Camp David

Camp David

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  489 ratings  ·  71 reviews
It's time to get serious with Britain's favourite funny man - Camp David, by David Walliams.

David Walliams has been the camp aide to the Prime Minister, the rubbish transvestite and the long-suffering wheelchair pusher for an able-bodied man. He was launched to fame with the record-breaking Little Britain, and for a while you couldn't enter a playground without hearing "eh...more
Kindle Edition
Published 2012 by Penguin

Amanda
I love watching David Walliams when he's on TV although I do not watch Britain's Got Talent as I don't like those kind of shows. David makes me laugh, his campness is appealing and now that he is happily married and about to become a father I have warmed to him even more.

If you want a laugh a minute book like the man appears on the TV then you are knocking on the wrong door. There is his trademark humour but a lot of the subjects in this autobiography are serious and on times moving. I never kne...more
Mike Jennison
I absolutely loved this book... I've never read a book what made me laugh out loud in one chapter and close to tears in the next. Unlike a lot of celebrity biographies where you already know 50% of the content due to celeb magazines and news... David walliams has had a very interesting life!!! Looking toward to book 2.
Katherine
This is the first autobiography I have read. I did enjoy it and it did make me laugh but it wasn't as funny as I anticipated. I found finding out about Walliams' life very interesting for the most part as I knew very little of him, however I felt the book lost its way in the middle. I struggled with his portrayal of his life with comedy partner Matt Lucas, I found it dry and fairly dull, which is odd because I had anticipated this partnership was going to be what interested me most about his lif...more
Victoria Leather
Enjoyable insight into David Walliams but I was left with the distinct feeling he had heavily self-edited to give the best view of himself. I guess all biographies do that to a degree but I came away from this feeling short changed and like I'd been spun the version of himself he'd like the public to have rather than the one which is real. Perhaps its just too early in his career to be really honest with himself, let alone readers. Another biography which could have done with another 10/20 years...more
Maria Teresa Zumbo
Pure honesty.. and a little bit of fun.

There’s a line in the book.

It’s at the very beginning, when you’re still not sure what the mood of the book is, in which David writes about a joke. It’s something fun and light, that inspires a chuckle.
After the joke David writes “Don’t worry, there are jokes in this book, the next one in on page 176”.

That’s as truthful as a warning can be.

This is not a comedy book and I didn’t start his autobiography under the impression that it would have been a fun re...more
Rachel
Easy to read, honest account of an interesting and likeable person. I enjoyed this far more than Russell Brands autobiography that I also read recently. Was interesting to read that David's relationship with Matt Lucas was not without problems. Not laugh out loud funny and some quite sad parts.
Stephen Lum
If you love 'Little Britain' you will love reading about David Walliams! The book is raw, funny, sad and a great read. I really enjoyed it. So much that it took me 4 days to read. Highly Recommend.
Clare Ricketts
Quite surprising, well worth a read!
Jordan Wharmsby
Call my a snob, call me cynical but I wanted more.

The book was somewhat enjoyable, but considering David's profession as a comedian, one would expect his autobiography to be written in a more comedic manner (à la Dawn French, Alan Carr et al.). Alas, it is in fact one of the dullest and most poorly written autobiographies I have come across. The editing is sloppy at best, with handfuls of grammar mistakes, typos and other misdemeanours, enough to send even the tamest of Anglophiles into a rampa...more
Beth Dean
Celebrity autobiographies are becoming somewhat of a weak spot for me now. This one however is not what I expected or really wanted I guess. I'm not talking about the serious tone because I was aware of his depression and other issues before hand. It was more the description of his work, either the work swallowed up his life ooorrrr his life didn't make the final cut because I felt constantly that I was hearing of his never-ending failures.

Now I realise that it being an autobiography he cannot...more
Julie
With a celebrity obsessed society it is hard not to feel that you know so much actors and singers mentioned in the media. This memoir for me, held quite a few surprises and made me like David Walliams more than I already did.

He was honest about his history of depression, and questions about his sexuality. I liked his humour and many of his stories or meeting reluctant celebrities. For years he struggled to find work, and make a living as a comedian and with their first radio show of Little Brita...more
Meg
When I first set about reading David's autobiography I fully prepared myself for a lighthearted and funny piece of text....WRONG.It tears off the comical mask David is presented to us all as and shows you the deep scars that he has been and fought through.It completely opened my eyes to a new David and taught me things (sometimes dark) about him I never knew before.Great read.
Olivia
‘Camp David’ is a sincere invitation into the life of David Walliams, exploring his youth and the painstaking years to the lead up of the creation of Little Britain, this book will leave you loving Walliams even more than when you first fell in love with him as England’s most camp comedian. Generously sprinkled with humour that you will make laugh out loud and tearful moments that are genuinely written of Walliams struggle with depression and suicide. Excerpts from Walliams personal diaries are...more
Polly Tiller
I saw David Walliams on the Jonathan Ross show. He was hilarious so when I saw his book I thought it is a must read. I like books by people who make me laugh. He is so honest and brave writing really personal things, like when he gazed into a woman's eyes all night and made her feel uncomfortable. Made me laugh. I was surprised when at the end of his book he reveals details of his terrible depression. I enjoyed his book.
Sasha
I only know of David Walliams through Little Britain and post LB shows so this look at his life before the fame was really interesting. And definitely a must read for any aspiring comedian. He is honest about the highs and the lows both personally and professionally. Particularly his battles with depression.
Ali
Very quick and easy to read, and fun. David has a lot of darkness in his life, which is sad to read about. The book is more about how he met Matt and created Little Britain though. At times it seems disjointed and jumps from one thing to the next, and some "jokes" are forced in, not all are funny.

He does however rely on diary entries a bit too much, and I spotted at least 5 typos in the whole book! He also has a habit of writing like Roald Dahl, something he suffers from in his children books to...more
Penni
My only complaint was that it didn't go on long enough--ending abruptly as the TV show was starting to take off and introduce the world to Matt and David. It was getting to the really good stuff.
Meg McAllister
If you don’t know who David Walliams is: SHAME ON YOU! You are really missing out on a comedic genius who, with Matt Lucas, has turned the sketch comedies “Little Britain” and “Come Fly With Me” into cult classics both here in the UK and abroad to millions of Britcom-watching Anglophiles. Charming, witty, aloof and sometimes a bit dark (great comedians are often one-step removed from depression medication), Walliams is a modern, metrosexual John Cleese who is rapidly compiling a comedic legacy o...more
Mark Glassman
I really enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, because it seems to be such a candid honest account of a life lived, both in the darkness of depression and the celebrity spotlight.
Joanne
This started off very promising but I became bored with it in parts as it seemed a bit repetitive. Also, it initially seemed to be written very much from today's aspect, eg, he talks a lot about "my Simon" which makes you think it takes you right up to his current life. Unfortunately, it sharply speeds up towards the end of "Little Britain" as if to suggest that the tale had to end there or he would have been in breach of contract for his next book deal!

That aside, it is the first autobiography...more
Chris Barlow

The only reason I didn't give this book 5 stars is because I'm just not a big fan of autobiographies. I love David Walliams, I think he's brilliant, which is why I picked up this book. It's very entertaining and very interesting as true stories go, reading this made me like him more, it's a very honest account. I hate the way celebs now seem to do their stories in different parts though, I know it's a ploy by publishing companies to make more money, and yes, I'll probably read the next instalme...more
Louise H
Really enjoyed, fun (but uncomfortable reading about the darker parts of his life) and very easy to read.
Ian
Much as I enjoyed this, it wasn't anything like as funny as I was expecting. It also felt a little smug at times, though this may be the writing style. The whole "crying on the inside" thing got a bit tedious as well. It sometimes feels like these celeb biogs are a competition to show how miserable they really are.

Perhaps I'm being unsympathetic; I do appreciate that depression is a genuine and serious illness. It just doesn't make for terribly cheery reading, which for a comedian's biography is...more
Dawn
Great read, what a complex but charming character
Natalie
This is such an interesting little book. While being quite insightful about his struggles regarding his early professional success and development.. there's a large chunk of the word count devoted to talking about David's lifelong battle with depression and his multiple suicide attempts and ideation. It's definitely worth a read. Hopefully, the next chapter of his life will be much happier though! Oh, and the talk about Rob Brydon and Mark Gatiss was a much welcomed bonus.
Hannah West
Love David Walliams so I did enjoy this book, a good holiday read and made me laugh. However I do feel that the more interesting darker aspects of his life and encounters with depression and suicide were glazed over. In retrospect he should of waited a few years and condensed some chapters so it felt less like a name dropping exercise.

I would of liked to read about his swimming achievements, career progress post Little Britain and finally finding love with his wife.
Georgie
I loved this so much. I've acquired a deep found respect for David after reading about his struggles in life (many of which I have first-hand experience with). He's truly inspirational and I think this book was exactly what I needed to read. Unfortunately, we can't all go check into The Priory when we feel suicidal, but the message of 'keep on keeping on' rings true. I really enjoyed his words and read the entire thing in less than a day. Highly recommended.
Beky
Great book to read. David Walliams has gone through so much, I hope his life improves. The book needed a better proof reader.
Kath

The cliche of the unhappy clown is nevertheless entirely appropriate in this brutally honest and moving autobiography. The good news as readers is that we know he is now happily married with a fulfilling, varied career. I did skim over some of the detailed information about his TV and radio work and there is no doubt he can be very coarse at times but he also comes across as very kind and caring as well as talented, but never arrogant.
Louise Armstrong
I never quite know what I'm looking for in an autobiography, but I didn't find it in this one. It's a list of what happened to Walliams, but for me, it lacks the insight that makes me care about what happened.

Maybe the jokes mean that the story stays on the surface. 'We wrote draft after draft, and after a while (like Scientology) we were so deep into it we couldn't get out.'

What does David Walliams think of MattLucas 2 7 May 28, 2014 02:00AM
  • Small Man in a Book
  • Still Standing: The Savage Years
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
  • Look Who It Is!: My Story
  • My Animals and Other Family
  • The Life of Lee
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • May I Have Your Attention, Please?: The Autobiography
  • I Am What I Am
  • Up and Down in the Dales
  • Anything Goes: My Autobiography
  • Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life And Career Of Warwick Davis
DAVID WALLIAMS is an actor and writer best known for his work with Matt Lucas in the multi-award-winning sketch show Little Britain. His debut children's novel, The Boy in the Dress, was published in 2008 to unanimous critical acclaim and he has since developed a reputation as a natural successor to Roald Dahl.
More about David Walliams...
Gangsta Granny Mr Stink The Boy in the Dress Billionaire Boy RatBurger

“It was impossible to sleep. Anxiety stopped me from falling asleep; depression woke me up.” 9 likes
“Comfort eating or pure greed? Most likely a mixture of both. Pieces of cake or biscuits or chocolate could instantly sweeten the sourness of my life. If you have been called gay all day in the playground, a cake when you returned home from school offered some consolation. A fairy cake of course.” 1 likes