Start by marking “Beneath Outback Skies” as Want to Read:
Beneath Outback Skies

Beneath Outback Skies

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  34 reviews

Paige Quinn will let nothing and no one distract her from caring for her wheelchair-bound father, Connor, and fighting for her remote, drought-stricken property, Banora Downs. Least of all a surprise farm-stay guest named Tait Cava
Published February 1st 2013 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Beneath Outback Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath Outback Skies

The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots by Loretta HillThe Rouseabout by Rachael TreasureJillaroo by Rachael TreasureJilted by Rachael JohnsThe Family Farm by Fiona Palmer
Australian Rural Fiction
35th out of 117 books — 75 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireEntwined with You by Sylvia DayReckless by S.C. StephensDown London Road by Samantha YoungNever Too Far by Abbi Glines
2013 Release books to read
299th out of 1,030 books — 2,302 voters

More lists with this book...

This is a thoroughly enjoyable Australian rural romance, set in an iconic homestead deep in drought country. I loved it that the POV character, Paige, is a very ungirly-girl; she spends most of the book in torn jeans, covered in filth, and limping (when she's not conveniently having to strip off while Tait grabs an eyeful!)

The sense of place is terrific, and the backstory and B plots are well-developed and all tie in together at the end. I particularly liked that it wasn't quite the usual insta-
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Beneath Outback Skies is a winsome contemporary romance set in rural Australia by debut author Alissa Callen, published under Random House Australia's new digital imprint, Random Romance.

Paige Quinn is determined that Banora Downs will not succumb to the drought forcing outback farmers from their properties, it is her home and despite the harsh conditions, she cannot imagine a life elsewhere.
With resources stretched to breaking point, Paige is unimpressed when her father, Connor, announces he h
When Tait Cavanaugh arrived on Banora Downs, Paige was at first astounded, then angry! She was trying to keep their drought ridden property on its feet, and she didn’t have time to babysit some city-boy who had come for a weekend of fun! She didn’t have the money or resources to let him have three showers a day either! And when Paige’s wheelchair bound father, Connor, said he’d agreed to Tait coming on a Bed & Breakfast arrangement, with Tait paying his way, she immediately told Tait that wh ...more
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
The Blurb
“A captivating rural romance featuring an indomitable young woman determined to save her family farm, and the city-boy who is not all he seems...

Paige Quinn will let nothing and no one distract her from caring for her crippled father, Connor, and fighting for her remote, drought-stricken property, Banora Downs. Least of all a surprise farm-stay guest named Tait Cavanaugh, whose smooth words are as lethal as his movie-star smile.

Except Paige can't help noticing that, for a city-boy, Tai
A. Bookzilla.
I read and loved the previous novel by this author, and I have to say that I liked Beneath Outback Skies more. Alissa Callen paints a wonderful picture that is Banora Downs, she creates great characters and there's a mystery that keeps you turning the pages.

Paige and Tait are opposites, a country girl and a city boy.

She's a tomboy, doesn't care much about luxuries and appearances, and her farm, that is her life, is completely broke. She takes an instant dislike to Tait for everything he represen
Beneath Outback Skies a 2013 Random Romance release and full length novel by Australian Author Alissa Callen is such a stunningly wonderful, well crafted book that I was completely swept away to the beautiful Australian Outback; only coming up for breath on the very last page.

Paige is trying to save her drought-stricken family farm, Banora Downs. It's the the worst drought ever and affecting everyone in her rural town. Times are bad and slowly everyone is selling off their farms to try and fina
Donna Keevers Driver
It's a rare book that can hold my attention as this one did. Loved everything about it -- the story, the characters, the writing. All of it. Well done, Alissa Callen, I say!
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
Mar 01, 2013 Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* by: Netgalley - Random House Australia
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

3.5 Pretty Stars!

Beneath Outback Skies is an Australian Contemporary Romance written by Alissa Callen. I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review by Random House Australia through NetGalley.

The Review:
I was pleasantly surprised by this little gem. Impressed with the simplistic writing style, interesting characters and the sweet romance, I was able to lose myself in the stark imagery and enjoy this fun read.

Story, Characters and Plott
Paige Quinn has the weight of the world on her shoulders. Returning home to care for an injured father, Paige has taken on full responsibility for the family farm. That is no small task but it is compounded by a severe drought. Paige’s father decides that he’s tired of watching his daughter suffer and secretly employees Tait Cavanaugh (farm consultant). Tait arrives under the ruse of a paying lodger on vacation.

The chemistry between Tait and Paige is almost immediate, but Paige has serious “city
Paige Quinn has too much on her hands taking care of her father and the farm to worry about pandering to some pretty city boy, no matter how much she thinks he's hot. Tait Cavanaugh, the city boy in question, does ask a lot of relevant farm related questions that put Paige on edge and his familiarity with the farm work is strikingly at odds with his city boy persona.

While the attraction between Paige and Tait is instantaneous, the build to romance and a relationship is slow between the two, and
Roz ~ My Written Romance
This review and others can be found at my blog, My Written Romance. Just click here.

I like that, despite the instant and obvious chemistry, Paige and Tait took their time. Both have past and present issues that need to be dealt with before they feel they're ready for a relationship.

Paige has the weight of the world on her shoulders, looking after her father (disabled in a farming accident) and trying to keep Banora Downs afloat. She's also been let down by a lot of people and finds it very diffi
Sam Still Reading
Feb 16, 2013 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Aussie outback romance
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: sent by publisher - thank you!
I’ve got a confession to make. I haven’t really read that many books set in Aussie farming communities. Why? Well, I used to live in one and I Know All About It. I know about the lack of privacy, the isolation and gossiping. What I have forgotten over the years is the good things about the country – safety, community and the beauty. Alissa Callen’s debut novel brings both the good and bad about the Australian bush to the fore.

One of the worst things about farming is drought. Unfortunately, our m
Paige is an only child who is dealing with keeping her family farm alive during one long drought. She is a country girl who was once burned by a city boy and has no intentions of getting involved again with one. Along comes Tait (city boy), who has reservations to stay at the property. The mysteries and white lies begin with his arrival. Paige knows the property is no longer listed for staying customers. As she is trying to figure out how he found a listing, she realizes he is not like the last ...more
Lily Mulholland
This was a wonderful rural romance! Set in outback NSW, at a station suffering from one of the worst droughts in living memory, Paige is just barely holding things together. Her delightful and occasionally devious father worries for her future and arranges for city slicker Tait Cavanagh to come and stay for two weeks. Sparks fly and what unfolds is a compelling and entirely pleasurable story of love, honesty and Aussie resilience.

I really enjoyed this book and will definitely read more by Alissa
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Great dynamic in the relationship that made it very believable. Beautiful storytelling that entertained the whole time!

It had really great flow and did the job of making me think at times. I love a book that taps into my e
Another great book by Alissa. This one tells the story of Paige who is slogging it out trying to save the family farm from going under during the drought, as well as look after her father who was injuried in a tractor accident but her father decides to try and lighten her load, as well as bring her some happiness by inviting a "City boy" to come and do a farm plan but Tait has his own secrets but will lies, the drought and small country town life bring them together or drive them apart? This sto ...more
Robyn Koshel
Beneath Outback Skies was a wonderful rural Australian novel. Alissa Callen has a way of describing things that you can almost feel the red Outback dust on your face and smell the diesel fumes of her Ute.

Reading the from grey skies of a spring that is yet to sprung; Beneath Outback skies transported me to a drought ridden Banora Downs with no rain in site. Alissa Callen give real gravitas to the drought that plagues most of the Outback. It is the realism that strikes me because most of us never
Nancy Goldberg
I loved this book because of the characters (hero and heroine, as well as secondaries) and the depiction of life in the outback. I love "travelling" to other countries in a book. Paige and Tait were perfect for each other, and I'm glad they finally realized it. I loved Anne, and even Mrs. Jessop was good for comic relief.

I'm looking forward to reading other books by the author.
I love a book that has a bit of mystery in it, so I found myself staying up late at night reading this book dying to know what happened next instead of going to bed. It became pretty obvious half way through the story though what the mystery was. Enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more stories by this author.
Anyone charmed by the Australian TV series McLeod’s Daughters will enjoy this warm-hearted read.

Like the ladies of McLeod’s, Paige is strong and capable, she can take care of herself, though she’s far more concerned with taking care of her dad, her farm, and their adorable animals, she doesn’t have time for much else, and she definitely isn’t interested in the fleeting affections of city boys. Enter city boy, Tait.

Eager to protect her heart, Paige is tough on Tait at times, so I was glad the aut
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

See my review at:
Paige Quinn runs the family farm in the Australian Outback. She comes across as a bit of a tomboy, certainly not one to ask for help for anything. She also comes across as a tough cookie - one would have to be to survive in that sort of job in that kind of terrain.

Her father is worried about her though. He is confined to a wheelchair after a tractor accident several years earlier, so he is unable to do any of the physical stuff. He can, however, do the paperwork and he knows that Banora Downs, t
BENEATH OUTBACK SKIES is an Australian rural romance and author, Alissa Callen, writes about what she knows as she is an outback girl herself. A light and easy read the story moves along at a fast pace. Whilst it is a romance, there was an element of mystery behind it – just who is Tait and why is he really there? Speaking of Tait, I really didn’t warm to him for a long time as he came over as being superior, as if he knew what Paige needed better than she did. OK, so maybe he did, but he didn’t ...more
Bree T
Paige Quinn is desperately trying to keep the family property, Banora Downs, alive. She is the sole worker these days, taking care of the land and cattle and looking after her father, who was crippled some years ago in an accident. Paige hasn’t told her father just how few cattle there are left now – it’s a hard struggle and backbreaking work but Paige doesn’t know or want anything else. Banora Downs is home and so she keeps drought proofing, keeps limping along, awaiting the end of the drought ...more
Emma Tingay
Headstrong Paige Quinn is keeping her family’s farm “Banora Downs” afloat almost single-handedly. With her father in a wheelchair, she is responsible for maintaining the farm and its animals in the middle of what seems like an interminable draught. They are lucky though, as “Banora Downs” is one of the few farms that have managed to survive the draught that is gripping outback New South Wales, Australia.
In the midst of this comes city pretty-boy Tait Cavanaugh, who is guarding some big secrets.
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics

To see review at Confessions

Warning – There is a teensy little spoiler about who Tait really is …

Paige Quinn has only one thing on her mind … keeping the farm running, making sure that Banora Downs earns enough to keep them in the black and not to let her father know as she promised her mother before she died. Her father Connor is disabled and she is the only surviving child and is determined to keep the place in her family as it has been for generations o
By: Alissa Callen
Published By Random House
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Book Blog For: GMTA

"Beneath Outback Skies" by Alissa Callen a good Australian rural contemporary romance. Paige Quinn being determined to keep her homestead, Banora Down, from being sold or abandoned. Paige is trying to save the family farm from 'going under due to drought. Her father has been injured in a tractor accident and trying to help and lighten his daughter load, he secretly employs
The first romance books I ever read were written by Australian author Lucy Walker so when I was contacted by Random House Australia to ask if I’d be interested in reading any of the inaugural titles from their new digital-first list Random Romance I jumped at the chance. I chose to read Beneath Outback Skies because of its outback setting, the blurb reminded me a lot of the Lucy Walker stories I’d read as a teen which were often set in the outback.

There was something very nice about reading a bo
Cate Martin
Loved it, didn't want it to end
Bec Whyte
Finally a refreshing read in the rural romance genre
Aussie Readers: New release - rural fiction - Alissa Callen 12 24 Jan 14, 2013 06:52PM
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Hope's Road
  • The Girl in the Yellow Vest
  • Just Breathe
  • The Kissing Season
  • Queen of the Road
  • Dark Horse
  • Shattered Sky
  • The House on Burra Burra Lane (Swallows Fall #1)
  • Bridie's Choice
  • Flame Tree Hill
  • Zoe's Muster
  • Darkening Skies (Dungirri #3)
  • The Farmer's Wife (Jillaroo #2)
  • Silver Clouds
  • Run to Me
When Alissa Callen isn’t writing she plays traffic controller to four children, three dogs, two horses and one renegade cow who really does believe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. After a childhood spent chasing sheep on the family farm, Alissa has always been drawn to remote areas and small towns, even when residing overseas. Once a teacher and a counsellor, she remains inter ...more
More about Alissa Callen...