Start by marking “The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)

The Beast (The Hunter Legends #1)

Demon possession has swept through Glace's neighboring kingdom, turning humans into hellhounds. These great, fanged wolves are wild, desperate, and hungry. Only the sworn Hunters have kept them back for five long, bloody years.

At the young age of fifteen, Belle LeClair became a Hunter. She no longer remembers how many hounds she's killed, or how many friends she's buried.
Published June 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Beast, please sign up.

Lindsay Mead Bunny is correct. The book will be released as an ebook and on paperback. I'm also looking into having hardcovers available at least through me.
Lindsay Mead The best I can say is early 2016. It's currently in the first round of preliminary edits. As soon as I can comfortably put a date out, I absolutely…moreThe best I can say is early 2016. It's currently in the first round of preliminary edits. As soon as I can comfortably put a date out, I absolutely will. In the meantime, the best way to follow the book's progress is to follow my daily vlog: youtube.com/LindsayMeadDailyVlog(less)

Micaela
Jul 07, 2015 Micaela rated it did not like it
Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton
Mar 29, 2014 Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-in-2015
Absolutely loved this! This was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast in a way that I have never read before. This was very creatively redone and I am in awe of the amazing writing .
All of your favorite characters are back along with some new ones. Belle is now not only smart and sassy; she is also a strong kick butt heroine. Her father is not the bumbling fool from the Disney movie but an extremely talented man. Gaston is now a more likable character and the prince well he is the prince.
This bo
Raven_Blake
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars
Review Also Posted Here: Dreamy Addictions

The Beast is a unique retelling of Beauty And The Beast fairytale which is one of my favorite fairy tales. When I first read the synopsis I knew I had to read it because I’m sucker for the B&B’s retellings. At this point, I’ve read a fair number of Beauty and the Beast retellings. Some were good and some were not. The Beast falls in the good category and I really liked it but still it wasn’t perfect because I really think the
Jedi Kitty
Feb 22, 2016 Jedi Kitty rated it did not like it
Shelves: time-waster
Deleted my review. It was just a negative rant about why I didn't like this book. Sadly my only real rant review keeps getting "likes". I guess rants are fun to read, but I'd rather forget a book I disliked and move on rather than keep being reminded about it.

Burn
May 08, 2015 Burn marked it as to-read
Because that's a very cool cover!

close-up:
Debra
Jul 18, 2014 Debra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy-read
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Aila
Jun 18, 2016 Aila rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised at this book! The writing got better as the book progressed (less choppy sentences) and this steam punk version of Beauty and the Beast is full of mythology that adds the most delicious twists and turns.
Elisha
Although I don't read a lot of fairytale retellings, I feel like I've seen Beauty & The Beast redone many times before. For example, I loved Angela Carter's spin on the tale in two of her short stories in The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, whereas I've come to dislike A Court of Thorns and Roses after initially loving it. And even though those are the only Beauty & The Beast retellings I'd read until this one, I'm aware that there are many, many others out there - Cruel Beauty, Beastl ...more
Karla
Jan 01, 2015 Karla rated it liked it
I have mixed thoughts on this one. On the one hand, I waited for literally 7 months for it to come out, and the premise and plot was awesome and interesting and I love reading fairy tale retellings of Beauty and the Beast, they're my favorite, and this one had an interesting take on the tale but on the other hand, it sort of fell a little flat to me.

The beginning was interesting because it set the setting up for the rest of the story. It was nice change of pace to have it be about hellhounds/de
Hannah L (Reviewer)
description
An epic Steam Punk recreation of the classic Beauty and the Beast, The Beast takes readers on an awesome adventure with danger, action, kick butt-ery and romance. Placing the reader in a French Steam Punk world, they are introduced to Belle LeClair and her band of Hunters. What do they hunt? Hell hounds. Being awesome fighters, they fight to protect their village of Glace from the enormous wolf-beasts. That is, until suddenly everything in Belle's life changes; when Belle's father goes missing.
Alexandra
Jul 08, 2015 Alexandra rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

While the idea behind this book is really really awesome (I just LOVE it - hellhounds!? yes!!), it just fell short for me. Wasn't my favorite retelling I've ever read.

My problems:
1. The unnecessary steampunk element - you don't need to add "steampunk" to make a book good. everyone nowadays wants to have "steampunk" in their description so people will read it (whether there's really any real steampunk in it or not). It just felt shoved in there just to make the book more popular. It ei
Bella~ "if its not baroque, don't fix it!"
Pardon my french (pun intended) I f***ing loved this book:D the whole steampunk theme was amazing! Actually this is the first time I've ever read one! It was absolutely perfect. Aleksander and Belle....omg! All the characters were strong and very well thought out! Definitely will recommend it to all who love fairytales with a twist!! Cant wait for the next book!!
Brad Sells
Jan 03, 2013 Brad Sells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-favorites
OH HECK YES. This was everything I was hoping for: awesome protagonist, killer action scenes, and world-building that was spectacular. Plus, the Norse mythology was epic. I'm absolutely in love with this one.

Full review to come.
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
Belle LeClair? The name is dutifully apt for a steampunk fairy-tale!
Jessica
Mar 27, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Solid 4 star book. I will write a more coherent review when I am not exhausted. For now, read this book people! Sassy female protagonist, great plot, and a mega swoon fest. Will not disappoint!
Camille
May 30, 2015 Camille rated it did not like it
what a rip-off of disney's full-length movie, beauty and the beast (my personal favorite). sure, there are a few twists you won't see in the film, but the similarities are just too obvious to ignore.
Célia Dias
Simply loved it.
Review to come
Amanda
This so far has been my favorite Beauty and the Beast retelling. It was slow at first the book's opening heavily focused on world-building that payed off in the end. The places that the book describes are explained with enough magic and fantasy ground in reality to make it seem like a real place. The characters are the usual suspects, Belle, Gaston, Belle's father, the Beast, but these characters that have appeared in various stories for well over a century have a fresh feeling. Belle is still t ...more
Dana Cuadrado
Mar 13, 2014 Dana Cuadrado rated it really liked it
The Beast is a steampunk fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairytale and my favorite Disney movie. This is Lindsay Mead's debut novel and I have been eagerly awaiting its release. This is definitely a book that I will be pushing on people as much as possible. I was absorbed into this book from page one and read it very fast. I think this book is fantastic and an incredible start to a series.

I really liked the characterization of Gaston. I felt like h
Maria Aguilar
Jun 19, 2016 Maria Aguilar rated it really liked it
I'm giving this a 4.5 stars cause I do want to give it full stars but it leave me hanging for more and I have to wait for the next book to come to know what happen next and I can't wait for the that.

The story begin with Bella, who is a hunter in her hometown and have been fighting the hellhound for the past five years, if I remember correctly. Her father was the first hunter because he was the one to discover one when he was on his way to the fair, making him captain and commander of the hunter
Cora
Aug 20, 2016 Cora rated it it was amazing
A lovely twist on a classic story.

So this story is a twisted version of the classic Beauty and the Beast. Belle is an outcast hellhound hunter, whose been training with weapons since she was a child. Her and the other hunters protect their city from invasion on horseback using 6 shot pistols, throwing knives and swords. She accepts her life and that the choices she has made have made her a less than desirable match/ bride. However, when she learns of the intentions of courtship from one of most
Becca
Sep 09, 2014 Becca rated it it was amazing
Check out this review and more at http://lostinlit.com

4.5 Stars

“Better to have a grand love that is fleeting, than one that is ordinary and lasts ’til death.”

I met Lindsay Mead on Twitter and discovered The Beast! Right away I contacted her about reviewing the novel! The Beast is a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast. Which is one of my absolute favorite fairy tales! It is not just any old re-telling, it is actually a fantasy steam punk re-telling! At first while learning about this novel, I was
Daniel Osborn
Aug 13, 2015 Daniel Osborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I not say about this book. So happy for this book to finally come out after months of anticipation. I am a huge fairy tale retelling person This is a retelling of the classic Beauty and The Beast. Beware this isn't your average Disney movie version. Hellhound as the beasts are called in this story has cursed through Glacé. Belle not your typical female was taught how to fight these creatures as an early child after her mother was killed. She was eventually made a hunter by the Catholic ...more
Alicia
Dec 28, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it
I have read a LOT of fairytale re-tellings. Some of them were super naughty, some were kind of childish, and some were really bad.

This one was none of the above. The Beast is actually good.

Things I liked:
- Belle was bad. ass.
- Steampunk elements that weren't obnoxious but nicely there.
- Leveraging dreams to get around that whole 'big bad beast' thing.
- No stockholm syndrom.
- There was a LOT of matching and alignment with the Disney film from my childhood and it was GOOD!
- The Norse mythology
Callie Stuck
Mar 26, 2014 Callie Stuck rated it it was amazing
I love Beauty and the Beast and this retelling was really good and a version that I had been waiting for. I have always pictured the story to be like this so I am very happy that someone has finally taken the picture and made it into something more! I really liked this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes fairy tales but is looking for that special something. My only problem with the book was there were some typing errors but being as this was the author's first novel I just looked o ...more
Rachel
Jul 11, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Since this is from an independent first time author I'm not too fussed about the grammatical errors etc. I thought the world building was interesting and would love to see it grow in the next three books of the series. Same goes for the characters. It was a fast paced read with many twists and turns. I'll try and write a full review soon but hopefully this mini review has conveyed my enjoyment in reading it and expressed my excitement towards the next book in the series along with the rest of th ...more
megan donaldson
Feb 27, 2016 megan donaldson rated it really liked it
Beauty and the Beast has been one of my favorite tales since childhood. I enjoy the moral of brains and beauty, heart over outward appearance. This retelling was both unique and intriguing yet kept the beloved essence of the tale. I loved it and look forwatd to the next two stories.
Geisha Cielos (loquaciousreaders)
Oh My Gosh! I was excited when I heard Lindsay Mead was writing a book based on Beauty and the Beast. And now that I have seen the cover. Oh My Gosh! I can't wait! Such a beautiful cover. That cover better not change.
Kenny Thomas
Jun 21, 2015 Kenny Thomas rated it really liked it
The book was pretty good, with solid action and character development. The characters, at least, Belle's developed and I can't wait to see how the other books are done. I would recommend this to general audience and it is safe for school.
Bevin
Aug 11, 2015 Bevin rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Did not finish at about 62%. I love Beauty and the Beast retelling. I did not like this one. The writing was shallow and full of errors. The world building made no consistent believable sense. I don't normally not finish a book but I couldn't finish this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Becoming Beauty
  • Ride the Wind
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • The Legend of Me
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • Scarlet in the Snow
  • All for a Rose (The Blood Realm #1)
  • Airships of Camelot: The Rise of Arthur
  • Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Roses  (The Tales Trilogy, #1)
  • Spinning Thorns
  • Beastkeeper
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Five Enchanted Roses
  • The Rose in the Briar
  • The Eye of the Beholder (Fairytale Collection #1)
  • Demon Storm (Belador, #5)
Author & Book Nerd - YouTube Vlogger - Budding Fitness Bunny - Movie Lover - Big Dreamer

Lindsay Mead lives in Michigan’s lower peninsula with her small dog, Suzie Q. When she isn’t writing, Lindsay is replying to comments on YouTube. There, she uploads videos about her everyday life and hosts a weekly live stream to talk about bookish stuff with readers.
More about Lindsay Mead...