Start by marking “Too Cool for School: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Too Cool for School: A Memoir

Read Book

Too Cool for School: A Memoir

TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL is an exciting new memoir by award-winning essayist and teacher Elizabeth Collins.

Elizabeth Collins was considered an excellent, highly qualified high school English teacher, but a sudden partisan attack against her purpose and character left Collins reeling and nearly destroyed her teaching career.

Collins became an unwitting target, “a too-liberal” tea
Paperback, First, 350 pages
Published March 14th 2013 by HBH Press

To ask other readers questions about Too Cool for School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Cool for School

Avi
Apr 16, 2013 Avi rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book with many layers and many issues to discuss. I see that new teachers approach it from a different perspective than I'd expect experienced teachers to. Is the issue that we as teachers should not blog? I don't think so, and that's not what Elizabeth Collins is saying. This memoir shouts back at those who criticize teachers for being human. It offers fabulous lesson ideas, and the traditional memoir bits are inspiring.

The "incident" as everyone is putting it, is horrifying.
Katie
Mar 21, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Very interesting look into educational politics. We often hear of unfair business practices in many industries, but mistreatment of faculty in private education was not something I had before considered. The takeaway message (for me, at least) is simple: parents need to be savvy consumers when deciding where to place their child into school. People boycott Apple for their treatment of workers, why don't educated parents adopt the same attitude and ensure that their children will be learning in ...more
Myrna
Apr 02, 2013 Myrna rated it really liked it
Another good find in the Goodread's giveaway section. Never heard of Elizabeth Collins or "the incident" that led to her being driven out of her teaching job. I did not win this book but it sounded interesting and interesting it was. This book has a little bit for everyone. Liked her style of writing too. While reading the book, I felt like she was on my couch sharing her toughts and ideas. Look forward to reading more from Ms. Collins.
Jenny Everett
Mar 27, 2013 Jenny Everett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads
I personally liked this book, and I had heard some stories about this, but I didnt understand what had happened. I personally am Liberal, and some of my teachers are, so I was confused on how that would destroy a career, and this book was eye opening.
Tia
Apr 27, 2013 Tia rated it liked it
First and foremost, per GoodReads guidelines, I must declare that I received this book free as part of their First Reads giveaway program.

It’s an odd feeling to want to like a book about something tragic, especially something that actually happened to someone. Similarly, it’s also a bit challenging to critique writing of something that actually happened because things in life don’t always come packaged like a well-polished story.

However, that being said, I did find some aspects of the book that
Nicole
Apr 22, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a first reads giveaway...

Memoirs/Biographies/Autobiographies are not my forte these days, I prefer to spend my free time in fictional places, but this book intrigued me. Partially because it was based in the education world (as I am) and also because it promised an honest look at how society, in this instance, failed to protect one of its own, instead ignoring, attacking, and judging.

I have seen the world Ms. Collins comes from...the good side and the bad. I have been the type
Sara Lim
Feb 19, 2013 Sara Lim rated it it was amazing
As a student, I've always wondered what it's like from the teacher's perspective. I will be receiving a copy of this book through the First Reads program, and I can't wait to find out how one teacher deals with an interesting situation. I will update this review when I finish the book.
Kerri
Aug 02, 2013 Kerri rated it liked it
I was interested to read this book to find out exactly what happened to Collins from her point of view. We have a lot in common. We are close in age. We both had similar educational experiences. We share an intense love of The Catcher in the Rye. We were both fortunate to find jobs teaching eleventh grade American Literature in independent, single-sex Catholic schools. However, that’s where the similarities end. I find myself in a largely supportive community where I feel my colleagues are on my ...more
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Aurelie
Aurelie rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Bilal
Bilal rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Amanda
Feb 18, 2013 Amanda marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Won as part of the Goodreads first reads program. Can't wait to read it!
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Elisa
Elisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2013
Mercedes
Mercedes rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2013
Margo Mckeon
Margo Mckeon rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Roy Wano
Roy Wano rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Kathy Stone
Kathy Stone marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Candyce Ragan
Candyce Ragan marked it as to-read
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Amanda Rhoads
Amanda Rhoads marked it as to-read
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
David Holtzclaw
David Holtzclaw marked it as to-read
David Bathurst
David Bathurst marked it as to-read
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Donna Willis
Donna Willis marked it as to-read
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Kate Neal
Kate Neal marked it as to-read
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Elizabeth Case
Elizabeth Case marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
  • My Isl@m: How Fundamentalism Stole My Mind---and Doubt Freed My Soul
  • Unconscionable (Richard Coleman, #3)
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Trouble on His Wings
  • Maverick Genius: The Pioneering Odyssey of Freeman Dyson
  • Walking In The Reign
  • The Sensationally Absurd Life and Times of Slim Dyson
  • Field Guide to Chicks of the United States
  • Saving the White Lions: One Woman's Battle for Africa's Most Sacred Animal
  • Choose Well To Live Well:The Five Fundamentals to Create a Fit, Healthy and Strong Body and Mind
  • Taboo's Child: An Erotic Novel
  • Grand Ambition: An Extraordinary Yacht, the People Who Built It, and The Millionaire Who Can't Really Afford It
  • Walk Like a Giant
  • Dangerous Road
  • Life in a Marital Institution: Twenty Years of Monogamy in One Terrifying Memoir
  • The Wolf and the Watchman: A Father, a Son, and the CIA
  • A Hero's Journey (Tales of the Scarlet Knight, #1)
  • The Gaggle: How the Guys You Know Will Help You Find the Love You Want