Start by marking “My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living” as Want to Read:
My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living

My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living

My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living offers a window into the life and mind of an extraordinarily creative person who was once told by a pottery professor that he had no talent and should consider another career. Not only did Adler stick with pottery, he transformed it from a dreary, unappealing summer camp craft into a contemporary signifier of modern, handcrafted l ...more
Published November 8th 2005 by ReganBooks (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living

Rebecca
Jonathan Adler's decorating style includes too many patterns for my taste, but I LOVE his use of color and indulgence ("minimalism is a bummer"). His writing style is hilarious (whomp, pizzazz, squillions, funsters, frumpiana, zsoosh, mantiques, traditionalia, and lots of franglais). I loved a ton of quotes, because I got really enamored with his artistic philosophy. His Musings are fun: http://www.jonathanadler.com/blog/

Favorite quotes:

"Adulthood can make you too serious. Modern technology can
Mortalform
Apr 17, 2011 Mortalform rated it really liked it
Mostly just browsed the luscious pages of color and pattern to inspire my own brightly colored space to be. Lovely coffee table sized book. The very tongue in cheek "rules" for different styles help remind me that decorating is not so serious. The point of doing (for me) it is having a space that has a fun, uplifting vibe- hard to create if you're too busy second guessing yourself or agonizing over what matches.
Sharon
Jan 12, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: interior-design
Truth be told, I was not always the biggest fan of Jonathan Adler's mod-inspired happy/hand-crafted/retro style. I personally prefer a clean and uncluttered look, and I thought that his aesthetic was a little too much DYI and tongue-in-cheek for my taste. However, after staying at the Parker Palm Springs hotel (designed by Adler), I became hooked with his unapologetically liberal use of color and pattern. Check out this book and see what I mean!
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
Mar 30, 2009 Kate SouthernBelleSimple rated it really liked it
For anyone who wants to be surrounded by color, this is a fabulous book. I love Jonathan's witty, quirky style and he is fearless when it comes to design. I wish i could wake up everyday in one of his rooms! he is definitely one of my style gurus (and it doesn't hurt that his partner is simon doonan! love him!)
Amanda
Feb 10, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-books
This book is eye candy for me. I la-la-love color. Adler is more eccentric and irreverent in his passion for it than I am, but he absolutely leaves an impression on pushing boundaries when you want to embolden a space or your home with color. Certainly, if nothing else, the pictures and his tips will add zest to how you think about design moving forward!
Westerville
Feb 04, 2011 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: adults, non-fiction
"Jonathan Adler's decorating style includes too many patterns for my taste, but I LOVE his use of color and indulgence ('minimalism is a bummer')." - Becky, Teen Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Greg
Jun 01, 2016 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a lot of fun, mostly photos of Jonathan's projects including the tres chic Park Hotel in Palm Springs. Jonathan has some amusing witticisms. A very light read.
Erin
Jun 29, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
this was far more entertaining than I expected. the style is a bit over the top for me, but adler's voice is great.
Muffy Kroha
Nov 14, 2007 Muffy Kroha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Color and 60's/70's country club aesthetic
If you have seen my house I don't need to explain why I love this book- If you haven't- drop by- I never leave home anyway!
Kirstin
Apr 22, 2008 Kirstin rated it really liked it
This is my ultimate source of inspiration. I adore Jonathan Adler and his entire philosophy on life. Part decorating book, part self-help. Unconventional. Pro-thrifting!
Jen
Feb 28, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
I didn't like the decorating in this one as much as his other two, but the man is still brilliant. Are we having fun in our personal spaces? We should be!
Rachael Graham
Mar 22, 2013 Rachael Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-craft
Love Adler, his designs, and his lease on life! This book really presents his prescriptions for design to make your surroundings the happiest they can be
Shasta
Shasta rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Laurie Wood
Laurie Wood rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Christina Cathcart
Christina Cathcart rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2008
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
May 11, 2009
Kirsten Elizabeth
Kirsten Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Vibri Wulandari
Vibri Wulandari rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2011
Maria U
Maria U rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2013
Casey
Casey rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2016
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Kara
Kara rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Incoronata
Incoronata rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Apartment Therapy presents real homes, real people, hundreds of real design solutions
  • Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • Downtown Chic: Designing Your Dream Home: From Wreck to Ravishing
  • Creative Walls: How to display and enjoy your treasured collections
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • Papercraft: Design and Art with Paper
  • New Decorating Book, 10th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens) (Better Homes and Gardens Home)
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
  • Real Simple: Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom, and Easy Ideas to Simplify Every Day
Jonathan Adler (born in 1966 in New Jersey, United States) is an iconic potter, designer, author, and personality. Adler launched his first ceramic collection in 1993 at Barneys New York. Five years years later he expanded into home furnishings, opening his first namesake boutique in Manhattan.

More about Jonathan Adler...