1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  942 ratings  ·  130 reviews
"QI" is the smartest comedy show on British television, but few people know that we're also a major legal hit in Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Africa and an illegal one on BitTorrent. We also write books and newspaper columns; run a thriving website, a Facebook page, a Twitter feed; and produce an iPhone App and a sister Radio 4 programme. At the core of what we do is...more
ebook
Published 2012 by Faber and Faber Ldt

B J Burton
If you enjoy the QI programme, you'll love this fantastic collection of the weird and the wonderful. I got it in the Kindle format for the bargain price of 20p and read it all the way through without stopping. Now I'm going through it again reading out loud to anyone who'll listen. One point is that this is probably better bought in the print format as it's the perfect coffee table book; your friends will enjoy dipping in - but they'll have trouble putting it down.
Nikki
I have a weakness for books like this. It's really just a list of facts, some more fascinating than others. The most memorable ones of course involve penises (Kinsey could insert a toothbrush into his, bristle-end first; barnacles can have penises up to 20x longer than their body) and such things. Many of them will be familiar from even a few episodes of QI (I recognised a handful from the most recent series, anyway), and some were unfortunately also very familiar to me from Mark Forsyth's The H...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
A great book to read before bed!

The average pencil can write 45,000 words, or a single line 35 miles long.

George W. Bush named The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle as his favourite childhood book. It was published when he was 23 years old.
Selena Beckman-Harned
Loved it! I thought a book of facts would bore me after awhile and I'd want to read something else, but I tore right through. The way it's organized is almost poetic!
Amy
As per usual, QI is very good in the sock removal department. I always adore the books QI put out, each with new and odd facts and figures you never knew you never knew, or ever needed to know for that matter. This is a quicker book to get through, filled with short snippets of information rather than the pages and paragraphs of previous books. I think John Lloyd mentioned in the introduction the lay out it similar to reading poetry, and it is. Each fact is centred and broken up into 3 or 4 line...more
Dan Smith
This was a bit of a disappointment. Not because I expected it to be a little more organised, like the other QI books I've got (not yet finished), and not because it is frankly a bit of a bog book. No, I was disappointed because the "facts" came nowhere near to blowing my socks off.

I may have become jaded, but revelations such as "In 2010, YouTube was watched 700bn times, but 99% of the views were of only 30% of the videos" were humdrum and unsurprising. "only 2% of women describe themselves as b...more
Elle
I absolutely adore random facts so when I saw this book I couldn't resist. It is an absolutely fantastic collection of facts that range from ridiculous, hilarious and really educational. I couldn't recommend it more for anyone who likes to know random things about our world and it is also great for those pub quizzes!
Marcus
An awesome book of facts. I could not put it down until I finished reading it. Some seem so unbelievable that you want to fact check them. When you do, you seem shocked that they are all true!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Amy
Bought this on Kindle for 20p and its brilliant. Definitely worth reading though its not one of those books you can read on you're own. You end up having to tell someone, anyone that you can find what fact you just read.
"The average house cat is faster than Usain Bolt." Fun little book, endlessly useful for annoying a spouse while he/she is trying to do something else.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
20p on Amazon as of Nov 24, 2012.

Side note: I wish these QI books were written by Stephen Fry.
Caitlin
It's hard to review a book that should really just be a reference text - but I read it almost in one go when waiting for someone at the airport when their flight got delayed.

Naturally, I love QI because I collect random bits of stuff (I am the pub quiz queen) - and I like how the factoids were arranged. I think if they had been put into sections then I would have skipped over some - although it does make it a little harder to go back to ones I want to use again.

That's right - one thing I found s...more
Selena
Yeah... Maybe because the title oversold it, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the facts in this book. I mean, "interesting"? Yes. "Blow my socks off"? No.

Part of the problem was that, because the authors were British, most of the facts were about Great Britain and in pounds, so it was a bit like gibberish to me, those parts.

Also, many of the facts seemed incomplete or incorrect. "The Japanese word for handbag is handubagu" for instance. Yes, that's a word for it, but my Japanese professo...more
Katie
We don't watch much television in our house (probably because we don't own one) but we do rather enjoy QI, not least because of the ever charming Stephen Fry. When I spotted this book available for the Kindle for only £0.20 I couldn't resist seeing how well the format of the television programme translated into book form. It also proved an excellent choice to test drive my new ereader.

This book delighted and frustrated me in equal measure. The facts in the book are the perfect blend of the bizar...more
Ann (Noumena12)
Sep 15, 2013 Ann (Noumena12) is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I heard an interview with the Author John Lloyd on NPR Saturday edition. During the interview, Author Lloyd "suggests that if this book were taught in schools, students would learn faster and remember more because it reduces real knowledge to its most interesting elements."

For example, from the first page of the book:
Asteroid 1,227 is called Geranium.
The ozone layer smells faintly of geraniums.
The center of the galaxy tastes like raspberries.
The universe is shaped like a vuvuzela.

Lloyd explains
Debs Taylor
This was another book I have dipped into, rather than read through - usually when I want something light to read before bed. Once you start,though, it's hard to stop as the facts are fascinating, bizarre, intriguing etc. The only thing I found a bit odd was you feel at times like there are tenuous links between the facts, but really I think there are very few, and that doesn't feel quite right to my brain, but that's me! A fun book if you like trivia.
Mary
I won this book through a First Reads giveaway. It's a cute book and does indeed include a lot of facts. A lot of the facts are funny and unexpected, and I enjoyed reading them. Several made me laugh out loud, such as this cute one: "It was 33 years after toilet paper was invented in Green Bay, Wisconsin, that it could be advertised as 'splinter free'". I definitely learned a thing or two from reading this book and feel it was time well entertained. I've got it sitting on my coffee table to ente...more
John
Some of the facts seem a bit dodgy, or not very noteworthy. (The fact about caffeine being made of the same elements as cocaine, etc. So are lots of things, it depends much more on the shape. The one about oranges being left-handed lemons is good, though.) But most of them are good.
Arthur Davis
This book seemed perfect for me because 1. I am a trivia and quiz show buff and 2. I find removing my socks quite tedious. This book did not disappoint and was filled with some amazing facts that I did not know, and will hopefully help me win a t-shirt the next time I attend trivia night at a local pub. There were some facts I already knew though and my socks remained firmly in place from beginning to end. So I guess my only criticism would be of the title. Perhaps it should have been called "1,...more
Lucy
This is going to be quite a quick review because I don't really have much to say.

As with the other QI books I have read (have a look at the QI tag) this book is full of interesting facts. It's immensely quotable and I did tweet quite a few facts whilst I was reading it. Unfortunately some of the facts repeated what had been on the TV show, and I think the majority of QI readers are probably also QI watchers.

I read this on kindle but I think it's probably better as a paper book, simply because it...more
Laura Spencer
This is brilliant!

From the amount of bow ties that have been sold after Matt Smith donned one to who can fit a tooth brush in their penis, if you want a book that will surprise you this is it.

First off, the binding is peculiar, however its wonderful and the pages are easy to turn, which is good, because you'll be turning all of them in one go. The size is lovely as well.

Aside from that little thing i noticed, this book is amusing, fascinating and so QI!!!!! A lovely snap shot into 10 years of a...more
Cyndi
I won this in Goodreads First Reads.

I love little fact books like this, but for some reason I didn't believe about half of these. I've studied human development, and some of the human development facts listed were only partially correct, not entirely correct, which lead me to doubt the credibility of some of the other facts (hence why I rated this as 3 stars).

I absolutely love the layout of this book, though. Each fact has some previous connection to the fact listed before it which made this rea...more
Umut
Good subway reading that doesn't reqire great brain effort. Quite interesting if you like learning odd things that you'd never think normally:)
Julie
Loving this book and the facts are so much fun. I share with friends and family.

**won book through a Goodreads giveaway
T.S. Watt
A fun collection of facts from one of my favorite shows. They really need to get QI on Netflix or something here in the US.
Kim Heimbuch
Review is written and will be posted here after it posts at its place of origin.
Jodie
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was a pretty good book. There were a lot of interesting facts. The facts didn't 'blow my socks off,' but it was definitely worth the read. A few of these facts were very surprising. It was an easy read and I really liked how the book was laid out. It was nice to read a little every night before I went to bed. I will look at this book again in the future. It is a nice book for the coffee table. I would definitely recommend this book...more
Archerjoe
Plenty of interesting facts. A few clunkers but a fun read overall.
Robbert Groeneveld
Short facts, quick to read through. Some very weird stuff in there.
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate Kindle (superlibrarian's help required!) 5 167 Jan 05, 2013 01:04PM
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots-Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History, and Beyond!
  • The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • Random Obsessions: Trivia You Need To Know
  • Weird-o-pedia: The Ultimate Book of Surprising, Strange, and Incredibly Bizarre Facts About (Supposedly) Ordinary Things
  • The Monarchy: A Critique of Britain's Favourite Fetish (Counterblasts #10)
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • The Science Magpie: Fascinating Facts, Stories, Poems, Diagrams, and Jokes Plucked from Science
  • The Further Adventures of An Idiot Abroad
  • Guinness World Records 2013
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • Back Story
  • God Bless America: Strange and Unusual Religious Beliefs and Practices in the United States
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planet
  • More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
  • The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide
  • Beyond Downton Abbey
John Hardress Wilfred Lloyd CBE is a British comedy writer and television producer. Lloyd was Trinity College, Cambridge, where he befriended and later shared a flat with Douglas Adams. He worked as a radio producer at the BBC 1974–1978 and created The News Quiz, The News Huddlines, To The Manor Born (with Peter Spence) and Quote... Unquote (with Nigel Rees). He wrote Hordes of the Things with And...more
More about John Lloyd...
The Book of General Ignorance The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is (Still) Wrong The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong The Book of the Dead: Lives of the Justly Famous and the Undeservedly Obscure If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times

“James Joyce married a woman named Nora Barnacle. She once said to him, ‘Why don’t you write books people can read?” 1 likes
“About 200,000 academic journals are published in English each year. The average number of readers per article is five.   The average numbers of readers of any given published scientific paper is said to be 0.6.” 0 likes