Start by marking “1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off” as Want to Read:
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,563 ratings  ·  146 reviews
"QI" is the smartest comedy show on British television, but few people know that we're also a major legal hit in Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Africa and an illegal one on BitTorrent.

We also write books and newspaper columns; run a thriving website, a Facebook page, a Twitter feed; and produce an iPhone App and a sister Radio 4 programme.

At the core of what we do is
ebook
Published 2012 by Faber and Faber Ldt

To ask other readers questions about 1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

B J Burton
If you enjoy the QI programme, you'll love this fantastic collection of the weird and the wonderful. I got it in the Kindle format for the bargain price of 20p and read it all the way through without stopping. Now I'm going through it again reading out loud to anyone who'll listen. One point is that this is probably better bought in the print format as it's the perfect coffee table book; your friends will enjoy dipping in - but they'll have trouble putting it down.
Nikki
I have a weakness for books like this. It's really just a list of facts, some more fascinating than others. The most memorable ones of course involve penises (Kinsey could insert a toothbrush into his, bristle-end first; barnacles can have penises up to 20x longer than their body) and such things. Many of them will be familiar from even a few episodes of QI (I recognised a handful from the most recent series, anyway), and some were unfortunately also very familiar to me from Mark Forsyth's The H ...more
Gerry
Quite interesting!

Fascinating facts about practically everything are included in this very readable volume. Because it is QI-based, one can assume that everything within the covers is genuine but one would be forgiven for wondering whether some of the facts are spoofs (of course, they aren't). But one could always consider Mark twain's quote, 'Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.'

For instance, did Sylvester Stallone really clean out lion cages before becomi
Stacey (prettybooks)
A great book to read before bed!

The average pencil can write 45,000 words, or a single line 35 miles long.

George W. Bush named The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle as his favourite childhood book. It was published when he was 23 years old.
Selena Beckman-Harned
Loved it! I thought a book of facts would bore me after awhile and I'd want to read something else, but I tore right through. The way it's organized is almost poetic!
Amy
As per usual, QI is very good in the sock removal department. I always adore the books QI put out, each with new and odd facts and figures you never knew you never knew, or ever needed to know for that matter. This is a quicker book to get through, filled with short snippets of information rather than the pages and paragraphs of previous books. I think John Lloyd mentioned in the introduction the lay out it similar to reading poetry, and it is. Each fact is centred and broken up into 3 or 4 line ...more
Dan Smith
This was a bit of a disappointment. Not because I expected it to be a little more organised, like the other QI books I've got (not yet finished), and not because it is frankly a bit of a bog book. No, I was disappointed because the "facts" came nowhere near to blowing my socks off.

I may have become jaded, but revelations such as "In 2010, YouTube was watched 700bn times, but 99% of the views were of only 30% of the videos" were humdrum and unsurprising. "only 2% of women describe themselves as b
Iman
I really don't know how I happened to have this book, but I do. And I read it. And, well, I LOVED IT.
It's full of interesting facts that would make you stop to contemplate the scientific wonders surrounding us, and other times you'd laugh and doubt the intelligence of man kind.

I've been for the past 3 days spewing trivia to everyone and anyone willing to listen. Here are some facts that I loved and just had to share:

- Sciapodous adj. used to mean having feet large enough to be used as umbrellas.
Elle
I absolutely adore random facts so when I saw this book I couldn't resist. It is an absolutely fantastic collection of facts that range from ridiculous, hilarious and really educational. I couldn't recommend it more for anyone who likes to know random things about our world and it is also great for those pub quizzes!
Marcus
An awesome book of facts. I could not put it down until I finished reading it. Some seem so unbelievable that you want to fact check them. When you do, you seem shocked that they are all true!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Amy
Bought this on Kindle for 20p and its brilliant. Definitely worth reading though its not one of those books you can read on you're own. You end up having to tell someone, anyone that you can find what fact you just read.
Rachel
Quite interesting facts indeed! I liked the way they did all poetically come together in the way they were ordered -- we can draw so many connections between the lines themselves.
"The average house cat is faster than Usain Bolt." Fun little book, endlessly useful for annoying a spouse while he/she is trying to do something else.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
20p on Amazon as of Nov 24, 2012.

Side note: I wish these QI books were written by Stephen Fry.
Krollo
A fun and interesting read, full of wonderfully repeatable soundbites. It never ceases to amaze.
Cait
Lots of interesting little facts, but would have liked more information about the background to some of the facts.

No page numbers and slightly weird (all centred) formatting. Was expecting pictures of some sort of variety to the text. Then again, it only cost me 20p on sale on Amazon so can't really complain.

Had seen lots of these facts on Twitter before, either QI tweets or retweeted by friends from fact tweeters.

Very quick read. Glad I only paid 20p or I would have been disappointed.
Maki (of To - Ra - Ba)
I absolutely adore QI. The show was my go-to distraction on days I didn't feel up to moving around while I was pregnant. So I jumped on the books the second I realized they existed. Thank you for that one, Goodreads recommendations.

1227 Facts is filled to the brim with snippets of information, the sort you would expect to hear Stephen Fry patiently explaining to Alan Davies. Of course, being just facts, there's no real substance behind them - each fact is delivered on its own, without any of the
Caitlin
It's hard to review a book that should really just be a reference text - but I read it almost in one go when waiting for someone at the airport when their flight got delayed.

Naturally, I love QI because I collect random bits of stuff (I am the pub quiz queen) - and I like how the factoids were arranged. I think if they had been put into sections then I would have skipped over some - although it does make it a little harder to go back to ones I want to use again.

That's right - one thing I found s
Selena
Yeah... Maybe because the title oversold it, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the facts in this book. I mean, "interesting"? Yes. "Blow my socks off"? No.

Part of the problem was that, because the authors were British, most of the facts were about Great Britain and in pounds, so it was a bit like gibberish to me, those parts.

Also, many of the facts seemed incomplete or incorrect. "The Japanese word for handbag is handubagu" for instance. Yes, that's a word for it, but my Japanese professo
Katie
We don't watch much television in our house (probably because we don't own one) but we do rather enjoy QI, not least because of the ever charming Stephen Fry. When I spotted this book available for the Kindle for only £0.20 I couldn't resist seeing how well the format of the television programme translated into book form. It also proved an excellent choice to test drive my new ereader.

This book delighted and frustrated me in equal measure. The facts in the book are the perfect blend of the bizar
Ann (Noumena12)
Sep 15, 2013 Ann (Noumena12) is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I heard an interview with the Author John Lloyd on NPR Saturday edition. During the interview, Author Lloyd "suggests that if this book were taught in schools, students would learn faster and remember more because it reduces real knowledge to its most interesting elements."

For example, from the first page of the book:
Asteroid 1,227 is called Geranium.
The ozone layer smells faintly of geraniums.
The center of the galaxy tastes like raspberries.
The universe is shaped like a vuvuzela.

Lloyd explains
James
The researchers (Elves) from the TV show QI collect some of their favourite facts in this collection. The book is easy to read and the facts are kept to short lines - they have even added a section on the QI website with more information on each fact and their sources. This idea works great as it makes the book more fun to read, with further information or references available should you want them.
Would also recommend listening to their weekly podcast - No Such Thing As A Fish
Debs Taylor
This was another book I have dipped into, rather than read through - usually when I want something light to read before bed. Once you start,though, it's hard to stop as the facts are fascinating, bizarre, intriguing etc. The only thing I found a bit odd was you feel at times like there are tenuous links between the facts, but really I think there are very few, and that doesn't feel quite right to my brain, but that's me! A fun book if you like trivia.
Douglas Lord
Do you need a replacement for Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader? I heartily recommend this.

Find reviews of books for men at Books for Dudes, Books for Dudes, the online reader's advisory column for men from Library Journal. Copyright Library Journal.
Mary
I won this book through a First Reads giveaway. It's a cute book and does indeed include a lot of facts. A lot of the facts are funny and unexpected, and I enjoyed reading them. Several made me laugh out loud, such as this cute one: "It was 33 years after toilet paper was invented in Green Bay, Wisconsin, that it could be advertised as 'splinter free'". I definitely learned a thing or two from reading this book and feel it was time well entertained. I've got it sitting on my coffee table to ente ...more
John
Some of the facts seem a bit dodgy, or not very noteworthy. (The fact about caffeine being made of the same elements as cocaine, etc. So are lots of things, it depends much more on the shape. The one about oranges being left-handed lemons is good, though.) But most of them are good.
Arthur Davis
This book seemed perfect for me because 1. I am a trivia and quiz show buff and 2. I find removing my socks quite tedious. This book did not disappoint and was filled with some amazing facts that I did not know, and will hopefully help me win a t-shirt the next time I attend trivia night at a local pub. There were some facts I already knew though and my socks remained firmly in place from beginning to end. So I guess my only criticism would be of the title. Perhaps it should have been called "1, ...more
Audrey
Interesting facts, but not presented in a way that makes it possible to easily retrieve for later use.

A stronger thematic organisation would immensely improve this book.
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate Kindle (superlibrarian's help required!) 5 168 Jan 05, 2013 01:04PM
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • The History of the World in Bite-Sized Chunks
  • London's Strangest Tales: Extraordinary But True Stories
  • The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
  • The Further Adventures of An Idiot Abroad
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff)
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • Random Obsessions: Trivia You Need To Know
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Mental Floss: Scatterbrained
  • Bond On Bond: Reflections on 50 years of James Bond Movies
  • The Secret Olympian: The inside story of the Olympic experience
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures
  • It's Not Me, It's You
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
John Hardress Wilfred Lloyd CBE is a British comedy writer and television producer. Lloyd was Trinity College, Cambridge, where he befriended and later shared a flat with Douglas Adams. He worked as a radio producer at the BBC 1974–1978 and created The News Quiz, The News Huddlines, To The Manor Born (with Peter Spence) and Quote... Unquote (with Nigel Rees). He wrote Hordes of the Things with And ...more
More about John Lloyd...
The Book of General Ignorance The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is (Still) Wrong The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong The Book of the Dead: Lives of the Justly Famous and the Undeservedly Obscure If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times

“About 200,000 academic journals are published in English each year. The average number of readers per article is five.   The average numbers of readers of any given published scientific paper is said to be 0.6.” 2 likes
“Almost any domestic cat can run faster than Usain Bolt.” 2 likes