Start by marking “Entanglement” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  696 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Can two particles become inextricably linked, so that a change in one is instantly reflected in its counterpart, even if a universe separates them? Albert Einstein's work suggested it was possible, but it was too bizarre, and too contrary to how we then understood space and time, for him to prove.No one could.Until now.

Entanglement tells the astounding story of the scienti
Published September 30th 2003 by Plume (first published September 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Entanglement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entanglement

A decent book on Entanglement. Suffers from my pet peeve in popular science books -- which is repeating lots of material you have read over and over again. You would think that someone coming to a book on Entanglement would have read a few other accounts of quantum mechanics before and doesn't need to re-read the familiar history starting from the Greeks through Planck and Bohr, Heisenberg and the rest of the early pioneers. Or that someone who wants an introduction to quantum mechanics would no ...more
Willa Grant
Feb 12, 2008 Willa Grant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I love this book- it is one that a non maths, non physics person can grasp- I re-read it once a year or so & continue to get new thoughts from it. The ideas presented are mind expanding.
Stan Paulsen
I think more than a few entangled photons whooooshed right over my head while reading this book. Still I was spellbound with what I did understand. I loved learning about all the physicists that contributed to quantum theory and the experiments they designed and performed. I had some trouble following some of those experiments, however, but the ones I did understand were absolutely fascinating.

Einstein was right, this stuff is spooky, but how very interesting! If it weren't for all of the rigoro
A great book on a very bizarre fact of quantum physics. Beware, you need a strong mind for science and logic, otherwise this book will smash your brain. Hmm... can teleportation be possible? This book, for the first half, has a lot of history about the theory.
Pierre Menard
Feb 06, 2015 Pierre Menard rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who would entangle his fate to other people’s.
Il volume del matematico e divulgatore scientifico israeliano Amir Aczel è interamente dedicato al fenomeno fisico dell’entanglement quantistico fra due o più particelle, che consiste in una correlazione che lega le particelle in modo tale da violare il principio di località e costituire il punto di partenza per tutta una serie di effetti sperimentali controintuitivi e di potenzialità fantascientifiche (dalla crittografia quantistica al teleporting) che si stanno a poco a poco concretizzando, pu ...more
Ergun Coruh
I first came across the bizarre quantum phenomenon known as "Entanglement" while reading a book called The Large, the Small and the Human Mind by Roger Penrose, then I lost it at some point. In desperation I started to search other resources and found this book called ENTANGLEMENT: The Greatest Mystery in Physics by science author Amir Aczel. Aczel describes Quantum Entanglement as follows:

"Entanglement is a superposition state of the states of two or more particles, taken as one system. Spatial
Bennett Coles
Promising a discussion on one of the most fascinating topics in modern physics, this book disappoints. It takes the reader through the usual "history of modern physics" in order to set the stage, but then it just becomes a series of biographies of 20th century physicists who happened to work on the question of entanglement. Only in the last few pages does this book actually talk about the fact that entanglement has been proven as reality, and virtually no space is given to discussing what it mig ...more
I have read more interesting and thorough explanations of entanglement, but this serves as a decent introduction to the phenomenon. Aczel never, ever should have described the physicists in question as being "entangled" with each other - way too cheesy and the meaning of the quantum phenomenon gets undermined. Any decent editor would have prevented such a thing. Also, it seems to me to be common knowledge that Grete Hermann called Neumann out for false assumptions before anyone else had the guts ...more
Tom Schulte
This is a quick, easy read with an enlightening high-level overview of the mysteries and advances in understanding quantum entanglement. This works very well as a an audio book, despites some tables and formulae. On the science side, I do not recall knowing that the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle could be demonstrated not only in sub-nucleon particles like the photon, but even in neutrons and atoms themselves. Making this book interesting is the colorful scientists like Bohr, Heisenberg, Fey ...more
Stephen Hackney
Intellectually stimulating! I understood little of the subject matter, i.e., the 'entanglement phenomena' of quantum theory; but the author presented the material in such a way that I found the threads that bound the scientific/historical discovery of the concept of 'entanglement' in theoretical physics absolutely fascinating. I am a lay person, not at all versed in the fields of science or mathematics, yet I shall be reading additional works by Amir Aczel.
Hendrick Mcdonald
An okay introduction to entanglement, but get lost in the history and experimental setups. The first 2/3 rds of the book focuses on general quantum physics history: Planck, Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrodinger, Pauli etc. I recommend A Graphic Guide to Quantum Physics for that. The coverage of entanglement itself goes through interesting experiments, but the interesting results and what they mean, how to interpret them, gets lost in explaining the history and setup to the experiments, without ...more
Abbastanza piacevole da leggere, anche se tradisce un po' le attese. La maggior parte del testo racconta le vite degli scienziati che hanno lavorato sull'entanglement. La sensazione che conoscendo cos poco di questo fenomeno, ed essendo molto complesso per una divulgazione al pubblico, si sia cercato di semplificare e "rimpolpare" con le biografie.
Non richiede conoscenza della matematica, anche se mette alla prova il senso della logica e dell'intuizione.
This book is light (very light) on the science and heavy on the history. Not a bad thing, but if you read this book hoping for some actual information about entanglement from a scientific viewpoint, you'll be disappointed. The first 80% of the book is a history of physics, told in short biographies of various physicists throughout the years. This is actually fairly interesting, so I can't complain too much.
Wm Pope
A reasonable introduction to quantum entanglement. The author tries to approach the material from several directions to make entanglement easier to understand. The book uses the people who have been involved with the topic to frame the different explanations. This helps understand that the space is evolving and the knowledge of entanglement is growing. I am not comfortable with the degree of assurance the author presents, not about entanglement itself, but about how entanglement fits into a larg ...more
Mark Duckworth
I was hoping for more explanation of what makes entanglement so strange. It just doesn't seem that strange to me, compared to the original double slit experiment. You can't use entanglement's "spooky action at a distance" to send a message faster than light, so what is the important consequence? I must still be missing something.
Interesting read up until the final quarter of the book. Then Aczel went haywire into describing experiments sans the mathematics nor the actual experimental setup and this book took a turn from five stars down to three. Unfortunate, but if pressed I'm afraid that I would not recommend this book.
Aug 17, 2015 Juan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: popular science readers
Recommended to Juan by: AudioBooks
Shelves: popular-science
This is a must reading for anybody interested in entanglement. The author approach this problem from the historical point of view. The stories told in the book are interesting and enlightening. The narrative is light and clear. Can be read easily by anyone without any mathematics of physics training. I really enjoyed the book.
William Boyle
So -- subatomic-size particle "entanglement" is instantaneous "action-at-a-distance" -- "a nonlocal interaction that acts faster than the speed of light" and which has received abundant experimental confirmation -- However, it cannot be used for faster than light communication --
...Why is this important?
Lage von Dissen
Quantum entanglement is a fascinating subject indeed. The implications of this phenomenon are far-reaching -- from unbreakable quantum encryption to teleportation. This among other quantum phenomena, left Einstein scratching his head. Either way, it serves as another piece of the puzzle towards finding a theory of everything (TOE). Trying to reconcile quantum mechanics with a theory of gravity is the current dilemma among scientists in the field, and this is but one finding to help fill in the b ...more
David Wilson
Excellent intro to quantum entanglement concepts
I didn't truly read this in one day. I read the majority of it though at the book store this morning. I was interested in the subject matter but the book (as it explains in the intro) tries (in multiple ways) to explain entanglement. I thought there was a lot of excess (although interesting), information about the scientists that worked on quantum mechanics. Since the topic is so heady and beyond me, I didn't absorb much about entanglement other than Feynman's diagram. A neat book, I wish I woul ...more
Nick Gotch
A decent review of quantum theory, it's development, the people who discovered it, and especially the experiments and the subject of quantum entanglement. I would *NOT* recommend this to an amateur of physics/quantum mechanics as it's definitely very heavy stuff, but if you are on that level it is solid. Some parts seem a little repetitive but that's part of what the author was going for (different perspectives on the same thing.)
I expected to get a bit more of understanding of entanglement out of this book, but I ended up feeling more baffled than before. Explanations of the actual experiments which supposedly proved this phenomenon lacked in details and lucidity. The parts I liked most about this book were related to biographical and anecdotal facts about the scientists entangled with entanglement discovery and research.
A very interesting topic - but, unfortunately, with a poorly written text - I wanted to give it 4 stars. This could have used some editing - however, if you really want to get a good overview of the latest trend in Physics on quantum entanglement, spooky action at a distance and where our technological future may go - give this book a try. A quick read.
I dense book on the strange phenomenon of quantum entaglement. Lots of interesting and thought provoking material, but sadly written like a cross between a scientific paper and a high-school biography assigment. Plus the content well interesting seemed to fade into a dense morass of technical information by the end of the book.
Nov 09, 2010 Amé is currently reading it
Shelves: quantum
Well written, easy to follow introduction to the concept of 'entanglement' and its development in the history of Quantum physics. It belongs to my layman science consolidation readings on my favourite subjects (and their interactions): Quantum Physics, Chaos Theory, Evolution and Depth Psychology.
Steve Schlutow
This was a pretty good book. I learned a few new things about the history of quantum mechanics.. Also, I learned some other ways of thinking or approaching ideas--problems.. Anytime an author can do that, I believe the author has written a good book..
Stephen Cranney
I was a big fan of his "Mystery of the Aleph" book, but was disappointed by this one. Much of this is a history of quantum mechanics in general, and he doesn't do a good enough job of bringing it down for the layperson or avoiding trite historical details.
Randal Samstag
A book by a mathematician who has retired to writing popular books about mathematics and science. I got it out of the Seattle Public Library. A good popular introduction to the strange science of entanglement. Seek more and you will be even more puzzled.
Hugh Chatfield
Einstein was wrong: God does play dice with the universe. This groundbreaking book is an introduction to the weird world of the quantum, via the bizarre phenomenon called entanglement - one of the key mysteries revealed by quantum physics.
Popular Science B...: Quantum high 6 38 Sep 16, 2012 11:56AM
  • The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down
  • Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law
  • Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time
  • Where Does The Weirdness Go?: Why Quantum Mechanics Is Strange, But Not As Strange As You Think
  • The Lightness of Being: Mass, Ether, and the Unification of Forces
  • A Reader's Guide to Contemporary Literary Theory
  • The Cambridge Companion to Kant
  • The Day We Found the Universe
  • Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy
  • The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle (Companions to Philosophy)
  • The Quantum Theory of Fields: Volume I, Foundations