The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 16

The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 16 (The Year's Best Science Fiction #20)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Michael Swanwick, Geoff Ryman, Allen Steele, Nancy Kress, Robert Reed, Michael Cassott, Charles Stross are just some of the high-profile names that feature in this volume of what is now regarded as essential reading for every science-fiction fan. This year's edition includes not just the biggest names in science-fiction writing but also many of its other brightest young ta...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Robinson Publishing (first published 2003)

Greg
This is a book I read mainly between May and August 2004 so, in writing a review of it over eight years later, I would not be drawing on any detailed recollections of the stories in this anthology! Rather, I thought I would add some brief handwritten notes I took at the time I read the book. Should I re-read this book at any stage, I might flesh out my comments a bit more.

Ian R. Macleod's novella, 'Breathmoss', is a coming of age tale set on a culturally Arabic planet where the majority of human...more
Princessjay
Jan 01, 2013 Princessjay marked it as cannot-finish  ·  review of another edition
BREATHMOSS. Ian R. MacLeod. 3.5 STARS.

THE MOST FAMOUS LITTLE GIRL IN THE WORLD. Nancy Kress.

THE PASSENGER. Paul McAuley. 3 STARS. A working crew in space found themselves with a special passenger(view spoiler). Straight-forward narrative.

THE POLITICAL OFFICER. Charles Coleman Finlay. 2.5 STARS. Claustrophobia & political shenanigans war with one another on a space s...more
Joe
Chuck
This anthology series is really excellent for the science fiction fan who doesn’t have lots of time to read. I own a copy of an earlier installment of this series, so after reading through two volumes I have to give them two thumbs up. Dozois starts off with a very useful and concise overview of the year in science fiction, ranging from small zines to Hollywood movies. For those of us who are getting into publishing for the first time, this overview is really helpful.

This anthology contain short...more
Lord Humungus

My copy of this collection is water damaged and well worn. Though it didn't have any "all-time great" pieces, the stories were consistently very good and this would probably be a good collection to start with. In fact I probably bought this as a gift for at least one person.

Great stories by Ian R MacLeod, Kress, McHugh, Sterling, Ian McDonald, John Kessel, Chris Beckett, Geoffrey Ryman, Swanwick, Eleanor Arnason, Kage Baker and Alastair Reynolds. This was probably my first introduction to Kage B...more
Fred
2007 was not a good year for "The Year's Best Science Fiction". Comparatively speaking, this was by far the worst of this annual anthology that I have read yet. There were a few gems in here but all in all, it was dry, anti-climactic, and boring as can be. I was really disappointed with this particular one. Not enough to make me avoid the rest of them because some of the the others have been amazing. But, if you're looking to start reading through all of these I would advise you to grab another...more
Rob
I was only able to get halfway through it. Out of all of the short stories I read, I didn't find a single one that I genuinely liked, and only two got to "OK".

All of the stories seemed to be trying very hard to be artistic and/or weird. At first I was going to go through the entire book because it's a book of short stories - each new story is a chance for a fresh start. But after getting halfway through, I decided to bag it.
Dev
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Patrick
12/27/11: "The Passenger" by Paul J. McAuley
12/27/11: "The Millennium Party" by Walter Jon Williams
12/30/11: "The Political Officer" by Charles Coleman Finlay
12/30/11: "Slow Life" by Michael Swanwick
Jar
This is comment, not a review.
Different stories have the same name--Robin--in them. Rather universial, that name.
Alan
Best stories:

Halo – Charles Stross
Winters Are Hard – Steven Popkes
The Potter of Bones - Eleanor Arnason
Terry
Typical collection of short stories, with nothing extraordinary.
Paul
Nov 01, 2008 Paul marked it as sf-anthologies-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dozois
Best so far:

In Paradise, Sterling

5/26
Chris
Loved it as usual with Dozois work.
Michelle Ruedin
Michelle Ruedin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Timo Rissanen
Timo Rissanen marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Jun 06, 2014
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
  • The Mammoth Book Of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
  • Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2B
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection

“The gifts we received from the dead: those were the world's only genuine gifts. All other things in the world were commodities. The dead were, by definition, those who gave to us without reward. And, especially: our dead gave to us, the living, within a dead context. Their gifts to us were not just abjectly generous, but archaic and profoundly confusing.

Whenever we disciplined ourselves, in some vague hope of benefiting posterity, in some ambition to create a better future beyond our own moment in time, then we were doing something beyond a rational analysis. Those in that future could never see us with our own eyes: they would see us only with the eyes that we ourselves gave to them. Never our own eyes: always with their own. And the future's eyes always saw the truths of the past as blinkered, backward, halting. Superstition.”
1 likes