All He Saw Was the Girl

All He Saw Was the Girl

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Praise for Peter Leonard's QUIVER:
"Memorable characters and dialogue - come to think of it not unlike what Leonard's father, Elmore Leonard, creates."
- Seattle Times
And for TRUST ME:
"Breathtaking is a reviewer's cliche. But it is simply the best way to describe the pace of Peter Leonard's latest offering."
- The Washington Times
And for VOICES OF THE DEAD
"If you haven't...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Story Plant (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about All He Saw Was the Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All He Saw Was the Girl

Katy
Apr 01, 2012 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mafia-based thrillers/suspense
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Disclosure: I received a free eGalley eBook ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Rome: McCabe and Chip, two American exchange students, are about to become embroiled with a violent street gang, a beautiful Italian girl, and a flawed kidnapping plan.

Detroit: Sharon Vanelli’s affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer, is about to be discovered by her husband, Ray, a secret service agent.

Brilliantly plotted and shot through with wry humor, All He Saw was the Girl sees thes...more
Viviane Crystal
Two college students, McCabe and Chip, are students out on the town who've had a wee bit too much to drink. Chip gets the bright idea to steal an Italian taxi and enjoy a joy ride. But things don't turn out so well for McCabe. Chip's very wealthy and powerful father saves the day by rescuing his son and giving him one tongue lashing. He does succeed, however, in infuriating some mob characters in prison over a pack of stolen cigarettes. McCabe, meanwhile, is warned by the College Dean that he wi...more
Paula Oliver
This just like Voices of the Dead picks up quickly on. We meet two American Exchange Students McCabe and Chip, who start off spending time in a Italian jail. Chip's Senator father quickly mops up their mess. Little do either boy know that leads to McCabe being kidnapped thought to be the Senator's son. The tables turn quickly when McCabe decides to get the ransom money back. With the help of Angela the girl who used him to set up the kidnapping. The find themselves working together to get the mo...more
Brian Blocker
Rachel French
This novel is a great mixture of love, action, and culture. The way the author jumps from one person's perspective to the next is exciting and allows the reader to know more about the story than the characters do. Beginning with drunk college guys crashing a taxi and heading for jail, All He Saw Was The Girl takes the reader on a thrill ride through kidnapping attempts, love affairs, and the inner workings of the Italian mafia. The reader learns of the strange ways lives can become tangled toget...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This was an unexpected hit for me. After a slow start -- in which I kept picking up and putting this one down -- around page 80 I suddenly got sucked in, and I found Leonard wasn't doing a standard double cross crime tale.

Initially confusing -- there's about three story lines that eventually come together -- I got hooked by Leonard's breezy writing style and slightly sarcastic style. Quip-y action flick, all popcorn and soda, this was a perfect beach read.

Charles 'Chip' Tallenger III, spoiled...more
Jo Linsdell
Rome: McCabe and Chip, two American exchange students, are about to become embroiled with a violent street gang, a beautiful Italian girl and a flawed kidnapping plan.

Detroit: Sharon Vanelli's affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer, is about to be discovered by her husband, Ray, a secret service agent.

All He Saw Was the Girl takes place as these two narratives converge in the backstreets of Italy's oldest city.

Peter Leonard throws you straight into the action in this book and keeps the stor...more
Karen
Why I read this book...I liked the title. Not sure what I thought it was going to be, but it was a nice, fast paced crime/thriller with a couple of interconnected plots. McCabe, a kid from Detroit and attending college in Rome, goes on a joy ride in a stolen taxi with his rich friend Chip and catches the attention of the local mafia. Ray, the secret service agent who has had enough, quits his job and goes home to Detroit to find his wife is missing and the all clues lead to Rome. Overlooking the...more
Glen
A fairly good suspense novel, that brings a bunch of Detroiters together in Italy.

The wife of a secret service agent has an affair with a mafioso, and decides to leave with him to Italy, without leaving a note. Naturally, the agent decides to track her down.

Meanwhile the friend of a Senator's son gets into some trouble in Italy as well. His picture is misidentified as the Senator's son, so a gang of lowlifes decide to kidnap him.

In order to get the ransom money back, the friend decides to kidn...more
Julia
ETA: BTW, the Elmore Leonard comment below was not an insult. ;^)

I finished it. Perfectly acceptable entry into the genre. Still, as noted below, I am not fond of the overwhelming gender stereotypes of the genre.

__________________________

I'm halfway through the book, and I just scanned the GR reviews... and I cannot believe that NO ONE has mentioned how stereotypical, shallow, and pathetic all of the women characters are!

To be fair, so are the male characters, but since they are the ones in the...more
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I first received this book two years ago, it was the first book I ever agreed to review as part of a book tour and I felt terrible that I just couldn't get into it that I promised I'd give it ago at a later date.

Well this year was the later date and yet again it just didn't grip me, back then I should've known I wouldn't finish it even after time had passed but I also was very stubborn and refused...more
Italo Italophiles
All He Saw Was the Girl is a deft crime thriller adventure story. The fast-moving story is matched perfectly by the quickly-paced prose. Deftly-drawn character sketches; exotic U.S. and foreign locales; hot, trashy women; hot tough guys and gangsters; action scenes galore; a twenty-something male protagonist who surprises people at every turn: All He Saw Was the Girl is a book begging to be adapted to film.

The story is set partially in Detroit, Michigan, but mainly it is set in and around Rome,...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Detroit and Italy.....what could these two cities have in common? You would be surprised.

There was a connection between the two cities, and it definitely wasn't a good connection. The connection involved murder, marital affairs, the Mafia, street gangs, and kidnappings.

The book's chapters slide from one side of the world to the other and ultimately end up in Italy along with all the characters. The characters are vividly described along with the action. You will feel the tension among the chara...more
KyBunnies
At the beginning of the book I did not understand how the author was going to connect everything together. Two different cities, a handful of people and at the time it seemed like two different plots. However the author brings it all together for the reader. The author has readers hopping around the world, from the USA to Italy. This book will keep the reader entertained and wondering what is happening next.

I loved how the author included several different mafias in this book. This is not just a...more
LORI CASWELL
Two story lines collide in All He Saw Was The Girl.

McCabe and Chip are two American college students studying abroad in Italy. A freak incident, a case of mistaken identity, and a beautiful Italian girl, lead to more than one exciting chase.

Sharon is a bored wife of a secret service agent. He is always traveling leaving her home alone. Her choice to have an affair with Joey Palermo to add a little excitement to her life may cost her dearly.

When Elmore Leonard is your father good writing is in th...more
Cheryl "Mash"
All He Saw Was The Girl by Peter Leonard
Published by The Story Plant
ISBN-10: 1611880424
ISBN-13: 978-1611880427
At the request of The Story Plant, an ARC digital version was provided, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.

Synopsis (from publisher):
Rome:

Detroit:
Sharon Vanelli’s affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer, is about to b...more
Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
I can, in no way summarize the plot better than the summary from Goodreads. Those few lines tell the tale very well.

The story starts off in Rome with two students who are out to have fun. But their fun night quickly turns into a nightmare that they have to live through. Chip is pulled out of trouble by his all too influential and wealthy father. McCabe on the other hand lands himself into further trouble all because of his loud mouth. He is mistaken as Chip and is kidnapped by mobsters and lured...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic form of this book for review in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review and did not receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First of all, I love Italy, and so the second I heard this took place in Rome, I knew I had to read this one. Plus the mafia is involved...come on...how can you not read this one?

Leonard exceeded my expectations in every manner po...more
gautami

After reading Voices Of The Dead by Peter Leonard, I decided that I was going to pick all his books. So when I was offered to review All He Saw Was the Girl, I was thrilled. I was notdisappointed at all!

I had a roller coaster ride throughout the novel. It has the ingredients of an action movie. Drug Mafia, kidnapping, car chasing, and a love story. And all that happens in Italy, that too due to a misunderstanding! One American exchange student is kidnapped by mistake and ransom is paid for him....more
Robert Carraher
That rule is from Elmore Leonard’s New York Times article, “Easy on the Adverbs, Exclamation Points and Especially Hooptedoodle”. His son, Peter certainly had memorized that rule, along with the rest, in writing this marvelous novel. The prose are terse, hard-bitten and to the point. When a story opens with the protagonist in jail, well, it’s got to be dark and hardboiled. And true to the Leonard name, its slapstick-caper-with-great-dialogue in vintage.

When American college buddies, the rich and...more
Kathleen
Two narratives ... two cities ... both intertwining to provide a suspense thriller that is one heck of a roller coaster ride!

William McCabe and Charles "Chip" Tallenger III are American exchange students studying abroad at Loyola University in Rome, Italy. McCabe is from Detroit, Michigan, and is on an academic scholarship, while Chip is the spoiled rich son of U.S. Senator Charles Tallenger II from Greenwich, Connecticut. While out partying one night, Chip and McCabe steal a cab and end up lock...more
Fenny
All He Saw Was The Girl is a fast paced book with chapters switching between the two-story lines while weaving it into a climax. It is easy to read without much depth of characters. The wry humor used brings on some smiles, but gets a bit old after a while. As to the plot, there are a few nice surprises with one good twist nearer the end. I enjoyed the descriptions of Italy and Rome, which allowed me to picture the scene well.

For some reason, this book didn’t grab me as much as I expected. Using...more
Dana Burgess
Peter Leonard has written a very different sort of book than what I've been reading lately. It took me a chapter or two to get into it because it is very stark and abrupt. From the first word, the reader is thrown into the action. There is no time to build characters or explain what is going on - that comes eventually, but it is a bit of a shocking beginning. It's kind of like being tossed into cold water: it takes a minute to get your bearings. Once the shock wears off you find that the effect...more
Vicki
Do you like action? This book has plenty…right from the beginning.

The books starts in Rome with Chip and McCabe, two exchange students who steal a cab, try to help a girl in trouble and end up in jail. Then in Detroit, we read about Sharon Vanelli, who is married to Ray, a secret service agent. She’s having an affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer. And Ray is about to find out about it. Could things get any worse for them? Oh yeah!!

There are so many twists and surprises in this book that it...more
Sherry Fundin
McCabe and Chip, a senator's son are going to school in Rome. Chip steals a taxi and they are arrested. The Senator greases some palms and they are released.

As McCabe sits at the cafe waiting to meet up with Chip and some friends, he sees "the girl". She encourages him to walk with her and when they meet up with "Fabio", who is a tough guy Mafia man he met in prison, McCabe realizes she has set him up to be kidnapped. They have mistaken him for Chip because of a mix-up in the newspapers. They ha...more
Alan Williams
A few months ago I had the pleasure to read “Voices of the Dead” by Peter Leonard. I said at the time I would be tracking down some of the authors other books, but I didn’t realise that I would be reviewing another one from Partners In Crime Tours quite so soon. I simply couldn’t resist the request for the review, but then I did wonder if it could be quite as good as Voices of the Dead. Simply put … I was not disappointed.
I couldn’t put “All He Saw Was the Girl”, down and read it in a day. Peter...more
Keith
The issue with this novel is its length. At only just over 200 pages, the story felt rushed, characters and plot lines underdeveloped. Large holes in the story were hurdled over and backfilled with quick, dismissive summaries. Had the author taken the time, I would have gladly read the entire 400 pages that should have been dedicated to the story's development and having done so, finished a 4 or 5 star novel instead of a 3 star one...
Marjorie
The first page tells you trouble is brewing.
Two university friends McCabe and Chip are enjoying their lifestyle in Italy.
One is wealthy, the other not so much.
Seeing a damsel in Distress and trying to rescue her leads to a case of
mistaken identity, because this girl has very close ties to the mafia.
Meanwhile, in the States, Ray a secret service agent lives with his wife
Sharon. She is tired of her boring life with him and hooks up with a
fella named Joey. You guessed it a member of the mob with hu...more
Beth
A love story mixed with a Mafia story. Kidnapping, murder, adultery with a almost happy ending. College boys in Rome for college, one rich, one poor. The poor one is mistaken for the rich one and is kidnapped. Ransom is paid then the poor one figures out how to get the money back from the kidnappers. Some suspense.
Kristen
Great mystery and I enjoyed the love story. The writing was hard to follow as it changed point of view a lot. As I continued to read I got used to the author's writing style. It did keep me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next and how it would all turn out.
  • Love Thy Neighbor
  • Leave No Stone Unturned (A Lexie Starr Mystery, #1)
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Sins of the Father
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • From the Ashes
  • The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeno Society Jubilee (Cadillac, Texas, #1)
  • Bear is Broken
  • Hybrid
  • The Trouble With Charlie (Elle Harrison, #1)
  • By Design
  • The Tycoon and the Texan
  • The Blue Light Project
  • Secretariat Reborn
  • A Place Called Armageddon
220840
Son of Elmore Leonard.

Peter Leonard lives in Birmingham, Michigan with his wife and four children. He is a partner in the ad agency Leonard, Mayer & Tocco, Inc.
More about Peter Leonard...
Quiver Voices of the Dead Trust Me Eyes Closed Tight Back from the Dead

“And although cars and motorcycles zipped around, all he saw was the girl coming toward him like a scene in a movie.” 0 likes
“Any time a famous rich kid screws up, people want to know about it. Makes them feel good.” 0 likes