Start by marking “Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)” as Want to Read:
Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)

Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers #8)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  2,009 ratings  ·  165 reviews
You can never go home again Joanne Walker has survived an encounter with the Master at great personal cost, but now her father is missing-stolen from the timeline. She must finally return to North Carolina to find him-and to meet Aidan, the son she left behind long ago.

That would be enough for any shaman to face, but Joanne's beloved Appalachians are being torn apart by an
ebook, Adobe DRM, 352 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Luna Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Echoes

Susana
This story, well, it was just perfection for me! ;)
Loved, loved it!!!!

The only sad thing about it, is that apparently the next volume will be the last one of the series. Really?? :(

How can i possibly live without Joanne's antics??? O_O

But this one, Oh MY GOD!!!

Action packed intense, riveting,(flying MUSTANGS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT HORSES, BUT JOANNE'S "PETITE"!) emotional,(yeah, it made me cry! o.O) romantic (Morrison, YAY!!!)funny (Joanne's drives her spirit animals insa
Sho
Wow this series just gets better and better.I just loved it.
Continuing directly from the 7th book, Joanne directly goes from her fight in Ireland straight to North Carolina. This time following her father's heritage and her own past. It has time traveling, zombies, flying cars, and ancestor sprits... If you don't know the series, people are just going to scratch their head with that description. And for the first time I am going to put this into my "romance shelf"!

Although the series is publishe
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

"The Walker Papers" is series that tends to get stronger with every book and this installment is no exception. While it wasn't my favorite of the series, it did take some of the most interesting aspects of book seven, including the time travel, and made them smoother and easier to follow. Mountain Echoes is packed with action and never has a dull moment. Plus, fans of the series will love the large amount of page time devoted to Joanne

Morrison, OMG! I want a Morrison!

Full disclosure, I received my copy of Mountain Echoes in one of the contests Catie had for readers. I also follow her blog and find her an endlessly fascinating person.

I found this series earlier on, around the second or third book and have really loved it. This being the penultimate book I've been a little scared to read it. First, what if it wasn't as good as the other stories? A silly fear, I know, as every story I've read has been wonderful, and that include
Jessie Potts
What it's about: This is the eighth book in the Walker Papers series and still Joanne is as amazing as ever. In Mountain Echoes, Joanne's father is missing, she's still recovering, and she must meet the son she left behind. She will need her wits and strength to figure out how to defeat the latest evil creeping across her world.

Why you should read it: What I love about this series is that I really liked Joanne's character in the earlier books, but C.E. Murphy has grown and evolved Joanne into so
Fangs for the Fantasy
Joanne has barely had time to process what happened in Ireland when she receives news her father is missing. She quickly returns to North Carolina, to a place she hasn’t been since a child, to discover not only is her father missing, but so is the man who fathered her child.

He Master is there, seeking to tap into the devastating pain and loss suffered by the Native Americans to power evil beyond imagining; unless they can stop it.

But also there are the people Joanne long left behind, not all of
Barbara ★
Joanne Walker, gets a frantic call from Sara (an old school friend who is no longer a friend) and flies straight from Ireland to North Carolina to find her missing father. As it turns out, he isn't the only one missing. Big trouble has found the Qalla reservation and is sucking the power right out of the land. Joanne finally meets her 12 year old son, who she gave up for adoption at birth and her interactions with him are amazing and heart-breaking. After many adventures (7 to be exact), Joanne ...more
Kt
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

A decade ago Joanne Walker left the reservation and never looked back. But now her father is missing and she'll have to go face her past, and the child she gave up. But facing her fears soon becomes the least of her problems as what she finds there, rocks her to the core. The mountains are crying as they are literally being torn apart by an unseen malicious force that consumes everything in its path, including her son. It will take every bit
Hali Sowle
This is the penultimate book in the Joanie Walker series, and while the series has had its had its ups and downs I will be sad not to have any more to look forward to. The last book had Joanne in Britain, fighting "The Master" the evil being/force that has been behind all of the chaos in Joanne's life, and although it cost her the soul of her mother, that evil was damaged, badly, and Joanne has finally learned to combine her warrior side and her shamanistic side. Not only that but she's met and ...more
Darcy
With this book there comes so many payoffs that fans of the series have been waiting for and so many fantastical things happen that it is hard to do justice to a review without spoiling things. I plan on getting the audio when it is released and re-reading the book right away, because really this was a fun one to read.

What I really liked about this one is how Joanne was able to look back at her time in Qualla with different eyes and make peace with it, the person she was and the person she is. I
Kirsty Bassett
My only issue with this series is how much a short story/novella keeps getting referenced. Its such a key part of the story that when it was first mentioned I actually thought I had missed a book. If the short story was so important that is is constantly being referenced and contributing to the series it should be a novel instead!

Very annoying but I managed to ignore that.

Anyways this book was awesome, I literally cannot believe the stuff murphy comes up with. I mean a flying car?! How totally
Genine Tyson
The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it's the beginning of the end.

In Mountain Echoes Joanne goes home to Qualla to find her father. While there she confronts her past and embraces her future. I think this story was a clever way to fill in Jo's back story and I think the timing was good. Joanne has matured as she has grown into her shaman powers and I don't think she would have had the insight to integrate what she learned while back home had this taken place in an earlier book.

T
Starfire
I thought this was the last of the Walker Paper instalments, but it looks like there's still one more to go - YAY! I totally was not ready to leave the world of Jo, Gary, Morrison and the general Urban Shamanverse.

This instalment had Jo going back to her Cherokee roots (physically, spiritually and geographically) and at last she started directly fighting back against the Big Bad that's been gradually appearing over the past 7 books.

Yet again, I loved spending time with these characters. And I lo
Paula Patience
First off, if you're just diving into the series, for God's sake, don't start here! LOL You will miss out on the hugely satisfying closing arc of this story as we approach the end of our shaman's journey (supposedly just one more book to go!). For those of you who have been following along, the winding down of Joanne's story includes the tying up of some loose ends, such as her ex-boss Michael Morrison. And that's pretty much all I can say without requiring spoiler wings.

Overall, loved the book.
Betsy
This was my absolute favorite of the Walker Papers. I have always truly enjoyed the characters. C.E. Murphy does an extraordinary jobs of creating compassionate, intelligent characters who seem quite ordinary and believable. This is surprising given how extraordinary and, at times, unbelievable the magic and action can be. It has been a long road for me because shamanism does not grab me and I have really hard time enjoying Joanne's spirit animals, cryptic messages, swirling colors and the like. ...more
Ellese
Wow, so much happened in this book it felt like 900 pages. I must say that Murphy has a very good imagination. Great world building and wonderfully fleshed out characters. Although, I would like to see Joanne with a little less self-loathing and a little more confidence, however it is kind of nice for her to still have flaws and be a working character that can save the world, literally. I am also really sad to see that the next book will be the last!!! :'(

I was definitely on an emotional rollerc
Veronica
Another highly enjoyable installment in this series. I am thrilled that Joanne is back stateside though I still can't wait until she makes it back home to Seattle. I just miss seeing the entire gang. But first things first and that means a stop off in North Carolina to attend to personal matters both old and new. The action kept moving at a good pace and there seemed to be less moving around in the spiritual realm, which I really liked. It bears repeating that, for me, a little spiritual realm g ...more
Jenni Ebba
Wow, I absolutely love Murphy's ability to tell an awesome story. I don't know where to start with this one. I guess I should start with saying this is an ongoing series, well second to last in a long series anyways. Mountain Echoes takes off right where the previous one ended, so if you have yet to read this wonderful UF series~what are you waiting for?
Joanne Walker AKA Siobhan Walkingstick is a born shaman who went through a lot in the past year. She's half Irish and half Native American- and
Malette Poole
The Walker Papers will only disappoint when they end with Shaman Rises. I hope C. E. will dip into the world she has created once in a while to entertain us.

Joanne hears her father his missing and heads back to the Qualla, where she has not been since she was a teen. So much has been told and hinted about, now much is resolved. Not neat, tied with a bow resolved but processed and dealt with resolved, much like real life would be if we but would...

A malevolence has aimed itself at her and hers. S
Kim
After the first 97 pages I enjoyed this book immensely. Thank You Ms. Murphy for bringing back Morrison. He and Joanne made the book for me. It was also nice to see the other part of heritage and her father. It was interesting in seeing Joanne's reaction to Aidan and vice versa.

Of course this book is left with the starting point of the next book, but a lot of emotions were wrapped up nicely in this book.

Joanne is finally dealing with her feelings of abandonment as a child, her choice to have sex
Jenna
I love the Walker Papers series and this was one of the best. Joanne is back in NC after her father disappears and discovers that something supernatural is the culprit.

It was interesting to see her face her demons - both in her mind and those at the Qualla. She came to terms with her feelings for her father, her son, and her friends that she left behind. And Morrison was there the whole time which made it even more cathartic. I was happy to see Jo lean on him and it makes you think that they act
Kathy Davie
Eighth in the Walker Papers urban fantasy series about a former Seattle cop who has been learning the ropes as a mage/shaman and battling Irish goddesses — some of whom are family!

My Take
Whoa…! It's gotta be old home week for Joanne these days. In Raven Calls , 7, it was a family reunion with her mom's side of the family. This time around, we're finding out more about Dad and his background. One that Joanne comes to regret for all her lost opportunities as she learns the truth behind their noma
Sue
I think I've developed an irrational attachment to Joanne and Morrison. In this installment, Jo is summoned back to North Carolina by her high school nemesis with the news that Jo's father (who she has spoken to in years) has disappeared. An already unpleasant return is made worse by the appearance that the magical violence occurring in the Qualla is her fault. Joanne is soon under siege and the action doesn't let up for most of the book. (view spoiler) ...more
Paige Ellen Stone
As a practicing shaman, I find that the suspension of disbelief required to truly enjoy "The Walker Papers" is more and more of a stretch. I also don't care. Ms Murphy always takes the reader on a wild and worthwhile ride, and"Mountain Echoes" is no exception. Here, we begin with Joanne Walker's harried and hurried return from Ireland to her Cherokee birthplace and the source of much of her inner rage.
While I loved Murphy's previous delving into Walker's Celtic heritage, and I was wary of now ju
Brandy
Mountain Echoes follows Jo as she returns "home" to North Carolina on the heels of her adventures in Ireland. She reconnects with her father, high school friends (acquaintances? enemies?), and her son. As in each of the novels as we move forward, Jo is more in control of her power and herself than the last time we met. The battle against the "Master" continues, here, with a new type of attack. We have a lot more time travel and things start to make sense as the time lines come together. I wasn't ...more
Holly Booms Walsh
This is a four star book for readers who have been following the series. While it has all the typical earmarks of the series: solid writing, fast plotting, good characterizations, snappy banter, and a particularly great magic system, this particular book's big payoff is in the resolution of Joanne's family background. She faces her past figuratively and literally as she has to come home to the Cherokee reservation that she spent her teenage years on. She discovered her mother's story in the last ...more
Christianne Swearson
This is a really good urban fantasy series. The main character, Joanne (Walkingstick) Walker is enjoyable as an alienated emerging half-Irish/half-Native american shaman. Definitely start at the beginning though, rather than here, to see the arc of her difficult growth as a shaman. Fun stuff!
Lianne Burwell
The penultimate book of the series moves directly out of the previous book, which is an issue. For Joanne, that is. She's barely dealt with the danger in Ireland when she gets a phone call from Sara (old friend, turned enemy, turned reluctant ally) to tell her that her father has vanished.

Arriving 'home', she finds out that it isn't just her father, it Sara's husband (who got Joanne pregnant as a teenager). The town shamans are all up on the mountain trying to hold back a 'nothingness' created b
amyextradot
5/28/13: Okay, WHY did C.E. Murphy feel the need to put Jo in the midst of the bitchy high school friend that was a pain in the ass and a totally unlikable character in the LAST book in her newest book? Ugh. I want to punch Sara in the face--yes, Jo had sex with the boy you liked...but said you didn't like...when you were FIFTEEN!!!!! Then he dumped her pregnant ass, ran to Canada with his tail between his legs, then came back and married your bitch-self. Get. Over. It.

I'm about 120 pages in, a
Julie
I got a reviewer copy of this title initially through netgalley, but ended up finishing it with my purchased copy. This is a series I have enjoyed from the beginning. It started out really strong for me with Urban Shaman and then slowly dipped down a bit in the middle books and this book has seen it rise up again. While I hate a series I enjoy to end, I do appreciate when the story has a point and reaches it - satisfactorily of course.

Mountain Echoes brought more perspective and closure for Joan
Walker Papers: Mountain Echoes 6 35 Mar 03, 2013 11:29PM
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Winter Moon
  • Magic for a Price (Allie Beckstrom, #9)
  • Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)
  • Soul of Fire (The Portals, #2)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Agave Kiss (Corine Solomon, #5)
  • Cast in Sorrow (Chronicles of Elantra, #9)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (9 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9)
Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1) Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3) Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2) Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4) Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)

“He rallied a little. "Who are you? What do you know about this? Disease control is our job, not yours. Who are you?"

"My name," I said, mostly uner my breath, "is Siobhan Grainne MacNamarra Walkingstick, and I'm the answer to all your prayers.”
3 likes
“I can tell the difference between a Corvette and a Mustang. It was the woman sitting on the hood that got me flustered.” 0 likes