Start by marking “By Fire and by Sword” as Want to Read:
By Fire and by Sword

By Fire and by Sword (Graham-Lennox #3)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
With her sword for protection, Lady Kenna Lennox of Scotland defies social convention and reopens her family's ancient distillery. This feat of wit and daring captures the attention of the sadistic Lord Walter--the Englishman who nearly destroyed her beloved older sister, a man who is determined to bring Lady Lennox to heel.

When Colin Montgomery, an American privateer, app
Published January 15th 2013 by Mira Books (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about By Fire and by Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Fire and by Sword

An Odd1
Aug 03, 2011 An Odd1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
** "By Fire and By Sword" by Elaine Coffman has an unusual Highlander: female. Beautiful red-head Scottish noble flees alone to improve her blade-wielding skill in Paris. After 18 books, how has practice not strengthened talent? Valuable humor cannot carry so many faults. If this were a debut work, I would have looked for a later effort. I may read another only if a better editor-publisher (not Mira).
Heroine Kenna resists the hero's advice to wear her knife, leaves it sheathed when the villain
Faith Dominguez
This book was truly amazing book I loved it and my sister loved it and I do give it a 5 start Elaine Coffman is a beautiful writer .

I really did enjoy this book it made me keep guessing on what was going to happen next and I love that it made me laugh and blush and cry and that'd amazing that a book can make you do that. This book is a type of book I would love to make to be able to make some one really enjoy something so much that you want to re-read it and share it with everyone
I love this boo
liz
May 06, 2007 liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can it be? The lovey-dovey parts were the least interesting! It's the story of a strong-willed young woman who, in order to avenge her family, who've all been murdered by the same madman count (or whatever), flees to France so that she can take up fencing with Europe's greatest master. All she wants to do is fence! And she becomes best friends with a gypsy. But she can't forget the captain of the ship she didn't take across the Channel (and vice versa)... Very fun.

No one spoke English, save Capt
S Miller
Used - Good (Some spine creases; Some pages may show signs of wear)
Dec 13, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Nothing much happened.
Melissa
Entertaining light romance.
Jess
Oct 27, 2007 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I know I have read this, but don't remember when this year. It is about Lady Kenna, and her quest to become a great swordswoman to beat the man who is after her and her family. She meets a captain of a ship and falls in love. This is the third in the series, I think.
Onika
Dec 17, 2008 Onika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it had gotten around to a grand confrontation sooner. Reading just felt like a constant build up then the peak was a bit disappointing
Jasmine Kyz
Oct 12, 2008 Jasmine Kyz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Its a good book a little slow at parts but i love the concept of mystery and love entwined in one.
Gardavson
A little to slow at times. Was hard to invest in.
Khadijah Hamidullah
I haven't gotten really far.
Jordan Mierek
I enjoyed it.
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
silviaentrelibros
silviaentrelibros marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Sunny Thomas
Sunny Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Brittany Rhodes
Brittany Rhodes marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Jane
Jane added it
Jun 04, 2016
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Susan Garrett
Susan Garrett marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Irmaria
Irmaria marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • To Love a Scottish Lord (The Highland Lords, #4)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • Wild and Wicked in Scotland (Charmed and Dangerous, #1)
  • Highland Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #2)
  • The Queen's Lady (Graham, #7)
  • Further Than Passion
  • The Saxon's Daughter
  • The Legend (Torridon, #1)
  • Dawn Encounter (Masters at Arms #2)
  • Flaming Arrow
  • Bride of Lochbarr (Brothers in Arms, #1)
  • My Lord Jack
  • Highland Scoundrel (Highland Brides, #5)
  • Bride of a Wicked Scotsman (McBride Family, #3)
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • Tender Is The Knight  (Knights, #9; The Brocade #7)
  • A Taste of Paradise
  • Tender Feud
Barbara Elaine Gunter was born in San Diego, California, to William Samuel Gunter, Jr., a naval officer and Edna Marie (née Davidson) Gunter, a homemaker. From the age of three she lived in Midland, Texas and graduated from Midland High School. After she received a degree in elementary education from North Texas State University, she taught elementary school in Midland, Texas, while working on her ...more
More about Elaine Coffman...

Graham-Lennox (3 books)
  • The Highlander (Graham-Lennox #1)
  • Let Me Be Your Hero (Graham-Lennox #2)

“There are three things you must remember about a woman. Never take her for granted. Never think you know what she is thinking. And never think you know what she will do in a given situation. A woman is like smoke. She will curl seductively around you one moment, burn your eyes the next, tickle your throat until you cough, and then poof! She is gone. She is a mirage. She is a thunderstorm. She is a sailboat on a sunny mirrored lake. She will run when you reach for her, and come to you when you wish her away. You can solve a problem. You can analyze logic. You can explain how vapor turns into water. But you cannot understand the mind of a woman. And do you know why? Because she does not understand herself."
"Then what do you do?"
"You love her and deal with her in all honesty. You earn her trust. And then you trust the Almighty, who made women the way they are, believing that He knew what He was doing."
"What if that doesn't help?"
"Blame Him.”
2 likes
“You love her and deal with her in all honesty. You earn her trust. And then you trust the Almighty, who made women the way they are, believing that He knew what he was doing.” 1 likes