Start by marking “By Fire and by Sword” as Want to Read:
By Fire and by Sword

By Fire and by Sword (Graham-Lennox #3)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  9 reviews
With her sword for protection, Lady Kenna Lennox of Scotland defies social convention and reopens her family's ancient distillery. This feat of wit and daring captures the attention of the sadistic Lord Walter--the Englishman who nearly destroyed her beloved older sister, a man who is determined to bring Lady Lennox to heel.

When Colin Montgomery, an American privateer, app
Published January 15th 2013 by Harlequin Mira (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about By Fire and by Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Fire and by Sword

An Odd1
** "By Fire and By Sword" by Elaine Coffman has an unusual Highlander: female. Beautiful red-head Scottish noble flees alone to improve her blade-wielding skill in Paris. After 18 books, how has practice not strengthened talent? Valuable humor cannot carry so many faults. If this were a debut work, I would have looked for a later effort. I may read another only if a better editor-publisher (not Mira).
Heroine Kenna resists the hero's advice to wear her knife, leaves it sheathed when the villain
Violet the Vanisher
This book was truly amazing book I loved it and my sister loved it and I do give it a 5 start Elaine Coffman is a beautiful writer .

I really did enjoy this book it made me keep guessing on what was going to happen next and I love that it made me laugh and blush and cry and that'd amazing that a book can make you do that. This book is a type of book I would love to make to be able to make some one really enjoy something so much that you want to re-read it and share it with everyone
I love this boo
liz
Can it be? The lovey-dovey parts were the least interesting! It's the story of a strong-willed young woman who, in order to avenge her family, who've all been murdered by the same madman count (or whatever), flees to France so that she can take up fencing with Europe's greatest master. All she wants to do is fence! And she becomes best friends with a gypsy. But she can't forget the captain of the ship she didn't take across the Channel (and vice versa)... Very fun.

No one spoke English, save Capt
Jess
I know I have read this, but don't remember when this year. It is about Lady Kenna, and her quest to become a great swordswoman to beat the man who is after her and her family. She meets a captain of a ship and falls in love. This is the third in the series, I think.
Onika
Wish it had gotten around to a grand confrontation sooner. Reading just felt like a constant build up then the peak was a bit disappointing
Jasmine Kyz
Oct 12, 2008 Jasmine Kyz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Its a good book a little slow at parts but i love the concept of mystery and love entwined in one.
Gardavson
A little to slow at times. Was hard to invest in.
Khadijah Hamidullah
I haven't gotten really far.
Jeri
Jeri added it
Oct 24, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Oct 23, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Angala
Angala marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Caroleequinton
Caroleequinton marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Chrisanne Penn
Chrisanne Penn marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
Aug 28, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Cecelia
Cecelia marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Raph
Raph marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • To Love a Scottish Lord (The Highland Lords, #4)
  • The Legend (Torridon, #1)
  • The Queen's Lady (Graham, #7)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • Highland Scandal (The Scandalous Series #2)
  • Wild and Wicked in Scotland (Charmed and Dangerous, #1)
  • Wicked Fantasy (Paradise, #3)
  • Dawn Encounter (Masters at Arms #2)
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • His Wicked Ways (McKay, #1)
  • A Taste of Paradise
  • Lessons in Seduction (Greentree Sisters, #1)
  • Knight of Fire (Fire, #2)
  • A Hint of Rapture
  • Bride of Lochbarr (Brothers in Arms, #1)
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Fortune's Bride (Royal Dynasty, #4)
  • My Shadow Warrior (MacDonell Brides, #3)
Barbara Elaine Gunter was born in San Diego, California, to William Samuel Gunter, Jr., a naval officer and Edna Marie (née Davidson) Gunter, a homemaker. From the age of three she lived in Midland, Texas and graduated from Midland High School. After she received a degree in elementary education from North Texas State University, she taught elementary school in Midland, Texas, while working on her ...more
More about Elaine Coffman...
The Highlander (Graham-Lennox #1) The Bride Of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #1) The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2) If You Love Me (Mackinnon, #7) The Fifth Daughter

“There are three things you must remember about a woman. Never take her for granted. Never think you know what she is thinking. And never think you know what she will do in a given situation. A woman is like smoke. She will curl seductively around you one moment, burn your eyes the next, tickle your throat until you cough, and then poof! She is gone. She is a mirage. She is a thunderstorm. She is a sailboat on a sunny mirrored lake. She will run when you reach for her, and come to you when you wish her away. You can solve a problem. You can analyze logic. You can explain how vapor turns into water. But you cannot understand the mind of a woman. And do you know why? Because she does not understand herself."
"Then what do you do?"
"You love her and deal with her in all honesty. You earn her trust. And then you trust the Almighty, who made women the way they are, believing that He knew what He was doing."
"What if that doesn't help?"
"Blame Him.”
2 likes
“You love her and deal with her in all honesty. You earn her trust. And then you trust the Almighty, who made women the way they are, believing that He knew what he was doing.” 1 likes