Start by marking “A Home of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Home of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #4)

A Home of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho #4)

When Lucky Caldwell was ten, her mother, Red--the best-known hooker in Dundee, Idaho--married Morris Caldwell, a wealthy and much older man. It didn't last, of course, but Morris's kindness was the highlight of Lucky's life.

Mike Hill, Morris's grandson, doesn't feel too well-disposed toward Red or her kids. He believes they alienated Morris from his family. Even Morris's V
Published January 15th 2013 by Mira Books (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Home of Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Home of Her Own

Tia
Apr 17, 2012 Tia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one amazing book! The heroine's mother was a mistress to many men and when the heroine was born, there were three possible candidates for paternity. She was trying to find her father when she met he hero, whom she'd been in love with since she was sixteen. Secretly they got together and the heroine offered her virginity to the hero. Then the heroine fell in love with the hero and was chased outta town. A month later and the hero is mourning for her, the heroine just found out she's preg ...more
KathyB
I saw this book recommended on a few Amazon threads and decided to pick it up based on the plot. I was in the mood for a story surrounding a "wronged" heroine, and this one fit the bill. The hero, his family, and most of the town was incredibly cruel to the heroine. Lucky was irritating and bitter at times, but based on how she was treated, I understood and empathized.

I enjoyed this one, for me it was a winner. I'm taking off a star because there are a few loose ends that should have been wrapp
Germaine
I can't believe that this is the fourth book Brenda Novak has written about Dundee, Idaho, a town which is populated by ignorant, small-minded, judgmental, and just plain nasty people. Heroine is the daughter of the town slut, so everyone knows that she is a slut, too, and proceeds to treat her as one. Heroine, being the proud thing that she is, suffers in silence and keeps her head up through a series of contrived circumstances that push the credibility limits even for Romanceland. Hero's famil ...more
 ★ jazz ★
This story shows how the sins of the mother (a prostitute who married a rich older gentleman) are judged by a small town onto the daughter. When her stepdad left Lucky the old Victorian home that she lived in until she left after graduation of High School and enough income to allow her to travel and not have to work. The town and the neighbor (of the Victorian) all thought she was as money grabbing and loose as her mother. Not that she might have had feelings for her stepdad.

She decides to come
Melodie
3.5 Stars

I've read quite a few small town romances and have always though that are pretty nice places to live in but this book has really changed my mind. The way the people treated Lucky and judged her for something she has nothing to do with made me so mad. Perhaps because I did not read the previous novels in the series, but I really disliked Mike's parents. Especially his mother.

Notwithstanding how I feel about the people of the town, I really liked Lucky and Mike and think they are great t
Jacqueline
I enjoyed this one. I liked the way the hero couldn't stay away from the heroine. It was just a well put together book that I really didn't want to end. I really would have liked to see the heroine meet his parents as his girlfriend since the whole family hated her family. Those would have been some interesting scenes. Brenda Novak is one of my favorite authors. She writes realistic characters but with enough out of the ordinary happening to keep things interesting and different.
Jane Stewart
Weak 3 stars. I was not enjoying it. I did not smile or feel good until the very end.

Kind of a downer most of the way through. I’d prefer having some positive anticipation. But it kept my interest. It’s part of a good series, so I like getting to know various people in the community.

Back story: Wealthy Morris Caldwell divorced his wife to marry Red a former prostitute. Red had a daughter Lucky but did not know who the father was. Morris loved Red’s kids, especially Lucky. When Morris died he lef
Lilly
Lucky Caldwell has returned to Dundee and Mike hill is seeing what the town's residents aren't.

Lucky just want to fix the Victorian house to put it in the market and leave Dundee for good , she did love Morris Caldwell like a father and felt in love with his grandson Mike, she saw how caring hi was. Obviously he didn't feel the same ,she was 10 years old and he was 25 .

-Live and let live -
"She’s a mean-spirited, nasty person just like her mother.“

Mean-spirited?” he repeated.
“What else would yo
Beth
Feb 24, 2017 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series. Lucky and Mike's story.
Nancy Stopper
Jan 23, 2015 Nancy Stopper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "A Home of Her Own", we see a girl who can't live down her mother's past. And her mother's sins have become her sins: in her own mind, and in the mind of the residents of Dundee. No one is welcoming to her, except Mike Hill. I was thrilled to see how he was quickly to see through her tough façade to realize that below her tough exterior was a fragile girl who was desperate for acceptance. She wasn't accepted by her own family, including her own mother and mostly her brothers, and she wasn't a ...more
Jazz Feylynn

She decides to come
Lysanne
Jun 03, 2014 Lysanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one night. I started reading around 10pm and finished around 3am. The book was very engaging and kept me wanting for more. With that said, it's going to be a long day today.

This book is the Story of Lucky and Mike (FINALLY! Love Mike!). I liked the passion between these two and the very intense heat. I didn't so much like the fact that the town was RIDICULOUS until the very end of the book, and even then. I'm from a small town so I understand the dynamics that can happen, but
Eya
Feb 20, 2013 Eya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I realize this should be another silly book. Most parts actually are. But something about the protagonist, Lucky, stands out. There is a strenght to her, force of character that's uncommon in romance novels, that makes her very memorable. And a little relatable. And Novak has her deliver one of the most heartbreaking confessions of love I know. It's almost difficult to explain how surprised I was to find a realistically proud, stubborn, wary character in the 4th book of a series like this. This ...more
Ayu Wirdha
Dec 28, 2015 Ayu Wirdha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Family or soulmate? Lucky anak dari Red yg terkenal sbg hooker in Dundee & yg akhirnya married dgn Morris yg merupakan kakek dari Mike. Pernikahan ini menimbulkan sakit hati di keluarga Mike. Hanya Morris yg mencintai Lucky dgn tulus & memberinya warisan rumah peninggalan keluarga. Lucky kembali ke Dundee untuk renovasi rumah lalu dijual sekaligus juga ingin tau siapa ayahnya dari nama2 yg ada di jurnal ibunya. Tp sayang resistensi ibu Mike membuat Lucky hrs pergi dari Dundee walaupun na
Martel
Sep 29, 2015 Martel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-read
Didn't care much about anyone except the heroine. Who was too sweet for her own good and accepted a lot of abuse from everyone, hero included. Judging someone for what his parents did ? Eeeew.
Because of the people of Dundee the Heroine (view spoiler). Half of the population of the town belongs in prison and the other half needs some serious education.
This novel plainly angered and annoyed me, ha
*Carissmatik*
Mar 13, 2013 *Carissmatik* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book :) I actually wanted it to be longer... we never got the big confrontation.. I wish there had been more plot development. We never actually saw the process of the town getting to know the real Lucky.. I think it is an important part that was missed. Hence the 4 stars. But I was pleasantly surprised with the the writing and character development. the story felt real and the characters were relatable which is the most important thing to me whenever I read a novel.
Marcy
Oct 06, 2016 Marcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Lucky Caldwell, the daughter of a prostitute, comes home to Dundee, Idaho, she discovers that the townspeople have long memories. Mike Hill, the boy she remembers form those long-ago years, is less than happy about her return when she moves next door to him in to the house that should have been his. Sparks fly as they try to deny their attraction
Marianne
A nice little surprise in my books from Tracy as I have read the companion volume - about one of the characters mentioned. The fiesty main character has a good balance of vulnerability and strength. I liked that. Being a Harlequin Romance, of course she gets her man, the one she has dreamed about since she was 16 but who is from the rival family.
Stephanie Blake
Aug 04, 2016 Stephanie Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5! The only thing I did not like about this was how Mike was embarrassed of her! This bothered m very much. I also think he should have kicked some serious ass of the men who treated her so poorly. I love this author and this series.
Toi
Dec 31, 2016 Toi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Mike finally gets to get his and who would believe that it's Lucky, who turns out to be Red's daughter. This was a great read and led to a lot of insight to the back story if this series.
Carol Lee
May 11, 2015 Carol Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Misunderstood

Loved the story, but the book ended and I wanted more..I wasn't ready for story to end. Lucky was such a misunderstood girl. So glad Mike was able to be her shining knight. So many people with good intentions are misunderstood.
Gail
Holy moly, what an angst-fest. This is the one about the homewrecker's daughter and the grandson of the guy whose home Ma wrecked. Also the hero's the brother of the hero in A Husband of Her Own. Loved this.
K
Jan 31, 2016 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very touching reading .

I enjoyed so much reading this book . I kind of hate the town and some people leaving there , but there are a lot of awesome characters that makes the book worth reading . Specially the main couple .
Kathleen Johnstone
Definitely a good read though the ending was expected from half way through the book
Happy reading
Holly
Mar 16, 2015 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Christy Jones
Oct 04, 2011 Christy Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the books in this series and this is my favorite. There is a 15 year age difference between the main couple. Great book
Moira
Jun 23, 2014 Moira rated it really liked it
It was great to read Lucky and Mike's story. It's a tough decision to go against your family but this story shows that going for true love and the brass ring to have it all will pay off in the end!
Deanna (A Novel Glimpse)
I have really been enjoying reading Brenda Novak's Dundee, Idaho series. Every book is a fast, fun, romantic read. A Home of Her Own was no different. I definitely recommend this book and series.
Denise Smithson
May 30, 2014 Denise Smithson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased
Loved it!
Danielle Calabrese
My favorite of the series so far! I really liked Booker and Katie and loved seeing their relationship resume from the last novel.
  • Dangerous Flirtation
  • The Farmer's Wife (Luchettis Brothers #1)
  • The Alvares Bride (The Barons, #6)
  • The Edge of Heaven (The McRaes, #2)
  • Within Reach
  • The Bee Bully
  • Texas Pride (Night Riders, #6)
  • Angel Wings
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Perfect Pumpkin Pie
  • One for the Road
  • The Bargain Bride
  • The Deep and Snowy Wood (Christmas Picture Book)
  • Reckless Conduct
  • The Boldest Man in Ballymuir (Ballymuir, #2)
  • The Prince's Captive Wife (The Royal House of Karedes #3)
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Dundee, Idaho (8 books)
  • A Baby of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #1)
  • A Husband of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #2)
  • A Family of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #3)
  • Stranger in Town (Dundee, Idaho, #5)
  • Big Girls Don't Cry (Dundee, Idaho, #6)
  • The Other Woman (Dundee, Idaho, #7)
  • Coulda Been a Cowboy (Dundee, Idaho, #8)

“Live and let live,” 0 likes
“learn pretty damn fast that everything else is smoke and mirrors. Fame. Money. Success. You realize that life is fleeting and family’s what it’s all about. It’s the only thing that matters.” 0 likes