A Home of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #4)

A Home of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho #4)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When Lucky Caldwell was ten, her mother, Red--the best-known hooker in Dundee, Idaho--married Morris Caldwell, a wealthy and much older man. It didn't last, of course, but Morris's kindness was the highlight of Lucky's life.

Mike Hill, Morris's grandson, doesn't feel too well-disposed toward Red or her kids. He believes they alienated Morris from his family. Even Morris's V...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Mira Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Home of Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Home of Her Own

Tia
This was one amazing book! The heroine's mother was a mistress to many men and when the heroine was born, there were three possible candidates for paternity. She was trying to find her father when she met he hero, whom she'd been in love with since she was sixteen. Secretly they got together and the heroine offered her virginity to the hero. Then the heroine fell in love with the hero and was chased outta town. A month later and the hero is mourning for her, the heroine just found out she's preg...more
Lily
I read this book in one night. I started reading around 10pm and finished around 3am. The book was very engaging and kept me wanting for more. With that said, it's going to be a long day today.

This book is the Story of Lucky and Mike (FINALLY! Love Mike!). I liked the passion between these two and the very intense heat. I didn't so much like the fact that the town was RIDICULOUS until the very end of the book, and even then. I'm from a small town so I understand the dynamics that can happen, but...more
Germaine
I can't believe that this is the fourth book Brenda Novak has written about Dundee, Idaho, a town which is populated by ignorant, small-minded, judgmental, and just plain nasty people. Heroine is the daughter of the town slut, so everyone knows that she is a slut, too, and proceeds to treat her as one. Heroine, being the proud thing that she is, suffers in silence and keeps her head up through a series of contrived circumstances that push the credibility limits even for Romanceland. Hero's famil...more
★ g.k. ★
This story shows how the sins of the mother (a prostitute who married a rich older gentleman) are judged by a small town onto the daughter. When her stepdad left Lucky the old Victorian home that she lived in until she left after graduation of High School and enough income to allow her to travel and not have to work. The town and the neighbor (of the Victorian) all thought she was as money grabbing and loose as her mother. Not that she might have had feelings for her stepdad.

She decides to come...more
Eya
I realize this should be another silly book. Most parts actually are. But something about the protagonist, Lucky, stands out. There is a strenght to her, force of character that's uncommon in romance novels, that makes her very memorable. And a little relatable. And Novak has her deliver one of the most heartbreaking confessions of love I know. It's almost difficult to explain how surprised I was to find a realistically proud, stubborn, wary character in the 4th book of a series like this. This...more
Deanna
I have really been enjoying reading Brenda Novak's Dundee, Idaho series. Every book is a fast, fun, romantic read. A Home of Her Own was no different. I definitely recommend this book and series.
Moira
It was great to read Lucky and Mike's story. It's a tough decision to go against your family but this story shows that going for true love and the brass ring to have it all will pay off in the end!
Caroline
I really liked this book :) I actually wanted it to be longer... we never got the big confrontation.. I wish there had been more plot development. We never actually saw the process of the town getting to know the real Lucky.. I think it is an important part that was missed. Hence the 4 stars. But I was pleasantly surprised with the the writing and character development. the story felt real and the characters were relatable which is the most important thing to me whenever I read a novel.
Marianne
A nice little surprise in my books from Tracy as I have read the companion volume - about one of the characters mentioned. The fiesty main character has a good balance of vulnerability and strength. I liked that. Being a Harlequin Romance, of course she gets her man, the one she has dreamed about since she was 16 but who is from the rival family.
Gail
Holy moly, what an angst-fest. This is the one about the homewrecker's daughter and the grandson of the guy whose home Ma wrecked. Also the hero's the brother of the hero in A Husband of Her Own. Loved this.
Danielle Calabrese
My favorite of the series so far! I really liked Booker and Katie and loved seeing their relationship resume from the last novel.
Christy Jones
I have read all of the books in this series and this is my favorite. There is a 15 year age difference between the main couple. Great book
Cornélia
a home of her own is a nice addition to the serie
Linda Joplin
Another winner by Novak!
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Tropical Sorbet
Tropical Sorbet marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Holly Crawford
Holly Crawford marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Dalton's Undoing (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #3)
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • The Bargain Bride
  • A Little Bit Pregnant (Silhoutte Special Edition. #1573)
  • Cupcakes, Pies, and Hot Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery, #3)
  • Within Reach
  • The Kiss (Widows Club, #2)
  • One for the Road
  • Big Sky Mountain (Parable, Montana, #2)
  • Miracles: 32 True Stories
  • Bring Him Home
  • The Seven Steps to Closure
  • Homesong
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • A Shot of Sultry (Sultry Springs, #2)
  • His Expectant Ex (The Landis Brothers, #2)
  • Writing the Memoir: From Truth to Art, Second Edit
  • Secrets of a Spiritual Guru: Real Estate, Yoga & Lies
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a...more
More about Brenda Novak...
When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)