Start by marking “Overpowered” as Want to Read:
Overpowered

Overpowered (Overpowered #1)

The world's safest town might actually be a deadly kind of dangerous. And Nica Ashley is about to learn the hard way.

Nica Ashley is accustomed to traveling the globe with her journalist mother, so when she gets sent to live in a small town with the father she barely knows, she's in for a bit of a culture shock. Barrington prides itself on being a sleepy, family community w
Published August 27th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Overpowered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overpowered

Ben Alderson
Aug 18, 2015 Ben Alderson rated it did not like it
been trying to read this for almost a year.... no just no
Georgina Martin (Bookz and Bitz)

Awesome cover. I’m thinking 28 days later....zombies, mutants the lot.....

Overpowered isn’t that. Well sort of, but no.

Overpowered introduces us the Nica, a 16 year old girl who’s spent the last 14 years traveling around the world (19 countries, 19 schools - remember that, its important!) only for her mum to turn around and say she can’t come to the latest destination, Antarctica. No, Nica has to go to live with her dad in Barrington, Colorado - home to the safest town in the country. Suburbia.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
I really enjoyed this story. There was something about it that just made me want to keep going.

That said, this is not a book without its faults.

First, I do not feel that the author really portrayed a girl character very well. There were quite a few moments where Nica didn't quite act or respond how one would think she would.

Also, there were story flaws. For example, at night the town loses its internet and phone. However, about half way through the book, the trio are always texting each other la
Courtney
Dec 30, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowing-amy
things happened really fast in this book; I get that a lot happens & 1,000 page books are too much for the average reader, but I really don't like when that happens. who's that? a strange boy? BAM. best friends. no thank you. the story is pretty good - I didn't love it, but it was enough to keep my attention throughout the entire book. but the ending was really great; had a good cliffhanger - I almost wish I had the second book.
Karl
Jun 16, 2013 Karl rated it it was ok
Decent story premise that moved along well enough. However, nothing really special either. The book reads more like a TV Pilot than a book. Given that premise, it's a show I would probably watch, but not a show I would HAVE to watch.
Julia Andersen
Aug 18, 2014 Julia Andersen rated it did not like it
**Alternative title recommendations at end of review**

This book had so much promise, but about a quarter of the way in everything plummeted downhill like a cartoon snowball, picking up more and more clichés as it went until it was a giant pack of nonsense. At least in my opinion.

When I picked up the book I was interested mainly because 1) The narrator, a world-traveling teenaged girl, sounded fresh and interesting. Yeah, some of the plot devices were a little easy to see coming (what?? she has t
Jessie
Dec 30, 2014 Jessie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Aelvana
Dec 19, 2015 Aelvana rated it did not like it
Nica has grown up with her journalist mother, moving from country to country as her mother's job moves them. But when her mom lands a spot in Antarctica, Nica is sent to Barrington, Colorodo---the "safest" town in the country. The most boring, old-town-America kind of place that even has a curfew. But something is going on in this town. Pulses of weird energy light up the night. And Nica and others find themselves reacting in strange ways . . .

I liked the idea, but the execution of this is terri
Katie_la_geek
May 09, 2013 Katie_la_geek rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, ebook-arc

For this review and more visit my blog

Overpowered had a great premise and it could have been awesome but somewhere in the execution this went wrong for me. Like I said I really liked the idea. It had a great plot and there were some really interesting parts. Unfortunately there was just a bucket load of things I had issues with which took away from the awesomeness of the actual plot.

Firstly the writing seemed really cold to me. There were loads of descriptions of physical things like clothes and
Chapter by Chapter
Mar 22, 2013 Chapter by Chapter rated it it was ok
Overpowered by author Mark. H. Kruger was a novel that sounded like it would be exciting and keep up a fast pace. The cover looked cool, the premise interesting and promising—in short I was very happy to get reading. What I will say by the end of the novel is that Overpowered is unlike anything I expected it to be.

In Overpowered main character Nica Ashely has grown up travelling from country to country with her journalist mother, the last thing she expects is for her mother to get a job in the
Elzbeth
Dec 26, 2016 Elzbeth rated it really liked it
THIS COULD HAVE BEEN FIVE STARS!!! And it would have been except for the fact that while all this mysterious stuff is going on, people going missing, more people possibly trying to kill our heroes, she gets super hormonal and please stop trying to have sex when you are possibly running for your lives.
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)
Although some of the events were predictable, the plot still interested me, and I genuinely liked it. Nica, our MC, is actually independent, and I loved most of the characters except for emo Jackson. Overall, I liked the action and concept of this superhero book.

Plot
Overall, this plot provided a really enjoyable reading experience, although many of the events pretty predictable at the beginning. Bad news first- if you're looking for War and Peace, this book is not the one you want to read. It'
Isabel8118
Jan 31, 2014 Isabel8118 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I began reading Overpowered because the idea and plot interested me and I thought it would be a fresh young adult book, different from your typical ya novels. However, even though the overall idea was unique, the execution and characters did not meet my expectations and I have to say I was disappointed.

To begin with, I felt that the main character, Nica, was somewhat one-dimensional. There was nothing intriguing about her character and she lacked any interesting or distinguishable traits. I wish
Holly
Mar 21, 2015 Holly rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. My husband gave it to me, and I love him! That is the only reason I trudged through the entire novel.

The writing was fine at first. And then it was meh. And by the last 5 or so chapters, it was just bad. I felt like the author got tired and didn't try as hard at the end. Redundancies, clichés, identically patterned sentences back to back to back, and apparently the word "said" was taboo and had to be replaced with endless synonyms. The editor should shoulder s
Annie
Sep 20, 2013 Annie rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013-challenge
To me, this book was alright. In the beginning, it kind of played the role of "innocent kid gets life turned for the worse" and then THIS happens.

It was cliche, in my opinion. I mean, "good girl" befirends local "bad boy" and they soon stop being "I still love a different girl" to "fuck this, let's just see how far we can go until something stops us." And the whole dad thing was cliche. Oh no! I thought my dad wasn't good! Turns out he's actually on my side!

At some parts, this book was a bore
Chelsea
Dec 20, 2013 Chelsea rated it liked it
Had the potential to be a really good book. The story, while not original, was interesting. Unfortunately the writing style-- which in my option ranged from odd to truly bad-- was distracting through most of the book. There were also odd plot points that never seemed to go anywhere.
For example (slight spoiler)
A very big deal is made at the beginning about how the main character has traveled all over the world and how she doesn't fit in at the school, but those points seem to have no bearing o
Anna
Feb 23, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Overall, I loved this book. The premise is that when her journalist mother gets assigned to a remote location, Nica has to settle down in a small town with her father for the first time, and things are not as safe and normal as they seem. There's mystery, there's superpowers, there are a lot of references to ecological soundness and evil tech corporations. It moves quickly, lots of things happen, and most importantly to me, the characters are round and believable. The only little quarrel I have ...more
Joy Nelson
Sep 14, 2014 Joy Nelson rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. For a YA tale, the characters have some impressive dimension. I noticed that other reviewers thought that Nica was not well-developed. I disagree. I also think that the other characters in the book all had their own unique characteristics, which is something I treasure in a book. Too many novels have characters that are all exactly the same. That being said, Nica does seem a little dense at times.

The plot was intriguing as well, but not without its flaws. There were some hic
Tracy
Aug 21, 2015 Tracy rated it it was ok
This book starts out okay (a young girl who has traveled the world with her mother is now stuck in dull Barrington, Colorado, with her father) but then it suddenly starts swearing way too much for my taste. The girl is constantly harping back to her exotic travels and adventures, then she gets obsessed with a local boy that she wants to ravish. Her swearing and her sexual thoughts are very unfeminine, and I kept being reminded that a man, who doesn't understand a teenage girl's mind, had written ...more
Kelsie
Nov 05, 2013 Kelsie rated it it was amazing
This book was a breath of fresh air after months of reading semi alright books. At first, I wasn't too sure about this book. Once I really started reading it, I could not put it down. The main character is not your typical girly character. In fact, I would almost describe her as alternative. The storyline was incredibly intruiging. Not the repetitiveness of paranormal stories that have been completely redundant as of late. Be forwarned, it does look like this book will have a sequal. It was a gr ...more
A.M. Schilling
Jul 28, 2014 A.M. Schilling rated it liked it
*Spoiler*

Good book, but I HATE when author's end in a way that's an obvious ploy to make me buy the sequel. Out-of-nowhere cliffhangers with most plot/subplots being unresolved? Argh. That's not a book ending. That's a chapter break. If you're not sure what I mean, see the "end" of "The Passage." Same trick here, but half the book length so it's slightly less annoying.

If this had had an actual ending, or at least tied up a few things, I would have given it 4 stars. The premise was interesting a
Kim Arnold
Aug 27, 2014 Kim Arnold rated it it was amazing
Don't start this book at ten at night, you will stay up till one to finish it. There were some definite surprises in Overpowered and there were a bunch of mysteries. It had a great sense of humor and the characters were well developed. All in all, a great read, would definitely read it again.
Mariane
May 05, 2014 Mariane rated it it was amazing
Eric
Nov 14, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
Imagine if Rosemary's Baby had a superhero twist. Or The Stepford Wives. Or even Footloose. That's what this book is like.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2013/12/09...

I loved this book. It was a bit hard to get into at first but once you got to know the characters you sort of became attached to them. The concept of the book was amazing the only thing I hated was the cliff hanger it left you on!
Holly
Nov 22, 2013 Holly rated it liked it
A book that under delivers...it had promise, and to be honest, it did keep my attention all the way through. But the characters are you typical teens and there are the typical stereotypes.
Jen
Jan 23, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
It's more like 3.5 stars. I liked it. It kept me interested and was a quick read. I liked the characters and I want to know what happens next.
Shelley
*Recvd via Edelweiss 05/21/2013* Expected publication: August 27th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Oct 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Virals!!!: Overpowered vs. Virals 2 9 Aug 27, 2015 01:04AM
  • Balthazar Fabuloso in the Lair of the Humbugs
  • Lake Thirteen
  • Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters (Momotaro, #1)
  • Confessions of a Hater
  • The Path of Names
  • Tastes Like Chicken (Fat Vampire, #2)
  • Ever Near (Secret Affinity, #1)
  • Mad About the Hatter
  • Thin Space
  • Be My Enemy (Everness, #2)
  • No True Echo
  • Horizon (Above World, #3)
  • Awakening (Tankborn, #2)
  • Randoms (Randoms, #1)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Two Lies and a Spy (Two Lies and a Spy, #1)
  • Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver (Soul Saver, #1)
  • The Zombie Next Door (Zombie Zappers, #3)
Mark H. Kruger was born in New York City and grew up in Long Island, where he spent much of his misbegotten youth watching scary movies and reading Edgar Allan Poe, Shirley Jackson and Charles Dickens. These days, he is a film and TV writer specializing in edge-of-your-seat thrillers and suspense. He has written and produced for The 4400 and Necessary Roughness and has worked with filmmakers Wes C ...more
More about Mark H. Kruger...

Overpowered (2 books)