Start by marking “No Angel” as Want to Read:
No Angel

No Angel

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Rafael Angelos just got handed the greatest gift any teenage boy could ever dream of. Upon arriving at his new boarding school for senior year, he discovered that he is the ONLY male student. But what should have been a godsend isn't exactly heaven on Earth.

Raffi's about to learn that St. Mary's is actually a hub for demons-and that he was summoned to the school by someone
Published October 8th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about No Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Angel

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarperTeen for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

Demons and angels and now magic kisses...I didn't ask for any of this.

I don't think I've read anything like No Angel before. Purposely dramatic, silly and hilarious, No Angel was filled with fun, drama, romance and of course, angels. Very parody-esque. Any more synonyms for fun?

Rafael Angelos may now just be the luckiest guy on earth. When he arrive
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
ANGEL TROPES

Need I say more?
I suppose. :(

Here are some facts:
1. Angel lore has been re-written to everything short of 'abcd...' in contemporary literature, be it YA or adult.
2. Angels are the more hotter versions of Vampires, who are cold because they are dead. Duh.
3. I like angels.
4. I like angel tropes.
5. Phrases like 'laugh out loud funny' have become banal enough to have their meaning vacuumed out, so the only way to describe the hilariosity of No Angel is through the following not-really-on
Nafiza
Helen Keeble’s sophomore offering to the YA genre is a pithy, sassy standalone novel (woohoo!) that though dealing with the tired and tried angel trope, manages to do it with some freshness. There are nephilims present in the novel; it wouldn’t be an angel novel without them. However, the melodrama is absent. Even though there is not much space to play around where the angel trope is concerned, Keeble does manage to do some new and innovative things with a huge helping of humour to spice things ...more
Jenni Arndt
Actual rating is 3.5

Last year when I got my grubby hands on Helen Keeble’s Fang Girl I was immediately smitten with her writing and her ability to take every vampire cliche known to man and make it so darn funny. When I saw that she was going to be trying her hand with some angel tropes I was first in line to take this one in as well. I thoroughly enjoyed No Angel, though I will say that it didn’t have the spark for me that was present all through my reading of Fang Girl.

Rafael Angelos is the fi
Marsha
Books about teenagers proliferate the shelves. But No Angel really stands out. It’s the ultimate book about alienation as we read the tribulations of Rafael Angellos (oh no), the only boy stuck at an all-girl school. Rafael’s difficulties with dealing with girls who are bullies, goths or prepubescent whiners are adroitly spelled out at every turn. Far from being delirious with joy at being the only tom in a field full of cattas, Rafael is swiftly over his head.

Making Mr. Angellos an angel is a
Jonathon
4.99999
This book is missing one major thing from begin a five and it has nothing to do with the writing or content. I only give out fives to books that have some sort of pretense and build on it. Massive world-building that leads to an epic conclusion is the only way to get a five out of me.
That being said, I loved this book!!! I laughed so hard at some points that I had to set the book down or I turned so red from embarrassment that I couldn't read any more. I rarely read a book that is as fun
Jenea Whittington
I don’t read all the many angel books, but I decided to give this one a try. A boarding school that only allows girls attend, now letting boys in. But, this isn’t just the normal boarding school. There is so much more to it, and those who go to school there.

Rafael Angelos, is living the dream of every teenage boy. He has been admitted to attend St. Mary School, and learns that he is only boy that will be attending so far. Being the only boy, isn’t all it is cracked up to be, granted eh gets the
Chelsey
I first discovered my love for author Helen Keeble with her debut release last year, Fang Girl. I picked it up just in time for my birthday last year and Halloween, and I finished it within the course of a day. So of course when I realized that she was releasing another book this October, I jumped at the chance to read it. I am in love with her writing style and her knack for creating truly hilarious and endearing main, and secondary, characters. This book follows Rafael Angelos, as he ventures ...more
Lettee
In most of my reviews, I don't give much details from the story itself because I strongly feel it could/would ruin it for other readers. I also will NOT write a book about the story as my review. Because then why would you need to read the book?! With that said:

I had read Helen Keeble's book, Fang Girl, and laughed my butt off. I saw this book was from her and decided to give it a whirl. It was pretty good. It grabs your attention right from the get go and keeps you hanging on and guessing the
zapkode.marie
{my thoughts} - This book is about a young man named Rafael Angelos. He is the only boy attending what once was an all girls school called Saint Mary's. This school is not your ordinary school and has a very interesting secret that is revealed within the pages of the book. I really enjoyed reading this book. It touched base on Heaven and Hell. It was wonderfully put together and left your asking yourself what did I just read a few times. Rafael is a good character. He's strong, he is loving and ...more
FicTalk Blog
I haven't really read very much paranormal YA books recently, but this one was such a treat for me. While it wasn't without its flaws, I did find it to be an enjoyable and seriously funny novel.

This was my first Helen Keeble book, and I was very excited to dive into it after reading the summary and some reviews of her first story, Fang Girl. Apparently many readers loved her brand of humor, and I wanted to experience it for myself, as well.

No Angel is told from the point of view of its main cha
Marcia
I love Helen Keeble's books--both this one and Fang Girl--because of their great touches of humor and wonderful character voices. How can you not like a teenage boy angel who has to hide his halo by indulging in one of the seven deadly sins behavior...like looking down girls' shirts?! She also takes genres like vampires and angels (and let's face it, they've been overdone in YA fiction), but adds wry humor and a sense of gently poking fun that makes them entertaining and creative as well as ligh ...more
Veevee
This is hands down one of the funniest books i have ever read. Raf was a hilarious, i loved reading from his POV. and Krystal OMYGOD she was awesome, one of the best side characters ever. Michaela was so kick as, i liked her too! But man Faith was a bit of nut job, she was so... oblivious... goodness it was painfully hilarious listening to her logic. I loved how the teachers were in on IT, that makes it sound like real high school ;) also the headmistress was pretty cool, if a bit complicated. T ...more
Erin
Disclaimer - I won this book on goodreads.com

This book was a fun one to read and I believe that it is a great addition to the YA genre. I think that it deals with heaven, hell, demons, and angels, on a very easy to not be "creeped out by younger teens" level and I wouldn't think twice about my teenager reading this one. I think her characters were great and I loved the diversity within them. I loved that the semi romantic parts in the book weren't cheesy and actually giggled a few times at some
Tammy Cordeiro (devadasi7)
this book doesn't take itself very seriously and neither should you! This was a hilarioys little book in the tradition of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. Very tongue in cheek and altogether enjoyable!
Jennifer Lea
I won this book via the Goodreads giveaways. I thought it was a great teen/young adult book.
Picture this: all girls school, over-bearing headmaster, girls obsessed with meeting their pairing from the Winchester all boys school for the school dance, and their first male student ever ... from his perspective. It read much like watching an anime for those fans of anime ... or shall I say, a manga without the pictures. It was funny and entertaining and i would certainly enjoy reading it again.
Thank
Abigail
I won this novel free through Goodreads First Reads/ARC.

An Angel who is an atheist? That's interesting...

As a Christian, that would usually put me off to this book, but it was hilarious and the characters were well developed and likable. I loved the protagonist, Rafael's biting wit and the way he called Krystal a 'dippy pagan chick". I enjoyed the way everything flowed and turned out in the end for the hero. "No Angel" is a great addition to anyone's bookshelf and I recommend it.
Jenn Morris-duffey
I won this ARC on goodreads first reads.

He flies.
He fights demons.
He's looking down your shirt.
No Angel...Rafael Angelos just started school at an all girls school that now accepts boys but yet he's the only boy there.
This book is very light and funny. With a dash of action,romance and adventure. This is the first angel book I have ever read and I loved it. Great for a light and fast read that makes you laugh and smile throughout it.
Cassie Lords
So if you begin this book and are completely confused, I was right there with you, but I must say : STICK WITH IT! Why?

1. The Title and the Summary +1
Positives: I've never read Helen Keeble before, but I must say that she is quite amusing. If any of us would have heard this title without seeing the cover, I would have thought "erotic and disturbing". In fact though, this book wasn't hilarious - but comical. "He flies. He fights demons. He's looking down your shirt." That just killed me haha

2. Th
Danny
Pure comedy!!! That was hilarious and refreshing! I adore the authors voice and writing style! This totally stood out among all
The other books I usually read. !
Jessi
Jul 30, 2013 Jessi marked it as to-read
I'm betting this'll be good cuz I really enjoyed Fang Girl
Kristen
Actual Rating 3.5

This review and others are on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

My Thoughts:
No Angel is not a book that I would typically pick up and read because I tend to shy away from books that attempt humor. I was sent a review copy randomly by Harper Teen and was actually pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable this was. Keeble’s writing is not overly serious; this book is pure fun and was a quick and easy read.

I really enjoyed that No Angel moved at a fast pace and was told from a male poin
Amy Fournier
My Thoughts

This book was very entertaining and silly. I loved the humor and fantastic take on angels. It's amazing how Helen Keeble can make a parody type book poking fun at certain paranormal beings, but still have a great story to go along with it. It's not all about the humor, but this book is definitely a comedy. It stays true to the angels vs demons thing and I loved how the story unfolded. Some things were predictable, others weren't, and the cast of characters was awesome!

Raffi is the onl
Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)
Review also posted on Sab The Book Eater

It's funny how St. Mary's is a demon hub because I went to a St. Mary's back in gradeschool and let's just say I had the most unpleasant childhood experiences there.

Buuut anyway.

Rafael Angelos, or Raffi as he likes to be called, enrolls in an exclusive school for girls. What he originally thought would be a good idea quickly turned into a bad one upon finding out that he's the first and the only boy in the school. This put him in plenty of uncomfortable an
Stephanie
This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

No Angel does not take itself very seriously, and as a result, neither did I. But that does not mean that I didn’t enjoy it, and I found myself succumbing to the silly humor, even as the non-stop twists continued to pile up. Rafael Angelos is a simple guy in a unique position – he’s the only male student in a boarding school for girls. As soon as he sets foot on campus, the girls are pounding down his door (literally) to get his attention.
Lelia Taylor
Be honest now. Can you resist a book tag like this?

He flies.
He fights demons.
He’s looking down your shirt.

I admit it, I couldn’t resist ;-) . Angels and demons with a splash of humor seemed to be just the ticket for me in my mood at the moment and what I found was a rollicking parody of all the usual angel vs. demon novels out there, chockful of LOLs and a touch of potential romance and a whole lot of fun.

Ms. Keeble has a masterful voice with all of her characters, whether they be self-satisfied
Erleen (Books For YA!)
For more of my reviews, visit Books For YA!

Infused with hilarious dialogues and unpredictable surprises, No Angel is an entertaining story that will keep you laughing-out-loud to angel and demon tropes.

“I come bearing Good News! For unto you a child shall be born!”
The girl stared at me. She did not look like she considered this to be glad tidings.
“Hey, I just deliver the news, I don’t write it,” I snapped…

When Rafael Angelos found out that the boarding school for girls where her mother attended
Candace
Last year I read Fang Girl and it was really a lot of fun, so I was really excited when I received No Angel for review. This is not a sequel, or even close to it, but it does have the same silliness and humor. I think maybe Fang Girl had more of the ridiculous silly stuff, but this was still a lot of fun.

I love male narrated books and Raf was a fresh voice for me. He's typical male in many ways, but he has a big heart. He's clearly very caring and incredibly brave when he needs to be.
Haley
This book started out so funny and I totally thought it was going to be a parody of Fallen by Lauren Kate at first, but it was completely unique on so many levels. First, Raffi is the first and only boy to attend this all girls school in England called St. Mary’s. That is ridiculous and would never happen in real life. He meets Faith, who’s not very smart, but she’s pretty and nice and the reason why Raffi really wanted to come to St. Mary’s. He also meet Krystal, this geeky girl who claims that ...more
Am, Was, Still Am Confused 1 2 May 16, 2014 08:24AM
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • Man Made Boy
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • The Beautiful and the Damned
  • The Cutting Room Floor
  • Breakaway
  • Meet Me at the River
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • Demonosity
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • The Sweet Dead Life (Sweet Dead Life, #1)
  • Tempting Acquisitions  (Boardrooms & Billionaires, #1)
  • Playing Hooky (Paranormal Investigations, #1)
  • Eat, Brains, Love (Eat, Brains, Love #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Hideous Love: The Story of the Girl Who Wrote Frankenstein
  • The Book of Love (The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers, #2)
  • The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Helen Keeble is not, and never has been, a vampire. She has however been a teenager. She grew up partly in America and partly in England, which has left her with an unidentifiable accent and a fondness for peanut butter crackers washed down with a nice cup of tea. She now lives in West Sussex, England, with her husband, daughter, two cats, and a variable number of fish. To the best of her knowledg ...more
More about Helen Keeble...
Fang Girl In Ashes In Stone

“I broke off from my hummed rendition of "U Can't Touch This.""I'm a seraph," I reminded her happily."I'm supposed to sing constant praises."
"Not about yourself!"
"Doo be do do- demons can't touch this!" I sang again.”
7 likes