Start by marking “Stand in My Shoes: Kids Learning about Empathy” as Want to Read:
Stand in My Shoes: Kids Learning about Empathy

Stand in My Shoes: Kids Learning about Empathy

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When Emily asks her big sister what the word empathy means, Emily has no idea that knowing the answer will change how she looks at people. But does it really matter to others if Emily notices how theyre feeling? Standing in My Shoes shows kids how easy it is to develop empathy toward those around them.
Empathy is the ability to notice what other people feel. Empathy leads
Published February 19th 2013 by Love & Logic Press

To ask other readers questions about Stand in My Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand in My Shoes

Joyce Gilmour
The Love and Logic Institute has hit a home run when publishing Stand in My Shoes: Kids Learning About Empathy. As a former third grade teacher, who worked with our school’s character education program, this book is absolutely what all children need to read or have read to them. Empathy or rather the lack of it is a major problem in our society today. If this concept can be understood by our children from early on, it could have a major impact on families and schools. THANK YOU, Bob Sornson for ...more
Andrea
"Stand in My Shoes" is a cute story about a little girl who learns about the concept of empathy. Empathy is often a hard thing for kids to understand, but it is a very important skill to have. Through the pages of the story, the main character, Emily, learns that when she shows empathy to others, it makes them feel better and in turn, she feels good too.

This text would be a perfect fit during a character education unit. It would also make a good partner text with "Each Kindness" by Jacqueline Wo
Amanda
Often time character education books, lecture students instead of inspiring them to be the best people that they can be. The story of Emily and her big sister inspires students to understand the meaning of empathy instead of just telling them that they have to be empathetic. In our fast paced world, it is easy to become self-absorbed. By teaching our students about empathy, we are providing them with skill that will help them become global citizens that care about all of humanity. Empathy and th ...more
Kerry
In a time where the world's population seem to be self-focussed, little gems like this come along. It's a nice story but its main quality is that it is a great book for starting a discussion about being more aware of other people. I am not sure that it goes far enough to explain empathy but it is a good conversation starter.
Jessica Bukowinski
I was reading my kids books about manners, and was losing them. I pulled this on from the pile and suddenly they were engaged. I asked my 10 year old why, and he said without hesitation that they had liked it better because it told a story rather than just listing how to behave.
Linda
This is a good story showing numerous kinds of ways that a young girl learns empathy all during the day as she encounters different situations, with her parents and with kids at school. It will be a great read aloud for conversation.
Kelly
This is a valuable "social story" text in that it names and defines a desirable social behavior (empathy) and then offers several practical applications within the context of one child's story.
Ashley Hartley
I decided to include this story because empathy is an important aspect of the focus of this text set. Understanding that others can be hurt when they are disrespected may cause the students to reflect on their own feelings when they feel that way. This may provide them with another reason not to mistreat others.
R.L.
It is hard to create a book that entertains and teaches a good lesson,too. This book is well-written and illustrated. The lesson on empathy is clear without being preachy. Good job!
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Wendy Swenson
Wendy Swenson marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Joan Leaman
Joan Leaman marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jan 04, 2015
Lori Beth Coxey
Lori Beth Coxey marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Juice Box Bully, The : Empowering Kids to Stand Up for Others Creating Classrooms Where Teachers Love to Teach and Students Love to Learn Preventing Early Learning Failure It's Time to Stand Up and Speak Up! for Yourself and Others Essential Math Skills: Over 250 Activities to Develop Deep Learning