The Crisis

The Crisis

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This is a novel about the events leading up to the American Civil War, by the American author Winston Churchill. The story is set in the author's home town of St. Louis, Missouri, the site of pivotal events in the western theater of the Civil War, with historically prominent citizens having both Northern and Southern sympathies.
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioBazaar (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about The Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crisis

1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man’s Library
85th out of 100 books — 118 voters
The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonThe Civil War by Shelby FooteCold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Best Civil War Books
187th out of 510 books — 550 voters

More lists with this book...

Curtiss
The best book I've ever read about Abraham Lincoln, in the same sense that the novel "Ben Hur" is about Jesus Christ. The American author Winston Churcill (NOT Winston S. Churchill, the Prime Minister of Great Britain) portrays Lincoln as being the sacrifice America had to pay to redeem it from the sin of slavery.

Oct 17, 2011 Curtiss rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Curtiss by: I found it by accident, while trying to buy "The World Crisis" b
The best book I've ever read about Abraham Lincoln. The American author Winston Churchill (NOT Winston S. Churchill, the Prime Minister of Great Britain) portrays Lincoln as being the sacrifice America had to pay to redeem it from the sin of slavery.

The author, Winston Churchill, chose to set the action in his home town of St. Louis, because that was the site of pivotal events in the western theater of the Civil War, with historically prominent citizens having both Northern and Southern sympathi...more
Jerrodm
I have mixed emotions about this book. In the first place, I feel as though I read it somewhat under false pretense, since I definitely thought that it was a book by British Prime Minister and all around notable quotable Sir Winston Churchill. I had read and greatly enjoyed his History of the English Speaking People (am I misremembering the title?) several years ago, and assumed this was a book about World War II or somesuch. It is not. In fact, it is a novel, written by the American author of t...more
Kristine Pratt
I had never heard of this author and am forever grateful for the reading challenge who introduced him to me. Just as I am grateful to this author for introducing me to this side of Abraham Lincoln.

Moving...maybe not always accurate in historical detail and certainly no shred of political correctness, this is an honest book. A look at a time in America's history when it's still fresh in the memory of the readers. To me that is where the wonder of this book lies - in how the author has shown the...more
Thom
The history is detailed and sound, the drama is soap operatic and the author is frequently, shockingly racist. Somehow the book still pulls the reader along. Maybe because it's so awkward?
Donald
Aug 05, 2008 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fiction set during the Civil War,
Recommended to Donald by: My English Teacher
By the American Winston Churchill, an excellent Civil War novel I read and loved in high school.
Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
No, it's not that Winston Churchill, though that was my assumption when I read the book years ago. The Crisis is a grand Civil War story, pretty much the Gone With the Wind of its day. There's North and South romance, political games in Washington, and a huge cast of characters. It was filmed in 1916, one year after D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation and rivaled it in popularity. It still exists, but is not readily available.

I remember liking the book, though I don't recall any details. Howe...more
Mohammad Ali Abedi
You have a book called “The Crisis” by Winston Churchill and you automatically think, well, this is going to be about Churchill’s experience in World War 2. But then you start to read and it’s not that, and you read some more, and you slowly realize it’s not even the Winston Churchill we all know. This Churchill guy is an American novelist and his book, “The Crisis”, was released in 1901 and was a smashing bestseller, which in a way, is bad news. What sort of book would be a bestseller in 1901?

L...more

Caleb Kimball
This book (The Crisis) is long but one of the great American classics. It tells the story of life and love during the Civil War, from a different perspective than what is normally presented.

If you want a 'fresh' view on the American Civil War, then get this book and read it, you will not be disappointed.
Deusprimus
Except for thinking that I was going to be reading something by the man I later learned always wrote under the name Winston S Churchill, this was an enjoyable book. Makes me want to read more about some of the historical characters portrayed herein. Several good moral statements, even if it is a well worn story type.
Deb
Difficult to read, I thought, probably because I have not read any really old books in a long while. The language and style take some getting used to. I did not finish it but plan to work on it again soon. Interesting that this book was a best seller near the beginning of the 20th century and set in St. Louis.
Jim
Jun 14, 2013 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, e-mail
The first book by this author that I have read and what an excellent read. Churchill draws you in and you can feel the pride and pain that was felt during the most trying time in our nation’s history.
CD
Not that Winston Churchill. The American one. An interesting novel about the state of politics that was published while there was living memory of the Civil War.
John
Mar 25, 2014 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, 5-star
read this 34 years ago but wrote at the time that it was a very good book on Lincoln .
Greg Perowne
All around a fantastic read and exploration of the American psyche during the civil war.
Nikki
He's a brilliant man, and easy to get into.
Jack Michalko
The worst book I've ever read. Boring....
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Warren
Warren marked it as to-read
Paul Peterson
Paul Peterson marked it as to-read
Jamie Tilton
Jamie Tilton marked it as to-read
Nancy Rodriguez
Nancy Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Betina Mutisheva
Betina Mutisheva marked it as to-read
Rose Lewter
Rose Lewter marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Enrique Hernández
Enrique Hernández marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
  • The Great Railway Bazaar
  • A River Runs Through It and Other Stories
  • Theodore Rex
  • The Naked and the Dead
This is not the British Prime Minister, Sir Winston Spencer Churchill. This is the American novelist, Winston Churchill.
Winston^^Churchill

Churchill was born in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of Edward Spalding and Emma Bell (Blaine) Churchill. He attended Smith Academy in Missouri and the United States Naval Academy, where he graduated in 1894 and became an editor of the Army and Navy Journal. He r...more
More about Winston Churchill...
The Crossing Project Gutenberg Complete Works of Winston Churchill Richard Carvel The Inside of the Cup The Inside of the Cup: V4

“We are still masters of our fate.
We are still captains of our souls.”
129 likes