Start by marking “The Crisis” as Want to Read:
The Crisis

The Crisis

This is a novel about the events leading up to the American Civil War, by the American author Winston Churchill. The story is set in the author's home town of St. Louis, Missouri, the site of pivotal events in the western theater of the Civil War, with historically prominent citizens having both Northern and Southern sympathies.
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioBazaar (first published 1901)

Jan 20, 2009 Curtiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I've ever read about Abraham Lincoln, in the same sense that the novel "Ben Hur" is about Jesus Christ. The American author Winston Churcill (NOT Winston S. Churchill, the Prime Minister of Great Britain) portrays Lincoln as being the sacrifice America had to pay to redeem it from the sin of slavery.

Mar 21, 2008 Curtiss rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Curtiss by: I found it by accident, while trying to buy "The World Crisis" b
The best book I've ever read about Abraham Lincoln. The American author Winston Churchill (NOT Winston S. Churchill, the Prime Minister of Great Britain) portrays Lincoln as being the sacrifice America had to pay to redeem it from the sin of slavery.

The author, Winston Churchill, chose to set the action in his home town of St. Louis, because that was the site of pivotal events in the western theater of the Civil War, with historically prominent citizens having both Northern and Southern sympathi
Jerrodm
I have  mixed emotions about this book.  In the first place, I feel as though I read it somewhat under false pretense, since I definitely thought that it was a book by British Prime Minister and all around notable quotable Sir Winston Churchill.  I had read and greatly enjoyed his History of the English Speaking People (am I misremembering the title?) several years ago, and assumed this was a book about World War II or somesuch.  It is not.  In fact, it is a novel, written by the American author ...more
Donald
Aug 05, 2008 Donald rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fiction set during the Civil War,
Recommended to Donald by: My English Teacher
By the American Winston Churchill, an excellent Civil War novel I read and loved in high school.
John Spencer
Jun 07, 2015 John Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influences
A Civil War novel, written when many of its readers still remembered the conflict, with often-overlooked perspectives regarding Abraham Lincoln and other figures of the era.
Doreen Petersen
Apr 11, 2014 Doreen Petersen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Very good piece of fiction which is not a genre I usually read but this was really good.
Thom
Sep 09, 2011 Thom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The history is detailed and sound, the drama is soap operatic and the author is frequently, shockingly racist. Somehow the book still pulls the reader along. Maybe because it's so awkward?
May 14, 2008 Curtiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Mar 21, 2008 Curtiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Mar 21, 2008 Curtiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Mohammad Ali Abedi
You have a book called “The Crisis” by Winston Churchill and you automatically think, well, this is going to be about Churchill’s experience in World War 2. But then you start to read and it’s not that, and you read some more, and you slowly realize it’s not even the Winston Churchill we all know. This Churchill guy is an American novelist and his book, “The Crisis”, was released in 1901 and was a smashing bestseller, which in a way, is bad news. What sort of book would be a bestseller in 1901?

L
Jack Hansen
This is one of the best books I have read this year. I put the book in the bathroom so I would only read a chapter at a time once halfway through - it is one of those books I did not want to end too soon. I love the style, vocabulary, plot, history, characters, and charm of the era when and where the story takes place as well as the author's talent when he writes The Crisis at the turn of twentieth century.

The language of that time in this fictional history maintains the story's integrity and is
Karla
No, it's not that Winston Churchill, though that was my assumption when I read the book years ago. The Crisis is a grand Civil War story, pretty much the Gone With the Wind of its day. There's North and South romance, political games in Washington, and a huge cast of characters. It was filmed in 1916, one year after D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation and rivaled it in popularity. It still exists, but is not readily available.

I remember liking the book, though I don't recall any details. How
Peter Pactor
Sep 06, 2016 Peter Pactor rated it it was amazing
The Crisis was the best selling book of 1901, and deservedly so. The story covers about fifteen years of American history from the repeal of the Missouri Compromise to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. The story captured the tenor of the times of the times, representing well the passions and struggles of the common people preceding and during the Civil War; including the breaking up of families and old friendships.

Even though the writing style was that of the nineteenth century, the book is
Kristine Hansen
I had never heard of this author and am forever grateful for the reading challenge who introduced him to me. Just as I am grateful to this author for introducing me to this side of Abraham Lincoln.

Moving...maybe not always accurate in historical detail and certainly no shred of political correctness, this is an honest book. A look at a time in America's history when it's still fresh in the memory of the readers. To me that is where the wonder of this book lies - in how the author has shown the
Marla
Feb 17, 2016 Marla rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this glimpse of history. Two of my favorite morals from it:
"A miracle had changed Virginia. He poise, her gentleness, her dignity, were the effects people saw. Her force people felt. And this is why we cannot of ourselves add one cubit to our stature. It is God who changes,--who cleanses us of our levity with the fire of trial. Happy, thrice happy, those whom He chasteneth."
And, "What was that upon the sleeper's face from which they drew back? A smile? Yes, and a light. The divine lig
Larry Hostetler
Oct 13, 2014 Larry Hostetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very instructive in what life might have been like before Lincoln became President. I don't pretend to be a historian, so don't know the historical accuracy of the book, but also didn't find anything that was at odds with what I have learned.

I also (in my ignorance) thought the historical novel to be a recent invention, but this was written in 1901 and fits squarely into that category.

Well worth the time, and this book has put me in search of others by this Winston Churchill (an American from S
Caleb Kimball
Jul 04, 2014 Caleb Kimball rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book (The Crisis) is long but one of the great American classics. It tells the story of life and love during the Civil War, from a different perspective than what is normally presented.

If you want a 'fresh' view on the American Civil War, then get this book and read it, you will not be disappointed.
Deusprimus
Aug 04, 2014 Deusprimus rated it liked it
Except for thinking that I was going to be reading something by the man I later learned always wrote under the name Winston S Churchill, this was an enjoyable book. Makes me want to read more about some of the historical characters portrayed herein. Several good moral statements, even if it is a well worn story type.
Deb
Aug 01, 2014 Deb rated it liked it
Difficult to read, I thought, probably because I have not read any really old books in a long while. The language and style take some getting used to. I did not finish it but plan to work on it again soon. Interesting that this book was a best seller near the beginning of the 20th century and set in St. Louis.
Paul Thillen
Nov 10, 2014 Paul Thillen rated it did not like it
Revisionist history at its finest. Cheesy love story built around the American Civil War as experienced in St. Louis, full of one dimensional characters, Forrest Gump quality coincidences and happy slaves that love their masters.

Important to read only to see how time changes the view of a war and to see how racism is casually found in popular literature.
Jim
Apr 24, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-mail, 2013
The first book by this author that I have read and what an excellent read. Churchill draws you in and you can feel the pride and pain that was felt during the most trying time in our nation’s history.
Amy Griffith
A good book based during the Civil War. Takes place in St. Louis and includes a lot of St. Louis history, including the role of German settlers and a look at the way the city was divided between confederates and rebels.
John
Dec 01, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 5-star
read this 34 years ago but wrote at the time that it was a very good book on Lincoln .
Shelley
Dec 12, 2016 Shelley rated it it was ok
I did not go into this expecting a novel so I'm super mixed on this
Jack Michalko
Aug 15, 2013 Jack Michalko rated it did not like it
The worst book I've ever read. Boring....
CD
Apr 27, 2013 CD rated it liked it
Not that Winston Churchill. The American one. An interesting novel about the state of politics that was published while there was living memory of the Civil War.
Diana
Jun 07, 2016 Diana rated it liked it
Abraham Lincoln in his most important role ever: matchmaking! The Great Uniter unites again!
Nikki
Dec 31, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it
He's a brilliant man, and easy to get into.
Greg Perowne
Dec 30, 2012 Greg Perowne rated it really liked it
All around a fantastic read and exploration of the American psyche during the civil war.
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • The Young Man's Guide
  • Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond
  • The Frontier in American History
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • Strenuous Life
  • Boy Scouts of America : The Official Handbook for Boys (Reprint of Original 1911 Edition)
  • Parallel Lives
  • Self-Reliance
  • The Great Railway Bazaar
  • Another Roadside Attraction
  • Freedom: A Novel of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War
This is not the British Prime Minister, Sir Winston Spencer Churchill. This is the American novelist, Winston Churchill.
Winston^^Churchill [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston...]

Churchill was born in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of Edward Spalding and Emma Bell (Blaine) Churchill. He attended Smith Academy in Missouri and the United States Naval Academy, where he graduated in 1894 and became
More about Winston Churchill...

“We are still masters of our fate.
We are still captains of our souls.”
160 likes
“강남안마∩OIO2I563384∩ 강남안마 역삼안마 선릉안마 강남역안마 역삼역안마 선릉역안마 강남안마방 역삼안마방 선릉안마방 강남역안마” 0 likes