Start by marking “Tornado Down” as Want to Read:
Tornado Down

Tornado Down

RAF Flight lieutenants John Peters and John Nichol were shot down over enemy territory on their first airbourne mission of the Gulf War. Their capture in the desert, half a mile from their blazing Tornado bomber, began a nightmare seven-week ordeal of torture and interrogation which brought both men close to death. In Tornado Down, John Peters and John Nichol tell the ...more
Published June 3rd 1993 by Signet Books (first published September 10th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Tornado Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tornado Down

Wendy Unsworth
Jun 27, 2012 Wendy Unsworth rated it it was amazing
In 1991 John Peters and John Nichol were pilot and navigator on a mission over Iraq. They were shot down and this is their story.
I wouldn't normally be very attracted to a book about fast jets but this is a story of human frailty, endurance and the will to survive. And what really endeared me to this book was the honesty. As air crew in a Tornado these guys were at the top of their game, very skilled and confident. But having ejected from their little world of technology they find themselves al
Sandeep Kashyap
Apr 21, 2016 Sandeep Kashyap rated it it was amazing
As I started the book, I was quite sceptical of its reputation given the fact that nowadays every Human being who faced situations which are considered extraordinary is writing books.
But as I turned pages I could make out the sheer intensity of the situations they encountered with the Iraqis. I was especially impressed with the details about modern warfare techniques, Tornadoes and other fighter jets.
As I read on, I could definitely identify the philosophical element especially in terms of Hum
Trevor
Aug 27, 2015 Trevor rated it it was amazing
This is the true story of John Nicol and John Peters, pilot and navigator of a Tornado shot down over Iraq at the start of the first Gulf War.

The book gives accounts from both men about their initial RAF background, the lead up to the war, their fateful flight over Iraq, being downed and finally being captured & imprisoned.

For seven weeks they were held hostage, beaten mercilessly, tortured and paraded on TV.

This is their story.....
Robert Hepple
Jun 29, 2016 Robert Hepple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tornado Down is a compelling tale of the events leading up to and following the loss of an RAF Tornado crew in Iraq in 1991. The events depicted have been covered on numerous TV documentaries since, yet a lot of the detail is skipped in these presentations and the book provides a more in depth view of things. Amazing.
Helena
May 01, 2008 Helena rated it really liked it
Shelves: oorlogsboeken
I was fortunate to meet John Nichol in 1997 - not just for me, but also for him, as he was still alive after the horrible events described in this book.
One of the most impressive books I've ever read, especially since it's all non-fiction.
Connor Levers
Connor Levers rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Ronan Proudfoot
Ronan Proudfoot rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Paul Craig
Paul Craig rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2013
Paul Alkazraji
Paul Alkazraji rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Mike Rigg
Mike Rigg rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Mary Chambers
Mary Chambers rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2011
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Lee Hider
Lee Hider rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Rodders
Rodders rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
mike
mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Kevin Gumm
Kevin Gumm rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2012
Sam Gunn
Sam Gunn rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Sammy Hart
Sammy Hart rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Collin
Collin rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Anthony Corlett
Anthony Corlett rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Stuart Colbourne
Stuart Colbourne rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Chris Charlton
Chris Charlton rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Nigel Porter
Nigel Porter rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Stig Tomas
Stig Tomas rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 3 Para
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • Operation Certain Death
  • Under the Wire: The Bestselling Memoir of an American Spitfire Pilot and Legendary POW Escaper
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Exit Wound (Nick Stone, #12)
  • Vulcan 607
  • Hellfire
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq