Start by marking “Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book” as Want to Read:
Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book

Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,623 ratings  ·  366 reviews
A humorous "guide to life" for grown-ups! One day, Diane Muldrow, a longtime editor of the iconic Little Golden Books, realized that, despite their whimsical appearance, there was hardly a real-life situation that hadn't been covered in the more than 70-year-old line of children's books—from managing money, to the importance of exercise, to finding contentment in the simpl ...more
Published December 21st 2013 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 2013)

Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnMe Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakOrphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
2014: What the Over 35's Are Reading
433rd out of 2,391 books — 529 voters
It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Best Titles Ever
16th out of 180 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I received access to a digital edition of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I had high hopes for this book, I really did. I grew up on Little Golden Books and loved them. I do not know what happened, but I did not get the version of this book that is described here. My book was twelve pages long and sounded complete. But the inside did not in any way match the cover. It is not in the slightest bit humorous as mentioned in the description here on Goodreads.

The cover i
Carmine
Oct 26, 2013 Carmine rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grown ups that like cutesy stuff
Shelves: adult
Hmmm, some how I expected something more substantial than this cutesy 5 minute read aimed at nostalgic adults. As with the original Little Golden Books, much of the charm lies in the illustrations and here you will see a who's who of their great illustrators- Tibor Gergely, J.P. Miller, Alice and Martin Provensen, Garth Williams, Richard Scarry and others. But overlaid on these fabulous vintage illustrations pulled from a variety of Golden Book titles are silly little grains of advice such as, " ...more
Rachel Watkins
This is nostalgic little gift book that would be a nice high school or college graduation gift. Guaranteed to make anyone familiar with Little Golden Books smile!
Karen
Lately, I've been building up my almost-five-year-old son's library of Little Golden Books. I had quite a collection when I was a child, but somewhere in the many moves of my childhood, my books were lost. Diane Muldrow's book could not have come out at a better time for me. I was thrilled to see that we already have the five LGBs featured in her foreword. I knew then that we were on the right track.

In Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book, Diane Muldrow took illustration
Michelle Ruedin
Dec 20, 2014 Michelle Ruedin rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who REALLY love Little Golden Books
I was delighted at first because "Oh! I love the Pokey Little Puppy! He's my favorite!" and "I FORGOT The Saggy Baggy Elephant. I loved that so much!" However, after riding out the initial waves of nostalgia, I became rapidly bored with the simplistic and mundane advice issued in three to five word sentences on every page.

I put it down about a third of the way through. Probably great if you are a much more hardcore Little Golden Book fan than I.
Shannon The Show Stopper
I recieved this as a Christmas gift from one of our parishioners. I was really excited to read it and thought it would be fabulous when I read the first page. Which was kind of an inside joke for all that's happened in the last several months. I have to admit although the concept is good I just don't think the follow through was. I still love my Golden books though!
Donna
Although the copy I received is cataloged as a children's book, I have seen this sold in the adult section of book stores. It is mostly pictures -- most of which will be familiar to you if you have read Little Golden Books, although there are some I have never seen before. Also the titles listed with some of the pictures don't seem to be in harmony with the "meanings" given in this book. Oh well, I read it and it was a book.
Emily  (ObsessedReader)
Cute concept. Definitely would be more appreciated by those raised on the Little Golden Books. The illustrations were very fun to look at. However this wasn't anything that exciting. It seems like it didn't take much thought at all and was composed in about 15 minutes. It was just okay...I was definitely expecting more.
Caren
What fun! Being a baby boomer, there is more than a little nostalgia here: these are the books of my youth, after all. Still, the messages are timeless. I had a lot of fun revisiting those sweet characters and had forgotten just how wise they were.
Kara Moore
Quick read
Pamela
As a kid my grandma always bought my Little Golden books and this just made me think of her so I had to read it. It was like a trip down memory lane seeing all the characters I loved in all my childhood books. I loved it!
Mindy
Walter found this book and bought it for me. If there's one thing I still have on my book shelf it is all my little golden books! Even when I see them in the store I often comment on them. This was a perfect gift.

I LOVED IT! Of course! I grew up reading Golden Books and seeing familiar friends was so much fun. :)
Sheila M Goodman
Such a wonderful, simple book. Really did bring back memories of all the Golden books I read as a child. A nice reminder to stop & enjoy the simple things in your life. This book is a must for everyone's coffee table. It's right up there with Dr. Seuss' "Oh, The Places You Will Go"
Sharon
Author Diane Muldrow is an editor for Little Golden Books, and an expert on the art and artists who have worked for the imprint over the years. I had the pleasure of hearing her speak recently, and also met her after the lecture.

Muldrow uses illustrations from classic Little Golden Books to illustrate philosophical points for adults who may have forgotten the important lessons from childhood. For example, an illustration from "Five Pennies to Spend" reminds us to keep a budget and stick to it.

Th
Kelly Kujan
Cute book and very true. I loved little golden books. I read them to my children all along. This is a great book to keep and have to read over and over again.
Sydney Young
A friend gave this to me when I was in need. It was the perfect nostalgic pick me up, I loved it! brought back some memories. :)
Lindsey
I love this book! To me it shows that Golden Books are for every age. Young or old. Golden Books have a life lesson for everyone to learn.
Julie Zimmerman
Cute, animated guidance! I like the advice "be a hugger," "stay curious," and "turn off the TV from to time to and crack open a book!"
Negin
Lovely little small coffee-table type book, full of nostalgic illustrations (from past books) and one-sentence words of advice.
Catherine
Cute little book filled with large wisdom. Everyone needs to remember the little life lessons presented in the Golden Books.
Angie
Read this book for some life advice paired with nostalgia and a sprinkle of warm fuzzies!
Lani
This is great. And so true. I still learn from Little Golden Books.
Emma Codd
"I grew up on Little Golden Books, with their golden spines and colourful, board covers. In fact, I still have my favourite, albeit in a rather well used state: The Little Red Caboose, by Marianne Potter. And it is the hours of enjoyment I had turning the pages of these books that lead me to buy Little Golden Book, for children, even now, each time birthdays come round."

Read the rest of my review on NZ Booklovers: http://www.nzbooklovers.co.nz/non-fic...
Debbie
Fabulous picture book for adults and a perfect gift, especially for those of us who remember the Little Golden Books. An illustration is borrowed from titles such as THE POKEY LITTLE PUPPY, SCUFFY THE TUGBOAT, and many more to create a narrative about living. Phrases such as "Today's new day!" and "Work hard play hard" abound. Simply a fun book.
Gloria
This brief nonfiction book will swiftly take many adults down memory lane into the world of reading Little Golden Books. It won't take more than 15 minutes to read the book, but the messages will last much longer. With pictures primarily from the books published in the 1940s and 1950s and contemporary words, many readers will feel a sentimental tug. So in the words of one Golden Book..."Treat Yourself. The Simplest Things are Often the Most Fun!"
Kandice
Take a trip down memory lane... This little gem features life lessons coupled with popular illustrations from the timeless collection of Little Golden books. A must-have for book lovers. I think it would make for an interesting coffee table book, albeit on the smaller size, it would spark some great conversations. Yeah, I'm going to go back and buy it...
Mary
See how many Golden Book illustrations and character you can remember growing up. I sure loved the 1950's being read to and learning to read with so many of these books. The updated captions are delightful, too.
Amanda
I thought this was a chapter book. Instead, it has a little golden book illustration and a caption on each page. Quick. Simple. The illustrations took me down memory lane with pictures I saw as a child.
Angie Vallejo
Great nostalgic book. The original description says "humorous" guide, but it really reminds us of the basics to a good life. This would be a great gift book too.
Tammy Frederici
It is an adorable little book. Put a smile on your face kind of read. Don't we all need that sometime?
  • Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became An American Icon Along the Way
  • Underwater Dogs
  • Wild Things! Acts of Mischief in Children's Literature
  • Dream Animals: A Bedtime Journey
  • Children's Literature: The World's Greatest Kids' Lit as Comics and Visuals (The Graphic Canon)
  • Bizarre Books
  • Sorry I Barfed on Your Bed (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Kitty)
  • A Map of the World: The World According to Illustrators and Storytellers
  • What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should): Timeless Secrets to Get Everything you Want in Love, Life, and Work
  • What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children's Books
  • That Book: ...of Perfectly Useless Information
  • Heroes for My Daughter
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • The Public Library: A Photographic Essay
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood
  • Deep in the Sahara
  • The Apple Orchard Riddle (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • Lil BUB's Lil Book: The Extraordinary Life of the Most Amazing Cat on the Planet
Diane Muldrow grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She later attended Ohio University, where she earned a Bachelor's Degree in Magazine Journalism and a Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts: Dance. After her graduation, Diane moved to New York. She spent several years performing as an actress and dancer in New York’s downtown avant-garde performance scene. She also danced in a performance at Lincoln Cen ...more
More about Diane Muldrow...
The Little Red Hen Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman) We Planted a Tree Stirring It Up (Dish, #1) Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book