Start by marking “To Iraq and Back” as Want to Read:
To Iraq and Back

To Iraq and Back

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Jessica Scott is a career army officer, mother of two daughters, three cats and three dogs, wife to a career NCO and wrangler of all things stuffed and fluffy. She is a terrible cook and even worse housekeeper, but she's a pretty good shot with her assigned weapon and someone liked some of the stuff she wrote. Somehow, her children are pretty well adjusted and her husband ...more
Published December 10th 2012 by Publication Riot Group Creatives

To ask other readers questions about To Iraq and Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Iraq and Back

Donna McBroom-Theriot
To Iraq and Back is a journal written through out the one year deployment of Jessica Scott. She writes candidly about her time at war, her feelings as a woman in combat and a place of authority, a mother having to leave her two young children behind, and as a wife of an enlisted man.

Jessica Scott doesn't hold back on speaking her mind about what she is feeling. She spoke of her struggles on being a woman in the military, as well being a wife and mother. She wrote about being an officer and the d
Philippa Lodge
Dec 21, 2012 Philippa Lodge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded Jessica Scott's first novel on a recommendation from... Smart Bitches or another review site.

Wait, let me go back and say that I'm pretty much a pacifist and a peacenik. Over the years, I have unbent from the rigid principles of adolescence and accepted that yes, we do need a military and, yes, that it offers a good career and training for the rest of life. The shooting and getting shot still unnerves me.

So anyway, I think I have learned more about the real people within the Army fr
Penny
Dec 28, 2012 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of the book is To Iraq and Back--a blog documentary written by Jessica Scott, a career army officer stationed at Fort Hood.

It is a year in the life of Jessica Scott, when she and her husband stood parallel duty in country during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn. It is a year in the life of a military mother, separated from her two very young daughters by distance and time. It is a year in the life of a fledgling writer, struggling to learn her desired trade in situations
Stephen Clynes
Apr 21, 2015 Stephen Clynes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica is a soldier who writes a blog and her book is compiled from her blog posts between October 2008 and December 2009. She has a deployment for a year to Mosul in Iraq and this is an insight into her life.

I enjoyed reading To Iraq And Back because it was such a refreshing read for me. I am a pacifist and was totally against the illegal invasion of Iraq but I wanted to read her book with an open mind. What I found was a lovely tale from a very ordinary girl-next-door type of woman, who chose
Liza
Dec 27, 2012 Liza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of To Iraq and Back from the author with the promise of an honest review. I knew the book would be about Jessica’s deployment to Iraq, I even had read some of her blog while she was deployed, but I had no idea how much the story would grab me.

My first thought is I have never said thank you enough to all the men and women who serve in our armed services. I can’t think of a harder job on earth than one where you go into battle to protect your country, family and friends knowing
Luisa
Mar 09, 2013 Luisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Scot usually writes military romances but this time she wrote a book about her one-year deployment in Iraq. Jessica and her husband are career military, so they went together. The book was written in blog form and reads like a diary. Here you get to read about Jessica's work, the environment, working conditions, the horrible heat, etc. You get a sense of the routine and common stuff, but most important, you read about her feelings. I was very impressed by the sacrifice this mother made, ...more
Marianne
Jan 26, 2013 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for the book -- 21-stars salute for the author and our men and women serving in the armed forces ... thank you all for what you do for our country!!

I downloaded this book the day before the Pentagon announced that the combat ban for women in the military would end ... a rather unexpected event on my part. Interesting item to me was that even though women were not considered to be involved in combat, I sure wouldn't want to be in the location Ms. Scott was in -- it sounded as close to
Nicole
Jul 13, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nicole by: Renee
A nice glimpse into the mind of a soldier, writer, mother, and wife. As someone who respects our military members and the sacrifices they, and their families, make, I found some of her thoughts reflected my mother in law's, who is retired Air Force. It's hard to be a woman. Even harder to be a woman in the military. Harder still to be a woman in charge. I applaud you, Jessica, for not only serving our country so proudly, but for speaking your mind and sharing your thoughts.

As for the writing tid
Natasha
Apr 01, 2013 Natasha marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
DNF 20%

I should have read the blurb before starting to read this book, but I usually don't so it's my fault that I didn't enjoy this one (and therefore refraining from rating the book).

Although I like what the book is about I don't like the writing style. This is a series of blog entries that contain discussions on lots of random stuff (including writing progress on the Author's other books) rather than only the topic I want to read about, i.e. the emotional journey of a mom & wife going to
Martha Campbell
Apr 29, 2016 Martha Campbell rated it it was amazing
Insightful and Truth

First thank you for publishing your blog. I wish I knew about you then. As a daughter of a Vietnam veteran who had three tours in country, sister to my soldier brother and sister and an Armor Officers wife now retired it was refreshing to read a woman's thoughts of her time down range. Thank you for you truth. Everyone should read this because it is eye opening and heart felt. I laughed and I cried but I came away with a better understanding of what it is like for these brave
Peggy
Mar 28, 2013 Peggy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A blog about a Woman soldier sent to Iraq. Mostly a blog about continuing her writing while serving in Iraq. Very disappointed in this book.
Betsy
Dec 05, 2014 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Iraq and Back is a collection of the author's blog postings for the year that she was stationed in Iraq. It was a time of leaving her children with her mother, learning about herself as a US Army officer and as a waiting-to-be-published author. I felt it brought a very human touch to the deployments of soldiers - a lot of 'hurry up and do nothing' followed by moments of wry humor, terror and loneliness. To Iraq and Back filled in some of the pieces between the stories I have been told about d ...more
Charlotte Lynn
Jan 21, 2013 Charlotte Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Iraq and Back is a story of Second Lieutenant Jessica Scott as she is getting ready to be deployed to Iraq and her deployment to Iraq. It is a story of a mother, a writer, and a Lieutenant as she struggles through leaving her children, keeping up with her books and blog, and learning how to be a leader.

I learned so much from Jessica’s writing. A sneak peak into what goes into being in the military and all that one has to give up and let go of. The grief of leaving her children even with the k
Paula Robinson
Jan 10, 2013 Paula Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I read a non fiction novel that resonated so deeply with me. I love Jessica Scott's fictional works. She does military romance well, and I love how they hit me on the much deeper emotional level as a woman and former soldier. To Iraq and Back is very different, but it resonated with me as much as those other books.

This book is a compilation of the blogs Scott wrote during her deployment, and you can sense her fear, uncertainty, and any doubt she had. You also get to e
Kame
Dec 24, 2012 Kame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is Christmas Eve and preparations for my family's holiday are in full swing, and I stole a few moments to finish "To Iraq and Back".

Jessica Scott Fans need to know this is not a romance story, but a life story. This is a journey, more than a book, and I am humbled that Jessica has allowed me to be part of it. Yes, be part of it, there is no other way to describe it. Jessica writes about her one year deployment to Iraq in such a way that I felt strong emotions as I read the blog entries. With
Carolyn
Apr 21, 2013 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
To Iraq And Back...Jessica Scott
Thank You For Serving!

I won a copy of Iraq And Back from the author in return for my honest reveiw.

This book is written in blog form and reads like a journal entry. I was expecting an Autobiography, so, this was different for me, not quite what I expected. I wanted more information of her growing up, what made her decision to become a soldier, etc..

I commend Jessica for her courage for being a soldier, for being a strong mother who is able to go off to war and le
Pat
Jan 02, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Iraq and Back......by Jessica Scott
I was first introduced to Ms. Scott 's work when I read Because of You. I enjoy reading military romances, and she was a new author for me. I then read a review on The Romance Man's blog, the first romance novel he reviewed. I was totally amazed then to find out she was a Army officer, and her husband was deployed. I was impressed by her courage
and dedication and so in awe of her bravery. Her second novel Until There Was You was just as enjoyable as her fir
Renee
Mar 21, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of blog posts by Jessica Scott that begins with her preparing for a year long deployment in Iraq, her journey of discovery while she is over there, & then finally her return trip home & reunion with her daughters.

I generally don't read non-fiction. That being said, I am glad I decided to read Jessica's story. I have several friends that have served or are currently serving in the military and who have been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan themselves. While I'm su
Clare O'Beara
The blurb is somewhat misleading in that the book is a compilation of a woman blogging about having to leave her kids with her parents while she and her husband both serve a tour of duty. Throughout the tour we hear lots about missing the kids, the dust and dirt and filthy latrines, how much makeup it is right to wear (why wear any? You're a soldier) and the spats she has with officers above and staff below her. But nothing really about a soldier's tour of duty.
Being in a helicopter and learnin
Mare Grohowski
A very unique approach to the Iraq deployment memoir. Scott literally publishes the entries from a blog she kept while in Iraq between the covers of a book. Sometimes Scott discusses aspects of serving as an officer in the Army, but mostly she's writing about being a writer -- establishing her career as a military romance writer who self-publishes. A very 21st century deployment memoir, a blog of war that rarely discusses the war. Still sitting with this and my interpretation of it.
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
Sarah's Review:
I have been trying to figure out how to review this book for three weeks and I am going to struggle with it, but I NEED to write it. I have been wanting to read this story for a while now, but didn't get a chance to because of Graduate School. I am a huge supporter of the United States Military.

Please note: This story is JESSICA SCOTT's story and it is HER views. It is raw. It is emotional. It is real.
Jill James
Mar 21, 2014 Jill James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great memoir to read. Love the personal accounts of being a mommy, a soldier, and a writer.
Michelle Chawner
Dec 22, 2015 Michelle Chawner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of insight into the world of writing and how much goes into it. Let alone what life is like away from the states, during times of war. Good easy read. Very insightful.
Krissys
Nov 13, 2014 Krissys rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: featured-books, star
Wow... really wow... Its difficult to get through a book like this one because its not just a story. Its an account. Its a connection to something at home or a routine you would keep if you were still at home except that she isn't. She's in a place most women aren't brave enough to tread.
I felt both disdain, awe, sympathy, pride, love, heartache... Many emotions that just floor you from beginning to end. I was very impressed with this book.
Danielle Woods
Apr 02, 2013 Danielle Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book/blog by Jessica Scott. I have read other books by her and it was interesting to see what it was like for her to be away from her family for a year in Iraq. She is an amazing woman and I want to thank her for making the sacrifice and being away from her family so WE can continue to be free!
Katrina Hoppe
I feel like perhaps the title is misleading in terms of the content of the book. Yes, there was content about serving her tour but it felt as though the majority of the book was about her journey to become a published author. It was not a horrible book, just boring in many parts and excellent in other parts.
Hannele
May 31, 2013 Hannele rated it liked it
It's not a bad book. The story and events are something I like to read about but the blog/diary format didn't really do it for me. a little bit of editing and it would've been a fine book indeed.
Kimme
Apr 11, 2013 Kimme rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed in this book. I had to force myself to finish it. I thought it was going to be about life in Iraq for a female officer and it ended up being a female officer whining.
Marjorie
Apr 02, 2013 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Thank you, Jessica Scott, for your sacrifices (being a mommy, defending our country). Your thoughts were well written and I can hardly wait to read one of your books.
Beckey
The book was blog documentary of Jessica's deployment to Iraq. Interestingly written in what I call a diary style format. Enjoyable to read.
  • Unspoken Abandonment: Sometimes the hardest part of going to war is coming home
  • TYMURS: The 1982 Tylenol Murders
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • The Line, the Itch and the Rabbit Hole
  • Sail Away: Journeys of a Merchant Seaman
  • Beyond Survival
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
  • The Wolf and the Watchman: A Father, a Son, and the CIA
  • Olivia
  • The Girls Come Marching Home: Stories of Women Warriors Returning from the War in Iraq
  • The Smithsonian Book of Presidential Trivia
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • Mobsters, Gangs, Crooks and Other Creeps:Volume 1 - New York City
  • Yokohama Yankee: My Family's Five Generations as Outsiders in Japan
  • Healing, Romance & Revolution: Letters from a Young American Nurse in 1926 China
  • Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey
  • 3500: An Autistic Boy's Ten-Year Romance with Snow White
  • Betty's Child
Jessica Scott is an Iraq war veteran, an active duty army officer and the USA Today bestselling author of novels set in the heart of America’s Army. She is the mother of two daughters, three cats and three dogs, and wife to a retired NCO. She and her family are currently wherever the Army has sent her.

She's also written for the New York Times At War Blog, PBS Point of View Regarding War, and IAVA.
More about Jessica Scott...