Start by marking “Miserere” as Want to Read:
Miserere

Miserere

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
1968 – a year of upheaval for the nation and for the Mitchell family. When her father goes MIA in Vietnam, ten-year-old Connemara and her family move to West Virginia and into her mother’s ancestral home – a neglected house whose walls hold old secrets of forbidden love and knowledge of things best forgotten.
For reasons she does not yet understand, Conn is chosen as the on
ebook
Published November 28th 2012 by Corgyn Publishing (first published November 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Miserere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miserere

Bib
Mar 23, 2016 Bib rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book classified under lesbian fiction which I thought will fit better under racial issues. Miserere is nevertheless a good and enjoyable read for me, it seems all books by Caren Werlinger is a seal of quality. Miserere is a story told from the eyes of a 11 year old Conn, reliving the life of her ancestor vicariously through dreams she is having. Sounds incredible, but tale is well told by the author, and keeps the reader hanging on till the very end.
Barrett
Sep 23, 2014 Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caren J. Werlinger is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favorite writers.
I read “In This Small Spot” a couple of months ago and was carried away by the rich intricately woven story, which stayed with me for weeks.
Yesterday, I finished “Miserere” and once again found myself captivated by an incredible historical piece that was carefully crafted around some dark historical times and imbued with tantalizing mystery.
The characters are complex and authentic and her descriptions vivid. I was compe
Elaine Burnes
Jun 29, 2013 Elaine Burnes rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian
I like the story, I like the juxtaposition of the past with the present. The characters are all very likeable (or not likeable, as they should be). This is different. Not your average lesfic. I like that it had romance without being a Romance. It has elements of coming out/coming of age, but doesn’t focus solely on that. I am curious to read more by this author.

The story of Caitriona and Orla in the past is quite compelling and well done. The switch from past to present was not jarring. I was co
T.T. Thomas
Jan 11, 2013 T.T. Thomas rated it it was amazing
Caren Werlinger has written a masterful and gorgeous story in Miserere. Like the other reviewers, I could not put this book down. The story is about redemption in unlikely places among people related by blood or historical proximity to one another against a backdrop of the travesties committed in Ireland during the potato famine and in American during the last years of legalized slavery and, again in America, during the late 1960s. The juxtaposition of the Irish problem with that of the slaves a ...more
Mary Maddox
Jul 16, 2013 Mary Maddox rated it it was amazing
In MISERERE Caren J. Werlinger has written an historical novel that weaves together narratives from two periods: the mid-1960s dominated by the Civil Rights Movement and the mid-1800s that saw the Civil War and the end of legalized slavery in America. The story centers on the descendants of Caitríona Ní Faolain, an Irish girl brought to America as an indentured servant.

One descendant in particular, eleven-year-old Connemara Mitchell, carries a heavy burden. Only she can lift a curse that began w
Maria Ciletti
May 27, 2013 Maria Ciletti rated it it was amazing
Excellent story! Gone with the Wind meets Fried Green Tomatoes.
susan
Jan 24, 2016 susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first historical book

I couldn't have picked a better to start reading in this genre. The storyline and characters were all written beautifully. I was so drawn into the story from the beginning. I cried a lot while reading this one but was warmed by the friendships and family relationships in it.
Sohna Ravindran
Mar 12, 2014 Sohna Ravindran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a giveaway from First Reads.

I really liked this book. I thought it was a real page turner and I was quite invested in the characters' lives . The only reason I'm knocking a star off is because I thought the curse was left a bit unexplained. I'm not sure if I misread it, but it seemed like the ending didn't quite match up with what we were told about the curse earlier.

Other than that, great book. :)
Annette Mori
Jan 24, 2016 Annette Mori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. What a wonderful story told in two historical periods of time. This was a touching story of love, suspense, redemption - all woven into a wonderful history lesson. I can't begin to express how much I recommend this book. One of the best I've read in a long time and I read a lot.
Kaitlyn
Apr 03, 2013 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. I love historical fiction and stories linked through time. It was well paced and written, grabbing me in a way that all the best books do. I was with Conn unfolding the mystery while I was working kinks out of my clients (massage therapy is a great profession for daydreamers ;)Read this book!
Alicia
Nov 08, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it
A very interesting and multilayered story. The characters had depth and personality, the author made you care about all of them. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Genny
May 09, 2013 Genny rated it it was amazing
Tied the lives of two people from different time periods together very nicely.
Elisa Rolle
Nov 01, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2013 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Baxter Trautman
Young girl returns to old family home and lifts ancient curse.
Ulla
May 06, 2013 Ulla rated it it was amazing
A really interesting story, a wonderful read!
Gail M. Clifton
Gail M. Clifton rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Beck
Beck marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Krish
Krish added it
Apr 26, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Katarina Blair
Katarina Blair rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Linnas
Linnas marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Tj Dinwiddie
Tj Dinwiddie rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Nhu
Nhu marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Santina
Santina rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2016
Dreaming
Dreaming marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Kennedy
Kennedy marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Sward4evr
Sward4evr marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
  • Flowers from Iraq (The Storyteller and The Healer, #1)
  • Aftermath
  • Forever Hold His Peace (The Crofton Chronicles #3)
  • Mayon
  • Easy Ryder
  • The Celestial
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Letters Never Sent
  • A Breach of Promise (The Rules of Engagement Book 1)
  • Balefire
  • Snow Moon Rising
  • Nightingale
  • The Sea of Light
  • A Question of Ghosts
  • Reapers, Inc. - Brigit's Cross
  • In Deep Waters: Cruising the Seas
  • A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)
  • Deep Deception
From the author's website: I was raised in Ohio, the oldest of four children. Much of my childhood was spent reading everything I could get my hands on, and writing my own variations on many of those stories where I could play the hero, rescuing the girl and winning her love. Then I grew up and went to college where I completed a degree in foreign languages and later another in physical therapy wh ...more
More about Caren J. Werlinger...