Start by marking “The Red Moth (Inspector Pekkala, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Red Moth (Inspector Pekkala, #4)

The Red Moth (Inspector Pekkala #4)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  317 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Published February 7th 2013 by Faber and Faber (first published January 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Moth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Moth

Pat
Feb 10, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
The Red Moth by Sam Eastland is the fourth book in the Inspector Pekkala series. Sadly, this book is not available in the U.S. at the current time and I ordered it from the Book Depository UK. The fifth book is also out but again not in this country. Books 1 through 3 in the series are here in the U. S. so why not the rest??? As I was reading reviews on Amazon, one reviewer stated this is a 6 book series so this reader wanted to finished what she considers an improving storyline with each editio ...more
Kala Hammer
Feb 23, 2015 Kala Hammer rated it liked it
Sam Eastland does a good job at intertwining Russian facts and history into the fictional story, which he always clarifies fact from fiction at the end. As my friends all know, I am a big fan of Russian history, specifically this time period. I really enjoyed the first three books in the series but I did not think this was as good as the others for majority of the book. Eastland does well with intrigue, throwing curve balls into the story line which is always appreciated. There's nothing worse i ...more
Kevin
May 09, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing
As Hitler's forces smash into Soviet territory, annihilating the Red Army divisions in its path, a lone German scout plane is forced down. Contained within the briefcase of its passenger is the seemingly inconsequential painting of a hyalophoria cecropia, otherwise known as a red moth. Military Intelligence dismisses the picture as insignificant, but in the state of emergency Stalin suspects a German plot. He summons his old adversary, Inspector Pekkala - the elusive Finn who was once Tsar Nicho ...more
Roseb612
Aug 22, 2015 Roseb612 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Další díl a další kvalitativní posun vpřed - takže toto je zatím nejlepší díl série (doufám, že mi tohle tvrzení vydrží až do šestého dílu). Konečně je také vidět, že na knížce pracoval kvalitní editor - nonsensy zmizely, autor už stále neopakuje dokola historky z předchozích dílů, styl se prostě vyčistil - hurá!
Děj se točí kolem Jantarové komnaty, snahy Němců Komnatu odvézt zpět do Německa a snahy Rusů jim v tom zabránit. Děj je plný zajímavých momentů a zvratů (šifra v obraze, schůzky se znalc
David Usharauli
Inspector Pekkala is an enigmatic fictional character invented by Sam Eastland. I read 5 novels (6th has just been released), out of which book #1 (Eye of the Red Tsar) and book #4 (The Red Moth) are the most interesting from a historical perspective providing wealth of information about people, time period (though highly superficial).

In "the Red Moth" Pekkala is tasked to recover famous "amber room" lost during Red Army's retreat in early days of German invasion of Soviet Union in 1941. The nov
Ruth
Feb 21, 2016 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-historical
c2013: FWFTB: 1941, Stalin, treasure, Tsar, mission. Probably the most straight forward of the Inspector Pekkala series and probably one of those interim type books setting up the main character for a change in direction. Well, considering the ending, I hope so! Succinctly written with not a word wasted. Believable dialogue and some lovely snappy lines. It was a quick read and I'm on the hunt for the next in the series. Recommended to the normal crew. "That is the nature of the collector. He mus ...more
Lori
Mar 06, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
I have read all of the Inspector Pekkala books, and I have enjoyed them all! When is the next one coming out?
Mike
Jun 01, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-fiction
Inspector Pekkala's fourth outing from the pen of Sam Eastland sees the Finnish detective return to Tsar Nicholas II's summer residence as the Nazis overrun the area in 1941. Eastland's usual detail and ability to pull his reader along are once again in evidence, along with every good inspector's individual idiosyncrasies.

If Eastland continues delivering yarns of this quality, it can't be too long before his audience widens considerably and films rights begin being discussed.
Katherine
Apr 30, 2016 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Can Pekkala manage to save the Amber Room of the Catherine Palace before the oncoming German Army arrives? It is Hitler's aim to relocate the precious amber panels to the Konigsberg Castle until a special Gallery can be erected to house them. It is Stalin's aim to move them to Moscow and prevent Hitler's mission--not that he, Stalin, particularly cares about the artwork itself. He merely wished to thwart his enemy.
James Murphy
Apr 08, 2016 James Murphy rated it really liked it
In this installment of the Inspector Pekkala series, it is August 1941 and Nazi Germany has invaded Russia. A German scout plane, carrying a Luftwaffe pilot and a Waffen SS officer, is shot down behind Russian lines. The Waffen SS officer has a briefcase that turns out to contain a painting of a red moth. The painting, however, is the starting point of a mystery that involves Inspector Pekkala in a plot to steal an invaluable Romanov treasure. "The Red Moth" is another treat from author Sam East ...more
David Oliver
Aug 17, 2015 David Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I might never have discovered the Inspector Pekkala series but for a Goodreads recommendation. Usually the early books of a series are the best in many cases so I am very pleasantly surprised that Mr Eastland has managed to sustain my interest at 5 star levels for four books now.

The stories are well crafted, with engaging characters and suspenseful plots. And if you have a taste for 20th century Russia then that's the icing on the cake.
AngelaCC
Dec 01, 2015 AngelaCC rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable, a history lesson with lots of intrigue, suspense and adventure. Sam Eastland takes you on a great journey of discovery, well written and easily followed, though the Russian names were a little difficult to grasp at times. The book touched on the relationship of Stalin's close advisors, enough to grasp his dictatorship and demands but it was the relationship of Pekkla, his personal detective that the story is derived from and his task of uncovering the mystery of the Red Mot ...more
Claire Tomonaga
Nov 18, 2014 Claire Tomonaga rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this series I have read. They work well as a stand alone read so I am not too bothered that I have missed a couple in between. The story is fast paced and seems very historically accurate. The lead character is well drawn and kept my interest high throughout.
Medeiros
May 16, 2016 Medeiros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn’t Sam Eastland confuse some things about Amber Room? [on the orders of Catherina the Great (1729-1796). It was her son, Peter the Great(1672-1725)] etc.
But I don’t care, I just love Inspector Pekkala.
Rags
Aug 28, 2014 Rags rated it really liked it
Not bad at all. Picked up a copy of the book on a sidewalk sale for 1, wasn't sure what to expect. Turned out to be a nice commute read - paced enough to keep my attention on my way in/out to work daily, but not so gripping as to make me want to miss my stop and keep reading! ...more
Wilde Sky
Jan 24, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it liked it
A painting of a moth is discovered on the body of a SS officer and Stalin orders an investigation.

This was a bit of a disappointment. It’s not bad, but not as good as the others in the series - the plotting and writing was not as sharp / eloquent.
Karen Lowe
Aug 18, 2014 Karen Lowe rated it really liked it
An intriguing read, as always with this series - and a very realistic recreation of how it must have felt to be caught up in a war zone at that time. Pekkala is a terrific character.
Chris Lelliott
read out of sequence but never mind still enjoyed it
Nadine Paque-Wolkow
Aug 19, 2015 Nadine Paque-Wolkow rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5 Stars

Simon
Enjoyable thrilling reading, yes its number 4 in the series but still easy to follow and get into. Weaving historical facts into a story based in Russia of the 1940's - 2WW the backdrop to art theft and the fabled Amber room a prized possession of the Romanovs, once considered to be the eighth wonder of the world - which incidentally following the 2ww went missing and a number of official investigations has not found. Will definitely read the rest of the series.
Elgyn
May 27, 2016 Elgyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Jako každovečerně - navzdory mizernému překladu.
Elizabeth
Jan 17, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Eastland's books just keep getting getter. His subtle references, great characters, and detailed world are highly enjoyable.
Jeff
Sep 06, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
A painting of a red moth is revealed to be a map showing the location of The Amber Room which the Russians have falsely claimed has been removed to a safe place to save it from the advancing German army. The Emerald Eye, Inspector Pekkala, is ordered by Stalin to destroy it before it falls into German hands.

Another enjoyable read - the Inspector is a great character.
Carol
Feb 11, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
Sam Eastland has been one of my favourite authors right from his first book. This fourth book in the Pekkala series is, in my opinion, the best yet. A compelling story, historically based, well written with characters we can really care about or really hate. Every book leaves me wanting more and this one has me almost desperate for the next story.
Ann
Jun 29, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Pekkala series by Sam Eastland --and as enjoyable to read as the first 3 in the series. I am impressed with how well the author blends Russian history, details of Russian life after the revolution and during WWII, and Pekkala's story. Hope the cliff-hanger ending means another book is soon to come.
Marliese
I've really enjoyed the entire series by Sam Eastland.....Finnish detective Pekkala, first served the Czar, not serves Stalin. Eastland's picture of Stalin is rivetting....frightening and at the same time manages to insert moments of insight into this complex, dreadful tyrant.
Boris Feldman
Mar 11, 2013 Boris Feldman rated it really liked it
Fourth of the Inspector Pekkala series, and perhaps the best of the four. Eastland's prose gets better with each volume. Plot is engaging and not predictable. A different side of Stalin.
Vikas Datta
Dec 28, 2013 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it
An enthralling adventure with a cliff-hanger ending... cant wait for the next one
Cletus Lee
May 01, 2016 Cletus Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to search to find a copy in the US. It is essential to read to maintain series continuity. Eastland is starting to 'flesh out' Kirov in a pleasant way.
Gary Brooks
Apr 25, 2016 Gary Brooks rated it really liked it
meticulously researched. well
l constructed who dunnit. concerning the theft and looting of Russian treasures during the siege of Leningrad.
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • A Man Without Breath (Bernard Gunther, #9)
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich, #1)
  • Princes Gate
  • KOP Killer (Juno Mozambe Mystery, #3)
  • Archie Greene and the Magician’s Secret
  • An Honorable German
  • Nemesis  (Marcus Didius Falco, #20)
  • Then We Take Berlin
  • Deep Shelter (Nick Belsey, #2)
  • A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin, #3)
  • One for Sorrow (John the Eunuch, #1)
  • Brandenburg

Inspector Pekkala (7 books)
  • Eye of the Red Tsar (Inspector Pekkala, #1)
  • Shadow Pass (Inspector Pekkala #2)
  • Archive 17 (Inspector Pekkala #3)
  • The Beast in the Red Forest (Inspector Pekkala, #5)
  • Red Icon (Inspector Pekkala,  #6)
  • Berlin Red (Inspector Pekkala, #7)