Start by marking “The Adventures of Grandfather Frog” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Grandfather Frog

The Adventures of Grandfather Frog (The Bedtime Story-Books)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  12 reviews

• Beautiful 187 illustrations are included

• Author's Top Quotes

• Active Table of Contents

• High formatting quality and standards, manually crafted by professionals

His outdoor observations in nature were used as plots for his stories. In his first book, Old Mother West Wind, published in 1910, the reader meets many of the characters found in later books
Published by Kiddy Monster Publication (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Grandfather Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Grandfather Frog

Kids ages when first read: 7 and 5. This was supposed to be the 5yo's school read-aloud, but in the best tradition of homeschooling, the 7yo kept sneaking away from her tasks to listen as well. The last time I tried reading Burgess to them, they were both bored stiff, so I was delighted that this time they both adored it. When I pulled out four more books in the "series," they snatched them out of my hands and settled down happily to peruse them. Definitely going to continue with these for schoo ...more
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned
Jonathan Marshall
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Laura Verret
Chug-arum! All of the forest folks are laughing at him, laughing at the very person that they once revered and sought out for advice. And all because he had tried to swallow a fish that was too big to fit in his mouth!

Well, Grandfather Frog won’t stand for it. No, sirree! And when his cousin, Mr. Toad, comes around bragging his head off about the Great World, well, it seems like a fine opportunity to escape from his critics and take Mr. Toad down a peg or two, as well.

But Grandfather Frog knows
I read this with my children and we all adored reading about Grandfather Frog and his adventures in the Smiling Pool and the Green Meadow! We always enjoy reading about animals and I especially love how there are little learning moments throughout the book. It is a great book to read and then discuss good & bad choices! And I also liked that this is an unabridged version of a true classic tale!
Theresa Stadt
We enjoyed this book, but maybe not enough to read more by this author. It was a little slow on the entertaining scale, but has a really nice theme that stays with me.
My father also read this book to me, and it was another of the earliest I read for myself. It was the second book I could call a favorite. This book also had no paper cover, but a hard sandy-brown cover. All the interior artwork was in blacks and white, but the picture I liked best was like the one shown in this example.
Joe Chiappetta
While this is clearly a book designed to be read to children, I was blown away by all the simple but powerful life lessons wrapped into the plot of our hero: an old, stubborn frog.
We love Thornton Burgess's books for children. They teach simple character building principles in the world of nature.
Great bedtime audiobook. Both boys loved it.
Mar 17, 2009 Kent is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Bedtime stories for Rhino and Ghator ...
Emmett added it
Sep 30, 2015
Laina added it
Sep 26, 2015
Alexa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Bonnie added it
Sep 04, 2015
Tamara added it
Aug 24, 2015
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Anniebelle marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jaime marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • Pagoo
  • The King of the Golden River
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • Raggedy Andy Stories
  • The Little Duke
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • Winter Days in the Big Woods
  • Owls in the Family
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story-Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White
  • The Adventures of Mr. Mocker
  • The Adventures of Old Man Coyote
  • The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad
  • The Adventures of Ol' Mistah Buzzard
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail The Burgess Bird Book for Children Old Mother West Wind The Adventures of Reddy Fox The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad