Start by marking “The Adventures of Grandfather Frog” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Grandfather Frog

The Adventures of Grandfather Frog (The Bedtime Story Books)

• Beautiful 187 illustrations are included

• Author's Top Quotes

• Active Table of Contents

• High formatting quality and standards, manually crafted by professionals

His outdoor observations in nature were used as plots for his stories. In his first book, Old Mother West Wind, published in 1910, the reader meets many of the characters found in later books
Published by Kiddy Monster Publication (first published 1915)

Kids ages when first read: 7 and 5. This was supposed to be the 5yo's school read-aloud, but in the best tradition of homeschooling, the 7yo kept sneaking away from her tasks to listen as well. The last time I tried reading Burgess to them, they were both bored stiff, so I was delighted that this time they both adored it. When I pulled out four more books in the "series," they snatched them out of my hands and settled down happily to peruse them. Definitely going to continue with these for schoo ...more
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned
Jonathan Marshall
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Laura Verret
Chug-arum! All of the forest folks are laughing at him, laughing at the very person that they once revered and sought out for advice. And all because he had tried to swallow a fish that was too big to fit in his mouth!

Well, Grandfather Frog won’t stand for it. No, sirree! And when his cousin, Mr. Toad, comes around bragging his head off about the Great World, well, it seems like a fine opportunity to escape from his critics and take Mr. Toad down a peg or two, as well.

But Grandfather Frog knows
I read this with my children and we all adored reading about Grandfather Frog and his adventures in the Smiling Pool and the Green Meadow! We always enjoy reading about animals and I especially love how there are little learning moments throughout the book. It is a great book to read and then discuss good & bad choices! And I also liked that this is an unabridged version of a true classic tale!
Feb 14, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My father also read this book to me, and it was another of the earliest I read for myself. It was the second book I could call a favorite. This book also had no paper cover, but a hard sandy-brown cover. All the interior artwork was in blacks and white, but the picture I liked best was like the one shown in this example.
Joe Chiappetta
Dec 26, 2010 Joe Chiappetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this is clearly a book designed to be read to children, I was blown away by all the simple but powerful life lessons wrapped into the plot of our hero: an old, stubborn frog.
Nov 03, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
We love Thornton Burgess's books for children. They teach simple character building principles in the world of nature.
Great bedtime audiobook. Both boys loved it.
Mar 17, 2009 Kent is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Bedtime stories for Rhino and Ghator ...
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Claudette marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Katy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Brittnie rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Caleb Williams
Caleb Williams rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Michael rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
rachel rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Michelle Souleret
Michelle Souleret rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Beth rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Jonathan Young
Jonathan Young rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Lynne rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Jul 28, 2016
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • Fifty Famous People
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • Pagoo
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Chester the Worldly Pig
  • Wisdom and the Millers: Proverbs for Children
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • This Country of Ours
  • Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4)
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • The Little Duke
  • The King of the Golden River
  • Julius
  • McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White