Start by marking “Bring Me Back” as Want to Read:
Bring Me Back

Bring Me Back

Music critic Claire Abby is a single mom dreading her daughter’s departure for college and worried that turning forty will leave her career running on fumes. She’s floored when she lands a Rolling Stone cover story on 80s British rock legend Christopher Penman. She spent her teenage years fantasizing he was her boyfriend.

In person, Christopher is everything Claire feared h
Published January 20th 2013 by Turquoise Morning Press (first published January 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bring Me Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring Me Back

Jacqueline
I absolutely loved the whole fantasy comes to life fairy tale premise of this one and this really felt authentic with real life worries and situations cropping up.

Claire is a single parent and a music journalist who gets to date her teenage pop star crush when she's all grown up. She's independent, thoughtful and perceptive, a much more intelligent heroine than I'm used to reading. Chris, her pop star crush is still gorgeous, charming, deliciously manipulative yet pretty cynical after his marria
Tammy Walton Grant
The latest "thing" in contemporary romance seems to be the rock star romance. Most of the time I leave these alone - as fairytale-ish as the story would seem, I think they are pretty hard to pull off without being cartoonish.

What drew me to this story was that the rock star in question was one the heroine had had a super-duper teenage crush on. She interviews him for Rolling Stone magazine 22 years later and they fall in love. Cool! That's a double-whammy fairytale if ever I heard one. So I dow
Louise Bay
Jun 15, 2013 Louise Bay rated it it was amazing
No spoilers

Overall a great beach read.

This is a grown up romance with a more realistic plot line than some other romances. The heroine is older than many in this genre. So all in all less escapist. Having said that the love interest is an international rock star (in my head he was John Taylor but the author's tweeting may have influenced that picture in my head)so not that realistic... but it is a change from the billionaire businessman/19 year old virgin characters we've seen before. I found th
The Book Tart
Jan 19, 2013 The Book Tart rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on The Book Tart http://thebooktart.com/new-fiction-re...

Bring Me Back is brilliant! It’s heart wrenching, funny, sexy and a dream come true for it’s heroine Claire and for the readers who get swept up into the romance and drama of this book. I loved it! And it’s hero Chris….*sigh* I fell in love with him too.

I loved the opening scene. Claire is writing in her journal in 1986 about her crush on Chris Penmen, the guitarist of the British rock band Banks Forest and how much she
Katherine
Mar 09, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing
A truly great book isn't just one that will leave you smiling after you finish reading...a truly great book is one that will leave you thinking. I know I just read a truly great book when I find myself talking about it with my husband after I'm done reading. Bring Me Back was one of those books.

Karen Booth (if your not familiar with her other books) has a talent for writing genuine characters. These are characters that you connect to, and can empathize with their feelings. Claire (the lead femal
Anya Breton
Jan 05, 2013 Anya Breton rated it it was amazing
Bring Me Back is the ultimate contemporary fairy tale.

Music writer Claire gets an once-in-a-lifetime chance to do a cover story with the rock-star prince she obsessed over as a teenage. Chris is the quintessential rocker complete with a past steeped in sex, drugs and a flopped solo album. Who knew he was a sweetheart on top of being hot, famous and rich? And that these two are perfectly suited?

This is well written. I found the pacing fine (someone mentioned it was slow in places), the descripti
Rae
Jan 07, 2013 Rae rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I really loved that the characters were older, more mature. I loved the storyline. Aged rocker falls for Rolling Stone writer. Loved it. It was fantastic. The fact that he was British was even fantastic. Really enjoyed this book. Will definitely read more from this author!
Brandee Price
Mar 02, 2013 Brandee Price rated it really liked it
I'm going to share something with y'all...I was ecstatic to be reading a book where the MCs are my age! :) And, I also had this weird coincidental display of physical mannerisms with Claire - one where I'd do something like pull on my bottom lip or flip my hair behind my shoulder...right before reading that she just did the same thing!

Anyway, this was rather refreshing to read following my last few reads. That's not to say it didn't have its angsty moments. But I delighted in this tale of a wom
Jo Ann
I enjoyed the hell out of this book!! The story is dense with detail, thoughts and emotion. And the prose are first rate - Ms Booth has a unique way of phrase things with just that extra "something" that had me highlighting over and over again.
The story is about a gorgeous rock star falling for a single mom writer - which could have been really schmaltzy - but instead feels so grounded and real. And I found Claire's relationship with her daughter very relatable.
At times it was frustrating to onl
Slick
Mar 15, 2013 Slick rated it it was amazing
I'm wishing for half stars here, this is a 4.5 star review for me because of the ending. It wasn't a bad ending, it just left me feeling unsettled.

I was pretty excited when the author notified me this week I had won this book for visiting a stop on her blog tour. I love winning stuff and to win a book is doubly good but when you read a book that knocks your socks off, it's like the icing on the cake. First off let me tell you what Bring Me Back is and isn't. This is a complicated love story; it'
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Rhayne‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 Stars

Bring Me Back is a romantic modern day fairy tale with an added layer of sexy. This book pulls at your heart strings and plays on your emotions in a way that makes it impossible to quit reading until you get to the conclusion.

Claire is a very independent, strong willed character that is trying to better her career so she can provide a promising future to her daughter. When the opportunity arises to be able to conduct an exclusive inte
Jamie White
Feb 02, 2014 Jamie White rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I got a free copy of this book for review purposes.

As a total music geek and former journalism student, I couldn't resist the opportunity to review this story about a music journalist who gets to interview one of her old favorites. I loved the tone and pace of the story and there were quite a few parts that made me smile.

The thing with me is, I love characters. I love reading how they relate to each other and see them overcome emotional obstacles that stand in the way of getting what the
♥Trish♥
Jan 09, 2013 ♥Trish♥ rated it liked it
Shelves: book-battle, loanable
This is a romance you can see yourself in. Remember the poster in your room when you were a teenager? The one you stared at a million times imagining you were Mrs. ....... then 20+ yrs later you get the chance.
I found myself liking the normalcy of this book. This could happen type of thing.
I don't normally read normal, when I read I go for books that I don't see myself in. This was a nice, sweet book with great characters. I truly enjoyed :) And it brought me back to remembering the posters on
Tracy
Feb 07, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry! I read the last part of the book in tears.... I guess because this story is so real???? Even for a fictional romance, this story was something that could so happen! Loved it!
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
Four Stars

I really, really enjoyed this. Full review to come :)
Cocktails and Books
Claire Abby was a single mom who has finally gotten her big break with Rolling Stone magazine. She was getting a feature interview with none other than Christopher Penman, guitarist for her favorite British rock band Banks Forest. Claire was stuck between jumping up and down as the teenage girl she was getting to meet her crush or celebrating that this could be just what she needs to ensure she can send her teenage daughter to college. When she meets Chris, she finds he's not at all what she had ...more
Valerie Skorup
Dec 28, 2012 Valerie Skorup rated it it was amazing
Be ready to pull an all-nighter as you won’t be able to put this down!

Claire Abby is presented with her inner 17 year old self’s dream, meeting her rock star crush Christopher Penman. She’s given the chance to bolster her music critic career with a cover story for Chris who is notorious for avoiding any personal questions. What she didn’t expect was to end up in a relationship with Chris and all the triumphs and pitfalls that come with his fame. Bring Me Back takes you from Claire and Chris’s in
Blackravens Reviews
Apr 15, 2013 Blackravens Reviews rated it it was amazing
Karen Booth has crafted a compelling story about life, love, and second chances. The thing I loved most about Bring Me Back is that Ms. Booth wasn’t afraid to show the imperfections of every day living and the fact that life and relationships are often complicated and messy. However, it’s how you handle those complications that make all the difference in the world. The sex was smoking hot, yet sensual and will make you tingle in all of the right places. The drama is as good as any Lifetime movie ...more
Carrie
May 23, 2014 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It is rare for me to read books in this genre. The author herself unknowingly persuaded me to do so. She has a love for Duran Duran, her Twitter posts are delightful, hysterical, and articulate. I was sold. I am very glad I was. This is a gem.

I identified with Claire Abby on multiple levels. Karen Booth artfully conveys the teenage mind in the beginning and the struggles of single parenthood, family dynamics, and romantic relationships of adulthood. I laughed- a lot. I cried- a lot.

The characte
Rita
Mar 05, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember when you were younger and you use to daydream of the rock star you had a crush on, and getting a chance to meet him? Well this story will remind you of those days. Claire is a music journalist who is given the opportunity to interview Chris the Rock Star she crushed on when she was a teen. Meeting Chris is a dream come true and a finally a chance for a cover story with Rolling Stone. When they become friends and the attraction grows strong, she must think about how a relationship would ...more
Scandal (Scandalicious Book Reviews)
loved this one kinda' hard...especially since we get to visit on of my favorite places on the planet, Chapel Hill, North Carolina!!

Follow the link to my complete review plus a guest post and a giveaway from Karen Booth! Enjoy friends...

Rhonda
Feb 11, 2013 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
I adored this story, and not just because it's about a rock star. The story has real depth, and I love that the characters have been well-developed. It is a book that is easy to read, Yet I found myself thinking about the more subtle aspects of the novel, such as Claire's relationship with her parents...Christopher's past...etc. loved it!!
Lorelle
Jan 25, 2013 Lorelle rated it really liked it
There was some good quality angst of the last 20% of the story, and of course the more H acts like a jerk, the more I enjoyed it. I really felt heartbroken for Claire when things went south. 3.75 stars.
Talk Supe
Jan 12, 2013 Talk Supe rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Loved this!
Margaret
Jan 05, 2013 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-read
This book took all my teenage fantasies and dunked them in the soup of adult reality. Loved it!
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

I wasn’t drooling… It’s called research.

My mom weighed in on the situation from inside my head, as she was apt to do whenever I was confused. She and I had been exceptionally close when she was alive and somehow our running conversation never ended when she was no longer among the living. She told me to stop being stupid, smile, and eat my lunch. She also thought I should show some leg, but I reminded her that I was wearing pants.

I was wondering how you make everything so perfect
Lori
Jun 14, 2017 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
**I voluntarily received an Advance Reader Copy of this book.**

I absolutely love this story. A review I read said it was bringing fantasy to reality, and I agree. Clair's teenage crush has become her adult love. She is a single mom who has spent her life doing what was best for her daughter. Because of a chance meeting she now has a fantasy romance.

I am so excited to read the next book in this series.
Bewaji
Mar 23, 2017 Bewaji rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot....

Chris is your typical rockstar, now older and wiser. Claire is a single mom trying to make a name for herself as a music journalist. Long story short? The two met and their lives were never the same. What I love about this story is the depth of Chris's feelings for Claire, and her daughter Sam. I really enjoyed this story. Love it.
SunshineGirl
I was pulled in right away with this book. The storyline & characters are great. At first, I didn't want to put the book down but life took over so it took longer to finish than it should have for me.

Both main characters are older (seasoned romance). Claire & Chris are two characters you love from the beginning and can easily relate to Claire and her daughter, Sam. A great build up to the romance, your traditional twists & heartache but a HEA in the end.
Ivyd
Feb 23, 2013 Ivyd rated it really liked it
Claire Abbey is a thirty-nine year old single mom. She’s also a writer and music critic who’s just gotten the opportunity to interview her teenage rock star crush, Christopher Penman. If she can get a real interview out of Chris she can land the cover of Rolling Stone, quite a coup and much needed jolt for her career. Claire has chosen to raise her daughter in Chapel Hill, NC instead of New York or LA. With college looming on the horizon she needs all the help she can get.
Will Claire be able to
  • Six Naughty Nights (Love in Reverse, #2)
  • Rock Star (Groupie, #2)
  • Melting the Millionaire's Heart
  • Everybody Falls (Wynter's Vicious, #1)
  • Heart of Glass
  • Tracks (Rock Bottom, #1)
  • An Unexpected Bride
  • Succubus Lost (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #2)
  • Marry Me
  • Shattered Witness
  • Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies
  • Caught Offside (1Night Stand, #75)
  • Stowaway
  • Cold as Ice (Buffalo Intimidators, #2)
  • Something So Right
  • Gentlemen Prefer Nerds
  • Kiss and Make Up
  • All I Want is You
Karen Booth is a Midwestern girl transplanted in the South, raised on 80s music, Judy Blume, and the films of John Hughes. She writes steamy contemporaries--big city love stories and rock star romances. When she isn't creating fictional hunky men, she's listening to music with her kids, honing her Southern cooking skills or sweet-talking her astoundingly supportive husband into whipping up a batch ...more
More about Karen Booth...

“Showing some guy your boobs is never the way to go.” I knew the opposite to be true, that you could get almost anything you wanted if you were willing to take off your bra.” 0 likes
“Everything I’d ever thought or read or seen of Christopher Penman brewed a frothy chaos in my head.” 0 likes