Start by marking “Manless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive Dating” as Want to Read:
Manless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive Dating

Manless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive Dating

Being short with big boobs means living life off-balance. Isabel knows this all too well; at five-feet-nothing with a tendency to tip over in heels, she’s struggled for twenty-five years to make clothes, careers, and boyfriends fit.
Enter Michael. Divorced father, recovering alcoholic, and fifteen years her senior—he was the last guy she thought would make the cut. But when he
Kindle Edition
Published December 3rd 2012 (first published November 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Manless in Montclair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manless in Montclair

Jenifer
Oct 30, 2010 Jenifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What married woman hasn't contemplated the 'what if' question of losing your spouse in an unexpected death? So far my plan includes the people I would call first to drown with me in my tears and then I vacillate between whether I'd take a very strong tranquilizer or take my first dip into a very strong drink. After that? I don't want to think about after that . . .

In this story, Isabell faces just such a scenario as her husband Michael suddenly dies. Written with a sweetness, wittiness and sarca
Wendy
Dec 01, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Moments of humor, distracting narrative style, somewhat lacking in coherence or continuity. Cutesy, light read in the chick lit genre. My laugh out loud moment was one I don't dare quote, but it concerned a reason for divorce involving pink poodle costumes. Priceless.
Linda
Feb 06, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is better than I expected, a cute thoughtful book, not too deep, but still not your usual romance.
Karen
Jan 09, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Fictionalized memoir. Not sure why the overall rating is less than 3 stars on GR, but I really enjoyed it!
Ricia
Mar 17, 2009 Ricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual book genre, but I had to read it because it takes place in my hometown. Turns out, it was kinda cute. Fluffy, but likeable.
Kathy Davie
Okay. Lots of self-reflection in the suburbs with a great support group.
Leslie
Apr 24, 2009 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light read; predictable but enjoyable.
Yvonne
Aug 30, 2016 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
When I read a Chick lit I expect only enough realism to keep the plot from flying away and fewer innuendos then it takes to make me gag. It’s a fluffy read that I expect to enjoy for the moment alone so that I can then move on. Manless in Montclair fulfilled all of these requirements except for the gag one, but I’m pretty sure that was because my mom had Big Bang Theory playing in the background during one of the more heavy laden parts.

On average I give a Chick Lit about four stars, which is wh
Pragya
Jan 09, 2013 Pragya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: own-kindle, 4-stars, 2013
I'll be frank here, as always. The first thing that came to my mind was 'what's up with the cover?' but then I moved on to the reading part (thankfully) and after that the cover didn't matter. Yes, really.

I didn't pay heed to the title or the blurb (which I always make a point not to read). So going in there blindly, I read some and then some more and formed an opinion 'oh, so this is how the book will proceed', only to read a few more pages and see it turning out in the opposite direction. This
Valerie
Jul 20, 2013 Valerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
The Kindle version was cheap on Amazon, and it had decent reviews, so I ordered it. If I could, I'd give it 2 1/2 stars.

I'm really glad I had this on my Kindle because: 1) I hate the title of the book and 2) would you look at that cover? Terrible! I'd be so embarrassed to be carrying that around in public.

Anyway, the story is about Isabel who is in her early forties when her husband Michael suddenly passes away. After Michael dies, Isabel tries to get back on her feet, and after a request from
Ruth
Jan 31, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Isabel's friend thinks she should ask the cute guy in the deli out for coffee. A man who works in a deli was not exactly what she was aspiring to but she invited him anyway. On their coffee date she discovers that he is 15 years older than her, is divorced with two kids, and is a recovering alcoholic. She is certainly all that she doesn't need and yet they fall for each other. They lead a relatively happy life and have two children but then Michael suddenly dies leaving Isabel to find her way ...more
Ann
Jan 23, 2015 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a pretty run-of-the-mill story of a young woman who tries to figure out her life, finds love, has two children, becomes a widow at age 42, needs time to recover from her loss, tries various dating techniques, and of course finds love again.

The author clearly strives for sex-in-the-city type hipness, but can't quite pull it off. The writing is bland, and even the most emotionally charged moments fall flat. Much of the story is stereotypical : young woman trying to make it in the city, th
Stephanie Haefner
This book was okay. I liked the beginning where it flipped back and forth between present day and flash backs to how she and her husband met, fell in love, had kids, ect..... What I didn't like was how she reacted to her husbands death......It seemed she hardly grieved, aside from one scene where she breaks down. I guess everyone grieves in their own way, but he had barely been dead and she was already thinking about how she needed a new husband.
Gail Kushner
Mar 01, 2014 Gail Kushner rated it liked it
This book was okay. There were several good laughs. However, there were a few inconsistencies in the story which threw off my reading. I had to re-read parts to make sure that it was the story, not me. I found that distracting. I also think that the ending, which could have wrapped things up well, was rushed.
Emma Stoianis
Oct 06, 2013 Emma Stoianis rated it it was ok
Caroline
Sep 10, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
Very well written - especially the first few chapters where two storylines were concurrently told. I had some trouble connecting to a character who was desperate to get married but it was a fast, enjoyable read with an entire cast of fleshed out characters.
Lynn
Jan 13, 2013 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Being single I could relate to Isabel's feelings of being lonely and wanting someone in her life on the one hand and then seeing that being single is not necessarily being alone.
Melissa
I got this book based on the "Montclair," our neighboring town in New Jersey. I assumed it was a true story (a middle-aged woman, suddenly widowed, tries to find a new man) and maybe it is, but for whatever reason she decided to fictioalize it. Lame.
Patty
Sep 09, 2008 Patty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
She should have written this as a memoir, if this is her story. The most important part of the book took up a whole 20 pages, and there were 100 pages devoted to crap absolutely meaningless to the story. I didn't hate it, but I would not read it again.
Jess
Jan 28, 2008 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this ... really nice little book, good narrative, interesting, and it takes place in montclair, (kind of) so i couldn't resist, but all in all a book that ends using the word naches, can't be too bad, right?
Nancy Bergman
Jan 20, 2013 Nancy Bergman rated it liked it
Chick lit lite. But it kept my interest, moved right along. The fact that the story was set in Montclair, a couple of towns away from my hometown in northern NJ helped. The author lives there and so there is the right Jersey vibe.
Marianne Brodman
Nov 12, 2014 Marianne Brodman rated it really liked it
Should have been called "Manless in Suburbia." I read it strictly b/c the title had it set in my hometown. There were approximately 3 references to area venues. That would have been the whole fun of the read. Will pass on to my former classmates just bc.
Alexa
Feb 08, 2008 Alexa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lightreading
Written as a novel, reads like a memoir since it's based on true experiences. Supposedly set in my hometown by a hometown author, with Montclair in the title, I was hoping the book was more setting driven.
Lesley
Dec 31, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-tbr
Was pleasantly surprised by this book. Has it for awhile and kinda bummed I waited so long to start it. Sweet and fun approach to finding love after loss.
Lynn
Feb 15, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
A book of losing a loved one, thinking you can't go on and when you aren't looking finding love again. And discovering how important family and friends are.
Hillary
Mar 28, 2010 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Seems like a lot of people dis this book as chick lit or somehow unfocused or not meaningful, but honestly it really spoke to me.
Kristy
I was sort of disappointed in this book. Its inconceivable to me how someone can go looking for a new husband so shortly after losing one. It just turned me off.
Barb
Barb rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2009
Kaposch
Kaposch rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mr Right and Other Mongrels
  • Cancelled (The Red Ink Collection, #1)
  • Ruby Lake
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • The Love Market
  • The Contessa's Vendetta
  • The Tea-Olive Bird Watching Society
  • A Moment In Time
  • The Fortune Quilt
  • Spirited Away (Spirited Away, #1)
  • Sexy Babe
  • Absence of Grace
  • Ransom Dreams
  • Delusions of Grandeur
  • Under a Harvest Moon
  • A Night of Horrors:  A Historical Thriller on the 24 Hours Of Lincoln's Assassination
  • Secret Vow
Amy Holman Edelman moved to New York after college to become a clothing designer. After failing miserably, she fell into a career as a publicist and started her own company six months before her first child was born. She is the author of The Little Black Dress, which explores how the little black dress influenced contemporary fashion, art, literature, and film. In 2001 her husband of 12 years died ...more
More about Amy Holman Edelman...