Start by marking “Identity (Eyes Wide Open, #1)” as Want to Read:
Identity (Eyes Wide Open, #1)

Identity (Eyes Wide Open #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,572 Ratings  ·  430 Reviews
Identity is Book 1 of a four episode thrill ride from New York Times bestselling author Ted Dekker.

Who am I?

My name is Christy Snow. I'm seventeen and I'm about to die.

I'm buried in a coffin under tons of concrete. No one knows where I am. My heart sounds like a monster with clobber feet, running straight toward me. I'm lying on my back, soaked with sweat from the hair o
Published December 28th 2012 by Outlaw Studios (first published December 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Identity, please sign up.

Softkitty no "eyes wide open" is the name of the book series. "Identity" is the first book in the series.
Black by Ted DekkerRed by Ted DekkerWhite by Ted DekkerThr3e by Ted DekkerHouse by Frank E. Peretti
Ted Dekker Books
35th out of 55 books — 129 voters
Captured by Erica StevensKindred by Erica StevensPrince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenTalented by Sophie  Davis
Free kindle books
152nd out of 182 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

DNF at 6%.

Strike One: It's by Ted Dekker, whose previous entries didn't inspire me.

Strike Two:

"She pulled on a pair of jeans, slipped into a red blouse, pulled her hair into a ponytail, and forgave herself for avoiding any makeup before heading out.

No one to impress; she was searching for her locket, not a man."

Strike Three:

"She wasn't in the best of shape, maybe even fat if ten pounds too much was the rule of men. And it was; so, yes, she was plain fat and she secretly hated every
Catrina Bradley
Dec 30, 2012 Catrina Bradley rated it it was amazing
Just eight Kindle "pages" into Identity, I had connected with the characters and was anxious to keep reading. Now, after finishing the last page, I'm chomping at the bit for more. If Dekker maintains this pace, his new, four-part Eyes Wide Open may be one of his best novels yet.
J.S. Bailey
Dec 28, 2012 J.S. Bailey rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm the first person to review this on here?

This is Dekker at his finest. Wrongful admission to a psych ward? A sinister plot against patients? People wondering if they might really be nuts? You'll find it all in here, kids. Enjoy.
Michael
Dec 31, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Identity is a quick read, part one of a novel called Eyes Wide Open. The idea is to release the book in four parts, Identity (Released Dec 26th on Amazon. Part II is "Mirrors" released 12/31, "Unseen" to be released 01/7/12, and "Seer" to be released 01/14/2012.

There is some speculation that "Eyes Wide Open" will be a series called "The Outlaw Chronicles".

As for "Identity", the story begins with Austin and Christy, two young people in something of a semi-romantic relationship. Austin and Chris
Steven
Aug 13, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Ted Dekker is at it again -- this time in a "tv episode inspired" foray into shorter, faster-released stories that make up one book.

He's created a world for us to jump into again, in typical Dekker form, and he's done it in shorter time than ever before!

This time, he's introduced us to two orphans, Christy and Austin, and their intruiging relationship... and then thrust us into an almost-horror flick story.

I'll do everyone a favor, especially since this first book is short, and not reveal detail
Angela Bycroft
Jan 02, 2013 Angela Bycroft rated it it was amazing
If a book could be as close as possible to an episode of high octane television, this would be it. Ted Dekker launches a new approach to publishing with four titles released on consequitive Mondays afterwhich a final full version of the book will be released.

So this being only the first of those four installments, it really is only a opening introducation to the story as a whole. That being said, it's a amazing intro at that.

Christy Snow (well that's who she starts the story believing she is - b
Melissa Levine
Jul 26, 2015 Melissa Levine rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I'm not really sure about this one. It was an interesting read but it's like once something really started happening, the book ends. I understand there's 3 other books with this series but still.

A few things...questions/comments I have are:

1. When Austin's doctor office calls him about the results to his MRI scan, why would the doctor either not be able to tell him the results over the phone or give him more/sooner chances of coming to the office? It's like the lady tells him- either you come i
Jenai Goss
Feb 02, 2013 Jenai Goss rated it it was ok
The plot was suspensful and engaging, if very unbelievable. {The odds of the events occuring in modern day are very low; medical records are fairly thorough, blood tests hard to fake, and the number of doctors involved with any patients medical history (especially ones with the conglomorate of haphazard symptoms he forced onto his characters) make it easy to establish a patient with a phone call or a blood test. There were a lot of misunderstandings about mental disorders and admission processes ...more
Andrea
Jan 16, 2013 Andrea rated it did not like it
Wait? That's it? I know I should look but I thought this was a full book. It's 54pages. It's an exerpt is what it is. It's not even a short story bc it doesn't even finish.

Lame.

I'm re reviewing this to include the entire series. I feel I owe it to people.
Book 1: the storyline was decent. I was excited to see where it was headed.
Book 2: WHERE is this going? It's a nail biter.
Book 3: OMG this is dragging on forever, just tell us already.
Book 4: are you serious. THAT is what it's about? Possi
Denisse
Jul 31, 2015 Denisse rated it really liked it
DAMN THAT WAS CRAZY GOOD!
Holly shit seriously, Dekker just did it again, he and his amazing stories. I can't get enough.
Thrilled and fascinating, with only 50 pages.

Empieza con mucho misterio, ya sabes, el clásico "que onda con este tipo, esta haciendo cosas ilegales" y termina con algo que simplemente no ves venir.

Excelente comienzo, no puedo esperar a leer los otros, que son igual de cortos. Ademas ese final me dejo con mi cara de WHAT.JUST.HAPPENED?

Admiro la sencilla pregunta encerrada den
Ivan Amberlake
Jan 29, 2014 Ivan Amberlake rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I expected much, much more from the story. The blurb was gripping, and the book turned out to be just good, most of it predictable. I didn't mind it as it was a free book anyway.

3.5 stars.
Greg Dill
Sep 18, 2015 Greg Dill rated it it was amazing
It's always a hit or miss for me when it comes to Ted Dekker books. Some are riveting while others I have found to be rather boring. And, this one falls into the former. Although I felt at times it dragged on, this was a good book full of mystery and intrigue. A modern illustration about understanding who we are in Christ. It involves shedding the old ways of how we view ourselves and the delusional world we create, and seeing ourselves in a new light, liberating ourselves from the dark world we ...more
Jason Brannon
Jan 11, 2013 Jason Brannon rated it it was amazing
Great first entry in the Eyes Wide Open Series. Two friends are held against their will inside a psychiatric hospital by a doctor who is hiding something the outside world isn't supposed to see. Although Identity was relatively short, there is enough of a hook there to motivate me to find out what happens in later volumes. Somehow, based on what I've read, I suspect there is much more to the doctor, the two friends, and the hospital than meets the eye.
Daniella Murillo
Jan 03, 2013 Daniella Murillo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I NEED MIRRORS RIGHT NOW.
Holy... holy crap. Dekker has done it again. I was in page 8 and I already felt connected with Christy. And now he got me completely into this new book in only 50-something pages. So many questions. So many mysteries.
Sarita
This is my first ever book from Ted Dekker. The book was intriguing and had unexpected twists and turns and kept me turning the page. The events played with my mind, what if...

Looking forward to the next episode!
Flora Smith
Mar 22, 2013 Flora Smith rated it liked it
I got this book as a free kindle read and I have some mixed feelings about this book so I might stretch this up to 3.5 stars. It was definitely entertaining. I thought it was a quick read and a definite page turner. I kept wanting to know what was happening next. And its a cliff hanger being the first of four short books in a series.

Christy and Austin have a semi-romantic relationship and they have been spending time in an old storage room of a hospital. Christy goes in search of a missing locke
Cynthia
Jan 29, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense-mystery
This is my second Ted Dekker read. I read Kiss several years back and really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Identity, the first part of a 4 part series.

What I really like about this book (and the same is true for Kiss) is Dekker really knows how to project the feelings of his characters to the reader. I found it easy to get sucked in to Christy's fear, excitement, and confusion. What I found to be even better is I'm not sure at this point if Christy and her friend, Austin, are really crazy or if th
Adam Collings
Jan 05, 2013 Adam Collings rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book sucked me in and wouldn't let me go. Identity started with a killer hook. The protagonist is trapped underground with no way out. Death is inevitable. Things go downhill from there.

This novella is the pilot episode in a series of four that will make up a 'season'. Ted Dekker has drawn on his favourite TV dramas to create a thrilling episodic story.

The set of circumstances that lead the the two main characters ending up in a world of trouble are unlikely yet completely believable.
Matt Mancini
Jan 01, 2013 Matt Mancini rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed Dekker's books for a quick, entertaining, and thought provoking read. This one is the first release in a serial novel ala Stephen King's "The Green Mile." Dekker offered this first installment free to his fans with the hope of enticing them to purchase the remaining three books, to be released over the following three Mondays.

...it worked.

I really enjoyed it. It's fast-paced, intriguing, and appropriately cliff-hanger-ish. I have a lot of questions and I'm looking forward to
Phillip Lemons
Feb 01, 2013 Phillip Lemons rated it really liked it
I'm not sold on a book being released in episodes, but if one is patient, the entire book, Eyes Wide Open, came out only about a month or so after the initial episode. This was a bit of a slow start for me. I like that Dekker has broken his mold for a male protagonist. This time he isn't a totally just run in, guns blazing kind of guy. Really this book is the setup for the rest of the story, so there isn't much to like or dislike beyond the style or pacing, however, I do enjoy Dekker's writing s ...more
Melissa
Mar 20, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
After all of the hype on Facebook, I was excited to start reading this. Sadly, I was a bit disappointed. The writing felt amateur rather than the expertly crafted story I've come to expect from Ted Dekker. As has happened with a few of Dekker's more recent novels, this book made me feel as if Dekker has sold out. The writing feels forced and as if he is pandering to the masses rather than writing for his loyal readers who fell in love with his writing after reading such novels as "Thr3e", "Blink ...more
Madison Boboltz
Jun 10, 2016 Madison Boboltz rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Kept me entertained during my breaks at work but I'm not sure if the ebook sequel is worth $2.99
Sandy
Apr 18, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it
I got home from school one day and picked up my ipod. I did some brain dead things - looking at facebook, played fruit ninja, etc. Then I felt like reading. Only it was one of those moments that I was too lazy and exhausted to get up and get one of my books from the other room. So I started playing around with the books I had downloaded on it. I decided to just start reading this short book since I didn't want to dedicate too much time to beginning another book. All of a sudden I was done.

It was
Robert Brents
Mar 06, 2014 Robert Brents rated it did not like it
I really don't like writing negative reviews of a book, but to this one I couldn't just give a pass. I got all four of these "books" (they're so short they're more like longish short stories) in one volume. Once I began reading I _had_ to finish them in one sitting so I could shred, burn, & throw them away as soon as possible. (Not really - it was a library book.) This story starts out as one of many peoples' worst nightmares: being locked up in a psych ward because of a mistaken identity wi ...more
Dayle Lynne
Feb 12, 2014 Dayle Lynne rated it did not like it
I know a lot of people complain about how some authors are breaking up their work into smaller bits to sell them off individually and make more money. As long as that’s clear before I spend any money, I don’t mind it . . . and if the first book is free, I actually like the idea because it gives me a chance to see if it’s worth spending money on the rest of the book. In the case of Identity, I decided it’s not.

Identity is book 1 of a 4 part series titled Eyes Wide Open (you can buy the subsequent
Hayley.kb
Apr 15, 2015 Hayley.kb is currently reading it
It's too early to tell, considering I'm only nine pages in, but this book is honestly really interesting. Immediately at the beginning I was thrown into a world of mystery and confusion. Not much of a back story at all, it just jumped right in. I'm not complaining though, it was done in a way where I didn't stop myself and try to figure out what was happening, but I just went with it and continued reading. “My heart sounds like a monster with clobber feet, running straight toward me." This was t ...more
CatherineMorland
What the heck? This is not a book. This is a teaser. Just when it got good, it's all, "Stay tuned for the next book!" It did not answer any of the questions -_- I HATE when authors do that! A book should have a beginning, middle, and END.

OK, OK, I'm done ranting.

All of that said, excellent writing and it kept my attention. I'm really curious what happened so I'm tempted to buy the next book. But maybe I won't as protest against AUTHORS WHO DON'T USE ENDINGS!
Kathie
Dec 31, 2012 Kathie rated it liked it
Not sure how I feel. This is the first Ted Decker I've read. I have several friends who love his book, so I took advantage of this freebie to see what he's about, as I respect their opinions.

This is part 1 of a 4-part novella. I will have to read part 2, at least, and will probably read all 4, since I won't be able to stand not knowing what happens at the end. But I don't know whether I'll end up a Ted Decker fan or not. We'll have to see.
Lou
Reseña en español

And Ted Dekker did it again... reach readers in a personal and profound.
"Who am I?" is a question we've all done it at some point in our lives and this book gives a very good perspective of it. I hope to buy the whole book "Eyes wide open" and complete the story, because until now, I loved Christy' story.
Paige Turner
Mar 10, 2015 Paige Turner rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews here: https://paigeturnerreads.wordpress.com/

I wasn’t sure what I had expected from reading the synopsis (which I didn’t remember by the time I opened up this book), but it wasn’t this. I was completely engrossed in what was going to happen next, to the point where class had started ten minutes ago and I was accidentally ignoring a classmate who was trying to hand me the attendance sheet.

This episode was intense and if there was a line between a tiny bit scared and really
  • Thirst
  • Wick (Wick, #1)
  • Rearview (7 Hours #1)
  • They Shall See God
  • The Influence
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • Relentless (Dominion, #1)
  • Otherworld
  • Back on Murder (A Roland March Mystery, #1)
  • Secrets (The Michelli Family Series #1)
  • The 13th Tribe
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • Ismeni: Prelude to The Legend of Sheba
  • Through the Fire
  • Covert Reich
  • Never Let You Go
  • The Most Important Thing Happening
  • Two Crosses (Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #1)
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...

Eyes Wide Open (4 books)
  • Mirrors (Eyes Wide Open, #2)
  • Unseen (Eyes Wide Open, #3)
  • Seer (Eyes Wide Open, #4)

“Austin cleared his throat. Given the choice between being with books or people, he'd always choose books. You could always tell what a book thought without needing to have a confrontation. People, on the other hand, defensively clung to their need to be right no matter how flawed their thinking.” 9 likes
“The only barrier to apprehending the truth is our own unwillingness to see the world as it is instead of how we prefer it to be.” 6 likes