Start by marking “Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World” as Want to Read:
Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World

Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  17 reviews
What does it mean to be a disciple of Christ today? And are Christians really prepared for the answers? In Mere Discipleship, Lee Camp sets forth his vision of what it means to truly follow Christ, challenging Christians to put obedience to Jesus as Lord ahead of allegiances to all earthly authorities-be they nationalistic, political, economic, or cultural. Camp clearly la ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Brazos Press

To ask other readers questions about Mere Discipleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Discipleship

Rebecca
it's lee camp.
you can either read this book or take 5 classes from the man.
Tom
Sometimes you read a good book and walk away. Other times you read a great book, but because of life..it just doesn’t get the opportunity to sink in. Yet there are times when you read a great book at the right time and feel refreshed, awakened, challenged and motivated to change some things in your life. This was one of those books and one of those times for me.

Professor Camp has written a deeply challenging book entitled Mere Discipleship. The book is broken up into 3 parts. Reenvisioning Disci
Robyn Goodwin
Helpful for US Evangelical Christians who are prepared to ask serious questions of their faith. Those exploring Christianity (without an evangelical background) will find it interesting, but not pitched to appeal to them.
Christians who are already socially and politically engaged will likely find this book shallow, unsurprising, and a little onerous.
Doug
I've been trying to find a treatment of "the way of the cross" that works across denominational traditions, especially something that might help conservative Reformed types. This one is very good, but it will still spook those in my circles, less than others, though. The middle part of this book, Part 2, is the strongest and most recommended. Camp gets so many things right. Of course, I part ways with him in his rejection of infant baptism, but he even says some interesting things there. There's ...more
Carl A
Very good challenging book. If you think you've got it all figured out, read this book and you will probably realize you don't.
Snorkle
We used this book in my senior bible class for discussions and class-related material. It had some interesting points about christianity and I thought it did a good job of touching on relevant subjects and issues. I really enjoyed the class and thought the discussions and presentations provided a firm sounding-board to voice our opinions and argue what we believed. It also opened my mind to a couple of different viewpoints that I hadn't considered before. I'd probably recommend this book.

*Taken
Jill
I thought the author made some good points about the intended transformative nature of Christianity. I especially liked the look at the "Constantinian cataract" and the idea of the Lord's Supper being representative of community and sharing. However, the writing is extremely repetitive. Not in a good, reemphasizing-a-previous-point kind of way. In an I've-already-read-almost-that-exact-samesentence-three-times-this-chatper kind of way.
Nathan
Mere Discipleship has the potential to completely change how you understand Christianity and what it means to be Christian. Camp offers solid rationale in rethinking the Gospel, Jesus, and discipleship. It is a must-read for any thinking Christian, especially those in the South.
Raborn
LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! If you want to read the Politics of Jesus by John Howard Yoder but feel intimidated, this book is for you! Camp studied under Yoder and seems to really make Yoder's thoughts accessible to everyone.
Gwyneth
Another book read for our Faith and Action class. Delves in to being a Christian as your primary identity, before your nationality. Strong thoughts on pacifism which provided some interesting discussions.
Oscar Hicks
As a Historian, I cannot abide by any author who seeks to quote historical assumption as Historical fact. Such poorly researched material dilutes the over all worth of this message.
Eric
I can't believe that I haven't added this to my Read list before. It was by far the best book I read in I think 2004. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Naomi
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if it weren't so repetitive and full of fluff, but he made some good points... when he wasn't being redundant.
Jansen
A nice challenge to belief versus action, but I had problems agreeing that his view would solve the problems he brought up.
Maria
I was quite enlightened by this book. CS Lewis had a brilliant mind.
Charlesia
May 30, 2010 Charlesia marked it as to-read
230.97 Camp
Desmond Teo
Desmond Teo marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Joe
Joe added it
Jan 22, 2015
Megan Elizabeth
Megan Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Aster
Aster marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • I Am a Follower: The Way, Truth, and Life of Following Jesus
  • One Life: Jesus Calls, We Follow
  • Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
  • The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • The Subversion of Christianity
  • Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire
  • Jesus in the Margins: Finding God in the Places We Ignore
  • Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures
  • Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living
  • Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living
Who Is My Enemy?: Questions American Christians Must Face about Islam--And Themselves Moment of Clarity Moment Of Clarity Neither Sophisticated Nor Intelligent The Bigfib Book of Bollocks - The Best Satire from Bigfib.com 2005

“Jesus of Nazareth always comes asking disciples to follow him--not merely "accept him," not merely "believe in him," not merely "worship him," but to follow him: one either follows Christ, or one does not. There is no compartmentalization of the faith, no realm, no sphere, no business, no politic in which the lordship of Christ will be excluded. We either make him Lord of all lords, or we deny him as Lord of any.” 7 likes