Start by marking “Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World” as Want to Read:
Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World

Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What does it mean to be a disciple of Christ today? And are Christians really prepared for the answers? In Mere Discipleship, Lee Camp sets forth his vision of what it means to truly follow Christ, challenging Christians to put obedience to Jesus as Lord ahead of allegiances to all earthly authorities-be they nationalistic, political, economic, or cultural. Camp clearly la...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Brazos Press

To ask other readers questions about Mere Discipleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Discipleship

Rebecca
it's lee camp.
you can either read this book or take 5 classes from the man.
Tom
Sometimes you read a good book and walk away. Other times you read a great book, but because of life..it just doesn’t get the opportunity to sink in. Yet there are times when you read a great book at the right time and feel refreshed, awakened, challenged and motivated to change some things in your life. This was one of those books and one of those times for me.

Professor Camp has written a deeply challenging book entitled Mere Discipleship. The book is broken up into 3 parts. Reenvisioning Disci...more
Doug
I've been trying to find a treatment of "the way of the cross" that works across denominational traditions, especially something that might help conservative Reformed types. This one is very good, but it will still spook those in my circles, less than others, though. The middle part of this book, Part 2, is the strongest and most recommended. Camp gets so many things right. Of course, I part ways with him in his rejection of infant baptism, but he even says some interesting things there. There's...more
Snorkle
We used this book in my senior bible class for discussions and class-related material. It had some interesting points about christianity and I thought it did a good job of touching on relevant subjects and issues. I really enjoyed the class and thought the discussions and presentations provided a firm sounding-board to voice our opinions and argue what we believed. It also opened my mind to a couple of different viewpoints that I hadn't considered before. I'd probably recommend this book.

*Taken...more
Jill
I thought the author made some good points about the intended transformative nature of Christianity. I especially liked the look at the "Constantinian cataract" and the idea of the Lord's Supper being representative of community and sharing. However, the writing is extremely repetitive. Not in a good, reemphasizing-a-previous-point kind of way. In an I've-already-read-almost-that-exact-samesentence-three-times-this-chatper kind of way.
Nathan
Mere Discipleship has the potential to completely change how you understand Christianity and what it means to be Christian. Camp offers solid rationale in rethinking the Gospel, Jesus, and discipleship. It is a must-read for any thinking Christian, especially those in the South.
Raborn
LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! If you want to read the Politics of Jesus by John Howard Yoder but feel intimidated, this book is for you! Camp studied under Yoder and seems to really make Yoder's thoughts accessible to everyone.
Gwyneth
Another book read for our Faith and Action class. Delves in to being a Christian as your primary identity, before your nationality. Strong thoughts on pacifism which provided some interesting discussions.
Oscar Hicks
As a Historian, I cannot abide by any author who seeks to quote historical assumption as Historical fact. Such poorly researched material dilutes the over all worth of this message.
Eric
I can't believe that I haven't added this to my Read list before. It was by far the best book I read in I think 2004. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Naomi
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if it weren't so repetitive and full of fluff, but he made some good points... when he wasn't being redundant.
Jansen
A nice challenge to belief versus action, but I had problems agreeing that his view would solve the problems he brought up.
Maria
I was quite enlightened by this book. CS Lewis had a brilliant mind.
Charlesia
May 30, 2010 Charlesia marked it as to-read
230.97 Camp
Scott Burns
Scott Burns marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Matt Moran
Matt Moran marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Matt Brown
Matt Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Brian Allen
Brian Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Mariah
Mariah is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Danny Huizinga
Danny Huizinga marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Who Is My Enemy?: Questions American Christians Must Face about Islam--And Themselves Moment of Clarity Moment Of Clarity Neither Sophisticated Nor Intelligent The Bigfib Book of Bollocks - The Best Satire from Bigfib.com 2005

“Jesus of Nazareth always comes asking disciples to follow him--not merely "accept him," not merely "believe in him," not merely "worship him," but to follow him: one either follows Christ, or one does not. There is no compartmentalization of the faith, no realm, no sphere, no business, no politic in which the lordship of Christ will be excluded. We either make him Lord of all lords, or we deny him as Lord of any.” 7 likes