Start by marking “Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)

Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk #1.5)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,689 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
In the steam-fuelled world of Victorian London, vampires, werewolves and slasher gangs stalk the night and a man made partly of metal is about to discover just how far he'll go to protect the woman he loves…

After a vicious vampire attack left him struggling to leash the dark urges of the craving virus, John "Rip" Doolan thinks he's finally starting to master the darkness w
Published April 5th 2013 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Tarnished Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarnished Knight

Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
26th out of 286 books — 827 voters
Among the Shrouded by Amalie JahnClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareClockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
Great Unknown Paranormal Reds
11th out of 117 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanita
Apr 14, 2016 Joanita rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, gr2016
“If you don’t want it, blink. If you do, squeeze me fingers. But know that this’ll devastate Esme.”

It’s been six months since John “Rip” Doolan made the decision to be changed into a blue blood instead of dying from a fatal vampire attack. He never wanted to be a blue blood, but for Esme he would do anything. He’s been struggling to overcome the craving virus, but finally he feels more in control. Except when it comes to Esme, his closest friend, and the one woman he wants above all else but

Aug 25, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Tarnished Knight is a novella that was originally offered as a free read on Bec McMaster's website but that has since been released as an ebook including an additional prequel story for the 2nd book Heart of Iron. This story is set approximately six months after the ending of Kiss of Steel and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the series before you move on to book 2.

I really liked both Rip and Esme when we were introduced to them in the first book, they are both incredibly loyal members of
Susan (susayq ~)
I am in love with this world! I can't wait to get somewhere that my kindle picks up wifi to get the next book lol

Rip was such a tortured hero - my favorite kind :) Rip and Esme had huge communication problems. Thankfully, Blade meddled and helped them get it straight :)

The few chapters at the end about Lena and Will were wonderful! And as I said at the beginning of the review, I can't wait for the next book which is theirs :)
NiteReader
A special little treat!!
I love the steampunk "Whitechapel" world Ms McMaster has created in this series. In this book we get a peek into the love story of Rip and Esme. They fit so perfectly together; they really have that spark! The reason I knocked off a star is because their story is too short! (That seems to be my biggest complaint with most novellas!)
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I really enjoyed this novella. After meeting Rip and Esme in book 1, it was so nice to read more about them and more about the steampunk world that McMaster has created. I am really enjoying this new author.
Melindeeloo
So far this is available for free on the authors website... Tarnished Knight falls sixth months after the first book in McMaster's London Steampunk series (Kiss of Steel), there are enough hints about the 'world' here that Tarnished Knight probably could be read without reading the first book, but it is more fun if you have since there are references to what has gone before, plus Kiss of Steel is worth reading as well.

I really liked this novella, it was originally serialized with one chapter a
Arie ☂
4.5 stars. I would like to rename this 'Misunderstandings and Mechanical Arms'. This was a fabulous little christmas tale that gives you insight into more than just Esme and Rip's dance around each other. I wish this novella was longer, but I'm absolutely salivating for Will's story now. Love, love, LOVE.
Iliada

It's not a secret I'm not a fan of novellas, but as far as novellas go, this was pretty good. I loved the theme of this little book and I just wish it was longer. Oh well...

As a bonus there's a little introduction for book #2 that will whet your appetite to read more about Will and Lena.
Katie
Uh, so this feels like a weird complaint to make about a novella, but I think this might've been too long for me! Rip was a little TOO stupid for my tastes, especially since Kiss of Steel made me kind of think things were somewhat settled between him and Esme. And the plot seemed a bit too simplistic, I guess.

Still, I'm glad Rip and Esme got their story told!
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
A Christmas novella serialised by Bec McMaster and only available at this stage on her website.

Beautifully romantic tale set in her London Steampunk world this is the story of Esme, Blade and Honoria's housekeeper and John "Rip" Doohan Blade's enforcer. Amongst the mystery of disappearing people in Whitechapel and the evil slasher gangs, Rip must face his own demons if Esme is ever to be his. If you loved Kiss of Steel, you must read this. It's great.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Jan 13, 2014 Carmel (Rabid Reads) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas
I really enjoyed Rip and Esme's love story; they are two secondary characters that definitely deserved their own HEA. Felt more like a full-length book than a novella―a great addition to the London Steampunk series! You'll probably get more out of this one if you read Heart of Iron first though.
Noura
May 09, 2015 Noura rated it really liked it
A quick one day read, this one tells the story of one of Blade's men, Rip who was brutally attacked by the vampire in the first book and had to be turned into a blue-blood in order to survive and live.

6 months after the attack, Rip/ John is still trying to come to terms with his change as a blue blood and is very wary of showing his love to Esme, Blade's widowed housekeeper. The story revolves around how she tries to convince him that their love is worth the risk and how he at last finds a way
Ami
After finishing Kiss of Steel I immediately went hunting for the sequels. I started with this novella as it was listed as #1.5. The story was taken place six months after the event in Kiss of Steel; after Rip was turned into a blue blood by Blade.

While the main issue of this story was COMMUNICATION problem -- which sometimes I dislike -- somehow I couldn't get myself being annoyed by it because it did create a delicious tension. Rip was an idiot, that I could say. Esme had been throwing hints, h
Amanda P
This book was reviewed on Where the Night Kind Roam

I very quickly came to love this series! I am so glad that Anne from Under the Covers Book Blog recommended this series to me. It is a unique blend of historical, paranormal and steampunk. This book takes place approximately 6 months after the first book left off. Rip was given the blood-craving to survive a mortal wound at the end of the first book. It was Esme who provided blood for the first time to Rip so that he would survive. For the last
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
John "Rip" Doolan barely survived a vampire attack, only by turning him self into a blue blood was he able to survive his injuries. But his survival has come at a price, he now has the dark cravings for blood that he is now just beginning to control. The one person who threatens his control is Esme; the woman he has loved for so long and who he knows he can now never have as just the thought of being with her makes the dark craving rise.

How did I not know this novella was around until now?! It w
Beth
Jun 29, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
In a world were vampires rule, the dark and desperate human lives have one hope, the protection of a kind vampire. When the protection is threatened, newly turned Rip will do everything in his power to stop these attacks and restore the trust of the people of their town.

This is a wonderful novella length story about how Esme and John "Rip" Doolan finally get together. As a wonderfully crafted steampunk series, this novella provides some much wanted background into the side characters we've come
Melann
Dec 29, 2015 Melann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le format nouvelle (avec 120 pages sur ma liseuse tout de même) sert cette histoire, car on va à l'essentiel et on ne se perd pas en ressentiments inutiles ou péripéties ennuyantes.
Mariana Zapata
Jun 01, 2013 Mariana Zapata rated it it was amazing
I might be biased toward this book because I started harboring a major crush on Rip from the first moment he was introduced in Blade's book (a big man with a mechanical arm? Have mercy on my ovaries). I was beyond excited to see John and Esme's relationship hash out, and though I would've killed for a full-length novel, I loved that this wasn't rushed and didn't feel short.

On another note, Bec McMaster, I love you. Please write a book a month. I'd buy every single one.
Heather C
Yep, I’m still loving this series!

We met Rip and Esme in Kiss of Steel, and it was immediately obvious that there was more than just feelings of friendship between them. Tarnished Knight takes place over the first Christmas at the Warren since Blade’s little family has expanded; about six months after book one…six months after Rip was infected with the craving and Esme almost lost him…

This was the case of poor communication, neither Esme nor Rip wanting to admit their true feelings for the other
Mateja
Oct 19, 2014 Mateja rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014

It's been six months since John »Rip« Doolan has been turned into a blue blood in order to have his life saved. Dealing with the uncontrollable cravings for blood convinced Rip further more that he will be never good enough for Esme, a woman who has been taking care of the household where Rip lives for years. Esme has always had feeling for Rip but has never voiced them, though she showed it every day in taking care of him. But now she's tired of waiting and sees no reason for Rip to ke
tess75
Dec 17, 2015 tess75 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: très-bon
J'adore l'univers imaginé par l'auteur et, surtout, ses personnages. J'ai eu plaisir à lire l'histoire d'Esme, envers qui j'étais assez méfiante après le tome 1 et que, finalement, je ne connaissais pas du tout.
Bref, une très sympathique et touchante histoire (dommage que ce soit un format novella, j'aurais adoré en lire plus à propos d'Esme et de John).
Aoi
Feb 09, 2016 Aoi rated it really liked it
This novella packs a punch, all for its tiny size..!
Rip as fierce and as tender as heroes come, I'm glad we got to read about his HEA with Esme..
Carrie
Apr 26, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it
John aka Rip and Esme were great together. John the gentle giant well only to Esme. Esme is sweet and such a lovable character. How could you not want them to have HEA. This is a great short story that fits really well between Kiss of Steel and Heart of Iron. Both books are really good. This is a series that I would definitely recommend reading in order.
Kate Phoenix
You 'ave gotta love a Eastender who 'as an accent. 4

This book was lent to me. Thank you very much JLC. It picks up right off where a "Kiss of Steel" finished. Rip is now a blue blood and is fighting the craving. Rip thinks he isn't good enough for Esme which is rubbish. I do get why Rip doesn't want to get close to Esme as he is afraid that he'll hurt her. But the Slashers are back and they are after blood. This book is a stepping stone for the next book. We see a bit more of Will and Lena. I l
Kelly
Apr 25, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Tarnished Knight is for people who...

...enjoy dark, gritty steampunk.
...like when the big, hulking guy finds a lady who appreciates him.
...don't mind mechanical bits.
...get a kick out of a friends-to-lovers romance.
...aren't bothered by misunderstandings.

I really, really liked this one. Vampires, werewolves, and dangerous men and women. The bad guys are bad. The good guys straddle the line, but they always protect what's theirs. LOVED IT!

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Pam
Apr 03, 2015 Pam rated it liked it
3.5....a bit to angst-filled for me.
Olivia ツ
Jun 06, 2013 Olivia ツ rated it it was amazing
Sweet, sweet short story that takes place right after Kiss of Steel. Rip aka John is Blade's right hand man. He has a mechanical arm. Esme is Blade's housekeeper and blood donor. When Rip is brutally wounded in book 1, he decides to be infected and live just so he can see Esme again. It was cute to see these two miscommunicate and push each other away. Cuter still was Blade playing matchmaker.
La Chronique des Passions

2ème livre que je lis de Bec Mcmaster et 2ème excellent moment passé avec la plume de cette auteure.

Je l'attendais cette nouvelle. Pour celle qui ont lu La fugitive de Whitechapel, la situation n'est pas simple entre Esme et John. Elle est la gouvernante de Blade tandis que lui est son bras droit.
Le géant a survécu a une attaque de vampire plus mort que vivant. Pour ne pas succomber, son maître Blane a du faire de lui un sang-bleu. Depuis, il a du mal
Fangs for the Fantasy
It's been six months since the events of Kiss of Steel. Rip is struggling to gain control now that he has the virus coursing through his veins causing him to want blood. He has spent most of his time close to the Warren afraid to venture to far. Finally, wresting some control Rip seeks to become useful again and begins investigating a series of murders of women, causing him to flashbacks to the death of his mother. It is only when the one he loves most is threatened that Rip is finally able to g ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 07:59AM
What's The Name o...: Tarnished Knight by Bec McMaster [s] 12 67 Feb 12, 2014 06:03PM
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5)
  • Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
Bec McMaster is the award-winning author of the London Steampunk series. A member of RWA, she writes sexy, dark paranormals, and adventurous steampunk romances, and grew up with her nose in a book. Following a life-long love affair with fantasy, she discovered romance novels as a 16 year-old, and hasn't looked back.

In 2012, Sourcebooks released her debut novel, Kiss of Steel, the first in the Lon
More about Bec McMaster...

London Steampunk (6 books)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
  • Mission: Improper (London Steampunk, #6)