Start by marking “Pandora Hearts, Volume 03” as Want to Read:
Pandora Hearts, Volume 03

Pandora Hearts, Volume 03 (Pandora Hearts #3)

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  6,221 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Heir to an aristocratic family, Oz Vessalius is a carefree teen. That is until his fifteenth birthday. His entire world changes at his coming of age ceremony when dark forces rise to punish Oz for the sins of a past life. Incarcerated in a prison known as the Abyss, Oz’s life and perhaps his sanity are saved by a black rabbit called Alice. As Oz plunges deeper down the pro ...more
Published October 2010 by Yen Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pandora Hearts, Volume 03, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pandora Hearts, Volume 03

Amy Keeley
Oct 09, 2012 Amy Keeley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of twisted family relationships, fantasy, Alice in Wonderland
Shelves: manga
Good gosh, I love this series.

"Don't touch me, you vile creature."

One of the things I like about Pandora Hearts is its focus on the family. Twisted, weird, sick families who, in their own weird way, love each other. Or, at least, I think they do. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

In volume #3, family takes center stage, beginning with Oz trying to help a boy and his father, who has entered into an illegal contract with a chain. In the process, we see just how bad O
Gabriella Alaniz
Jan 10, 2016 Gabriella Alaniz rated it really liked it
I'm quickly falling in love with this series.
Mary
WOW...no spoilers.

"A loyalty that holds fast will become a blade...and will someday...pierce those you hold dear."

PH has consistently pulled my FEELS apart. This volume dealt with the darkness in Oz's past, the cruelty and pain he suffered, and the loneliness he, Alice, and Gil all suffered.

There is no break for them. It is like reality-hardships will fall upon you. Depending on how you carry yourself, how you endure it, will shape the person you become.

We learn that The Intention of the Abyss,
✿ cassandra ✿
I wonder why I didn't read this series sooner.
Lottie Eve
Nov 22, 2012 Lottie Eve rated it it was amazing
Eris Vianney
Jul 17, 2014 Eris Vianney rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eris Vianney by: Elaney
Okay, I'm going to try to summarize what I know. Maybe it'll make more sense.

Chains = powerful beasties from the Abyss? Riiiiiiight?
Contractors = make agreements with Beasties to get their powers, and in turn the Chains can use the contractors bodies in this world.

Intention of the Abyss = Bunny of Death = Alice

The four big families, like Oz and Gil's, each got control over four big-ass Chains, and they formed Pandora in order to stop "illegal contractors" from making agreements with Chains from
Mike
Sep 23, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
Picking up nicely.

Review: https://derailmentsofthought.wordpres...
Nərmin
Oct 04, 2016 Nərmin rated it it was amazing
This volume of Pandora Hearts focuses more on the past of Oz and Gilbert. Which is great, beautiful, painful, heart-wrenching. (view spoiler)
I loved Gilbert's devotion and protectiveness, Oz's understanding and sweetness... I also loved Alice's sometimes sweet, sometimes grumpy attitude...She feels lonely as much as Oz. And here we see Break's dark side)) It is clear, I loved the
Elevetha
I got along with this one about the same as Volume 2. The one thing, at this point, that I just don't get, and it really is freaking me out which is probably the only reason it stuck in my brain, is the Bunny of Death. I assume you all know the one. The creepy bloody eyes in-your-face giant panels of BUNNY OF DEATH. Not B-Rabbit, though...that's weird too. No. BUNNY OF DEATH.

Oh, well. I sally forth!

Mal
Apr 06, 2015 Mal rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, manga-graphic
become my
other eye

(view spoiler)
Selena
Wow. No wonder Oz is in total denial. And I feel bad for Gilbert.

Excellent characters, which is what I like to read for.
Angela
Sep 13, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: action, manga, artwork, drama
I
Azbaqiyah
Nov 22, 2016 Azbaqiyah rated it it was amazing
Lanie
Apr 03, 2016 Lanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Black butler fans
Recommended to Lanie by: Goodreads. The whole, "you enjoyed this book, so here are similar ones" thing. :D
Wonderful! Oh my god, this is so awesome! :) :) :)

Ever since I discovered "black butler" last year, I've been way I'm to manga. :) these Japanese authors really know how to make a good story & great characters. You can really tell how much they care about their work. The artwork, the stories, the characters! The fact that I can read one book in about an hour. :) and in some great fantasy elements & tons of blood and gore & I'm hooked. :D

I don't even mind (mostly) that the books are
MissAnnThrope
21 May 2013

Rating: * * 1/2

I have a rocky relationship with this series. The first volume left something to be desired, but then the second volume showed promise and had me very excited to read the next volume. Unfortunately, Pandora Hearts, Vol. 3 digresses backwards to the first volume's confuddled storytelling which never settles into a rhythmic flow. I will give it this: the characterization is its definite strong point.

What got me hooked in the second volume was the characters. I love Oz, Ra
Beatris
Jul 11, 2016 Beatris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normalmente, antes de empezar a dar mi opinión digo qué argumento podemos encontrar en el libro o, en este caso, el manga. Si no voy a decir de qué trata es porque no quiero hacer spoilers ni arruinar la experiencia de leer este msnga. Pandora Hearts se caracteriza por tener muchos giros argumentales y porque cada pequeño detalle puede llegar a ser trascendental para la historia. Y, de verdad, no es algo que no quieras descubrir por tí mismo.

Ando medio obsesionada con estos mangas porque estoy
Karissa
Aug 01, 2016 Karissa rated it really liked it
This book adds quite a bit of backstory to our characters’ pasts. When B Rabbit/Alice asks about Oz’s parents and Oz runs into a young boy whom he sympathizes with; we get some flashbacks into Oz’s relationship with his father that explain a lot about his personality.

We also find out more about what happened to Gil during the time when Oz was in the Abyss. Additionally we are introduced in more depth to the Nightray Dukedom and get to learn more about Vincent and Echo.

As with previous books ther
LAnn
Mar 21, 2011 LAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Pandora Hearts never stops amazing me. Despite reading three volumes of the manga, my interest is still holding strong. Jun Mochizuki brought an element to each chapter of the manga that keeps the audience's attention from page one. I don't know how he manages to do so.

Dipping into the chapters of the manga for a moment, there's so much character development going on in the pages that show past conflicts and how that effects the characters now. New characters are introduces and a few questions a
Yvensong
I could not find a copy of Vol. 2, so had to jump from Vol. 1 to Vol. 3. Luckily, I have already seen the anime, and was able to determine where in the story we were.

The author does a wonderful job of developing characters with just a simple glance, a facial expression, or a phrase.

It's easy to see how damaged Oz is when he meets up with another young boy who is looking for his father. He shifts from being strong to open-eyed curiosity to slumped down sadness, while trying to comfort the boy. T
Rylee Wilhoit
Feb 22, 2015 Rylee Wilhoit rated it really liked it
I liked this volume of Pandora Hearts because of the situation with B-Rabbit, Gilbert, and Oz. It was a bit confusing at what was happening, but I finally understood it. I liked how they team up in this volume and it's very interesting to me how it is explained.

This volume was about Oz, Alice, and Gilbert going through the main town and Alice and Gilbert went off to search for items they needed in the food market. Oz, however, came across a little boy that needed help while a few boys were bull
Sarah Hayes
Jun 05, 2011 Sarah Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
Once again, Pandora Hearts delivery as the fantasy action series every Kuroshitsuji fan should be reading. It has managed to evolve from its original form as a riff on Alice In Wonderland into something all its own, complete with its own mythology and world building courtesy of Jun Mochizuki. The more I see of Gil and Oz's past as well as Gil's life during Oz's stay in the Abyss, the more of these scenes I want to see. The introduction of Vincent adds a much-needed element of conflict into Gil's ...more
Kerry
Dec 19, 2011 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread-list, manga
Pandora Hearts doesn't ever really stop ceasing to amaze me. The art is fantastic and the plot line is quite amusing to read.

Anyway, Volume Three had a nice addition of Gilbert's 'past' and the protagonists meet another illegal contractor. As well as that side of Oz which just really wants to help everyone, which was nice.

The Intention of the Abyss is mentioned again, which sparks curiosity (even though I know what it is...), and Break keeps his interesting way of being all mysterious and whatno
Sam "moony"
It's really nice to see a lot of flash backs ranging around my two favorite characters. I love seeing Oz to cheerful and helpful to a kid he only just met because his dickbag of a father verbally abused him and locked his best friend in their basement when Oz did absolutely NOTHING to piss him off. It's also rather sad to see all Gilbert went through to get from lovable pushover to badass gunslinger and how much of it his psychopathic brother really had to do with it (Close to none. shocking I k ...more
Hope
May 27, 2011 Hope rated it really liked it
I finally met Vincent! Yay! He is pretty cool. Still a tiny bit confusing in how it skips around but I'm getting more used to just reading it through and usually everything ends up making sense. It's a nice quick read that is also enjoyable and intriguing, I can't wait to continue.

Premise - 4/5

Cover/Artwork - Still loving it! Humorous expressions and interesting detai
Cornerofmadness
Mar 20, 2011 Cornerofmadness rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
In this Oz meets up with a young boy and with Echo, another of Pandora’s hunters. We get glimpses into how dangerous Alice the B-rabbit is and of the darkness lurking in Oz. We also get a large chunk of Oz’s past and his unfortunately family background. Gil’s past, how he met Xerxes Break and gets drafted into Pandora is also explored.

Sparse review I know but most everything else would be very spoilery. While I like this, there does feel like chunks have gone missing here and there where the sto
Jenny
May 22, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, shounen-manga
[Ch. 10-13:]

It was nice re-reading the chapters again. Although I know that scanlators are really busy, they should try to update at a more frequent pace. I usually forget what's happening otherwise.

It was sad reading about Oz and his relationship with his father. Even though he always has/had a happy, smiling face, he was often secretly hurting inside. His dad is such an asshole.

I love Gill's devotion to Oz. He really must've been in a dark place in his life when he met Oz for Oz to mean so muc
Courtney (Storybook Slayers)
Apr 15, 2012 Courtney (Storybook Slayers) rated it liked it
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

The whole revamping of Alice in Wonderland into a dark and twisted manga following a Boy named Oz and an chain named Alice (B Rabbit) definitely caught my eye when searching for a new manga to read. The art work is astounding and I fell in love from page one. Not just that, but the chilling mystery behind Oz and what he is truly guilty of does peck at my skin, the anticipation of knowing the secret haunts me every time I read :) A truly
Karly
Sep 11, 2016 Karly rated it really liked it
I'm a little bit disappointed with the third volume, I didn't feel like much happened, and what did happen was kind of irrelevant and just confused me. Don't get me wrong, I still loved it, and Break's retorts made me laugh, but I'm going to put off reading the fourth volume for a while I think.

Hopefully when I come back to it I can pick it up at the same pace that the story finished with at the end of the second volume.
Miss Ryoko
Jan 31, 2012 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
So, last time I said Oz reminded me a lot of Momiji from Fruits Basket but now he's reminding me a lot of Tohru from Fruits Basket!! Lol, he's just a Fruits Basket mash up.

Progress, progress. I'm excited to see what happens next.
Chia-Tung
Sep 24, 2016 Chia-Tung rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Vincent Nightray makes his debut by shooting an illegal contractor, whose son is still waiting for his return, in the head. Echo is a cute skillful servant/killer.

Through flashbacks, we learn that Gilbert's lost memory is not pretty, and that Vincent's smile hides a sharp knife. Becoming a Nightray, Gilbert becomes an aristocrate and eventually obtain that power of the Raven (big scary black bird).

Loneliness... is a miserable cold thing.

And Break doesn't have a left eye is scary.
Paravex 1 2 Nov 18, 2016 04:32AM
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 06
  • Black Butler, Volume 04
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 04 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #4)
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 2
  • Karneval, Vol. 2 (Karneval, #2)
Jun Mochizuki (望月淳 Mochizuki Jun) is a Japanese comic artist (manga-ka), best known for the fantasy shounen series Pandora Hearts/パンドラハーツ.
More about Jun Mochizuki...

Pandora Hearts (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Pandora Hearts パンドラハーツ 1