Pandora Hearts, Vol. 03

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 03 (Pandora Hearts #3)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  3,520 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Heir to an aristocratic family, Oz Vessalius is a carefree teen. That is until his fifteenth birthday. His entire world changes at his coming of age ceremony when dark forces rise to punish Oz for the sins of a past life. Incarcerated in a prison known as the Abyss, Oz’s life and perhaps his sanity are saved by a black rabbit called Alice. As Oz plunges deeper down the pro...more
Published October 2010 by Yen Press (first published 2007)

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 07 by Jun MochizukiChobits, Vol. 05 by CLAMPDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaBlack Butler, Vol. 06 by Yana Toboso
Best Manga Covers
29th out of 295 books — 65 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaFruits Basket, Volume 12 by Natsuki TakayaNana, Vol. 21 by Ai YazawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 05 by Bisco HatoriNana, Vol. 3 by Ai Yazawa
Most touching mangas
74th out of 112 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Pepper

I love Pandora Hearts.

Okay, let's talk about Xerxes Break, the Mad Hatter. That's him on the cover there.

He is awesome.

Middle aged man who has a doll on his shoulder named Emily. He eats candy and cake, ALL THE TIME. He has the best hats and coats. He's a total moron and an idiot, and fights all battles alone. I don't think he knows how to use a door. For example, he'll crawl out from underneath a table, the bed, or slip into a tiny closet and somehow end up on a chimney. He'll use other peopl...more
Amy Keeley
Oct 09, 2012 Amy Keeley rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: fans of twisted family relationships, fantasy, Alice in Wonderland
Shelves: manga
Good gosh, I love this series.

"Don't touch me, you vile creature."

One of the things I like about Pandora Hearts is its focus on the family. Twisted, weird, sick families who, in their own weird way, love each other. Or, at least, I think they do. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

In volume #3, family takes center stage, beginning with Oz trying to help a boy and his father, who has entered into an illegal contract with a chain. In the process, we see just how bad O...more
Lottie Eve
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
A lot more information passed on this volume & the art work is as beautiful as ever :3
LAnn
Pandora Hearts never stops amazing me. Despite reading three volumes of the manga, my interest is still holding strong. Jun Mochizuki brought an element to each chapter of the manga that keeps the audience's attention from page one. I don't know how he manages to do so.

Dipping into the chapters of the manga for a moment, there's so much character development going on in the pages that show past conflicts and how that effects the characters now. New characters are introduces and a few questions a...more
MissAnnThrope
21 May 2013

Rating: * * 1/2

I have a rocky relationship with this series. The first volume left something to be desired, but then the second volume showed promise and had me very excited to read the next volume. Unfortunately, Pandora Hearts, Vol. 3 digresses backwards to the first volume's confuddled storytelling which never settles into a rhythmic flow. I will give it this: the characterization is its definite strong point.

What got me hooked in the second volume was the characters. I love Oz, Ra...more
Kerry
Pandora Hearts doesn't ever really stop ceasing to amaze me. The art is fantastic and the plot line is quite amusing to read.

Anyway, Volume Three had a nice addition of Gilbert's 'past' and the protagonists meet another illegal contractor. As well as that side of Oz which just really wants to help everyone, which was nice.

The Intention of the Abyss is mentioned again, which sparks curiosity (even though I know what it is...), and Break keeps his interesting way of being all mysterious and whatno...more
Once again, Pandora Hearts delivery as the fantasy action series every Kuroshitsuji fan should be reading. It has managed to evolve from its original form as a riff on Alice In Wonderland into something all its own, complete with its own mythology and world building courtesy of Jun Mochizuki. The more I see of Gil and Oz's past as well as Gil's life during Oz's stay in the Abyss, the more of these scenes I want to see. The introduction of Vincent adds a much-needed element of conflict into Gil's...more
Sam "moony"
It's really nice to see a lot of flash backs ranging around my two favorite characters. I love seeing Oz to cheerful and helpful to a kid he only just met because his dickbag of a father verbally abused him and locked his best friend in their basement when Oz did absolutely NOTHING to piss him off. It's also rather sad to see all Gilbert went through to get from lovable pushover to badass gunslinger and how much of it his psychopathic brother really had to do with it (Close to none. shocking I k...more
Courtney
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

The whole revamping of Alice in Wonderland into a dark and twisted manga following a Boy named Oz and an chain named Alice (B Rabbit) definitely caught my eye when searching for a new manga to read. The art work is astounding and I fell in love from page one. Not just that, but the chilling mystery behind Oz and what he is truly guilty of does peck at my skin, the anticipation of knowing the secret haunts me every time I read :) A truly...more
Jenny
[Ch. 10-13:]

It was nice re-reading the chapters again. Although I know that scanlators are really busy, they should try to update at a more frequent pace. I usually forget what's happening otherwise.

It was sad reading about Oz and his relationship with his father. Even though he always has/had a happy, smiling face, he was often secretly hurting inside. His dad is such an asshole.

I love Gill's devotion to Oz. He really must've been in a dark place in his life when he met Oz for Oz to mean so muc...more
SleepDreamWrite
Story getting more and more interesting. Good volume.
Cornerofmadness
In this Oz meets up with a young boy and with Echo, another of Pandora’s hunters. We get glimpses into how dangerous Alice the B-rabbit is and of the darkness lurking in Oz. We also get a large chunk of Oz’s past and his unfortunately family background. Gil’s past, how he met Xerxes Break and gets drafted into Pandora is also explored.

Sparse review I know but most everything else would be very spoilery. While I like this, there does feel like chunks have gone missing here and there where the sto...more
Hope
I finally met Vincent! Yay! He is pretty cool. Still a tiny bit confusing in how it skips around but I'm getting more used to just reading it through and usually everything ends up making sense. It's a nice quick read that is also enjoyable and intriguing, I can't wait to continue.

Premise - 4/5
Enjoyment - 4/5

Average Rating - 3.8
My Rating - 4

Recommend? Yep!
Cover/Artwork - Still loving it! Humorous expressions and interesting detai...more
*Queen Diva*
So, last time I said Oz reminded me a lot of Momiji from Fruits Basket but now he's reminding me a lot of Tohru from Fruits Basket!! Lol, he's just a Fruits Basket mash up.

Progress, progress. I'm excited to see what happens next.
Karly
I'm a little bit disappointed with the third volume, I didn't feel like much happened, and what did happen was kind of irrelevant and just confused me. Don't get me wrong, I still loved it, and Break's retorts made me laugh, but I'm going to put off reading the fourth volume for a while I think.

Hopefully when I come back to it I can pick it up at the same pace that the story finished with at the end of the second volume.
Verlysia
No matter which volume, it's always 5 stars. So shut up.
And why i didn't tell you any experience or spoilers? Because it's just a twisting goddamn heavenly story that cant be described by pity Verlysia.
I have a puny brain that craved for twisted stories.

And again:
description
ArdnAskelA
Plus je m'avance dans cette histoire, plus de mystères apparaissent.. Et ça m'intéresse de plus en plus par la même occasion! :D
Si j'avais du mal avec les deux premiers tomes pour comprendre de quoi parlait cette histoire, je ne regrette pas d'avoir continué à lire car plus j'avance dedans mieux je comprends les liens entre les divers personnages et divers évènements. ^^
Amanda
The series continues to be quite good. This volume introduces a few new characters while giving us some more back-story on Oz ans Gil. Oz had some good character moments in this one, but I think Gil is still my favorite. I certainly feel like the story is building an intricate web of connections between all these characters and I look forward to seeing how it all plays out.
Angelina Justice
I definitely like the series. I just wish I didn't have to go backward, so often, to figure out who someone is or what is happening in the story. I feel a little like the crazy rabbit with missing pieces of "memory."

I know it is not just my inexperience with Manga, because there are several other series I can follow with no problem.

Gee
Jun 24, 2013 Gee rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
The book blurbs make this series sound great, but the storytelling is confusing and I can't tell half the characters apart because they look so similar. I'm not sure why these books have such high ratings - I wonder what others see in them that I can't? But I'm quitting this series.
scarlettraces
i dunno, i'm not feeling these characters. except for Alice, who isn't anything much except there in this vol. there's tons of plot, with more promised, but it's not much good if you don't give a damn about their terrible deep dark secrets and mental anguish.
Jacob Jones
And holy cow ANOTHER awesome book! Xerxes Break is one of my favorite anime characters so far and his mystery is just infinite. I occasionally have a hard time following the story but as I keep reading things tend to piece together. Love love LOVE it!
Derrick Bjorklund
why do i come back for more? maybe its cause the characters are funny with a serious tone. maybe its the twists in the plot i can't see coming. whatever it is it makes the series great and i recommend pandora hearts to everyone who reads manga
Lightning
I'm still having difficulty following the flow of what's going on (minus action scenes and the whole "Chain" concept.)
But... I think it'll come together.
Hopefully.
The characters, art, and possible concept are what will keep me reading :)
Ceres
Ce tome avance enfin un peu plus sur les mystères de l'abysse et de Pandora...Sans compter que les sentiments des personnages sont mis à rude épreuve et ils se dévoilent encore et encore.
Ce tome est vraiment très bon et avance pas à pas!
Nic
Fun fun. I'm pleased at how much this volume made sense to me, as I found parts of the first two confusing. And Xerxes Break is just freakily adorable and amazing. And he always has candy! Best character award.
Corley
I liked this volume a lot, 'cause you get to see a lot more of Oz and Gil's past and get some insight on both of them. I like how Vincent acts, and Echo's just so weird!
Mely
Apr 01, 2011 Mely marked it as read-seq-art
This series is not-quite -- not quite good, not quite bad, not quite emotionally deep enough, not quite exciting enough in the action, not quite pretty enough in the art.

Jessie B.
I am not sure why I like this manga so much, the story is confusing, the art is average and yet for some reason I am hooked and want to keep reading it.
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 06 (D.Gray-man #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 2
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 02 (Soul Eater, #2)
Jun Mochizuki (望月淳 Mochizuki Jun) is a Japanese comic artist (manga-ka), best known for the fantasy shounen series Pandora Hearts/パンドラハーツ.
More about Jun Mochizuki...
Pandora Hearts パンドラハーツ 1 Pandora Hearts, Vol. 02 Pandora Hearts, Vol. 04 Pandora Hearts, Vol. 06 Pandora Hearts, Vol. 05