Start by marking “Promise of Departure” as Want to Read:
Promise of Departure

Promise of Departure

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A broken mechanic packs his motorcycle and heads to Haiti to repair his own crumbling life.

My dearest little Maggie,

I'm sorry in ways you may never understand. Please know that I never wanted to leave you....

It wasn't the traditional birthday letter Greg had written his daughter four times before. But traditions, like everything else, had utterly unraveled.

Adrift in a work
Published August 1st 2012 by L.W. Montgomery

To ask other readers questions about Promise of Departure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise of Departure

Oliver E.
(I was provided with a complimentary copy of the book for review.)

Promise of Departure is a rare animal indeed. It is, at times, humorous and comforting, beguilingly so, stripping bare the darker elements of our nature in such stark, raw detail as to force self-examination of one's belief systems, a forceful fact-check of our own personal and most trusted, accepted ideologies. A paper-thin fairy tale it is not. What it is, rather, is a dark and wholly honest observation of the oft-unforeseen pit
Evgeny
First things first: I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways.

I can actually give the plot summary for this book and my review in one sentence. This is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values, Jr. Simple as that.

A little more detailed description. A guy called Greg quits his job, leaves almost everything to his wife (with whom he is in the middle of divorce) and daughter and goes to Haiti devastated by an earthquake with his bike hoping to help l
Debra Hartmann
Book Review - "Promise of Departure" by L W Montgomery - 4 Stars and a "Grab Your Riding Gear" Shout out!

The book begins with a "picture" of a typed letter to Janet from Greg, telling her he is stepping out of the picture as a result of his own inability to deal with their divorce. I liked this unique start, this presentation of the letter, it made me want to see what other surprises would be included and I wasn't disappointed. Chapter 1 begins with Greg fussing over having dropped his motorcycl
Christine H
** If I could give this a 3.5 star rating, I would. I liked it more than just 3 stars' worth!

Montgomery’s debut novel grabs you from the very first page in which our protagonist, Greg, writes a letter to his soon-to-be ex-wife to semi-adequately explain his reasons for disappearing. The opening of Promise of Departure—which delineates both the inciting event and numerous conflicts and, thus, is simultaneously satisfying and tantalizing—grabs you from the get-go. We journey alongside Greg as he j
David W.
I found this book to be a true home run. One of the ways I can always tell a winner is my not wanting it to end and this read certainly fit the bill.

As other reviewers have mentioned it's a complex piece with real characters dealing with real questions and issues we can all relate to. No cardboard cutouts here or facade and pretense which I find most refreshing. Our protagonist Greg has hit the wall mentally and is running away from an all too lifelike troubled marriage in attempt to assist thos
Todd Faugal
This guy basically wrote a new zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. My dad and I have always been big into harleys and he made me read that back in the day. I liked zen, and it was a good book and all but a litlte long. The bike parts were the best. Well, this guy wrote what's like a whole new generations version of that book. I'm not big into romance stuff, so that was the one thing I didn't really care about much. It's real sounding and not how most movies or books deal with it which is ...more
Line
I won this book in a Goodreads FirstRead giveaway.

Promise of departure - the road to realization for our main character Greg, who on his travels wonder about the past present and future in a not too deep but in way it's easy to relate to.
Greg travels far and wide on his bike and though the storyline isn't always full speed ahead I was never bored expect for a few times when i found the descreptions of the motorcycles a little too detailed.
This book definately exeeded my expectations - thoughtf
Yoga Febrian Pratama
( I was one of the winner of the giveaway )

Promise of Departure, one of my favorite books. The story is some of the best I can find, especially in my country. My family enjoyed reading it, even the young ones.

Promise of Departure serves comedy, tears, and laughs for the readers to enjoy. Though there are a few part that I didn't understand. But that's okay, though. I've re-read it for a few times and now I came to understand more about those parts.

Well, I can only recommend this book to all of y
Wanda
I received the novel Promise of Departure via Goodreads firstreads giveaway. Thanks to the author LW Montgomery for the signed copy! This was a thought-provoking read for me, to which I truly enjoyed. The novel shares the story of Greg Maurus, a man who is emotionally tormented by the life he is seeking and the one he left behind. He travels to Haiti in hopes of finding the man he wants to become, in an attempt to escape the man he recognizes that he did not want to be. The author's writing capt ...more
Dave Montgomery-blake
Promise of Departure is a solid first novel from L.W. Montgomery. In the beginning, the mechanical jargon of motorcycle riding and repair left me left me slightly bewildered. I know next to nothing about engine mechanics and even less about riding motorcycles. However as the narrative continued, I found a common ground with the character of Greg, his journey, and the different people he met along the ride.

Promise is a personal narrative of Otherness and finding hope in the most hopeless of place
Jaishree
I received this book through a First Reads giveaway on Good Reads.

I loved this book and completely related to the story of a person who have achieved success in the world and has reached a point of saturation. He is now looking for more, something bigger than success in the worldly sense. Questioning life's purpose is something everyone goes through. The fascinating aspect of this particular book is how Greg(the character whose journey the book follows) deals with this struggle of realizing how
Erik Beyer
Promise of Departure... First off, I am not one to admit I am the sappy type, but the last line of the book, sealed the deal on this story.

It took me a while to get going on this book only because I wasn't making enough time to sit and read. But today I finished the last third of the book or so in one sitting. It got the point in the story where I was anxious to see what was going to happen next and I just couldn't wait.

Much of me throughout this book wanted to be Greg, or at least wanted to be
Patti
What an amazing journey to read. Greg thinking he is lost within his personal life. Not seeing his qualities within himself; fatherhood, friendship and his compassion for his fellow being. My interpretation is he's not lost but finding his path in life; to love again & sharing his talent of repairing motorcycles. It's obvious he loves motorcycles (endearingly naming them) old or new and wants to pay it forward in his own humble way by repairing them. His detailed description of Haiti and the ...more
Yvonne
I won this book through Goodreads and am so happy that I did! Initially I didn't think I would like the book; I thought the book was going to be primarily about motorcycles, but this book really is about our journey through life. I think anyone over 35+ would relate to Greg, his failures and struggle to find meaning and value in his life. His failures might be different than our own, but his struggle to find meaning is an universal struggle. Thank you LW for writing this book...it's definitely a ...more
Vivian Chuang
I had won this book through a giveaway here on Goodreads.

I have one thing to say on this book: It's brilliant. The writing is sentimental and heartfelt, the writer's choice of words is striking and connects to the reader.

Although it drags on in some chapters, this book is definitely worth a read.
Michelle Hopkins
Promise Of Departure is a story of a man on a journey to self-discovery. The main character, Greg, is flawed and easy to relate to. LW Montgomery is an expert at imagery. I was able to picture every detail of Greg's ride through Haiti. Well written!
Karry Vanherreweghe
I received this as a Goodreads first-reads winner and I enjoyed it very much. Definitely worth reading!
Morisca Cristian
I enjoyed reading it. I recommend it. I got this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Bookmaniac70
Received today in the mail. I won it in a Goodreads giveaway.
Katie Meek
The storm scene is some of the best writing I've read :)
Andrea
Sé pah pou moi.
Courtney
Promise of departure has a little something for everyone. It has the masculine side with lots of motorcycles, but there is a softer side to it as well.
Motorcycles. Travel. Drinking Problems. Romance. There is a little bit of everything.
I wasn’t expecting to get into this book as much as I did. The beginning of the book is a little slow, and it takes about a chapter to officially figure out what is going on.
The further you read, the more it pulls you in. You slowly feel as though you are in Gr
L.W. Montgomery
Nov 16, 2014 L.W. Montgomery rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
5-star Amazon review by Sean R.

"Loved it. A page turner.

The main character, Greg, is immediately relatable and carries us forward through the story with ease.

I love that the character is flawed, honest about those flaws, and willing to do the hard work to expose those flaws. It's always a joy to read a character that's a human, rather than "a character".

I expect I'd like to have a beer with this Greg guy.

As an aside, the motorcycle motif worked really well for me. It's interesting to me... by u
Joy Adams
Not my type of book.I started it three times And the third time I made myself finish it.I'm sure a male biker would find it enjoyable but I just found it boring.
Lreceived this book fron goodreads."Promise of Departure" by L.W.Montgomery
Simon Fandrey
Simon Fandrey marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Brady Ford
Brady Ford marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Vaish
Vaish marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Bargain Basement: Free Kindle book All Weekend Jan10th-12th 1 21 Jan 10, 2014 10:32PM
Bargain Basement: Free Book today & tomorrow 1 33 Sep 07, 2013 01:31PM
  • The Soul Consortium
  • With Cruel Intent
  • Stoning the Devil
  • Philosophy: A Discovery in Comics
  • Game Theory (Katerina Carter Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • The Dust in Sunlight
  • The Second Bat Guano War
  • The Plectra Conspiracy
  • Amontillado
  • Heidegger Stairwell
  • I'm Nobody: My Mother Said It; I No Longer Believe It
  • Lessness and More
LW Montgomery spent his youth lost in the library. He would spend years sacking groceries, building hard drives, and co-founding the game studio Gearbox Software before returning to his first love.
More about L.W. Montgomery...
Quack This Way

“I realized I was far more interested in the expansion of concentric rings than the geometry of perfect circles.” 1 likes