Start by marking “Bertie Was a Watchdog” as Want to Read:
Bertie Was a Watchdog

Bertie Was a Watchdog

A very small watchdog proves that size isn’t everything—even when you’re up against a big bad robber.

Bertie is a rather unusual watchdog. That’s because Bertie is, well, about the size of a watch. So when a horrible robber breaks in, tiny Bertie is put to the test! Bertie nips the robber on the leg, chases him around the sofa, and challenges him to a barking contest. But w
Published June 1st 2002 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Bertie Was a Watchdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bertie Was a Watchdog

Rory Scott Douglas
Dec 04, 2013 Rory Scott Douglas rated it liked it
Rick Walton's cunning canine caper tells the story of the little dog that could. In a home alone style back and forth the miniature mutt competes with the burglar in every aspect of dog-hood. After many attempts all seems lost, but will Bertie put the crook in the dog house?

After reading the book an irresistible smile is a natural reaction and Walton makes good use of the twist to create something heart-warming. Although I enjoyed the narrative I felt the illustration left something to be desire
Heidi-Marie
I guessed where the story was going, and still enjoyed this book. Fun to see the under dog (or in this case little dog) triumph. Best picture in the whole book is the page with the text "size of a watch." The look on Bertie's face is fantastic. This would definitely be a fun book to read aloud in a lap-read, but also in a storytime. I think the preschoolers would enjoy it as would school-age. Though I still have my misgivings about the part where the robber bites the dog...

4/4/12 My small spring
Bec
Jun 18, 2008 Bec rated it it was amazing
Format: 54 pages Appx. 275 words, third person POV

*spoilers*

Bertie is a watchdog because... he's the size of a watch. We're talking tiny. So when a burglar breaks into Bertie's house, he has to use more than his size to bring the thief to justice. This little guy has the heart of coyote, tricking the burglar into bringing himself to the attention of the police. Strong arc and really cute concept.
Valerie L
May 11, 2011 Valerie L rated it it was amazing
How many times have I read this? I memorized it long ago - in fact our family has acted it out at a family reunion - need I say more? You and your children will love this book! It's time I bought another hardback copy - the last has been taped and taped and taped.
Brooke Newberry
Apr 21, 2012 Brooke Newberry rated it really liked it
Very amusing book for storytime. Preschoolers and young elementary kids love a twist, so this is the perfect book for them. Have them make the noises with you for a more interactive reading.

2/21/2012 & 2/23/2009
Leah Christine
Sep 27, 2007 Leah Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scrappy kids ages 3-6
Bertie is a watchdog, the size of a watch. Although a little ratty looking, he's adorable, and the play on words made this book a favorite amongst children and adults at the independent bookstore I worked at!
Christy
Bertie was a little dog. He had a contest with the robber to see who could bit the hardest--the robber won, who could run the fastest--the robber won and who could bark the loudest--the robber won. But the robber barked so loud the police heard and came and caught the robber. Bertie won!
Barbara
Apr 25, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Awesome story with clever, fun illustrations, popular with my preschool daughter and husband for bedtime reading. It's funny, surprising, and features bad guys getting outsmarted by the little guy. Not too long for sleepy parents, either!
Melki
Jul 04, 2016 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertie was called a watchdog, not because of his horrific bark or his fearsome bite, but because he was . . . about the size of a watch. Yet this tiny terror proved more than a match when a burglar invaded his home. This is a bite-sized amount of cute and silly fun.
Tami
Sep 15, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
This pint sized dog shows a nefarious robber that brains can defeat brawn as Bertie tricks him into barking for the police.
Stephanie Wycihowski
Jan 23, 2009 Stephanie Wycihowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a really fun and classic dog lover story! Fun and colorful to use when reading to young children!
Rusty Gregory
Mar 05, 2013 Rusty Gregory rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
"Bertie was a watchdog."

This is a great story full of fun illustrations. The cleverness of Bertie makes me laugh.
Keegan
Jun 07, 2009 Keegan rated it it was ok
Shelves: pic-book-for-fun
A pretty silly book but fun as well. The moral could be a bit of cleverness can compensate for brute strength.
Shaneen
Shaneen rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2009
DaNae
DaNae rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
K Crane
K Crane rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2008
Miss Becker
Miss Becker rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Annie Palmer
Annie Palmer rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Chris
Aug 11, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! A dog the size of a watch out-wits the robber.
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2008
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Lance Agena
Lance Agena rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2008
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2008
Feb 06, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great story. Illustrations aren't my favorite style, but they fit perfectly.
Readergirl77
Readergirl77 rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
May 17, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born and raised in Utah, Walton is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormon Church. He served as a missionary to Brazil from 1976 to 1978, soon after he graduated from high school. Later, at Brigham Young University, he became president of the Brazil Club. In 1980, he graduated from Brigham Young with a bachelor's degree in Spanish and a minor in Portuguese, the ...more
More about Rick Walton...