Start by marking “The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia” as Want to Read:
The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia

The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia

When Adam started kindergarten, the teacher wanted him to learn about letters. But "p" looked like "q," and "b" looked like "d." In first grade, he had to put the letters into words so he could read. That was the beginning of the Alphabet War.
Published January 1st 2004 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about The Alphabet War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alphabet War

Megan
Being a Special education teacher, I enjoyed this book and felt that I was reading about many of my students. The story is about a boy named Adam, who is having trouble learning letters and sounds, and being able to put those together to make words and read. His teachers show concern and they put a plan in place for him. He is given a special teacher that helps him learn differently and to make the connections when letters/sounds are put together. Though it is challenging for Adam, he makes prog ...more
Erin Ramai
The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia is appropriate for students in Kindergarten through third grade.

This book tells the story of Adam, who when he was little, loved to have his mother read to him. But as he gets older, he finds that reading on his own is a struggle. The p’s look like q’s and the b’s look like d’s. By the time he is in first grade, every day he goes to school is like a war against words. Each time his teacher or tutor tries to get him to make progress, he says, “I can’t do t
Desiree Kulewsky
Aug 26, 2013 Desiree Kulewsky rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10-library-books
Overall, this was a very cute book. Kids will be able to learn about dyslexia and relate to it if they have it. My favorite part of the book was that every time the child said he couldnt do it there was always someone telling hime he could. By the end of the book he believed in himself and was able to read. Him and his classmates learned that not everone learns and sees things the same way. I liked this book but it was kind of slow.
Nicole
This book is a great account of a child struggling with "the alphabet war" that accompanies dyslexia. I really appreciated the context, and how the author attempted to express what changed and became more difficult through the student's years in early elementary (PK-3). At the same time, it was a bit ambitious to account for each grade because they really only got about a page.
Demi Clark
Mar 23, 2016 Demi Clark rated it it was amazing
An inclusive book with a focus on dyslexia. Within this emotional filled book it follows two boys called Walter and Adam who loved his mother reading to him. But as he gets older and independent he found reading difficult creating a war with words. Highlighting common dyslexia traits the p’s looks like q’s and the b’s look like d’s, not relating the words he saw on the page. School life was difficult for Adam as it is for many children with dyslexia or undiagnosed. Throughout the book Adam conti ...more
Lisa
Nov 09, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book takes you on a journey filled with emotion.It is the story of a young boy who finds it incredibly difficult to relate to the words that he sees on a page. The story compares the development of two boys - Adam and Walter, who started 'kindergarten' at the same age. Adam found it very difficult to see letters the way everybody else could see them. He would let his imagination take over instead and think of better things. Walter on the other hand seemed to be progressing well.However,this ...more
Dana Snyder
Oct 02, 2012 Dana Snyder rated it really liked it
This narrative is told through Adam, a boy with Dyslexia and his challenges that he overcomes on a daily basis living with Dyslexia. When Adam was little he loved to sit with his mother and listen to her read him stories, he would close his eyes and imagine himself in the story. As Adam progressed throughout school he would finds various ways to "block out" when it came time to read. The alphabet looks too similar to Adam, he is confused about the letters b and d , p and q; because they look so ...more
Brian Breese
Apr 28, 2013 Brian Breese added it
Shelves: edre-4870
What?: Adam has dyslexia and struggles to read and keep up with his friend, Walter, who can read a two-hundred-page chapter book. This story focuses on Adam’s talents and his overcoming, not only his reading struggles, but also his attitude toward learning to read.

So What?: Students can benefit from Adam’s story even if they don’t have dyslexia. They will realize that attitude is a vital component to learning. Those who might have dyslexia will learn that with extra help they too can learn to re
Kristy
Apr 21, 2013 Kristy rated it really liked it
This book is for anyone who has ever wondered what is was like to struggle with Dyslexia. Adam is a typical elementary school child with the desire and passion to learn how to read, however, he lacks the ability to process the information he is reading like the other children in his classroom.The illustrations in this book are vivid and colorful and it is impossible not to cheer Adam on as he wins the battle against words. This book is a great book for discussing dyslexia, it will give the reade ...more
Chandler Cash
Feb 04, 2015 Chandler Cash rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I thought this book gave a wonderful account of what a child with Dyslexia goes through and a very frank first person view. It described his frustration and fear, along with his anger and insecurity in a way that made you think back to a time you have felt the same way, and gave you sympathy towards the character. It also showed the reader and the boy, Adam, that he was something more than just his dyslexia, that it wasn't what defined him as a person.

For a classroom use, I think this would be
Kristy Lange
The Alphabet War is a story about a boy with dyslexia. In kindergarten, Adam is supposed to learn all of his letters, but to him, a “d” looks like a “b,” and a “q” looks like a “p.” In first grade, he has to learn how to put the letters together into words in order to read, and that is how the Alphabet War began. He eventually discovers that with help, hard work, and belief in himself, he can win the Alphabet War that started during his earliest days of elementary school.
The Alphabet War would
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Adam is introduced to readers as a young boy who struggles with reading. As he makes his way to kindergarten and the early grades it becomes clear that he is more than struggling with reading, he has a learning disability--dyslexia. Adam is initially discouraged and his resistance to reading becomes the alphabet war.

Adam experiences many tough emotions throughout this book. I think children with dyslexia will be able to relate to a one or two of his feelings but Adam's story is very sad and dep
Jessie
May 22, 2015 Jessie rated it it was amazing
This book tells our sons story almost to the T. Each year of school he experienced many of the same things as the boy from this story did. I especially like how it is written from the kids perspective. My son would always say that there was something in his head, stopping him from reading. I thought he was just being stubborn or creatively getting out of it. Now I know how wrong I was. Through this simple book I have gained much sympathy, perspective and understanding for my own child and where ...more
Kim
Sep 03, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
I liked this children's book, but parents should not read it to younger kids who have good attitudes about their dyslexia. It's about a little boy who is not diagnosed until later in grade school, and he's unhappy. It's perfect for a kid in the same situation, but if your child has been diagnosed early and is positive about whatever interventions you are undertaking, don't read this to him/her. It will just skew their attitude toward thinking dyslexia is a terrible thing. And really? It's not.
Misty
Apr 10, 2011 Misty rated it really liked it
Shelves: testing, self-esteem
This book is about a boy named Adam who has Dyslexia. Reading and writing are a big struggle for him. He believed that he would never be able to do it. Finally he got with the right people who gave him the confidence to believe that he could do anything. He would just have to try a little harder. And he did! This book also shows that you may not be the best at traditional testing but there are other ways you can shine. Anyone can succeed if they want it bad enough!
Arnetha
Oct 12, 2015 Arnetha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This is a Wonderful book explaining Dyslexia. All teacher should read. And since it's a easy quick read, if the teacher has any students in their class with dyslexia this book would be great to read to the class so they can understand what their class mate is going through. I have Dyslexia, but when I was in school my teachers never knew I was Dyslexic.
Casey
A great book about dyslexia. Students often have difficulties with letters/words and this book is a realistic account of one students struggle. Good example of giving students a chance to excel. "Once he stopped noticing what he couldn't do, he began to see everything he could."
Heather
Oct 24, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I read this to my newly-identified dyslexic son. He related to Adam in some ways and was thrilled that Adam wins the war in the end. My older son, who is a voracious reader, read it also. He said reading this book gave him another perspective on his little brother.
The Styling Librarian
Mar 10, 2013 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
The Alphabet War - A Story About Dyslexia by Diane Burton Robb, illustrated by Gail Piazza - I thought this was a good presentation about dyslexia/impact on reading skills and challenges. Lovely story with a boy who worked hard for the success of reading.
BreElle
Sep 06, 2016 BreElle rated it really liked it
Shelves: final
Contemporary Realistic Fiction

This would be an awesome book for the classroom to teach about disabilities and being understanding. It is also a wonderful example of perseverance and having a positive mindset, especially when things are hard.
Siomara
Feb 05, 2015 Siomara rated it it was amazing
This book is great for kids with learning disabilities who need support and encouragement. The main character thought he would never be able to read, and thought he was dumb. Along the way he finds out he just learns differently and is very intelligent.
Lacey Mcmanaway
Great book that showcases dyslexia. It is important to have books to reference back to on learning disablities. A lot of students struggle with letters. This is a good book to show them that it is ok.
Hayley Imbler
Nov 26, 2016 Hayley Imbler rated it really liked it
DIVERSE
I felt that this was a really great book for teaching diversity among learners. This book could be a really great tool for helping kids who don't know about dyslexia to understand what difficulties it can cause.
ReadingWench
Great book for a child who is struggling with dyslexia. It reenforces the child isn't dumb, they just need to learn in a different way.

AR 4.1
SouthWestZippy
Jan 18, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing
Great story!
Tessa
Dec 03, 2016 Tessa rated it really liked it
This is a book about a stubborn kid who doesn't want to learn or likes to learn so he throws a bunch of fits and finally in the end he embraces learning and school and loves it.
Becky Jamieson
Picture Book: Not bad at explaining the feeling of a kid with dyslexia. But it has to many words on the page if it expects kids with dyslexia to read it.
Alana
Sep 20, 2016 Alana rated it really liked it
PICTURE BOOK This was a good story for teaching kids you can overcome your individual challenges. The pictures were representative of how the child felt.
DeeAnn
DeeAnn rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013