Start by marking “The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia” as Want to Read:
The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia

The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When Adam started kindergarten, the teacher wanted him to learn about letters. But "p" looked like "q," and "b" looked like "d." In first grade, he had to put the letters into words so he could read. That was the beginning of the Alphabet War.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 1/1/2004 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 7 and Up
Published January 1st 2004 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Alphabet War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alphabet War

Megan
Being a Special education teacher, I enjoyed this book and felt that I was reading about many of my students. The story is about a boy named Adam, who is having trouble learning letters and sounds, and being able to put those together to make words and read. His teachers show concern and they put a plan in place for him. He is given a special teacher that helps him learn differently and to make the connections when letters/sounds are put together. Though it is challenging for Adam, he makes prog ...more
Erin Ramai
The Alphabet War: A Story about Dyslexia is appropriate for students in Kindergarten through third grade.

This book tells the story of Adam, who when he was little, loved to have his mother read to him. But as he gets older, he finds that reading on his own is a struggle. The p’s look like q’s and the b’s look like d’s. By the time he is in first grade, every day he goes to school is like a war against words. Each time his teacher or tutor tries to get him to make progress, he says, “I can’t do t
Desiree Kulewsky
Overall, this was a very cute book. Kids will be able to learn about dyslexia and relate to it if they have it. My favorite part of the book was that every time the child said he couldnt do it there was always someone telling hime he could. By the end of the book he believed in himself and was able to read. Him and his classmates learned that not everone learns and sees things the same way. I liked this book but it was kind of slow.
Chandler Cash
I thought this book gave a wonderful account of what a child with Dyslexia goes through and a very frank first person view. It described his frustration and fear, along with his anger and insecurity in a way that made you think back to a time you have felt the same way, and gave you sympathy towards the character. It also showed the reader and the boy, Adam, that he was something more than just his dyslexia, that it wasn't what defined him as a person.

For a classroom use, I think this would be
Dana Snyder
This narrative is told through Adam, a boy with Dyslexia and his challenges that he overcomes on a daily basis living with Dyslexia. When Adam was little he loved to sit with his mother and listen to her read him stories, he would close his eyes and imagine himself in the story. As Adam progressed throughout school he would finds various ways to "block out" when it came time to read. The alphabet looks too similar to Adam, he is confused about the letters b and d , p and q; because they look so ...more
Brian Breese
Apr 28, 2013 Brian Breese added it
Shelves: edre-4870
What?: Adam has dyslexia and struggles to read and keep up with his friend, Walter, who can read a two-hundred-page chapter book. This story focuses on Adam’s talents and his overcoming, not only his reading struggles, but also his attitude toward learning to read.

So What?: Students can benefit from Adam’s story even if they don’t have dyslexia. They will realize that attitude is a vital component to learning. Those who might have dyslexia will learn that with extra help they too can learn to re
Kristy
This book is for anyone who has ever wondered what is was like to struggle with Dyslexia. Adam is a typical elementary school child with the desire and passion to learn how to read, however, he lacks the ability to process the information he is reading like the other children in his classroom.The illustrations in this book are vivid and colorful and it is impossible not to cheer Adam on as he wins the battle against words. This book is a great book for discussing dyslexia, it will give the reade ...more
Kristy Lange
The Alphabet War is a story about a boy with dyslexia. In kindergarten, Adam is supposed to learn all of his letters, but to him, a “d” looks like a “b,” and a “q” looks like a “p.” In first grade, he has to learn how to put the letters together into words in order to read, and that is how the Alphabet War began. He eventually discovers that with help, hard work, and belief in himself, he can win the Alphabet War that started during his earliest days of elementary school.
The Alphabet War would
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Adam is introduced to readers as a young boy who struggles with reading. As he makes his way to kindergarten and the early grades it becomes clear that he is more than struggling with reading, he has a learning disability--dyslexia. Adam is initially discouraged and his resistance to reading becomes the alphabet war.

Adam experiences many tough emotions throughout this book. I think children with dyslexia will be able to relate to a one or two of his feelings but Adam's story is very sad and dep
Jessie
This book tells our sons story almost to the T. Each year of school he experienced many of the same things as the boy from this story did. I especially like how it is written from the kids perspective. My son would always say that there was something in his head, stopping him from reading. I thought he was just being stubborn or creatively getting out of it. Now I know how wrong I was. Through this simple book I have gained much sympathy, perspective and understanding for my own child and where ...more
Kim
I liked this children's book, but parents should not read it to younger kids who have good attitudes about their dyslexia. It's about a little boy who is not diagnosed until later in grade school, and he's unhappy. It's perfect for a kid in the same situation, but if your child has been diagnosed early and is positive about whatever interventions you are undertaking, don't read this to him/her. It will just skew their attitude toward thinking dyslexia is a terrible thing. And really? It's not.
Misty
This book is about a boy named Adam who has Dyslexia. Reading and writing are a big struggle for him. He believed that he would never be able to do it. Finally he got with the right people who gave him the confidence to believe that he could do anything. He would just have to try a little harder. And he did! This book also shows that you may not be the best at traditional testing but there are other ways you can shine. Anyone can succeed if they want it bad enough!
Casey
A great book about dyslexia. Students often have difficulties with letters/words and this book is a realistic account of one students struggle. Good example of giving students a chance to excel. "Once he stopped noticing what he couldn't do, he began to see everything he could."
Heather
I read this to my newly-identified dyslexic son. He related to Adam in some ways and was thrilled that Adam wins the war in the end. My older son, who is a voracious reader, read it also. He said reading this book gave him another perspective on his little brother.
Siomara
This book is great for kids with learning disabilities who need support and encouragement. The main character thought he would never be able to read, and thought he was dumb. Along the way he finds out he just learns differently and is very intelligent.
The Styling Librarian
The Alphabet War - A Story About Dyslexia by Diane Burton Robb, illustrated by Gail Piazza - I thought this was a good presentation about dyslexia/impact on reading skills and challenges. Lovely story with a boy who worked hard for the success of reading.
Lacey Mcmanaway
Great book that showcases dyslexia. It is important to have books to reference back to on learning disablities. A lot of students struggle with letters. This is a good book to show them that it is ok.
ReadingWench
Great book for a child who is struggling with dyslexia. It reenforces the child isn't dumb, they just need to learn in a different way.

AR 4.1
Darlene Andre
Great story showing what it is like for a child with dyslexia. I may use it as a read aloud.
Carolyn Payton
Carolyn Payton marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
kristin van steenburg
kristin van steenburg marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Shefali Thaman
Shefali Thaman marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Megan Osowski
Megan Osowski marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Brittany Sumner
Brittany Sumner marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015