Start by marking “A Little Bit of Charm (New Beginnings, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Little Bit of Charm (New Beginnings, #3)

A Little Bit of Charm (New Beginnings #3)

A Little Bit of Charm, the third book in bestselling author Mary Ellis's New Beginnings series, is about fresh starts...and how faith in God and His perfect plans provide the peace and joy all long for.

Published September 1st 2013 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Little Bit of Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Bit of Charm

Natalie
Nov 22, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is good. I really enjoyed it. I will miss the series if it's over. Highly recommended if you've read the other two.
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Mar 28, 2015 Ibjoy1953 Hannabass rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

With her older sisters married and having a home of their own, Rachel King’s life was a pretty lonely one. She lives with her cousin Sarah, after losing their parents to a horrible house fire. When a job became available at Twelve Elms Stables, this was a dream come true for Rachel. She now lives in a little Amish community called Charm, Kentucky, but Rachel wasn’t expecting to be ‘charmed’ by the Englisch stable owner like she was. But what could become of a relationship
Rachel Brand
Following the tragic death of her parents, Rachel King remained with her grandparents and younger sister in Pennsylvania while her two older sisters forged new lives for themselves in Maine and Missouri. Although she longs to settle down and marry, she doesn’t feel comfortable attending singings and courting local Amish men when she can’t shake the memories of the fire that took her parents’ lives. In desperate need of a change of location, Rachel sets out to visit a Mennonite relative in ...more
Mercedes Cordero
Sep 13, 2013 Mercedes Cordero rated it really liked it
This story broke my heart constantly and consistently in a sweet, beautiful way. Jake’s yearning for Rachel is painful to read as their love is forbidden: she is Amish, he is an Englisher, and not a very Christian Englisher. But to see him so in love and crazy about her was heartbreaking. Part of me wanted to root for him, and part of me was afraid to do so because I didn't want to get too attached knowing that in the end, they might not get together. And that is the reason why A Little Bit of ...more
Deborah
Dec 03, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it

After the death of her parents and then watching both of her older sisters find happiness in homes of their own with husbands who adore them, Rachel King yearns for a new beginning. Her cousin Sarah lives near a thoroughbred stable in Kentucky, and working around beautiful horses is Rachel's dream
Brenda
Sep 09, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
New beginnings are often hard to predict, but after the death of her parents in a housefire change is all that twenty year old Rachel King can think about. It's hard to leave her younger sister Beth and grandparents behind in PA but decides to head to Kentucky to live with her aunt Sarah in the hopes of fulfilling her dream of working with horses. When she lands a job giving tours at Twelve Elms Stables, she couldn't be happier, and soon finds herself in a friendship with Jake Brady the owners ...more
Cheri Swalwell
Jul 30, 2013 Cheri Swalwell rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading A Little Bit of Charm, book #3 in The New Beginning Series by Ms. Mary Ellis. Wow - I have so thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Amy and Nora, from book #1 and #2, and this book about Rachel’s journey was just as spectacular. I love how Ms. Ellis has created such unique personalities for each and every one of the sisters, as though they were a real family down the street where I live.

When I started reading this book, I was amazed how once again God did it. The the
Apr 05, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: A LITTLE BIT OF CHARM
Author: Mary Ellis
Publisher: Harvest House
September 2013
ISBN: 978-0736938686
Genre Amish Romance
Series: New Beginnings series

Rachel King has always wanted to work with horses, but when her handsome boss sweeps her off her feet, she starts to doubt everything in life, including her Amish faith. Horse breeder and trainer, Jake Brady dreams of winning the Kentucky Derby with his new colt. But how much is he willing to risk for a chance at fame and fortune? A Little Bit of
Emma
Apr 22, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing
A Little Bit of Charm by Mary Ellis
the third book in bestselling author Mary Ellis’s New Beginnings series, is about fresh starts…and how faith in God and His perfect plans provide the peace and joy all long for. After the death of her parents and then watching both of her older sisters find happiness in homes of their own with husbands who adore them, Rachel King yearns for a new beginning. Her cousin Sarah lives near a thoroughbred stable in Kentucky, and working around beautiful horses is Ra
Norma
Jan 03, 2014 Norma rated it it was amazing
I my honest opinion is this is a great love story an struggle between strong Amish and Baptist belief. Rachel King an Amish girl always wanted to work with horses. Rachel left Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, after her parents were kill in a fire. She went to live with her cousin a Mennonite Sarah and her husband Isaac Stoll who lived near a Thoroughbred stable in Kentucky. Sarah and Isaac had a chicken farm, but Rachel and the chicken didn't get along! When Rachel went and applied for a job at ...more
D.J.
Mar 20, 2015 D.J. rated it it was amazing

Oh, how I hate to see this series end…

After getting to know Amy and Nora, now we get to know Rachel. After losing their parents in a house fire, they’ve each grown and matured – and their journeys have taken them from Lancaster to Harmony, Maine… Paradise, Missouri… and Charm, Kentucky.

I’m hoping Mary will write another sequel with Beth, the youngest King daughter – it would also be a great time to catch us up on what’s happening with Amy, Nora and Rachel, too.

Mary Ellis did such a fabulous job
Lis K
Aug 09, 2016 Lis K rated it really liked it
I had never read a book by this author before so I didn't know what to expect but I was pretty surprised by the humor laced throughout this book. Rachel King is a very likable young woman, trying to find her way in the world after the unexpected death of her parents. Jake Brady is also trying to find his way in the world, putting all his effort and money towards raising a Kentucky Derby winner. They both like each other but the Amish vs. the Englisch world is a major hurdle between them. I ...more
Anne Campbell
Feb 19, 2014 Anne Campbell rated it it was amazing
This is a romance I think you'll enjoy. I'd give it a solid four and a half thumbs up.

Rachel King has concocted a crazy plan, one that could get her in trouble with her Amish and Mennonite family. Plain folks don't hold with Amish girls wearing blue jeans and T-shirts.

She hasn't been baptised yet, and technically that means she is allowed a bit of leeway, but still... Still, she wants so much to work with those horses in Kentucky. If only she can get work on a ranch. And she can. And the boss is
Fv
Jan 01, 2014 Fv rated it it was ok
OK book, OK story. But the Plain life, snobbery, was so heavy it sickened me.

Plain folks are the only ones that can give gifts, well decent gifts according to the story. The wedding gifts given were picked apart when it came to "Englisher" gifts, but the Plain gifts were not picked apart.

Plain faith are the only ones that have faith, the rest of us do not.

But I figured it out, we Englishers have stronger faith, we live in the world where we have to rub elbows with those that do not
have fait
Terri Wangard
Jun 02, 2014 Terri Wangard rated it really liked it
Rachel loves horses and leaves her home in Lancaster County in her desire to work with Thoroughbreds. She finds a job she loves in Charm, Kentucky. Equally enticing is her boss, Jake Brady, and he likes her. She shouldn't encourage him. After all, he's an Englisher and she's happy being Amish. Surely being friends is okay, and maybe a kiss or two. She visits the Baptist church with Jake and is entranced. Baptist, Amish, they're both Christian. Why should it matter which church one attends?
Jake w
Paula-O
Aug 26, 2015 Paula-O rated it really liked it
Series The New Beginnings book #3"A Little Bit of Charm" by Mary Ellis

This book tells the story of Rachel King who has a love of horses, she goes to Ky to stay with a cousin Sarah for awhile and finds a job doing tours at a horse ranch there and thinks she has found her niche. When she starts to have attraction to the son of the owner Jake, she knows this may lead to trouble for an Amish girl like herself.
She sheds her amish clothes for jeans to work in and before long thinks it is ok to go out
Ginger Solomon
Sep 10, 2013 Ginger Solomon rated it really liked it
A Little Bit of Charm is the third book in The New Beginnings series. It is not necessary to have read books one and two to understand this novel. It actually has very little to do with those books except a few references to events in the past.

While I found the story charming, it was also a bit slow for me. The conflict was mostly internal, when it occurred. I didn't connect with Jake or Rachel--despite my love for all things horses--which made it hard for me to "get into" their story. Throughou
Lynda
Jul 20, 2016 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Just finished A Little Bit of Charm by Mary Ellis. It's #3 in The New Beginnings Series. Those who have read #1 and #2 will get a micro-mini-update of the key characters in those books.

The plot of this book was just a bit far-fetched (mho-oc) but the author did a good job of making it as believable as possible. Rachel is likable throughout. Jake -- well, I just find it hard to believe that he struck out at dating so many times.

At times you'll find the character Sarah, Rachel's cousin, to be not
Pegg
Nov 28, 2013 Pegg rated it really liked it
Rachel King loves working with horses, but not like most Amish girls do. She wants to ride thoroughbreds. Riding in an Amish dress isn't exactly practical. When Rachel takes a job at a thoroughbred horse farm, she doesn't expect to fall for the horseman as well as the horses.

An avid horse racing fan, I cringed at the repeated mention of yearling races. Yearlings don't race. Horses are started racing as 2-year-olds. But it doesn't bother the story or the romance between Rachel and Jake.

The faith
Darlene Torday
Aug 08, 2016 Darlene Torday rated it really liked it
Lorie
Sep 05, 2013 Lorie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. I live close to Casey County in KY and that made this book all the more interesting to me. I think I like the earlier books in the series more than this one. I think that is because the other books were more about an Amish community. This one was about a Mennonite Community but we see more of the English world at the horse farm. I also really liked the addition of the polio theme among the plain and trying to get them to get the vaccinations. Overall really cute story.
Patricia Hullet
May 27, 2014 Patricia Hullet rated it really liked it
A good story by Mary Ellis. This is the third book of the New Beginnings series. I was happy with the ending except for one thing (which I won't reveal here, don't want to spoil the book for anyone). Rachel King, the main character has to decide if she will remain Amish or follow her heart and marry Jake Brady an Englischer. Jake has to come to terms with his own life on the family ranch and what is truly important to him. Not sure if this is the last in the series but the ending does leave it ...more
Lois Klobucher
Jul 03, 2013 Lois Klobucher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Mary Ellis has another Great Book once you start this book you will not want to put it down until the very last page then you will want it to go on, Even if you did not read the first 2 book you will be able to follow the story, it is fantastic. This book shows you that there is Power in Prayer and that God is with you always.
Rachel wants a new beginning and she finds it you will love this book. and the chicken recipe at the end is awesome
Rachel
Nov 07, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
This was a nice Amish story even if quite predictable. We all know that Rachel is going to turn English and marry Jake but it takes the author quite awhile to complete the story. Lots of horse information that you would have to be a horse owner to understand. Would prefer a more truly Amish book.
Betty
Jan 24, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This is a great read . I have read the other two. In this book Rachel visit her cousin in Kentucky to work on her cousin's chicken farm but she wanted another job also ,she went to work for a handsome English man. This is where it gets exciting. Will she be able to stay true to her faith ??One of the best reads in a long time! Read it you will be glad you did.
Dorrice
Sep 09, 2013 Dorrice rated it liked it
This book was a big disappointment. I had read Vol, 1 & 2 of the New Beginnings series and expected this one to be as good. Especially at the end. It finished too abruptly, as though the author had gotten bored with her work and wanted to get it over with. There was so much more that could have been related to bring the book to a satisfying end.
Dawn
Oct 21, 2013 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Mary Ellis. Rachel King decides to stay with her cousin Sarah. Rachel's love of horses leads her to a thoroughbred stable. Working closely with Jake Brady makes for some issues for Rachel. Will she follow her heart or the rules of the church. Loved the book.
Pam
Jun 10, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it
I liked the heroine of this book. It was interesting to see her work in the English world but live with her Amish cousins. I thought the dilemmas this created were convincingly portrayed. The hero had a lot of growing up to do; I'm glad that was shown. It was a fun book to read.
Michele
Mar 05, 2015 Michele rated it liked it
This series was sweet, wholesome and entirley transported me away from suburban Michigan :) Perfect winter read!
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Amish Seamstress (Women of Lancaster County #4)
  • Lydia's Hope (The Lost Sisters of Pleasant Valley #1)
  • Hidden Mercies
  • A Home for Lydia (The Pebble Creek Amish, #2)
  • Katie's Journey to Love (Emma Raber's Daughter, #2)
  • A Hopeful Heart (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)
  • Fire in the Night (Lancaster Burning, #1)
  • Threads of Grace (Patch of Heaven #3)
  • In Plain View (Valley of Choice #2)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Adoring Addie (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Promise Box (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors #2)
  • His Love Endures Forever (Land of Canaan #3)
  • Whispers of a New Dawn (Snapshots in History #3)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
Mary Ellis has written twelve award-winning novels set in the Amish community and several historical romances set during the Civil War. Her latest, Midnight on the Mississippi, first of a new mystery series, Secrets of the South, is set in New Orleans. Before "retiring" to write full-time, Mary taught school and worked as a sales rep for Hershey Chocolate, a job with amazingly sweet fringe ...more
More about Mary Ellis...

New Beginnings (3 books)
  • Living in Harmony (New Beginnings, #1)
  • Love Comes to Paradise (New Beginnings, #2)