Start by marking “If I Had a Dragon” as Want to Read:
If I Had a Dragon

If I Had a Dragon

Morton's brother is too little to be any fun -- but if he were a dragon, playtime would be great...wouldn't it?
Published June 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about If I Had a Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Had a Dragon

Dragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschIf I Had a Dragon by Tom EllerySaint George and the Dragon by Margaret HodgesA Dignity of Dragons by Jacqueline K. Ogburn
Picture Books About Dragons
3rd out of 143 books — 22 voters
The Tale of Custard the Dragon by Ogden NashDragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinWaking Dragons by Jane YolenSaint George and the Dragon by Margaret HodgesHow to Dress a Dragon by Thelma Lynne Godin
Picture Books Featuring Dragons
34th out of 49 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Savannah Wilson
Sep 20, 2012 Savannah Wilson rated it really liked it
If I Had a Dragon is a cute book about learning to appreciating your siblings. If a child is struggling with wanting to play or talk to or just spend time with their sibling this book is a good match! I think how it shows all the things the boy in the book has planned for himself and the dragon just to show that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. This is a humorous book that children will find very funny. The age group for If I Had a Dragon would be no more than around second ...more
Darren
Mar 18, 2014 Darren rated it really liked it
Morton doesn't want to play with his baby brother, who he thinks is too small to be any fun. He imagines if he had a dragon instead, and, sweetly, discovers maybe baby brothers aren't so bad after all.
Ralf Urbach
Oct 12, 2013 Ralf Urbach rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-choice
My son loves dragons so this was right in his wheelhouse! Good combo of wording and illustrations, to create his dragon friend. This was an easy read for him, and he after reading pretended to have his own dragon which we kept in the garage.
Sidney
Oct 01, 2016 Sidney rated it it was amazing
This book is about Morton and how he doesn't want to play with his brother. He wishes his little brother was a dragon. A dragon seems like it would be fun to play with, but after thinking Morton realizes that he would rather play with his little brother. This book is awesome because it is in both English and Spanish. It also is something that a lot of little kids think of turning their brother or sister into something more fun. This is a silly story that will put a smile on your face.
Dani
Nov 26, 2016 Dani rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids with Littler Siblings
Morton would rather play with a dragon than his little brother... He thinks about all of the situations where a companion would be cool and none of them suit a dragon...

I loved this book because it really made my nephew think. We talked about each of the situations Morton proposed and whether he would rather have a dragon or a sibling. We really loved the drawings too! He didn't really understand the story at first but the drawings sucked him it and as we got to the end he got the point of the s
Crystal
Sep 28, 2016 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: way-storytime
Basic and simple. Kids liked guessing how each scenario was going to work out though this would have been easier with a smaller crowd since some of the pages were more of a "look and understand" than expressly written. I had to make up some of my own dialogue so the kids in the farthest row back understood what was going on.
Craig
Aug 04, 2016 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was originally written by Mr. and Mrs. Ellery, and then later translated into Spanish by Teresa Mlawer. This version retains the English alongside the Spanish text. I have heard good stories about emergent bilinguals finding success reading bilingual books, but I have actually never observed this. I have observed that providing the L1 with the L2 can often times lead to slower development of the L2. I would like to see more examples of how teachers have used bilingual books ...more
Whole And
Morton is strongly told to 'play with his younger brother!' But Morton doesn't feel that would be fun. He would rather play with a dragon. His imaginary journey takes him on all kinds of adventures thinking about what he could do with a dragon! Until he realizes the mere size of the dragon would often be problematic, not to mention his fiery whistles! Bringing himself back through his journey, Morton arrives safely to the sandbox with his little brother, ready to play.

Fun for a child who loves d
Chris
Dec 08, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Ellery, Amanda and Tom - If I Had a Dragon -Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2006.
**This is a simple story about a little boy who doesn’t want to play with his little brother, instead wishing for a dragon. He dreams up all kinds of fun things he could do with a dragon, only to realize that doing these things with a dragon might not be so fun after all. In the end, he realizes that he doesn’t really want a dragon and decides to go play with his little brother instead. Simple, but col
Karen
Nov 11, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
My very-nearly-five-year-old son picked this book out from our local library last week. He picked it out because of the dragon.

My son is an only child, so he didn't really understand a little boy wanting to trade his younger brother for a dragon. There are days, however, when he probably would be pretty happy to trade one of the cats for a dragon. Until he realized that dragons are even more difficult, and difficult to care for, than cats. Like the little boy in the book, he decided that his li
Heather
Aug 05, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
This is a book that I will need to revisit when William is a little older (he is now just shy of 3 years old). He didn't really understand the difficulties that Morton has with his dinosaur - as many of the situations require inferencing through the illustrations. And yet he did enjoy the story overall - simply for the sake of the dinosaur pictures. I appreciated the final images of Morton running home and playing with his little brother - certainly a message I like for William with Noah now ...more
Lindsay
This is a cute bilingual (Spanish/English) story about a little boy named Matín (Morton in English) who wishes that his baby brother were a dragon. Martín imagines all the fun things he and the dragon would do while also showing us the pitfalls about having such a HUGE dragon as a playmate. At the end of the story, Martín rushes home to play with his brother. Since some of the pages don't have words (or have few words), the story provides a wonderful opportunity to practice narrative skills. I ...more
Hope Johnson
This is a wonderful book for you and your children to explore together. It is a bilingual book and it has French in it. It is a cute book to teach the children that their little brothers and sisters aren't all that bad, because after all they could be a dragon. A great book to get kids using their imagination. They could think of other animals that wouldn't make such good siblings and write about it.
Mary
This was a pleasant surprise! It is the story of a little boy who wishes that his younger brother would turn into a dragon. As he considers the difficulties that could come up if he were to befriend a dragon, his opinion changes a bit.
The pictures absolutely make this story--they provide ample opportunity for dialogic reading and print motivation and are a pleasure to look at. Great for kindergarten age, especially for kids with little brothers!
Teresa
My version of this book is awesome because it is a Spanish/English book with the Spanish translations directly underneath the English. The story is a cute story about a boy wanting his little brother to be a dragon and all the fun they could have. However, as the boy goes on he realizes it would be too difficult to have a dragon and in the end wants his brother to stay the same. The Spanish being directly under the English will help students learn either language.
Jami W
Mar 19, 2015 Jami W rated it liked it
Shelves: gianna
This book was just mediocre. It was the same story of not wanting to play with a sibling, wishing they were some one or some thing else, and then realizing you're better off with an annoying snotty brother. It was still relatable for any children out there with siblings and overall enjoyable to read, just not very origional.
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A little boy is told by his mother to go play with his baby brother. He doesn't want to because his brother is too little and no fun. The little boy wishes his brother would turn into something more fun - like a dragon. But as he imagines what it would be like to play with a dragon, he comes to realize that little brothers might actually be the best fun.

Cute illustrations.
Nicole
Mar 07, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Another book with a lot of great humor (driven entirely by the illustrations). The little boy thinks playing with a dragon would be SO much better than playing with his little brother. But then he imagines all of the various scenarios and realizes that actually little brothers can be pretty fun (and dragons can be quite difficult)...
Angela
Feb 02, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute book that showed the importance of family. The book was great for beginning readers because it had few words. Even though there were very few words in the book the illustrations made the book much more entertaining. The illustrations did a good job showing what was going on in the book.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
This delightful, imaginative tale brings a boy to the realization that it might not be so bad playing with his little brother after he imagines what it would be like if he had a dragon as a playmate instead. Illustrated in a somewhat comic style with simple text, the pictures add much to the story line.
Sara ♥
Sep 16, 2009 Sara ♥ rated it really liked it
This was a nice little book about an older brother who didn't want to play with his little brother... He wished his little brother was more fun, like a dragon. And then he starts thinking about what it would really be like to play with a dragon, and realizes that the little brother option is much better... :) So it had a nice little story. 4.5 stars.
Magpie67
Brilliant imaginative thinking for a boy stuck with his baby brother to play with..... I know turn him into a dragon and then he would be much more fun until logic won out.... playing cars in the sandbox turned out to be okay too.... I read this to a little boy and we enjoyed seeing all the colorful pictures and how dragons don't really fit anywhere little boys can go.
Felicia
Jan 27, 2015 Felicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit
I chose this book because I think it would be awesome if we could all have a dragon! This book made me chuckle as the little boy ran into so many problems trying to play with a dragon. This is a great book for boys. It also shows that siblings aren't so pesky after all.
Little Bamboo
Aug 22, 2016 Little Bamboo rated it really liked it
This is a winner for boys; less words, more pictures. And as the reader, this is your chance to use your imagination. Go wild! The illustration is amazing; the storyline is just alright. Still a keeper.
Noha
Oct 17, 2011 Noha rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my 8 year old brother and we loved it a lot .. its so funny we couldn't stop laughing .. the pictures are so hilarious especially the pool picture .. thank you for this wonderful book.
Michelle
Jun 12, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Seriously, one of the cutest books ever!
Very easy read and cute pictures. One page had my kids rolling on the ground laughing and repeating the story to anyone who would listen.
Definitely going to own this one!
Wilde Sky
Jan 03, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A young boy wishes he could play with a dragon rather than he little brother but soon discovers that playing with a dragon isn’t as much fun as it sounds.

I thought this book had a good / simple story with a decent underlying message. The illustrations were excellent.
Library Quine
Dec 20, 2012 Library Quine rated it liked it
Story with economic text about a boy who wishes his younger brother was something more interesting to play with, like a dragon. Once he thinks about the ways in which a dragon plays, he begins to see the benefits of having a little brother to play with.
Shellie
May 24, 2013 Shellie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
If you are a big brother and have a little brother you are too fond of, you might enjoy reading what happens to Morton when he imagines what would happen if his little brother were a dragon.

Written and illustrated by Tom and Amanda Ellery

Yes the illustrations are fun and clever.
Samantha Penrose
Mar 04, 2012 Samantha Penrose rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A young boy thinks that his little brother is no fun to play with. He fantasizes about having a dragon as a playmate instead. After a bit of thought on the matter, he decides that his little brother is a more practical playmate than a giant, cumbersome dragon.
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • When a Dragon Moves In
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • Meeow and the Little Chairs
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • I Like Me!
  • Bear about Town
  • What Pet To Get?
  • Don't You Feel Well, Sam?
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book