Start by marking “Clarice Bean, That's Me” as Want to Read:
Clarice Bean, That's Me

Clarice Bean, That's Me (Clarice Bean #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  646 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Lauren Child evokes the (mostly) joyful chaos of family life—through the eyes of an observant young narrator.

I know lots of people, most of them in my family.
Some of them live in our house,
and some of them just visit.
We are always raising a ruckus,
but that's the way we (mostly) like it.

When your annoying little brother shares your room, your older brother is in the tunnel
Published August 4th 1999 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Clarice Bean, That's Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clarice Bean, That's Me

Aubrey
Oct 02, 2008 Aubrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is my first addition for a new children's bookshelf. I realized I'm leaving out a huge chunk of my reading material, but not accounting for the many books I read with my children. My daughter LOVES the Charlie and Lola series by Lauren Child, so she picked up this book last week at the library. It is a very cute story line; the length and vocabulary are right for her pre-reading level, but some of the content was a little over her head - there was a little name-calling and rough-housing bet ...more
Whole And
Clarice Bean has a bit of an attitude and although it gets her in trouble, it turns out she loves the quiet time.

Not so thrilled with the bit of aggressive behaviour described here, very different from the Lola and Charlie series, however, very real in many families.

Lauren Child totally delivers in the visual department, as usual.

To the parents, perhaps the out or control children need a bean bag and some quiet time before they get themselves into trouble!

The story can be used as an opener, di
Steph Bowe
Jul 26, 2015 Steph Bowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was quite convinced at the age of six that Lauren Child was actually a child. I think because her drawings seemed child-like. It also seemed logical that someone with the surname Child must be a child. Now we have Wikipedia, I have discovered she was actually born in 1965, which is a terrible disappointment. I thought she was a prodigy. I always liked that there was a lot going on in the pictures.
Ubalstecha
Clarice Bean just wants to be alone, but finding some time and a place to be alone in her house is a challenge. Clarice lives with her mother and father, shares a room with her younger brother and has an older brother and sisters too. On top of that, her grandfather lives with the family. But when living stacked on top of each other leads to a big fight, can Clarice make the best of the consequences.

A nice picture book for the primary reader who hasn't quite graduated to to the chapter book. Giv
Jason
Apr 28, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-cass
This book is good fun, the pictures are great and the story is funny and also pretty random, throwing potatoes into next doors garden? Whatever next!

Kids will love this book.
Angela
Best for kids ages 6 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Narrative Skills

From cover:
When your annoying little brother SHARES YOUR ROOM, your older brother is in the TUNNEL OF ADOLESCENCES, your grandad pours SOUP on his cereal, and your mother listens to foreign language tapes in a CANDLELIT BATHTUB, what do you so to get away from it all?
Meet the wickedly fabulous Clarice Bean and sympathize with her search for just a little peace and quiet amidst a family many of us will recognize only too well.

Scat
Casey
Adorable! Those these are series books, this one was great. Clarice just needs some alone time but is the youngest, has to share her room, and has a large family! The words used to describe things are fantastic, and the people in the book are hilarious and realistic. (Ex: the mom listening to whales sing in the bathtub while standing on one foot = yoga; and the older brother that's a teenager in his room with headphones on and a shirt that reads, "Shut up and go away.") A good book to read as an ...more
Charlotte
Mar 07, 2014 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a really cute story about a little girl and her thoughts are exactly like mine were when I was that age.
Sandra Magura
Mar 09, 2015 Sandra Magura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable character. Illustrations for all ages (5 - 99). A great read for kids and adults.
Black Carrie
Nov 30, 2014 Black Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i read this book with my sister and surprisingly i loved it
Jenny
Sep 28, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book and a good introduction to Clarice Bean and her family.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I wasn't blown away by this first Clarice Bean book. Perhaps that's the weight of expectations? I've read (and loved) other Lauren Child books, and this series seems particularly iconic, and has literally changed the appearance of modern illustration, and made everything a little more quirky. I will read my way through them all though.

Clarice Bean lives in a crowded house, with lots of relatives, and has to share a room with her pesky younger brother. She of course dreams of a room of her own, a
Jeanna
Aug 13, 2011 Jeanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
We generally check out a whole slew of books at the library and read them together. Sometimes we find winners, and sometimes ... not. This book had some funny moments, but the siblings are just unpleasant to one another. As I'm trying to teach my three-year-old to be kind to her little sister, I don't particularly want her hearing about siblings who tell one another to shut up, call names, and dump food on one another.

Also, frankly, I think the illustrations are ugly. Just not a style I like.
Sasha
Jan 31, 2014 Sasha is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clarice-bean
Awesome
Limau Nipis
This big sized book is a wonderful introduction about Clarice Bean. Growing up with 4 siblings and being a middle child, it is hard to find some quiet and peace.

She just wants some time alone for herself.

I found this book is entertaining for a read aloud session with the children. And it is nice because Lauren Child wrote it from Clarice's view on how she viewed her own world.
george
Aug 10, 2008 george rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calrice Bean only wants some alone time, but in her family it isn't really possible. There are people *everywhere*! Parents, grandfather, siblings, cousins, uncles, animals, and pesky neighbor boys.

Super-cute picture book about a feisty little girl. Fun fun fun and too much going on to adequately explain. Can't wait to read the others!
Rachel
Jan 02, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little bit obsessed with Lauren Child. Her whimsical and original style is so appealing and fun! The Clarice Bean chapter books are awesome too, although the illustrations aren't as much a part as they are in the picture books, of course.

"'I have this younger brother Minal Cricket. If he puts one toe over my side he is sorry.'"
A.
there is not much of a story in this one...but talking about her self, her family and friends make ones think about their own.

I like how she finally was able to find some peaceful place, but I'm not telling how:) find for yourself!

This is a book I want to buy and read over and over again.

One of her best.
LeGrand
Aug 16, 2007 LeGrand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small children and adults who love nonsense and art
Shelves: picture_books
i love lauren child (author) and i really like her clarice bean books. the artwork is great and i love her use of text as art as well. she does an excellent job of presenting the world through the eyes of a child in an amusing and playful way. i often find myself giggling like a kid when reading her books!!
Emily Rosbottom
Sep 21, 2012 Emily Rosbottom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I found the moral of this book to be the importance of family. No matter how big or how crazy, family will always be the foundation of your life. The illustrations are not only limited to the pictures, but the author also uses the words as illustrations (i.e. certain fonts for certain characters).
Angie
Mar 04, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally, totally random. 2nd graders LOVE it. I have to explain a lot of it to younger kids. But I adore it. One of my favs. Never would have found it were it not for my college roommate Emily, who bought it for me. Lauren Child has a gift. I like a lot of her books.
Moyne Crossroads
Aug 04, 2013 Moyne Crossroads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: school counselors, therapists
This charming book has keen utility for those who counsel children, such as school counselors or therapists. Clarice's quirky family helps to convey that families can be--quirky and rough around the edges; the book can assist in normalizing a child's experience.
Mirranda Rhea
This book would be all right for children to learn about in one part what happens when you get in trouble. I like this book because all Clarice Bean wants is peace and quiet. I think she did do that to her brother on purpose so she could get that.
Joe
Sep 20, 2013 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My six-year-old brought this home from school as part of her reading program. And although she could read it, she didn't get it. The content is more humorous for the parent reading with the child than the child herself.
Edna
Aug 30, 2009 Edna rated it liked it
Cleverly written observations of a middle child describing her family dynamic using large, "scratchy" and colorful illustrations with playful text-sizes and fonts. Cute book for any sister who has a little brother.
Christine Turner
A girl describes the hectic life she leads among the members of her large family, and her search for a little peace and quiet. www.hcpl.net

I like this book, but not for storytime.
J.j.
Jul 03, 2008 J.j. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little too grown for a three-year-old. Not nearly as lovable as the Charlie and Lola books or the Princess and the Pea. We're onto Hubert Horatio next!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 12, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-1001

More of the lovely Lauren Child, with her fun art and clever stories. Love the story. Love the illustrations. A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Danielle
Fairly advanced, wacky picture book about one girl's place in her family and funny stuff about each member of the household.
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • Ash Road
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • Minnow on the Say
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • Brendon Chase
  • Tüskevár
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • The Night Swimmers
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Halinka
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • Way Home
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree ...more
More about Lauren Child...

Clarice Bean (7 books)
  • My Uncle Is a Hunkle, Says Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Guess Who's Babysitting?
  • What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?
  • Utterly Me, Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean Spells Trouble
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)