Start by marking “Scorch (Croak, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scorch (Croak, #2)

Scorch (Croak #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  3,534 Ratings  ·  449 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Sixteen-year-old grim reaper Lex Bartleby tries to redeem herself among her fellow Grims by finding renegade Zara, who is indiscriminately damning souls, and stopping her once and for all.
Published September 25th 2012 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Scorch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorch

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

Lex sighed and readied her scythe. “Yeah, well, love doesn’t always beat out fear.”
“Sometimes it does,” he replied with a smile, pecking her on the nose.
“Christ, Driggs. You’re turning into a Lifetime movie.”
“Your defense mechanisms are captivating, as always.”

Aaaah this series. I am so in love with this series. I repeatedly explained in my last review that this series was perfect for when you’re busy, down, or just need a laugh. As it turns out? I’m all three. Which I also wouldn’t shut up ab
Inge
THIS is how you successfully avoid Second Book Syndrome. There is no need for those filler books in between the introduction and the finale. You can perfectly add a second book to your trilogy without losing your pace, your integrity, and everything your readers fell in love with in the first place. And Scorch manages to do that beautifully.

Case in point: even though Lex has been through a lot, she’s still the same:
"You look slammin'," Elysia told Lex. "That shirt is gorgeous on you."

"This is n
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
To read the full review, CLICK ME!

"You never touched a boob before I came here either."
"Touché." He flashed a goofy grin as Uncle Mort shoved him into his room and slammed the door. "Worth it!”

Damico, I applaud you for writing the second book in a trilogy without it suffering with a bad case of the dreaded Middle Book Syndrome.

What I liked:

- ROAD TRIP! The Juniors and Uncle Mort are
Wendy Darling
Ideally, sequels not only expand upon the stories and themes introduced in their preceding books, but they also improve upon them. Scorch does a great job of upping the stakes for a group of young grim reapers in an entertaining way, in both the action and character development departments. This sequel features tighter plotting, is faster and funnier, and makes you enjoy your time with its likable protagonists even more than you might've the first time around.

I really liked: Uncle Mort's hilario
Reut
Originally reviewed on reutreads, a young adult book blog.

The follow up to March's first installment in the Croak series, CROAK, is that rare second book that is like most middle-books in trilogies, a bridge from setup to finale, but also manages to improve on the first book. I can now safely say that CROAK and SCORCH are two of my favorite books from 2012.

While the synopsis makes it seem like most of the book takes place in DeMyse, this is pretty misleading, since it's to DeMyse that the char
TL
Jan 05, 2015 TL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay,that ending... holy crap on a few points! Figures, when I wasn't into you for the majority of the story (but still enjoying it) you go and pull a few rabbits out of your hat :-P.

But yet:

Wonderful second installment, no lagging or filler... just a good story. It took awhile for me get into it (over half the book) but the last 40-50 pages suckedme in and I couldn't read fast enough.

There's a traitor (or more) in the Grimsphere and things are unravelling. Lex is trying to find the Wrong book t
Natalie Monroe
"Wait. You mean you don't let anyone know what's happening on the outside?"

"Princess, I do what is necessary to keep order in my town. My only job is to protect my citizens. I do that by providing a luxurious, carefree lifestyle."

There we have it, folks. The Grims' version of Ba Sing Se. If you've watched Avatar: the Last Airbender, you know nothing good will come out of this arrangement.

The reason Lex and gang are in this lovely city is because they got kicked out of their own. Someone got a
Booknut
Holy reaper scythes covered in BBQ sauce - Gina Damico has done it again!

Gotta love them reapers! Especially Lex and her Damning abilities which are all like:

And I have to give a special mention to the best relationship EVER...Lex and Driggs! Seriously, every single time I spotted the word "Driggs" I was like:

Sad...but true.

:D
Bookphile
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Scorch was a really disappointing read. I was pretty excited about it, to tell you the truth. I loved Croak, I found it entertaining and rather funny. The characters were cool and the whole grim theme that was going around suited me just fine.

But this! This is simply horrible! I mean the story takes either a completely idiotic path, or a too serious one. I liked the too serious one though, I guess this was the only thing that saved Scorch from a one star rating. My main problem is with the idioc
Trudi
Silly, sweet and lots of fun, yet with a pleasing underbelly of bite. Newly minted grim reaper Lex returns in this sequel to Croak. Like most sequels worth reading, the stakes have become higher, and the world-building a little more fleshed out and fully realized.

Things I liked:

The Junior Grims of Croak actually act like normal teenagers. They don't know everything and can be impulsive and smart-mouthed. The chemistry between Lex and Driggs continues to be made of win. And while the copious mak
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
WHAT EVEN ARE THESE BOOKS??

Lex and the gang are back, complete with snark overload. Other than that, I literally don't know where to start or really what to say -- I despise Norwood and Heloise, Zara has really gone off the deep end, and I'm not the biggest fan of Ferbus in this book. He really needs to get over himself. Or whatever his issue is.

It was cool getting to see somewhere besides Croak in this book (because as much as I LOVE Croak, when you know there are other cities out there like th
~Tina~
May 30, 2012 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why, but I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out what to say about this one.
Scorch is an amazing sequel, much better then the first. I admit, I read the first book so fast that it got dulled down by all the morbidness. There is only so much death I can stomach. So learning from my mistake, I took my time with this book and enjoyed it for everything it gave us.
The plot line steps up a notch. Zara is still on the lose with her new found damning powers that Lex kindagaveher.
Giulia
Highly enjoyable book with amazing plot twists and a killer ending: Gina Damico has really stepped up her game. I can't wait to read Rogue!
Heidi
Jul 14, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Three and half stars: The stakes are higher in this darker toned sequel.

It has been three weeks since the traumatic revelation of the Croak traitor and murderer. Lex and Uncle Mort are on a cross country road trip to retrieve some new junior recruits. Lex is not okay and her anger simmers inside. She is determined to track down the killer. Once she arrives back in Croak, Lex is relieved to find that Driggs and her friends are still on her side. Unfortunately, the rest of the town seems to be be
Wart Hill
3.5 Stars

I did enjoy this, but it was a bit shaky in spots. Most notably, Sofi. WTF? Everything with her felt like it came out of left field. I realize she had a crush on Driggs, but in book one she never seemed all that upset about the prospect of Lex and Driggs winding up together, so everything there just had me rolling my eyes.

On top of that, the villains kind of turned caricature-y, especially Norwood and Heloise, which was frustrating.

But overall I did enjoy it and I'm looking forward to r
Nafia Zalal
I. fucking. loved. it. <3
Bonnie
Really, really good.
Reading book 3 immediately.
Jenni Arndt
Sep 20, 2013 Jenni Arndt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased-own
My hopes were really high going into Scorch after having loved Croak immensely and I was not let down at all. Sure this one didn’t feel like it packed quite the same punch as Croak did, but I think that can be said about any middle book. They start out with a bang, keep you entertained in the second book and then in the third they go out with the bang that you remember from the first.

Once again we are met with an extremely lovable cast of characters. Lex is back and snarky as ever and her relat
Helen
I honestly don't understand why this series is more popular. It hits Twilight and other sappy, lame books like that right out of the park! (Sorry for the offence, Twi-Hards. But that's how I feel.)

The characters are very lovable, the plot and world-building has an surprising amount of complexity and the writing is fluffy but is not afraid to get dirty and bloody.

Lex has changed a bit since Croak (book #1). Some of her sassy snark is gone, and she's gotten a bit more serious about stuff. Her twin
Natalie
Have you ever read a book that you cant help but love? A book thats characters are smart mouthed and damaged and strong and so perfectly un-perfect you cant help but fall in love with them over and over again (yes, even the bad guys). A book thats plot is so well thought out, and intricatly woven that it has you biting you nails even though you are wearing nail polish and has you mad at youself that you didnt see "it" coming sooner. A book, so funny that you find yourself smiling stupidly in the ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Thank you to Around The World ARC Tours for allowing me to read this ARC. I read Croak and I liked it. I was not really sure a second book was needed but hey I am not an author I am a reader. So I decided to give Scorch a go. I'm glad I did because Croak is action packed and full of surprises.

Lex is a teenage grim reaper who can damn souls. She has a unique quality to her and all she wants to do is blend in with her fellow students. See after accidentally giving away her ability to Zara Lex beco
Jessica

Holy.Shit. Remember when I said that book one had a juvenile feel to it? Well, this certainly doesn't apply to the sequel. Things just got a whole lot more serious all of the sudden. After the happy (almost fluffy) and fun read that Croak was I never in a million years expected to find myself perched at the edge of my seat, heart beating wildly and full out sobbing while reading the sequel Scorch. I'm amazed at how attached I got to all of these wonderful characters; Mort, Lex and Drigg
Trisha
Sep 27, 2015 Trisha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love book 1 so I don't think it's a huge shock that I didn't love book 2. I found something things funny but most of the slang and silly remarks were just distracting.
Hanka
Aug 28, 2013 Hanka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2013
what the f was that ending? i can't believe what i just read. you better fix it all, Gina Damico or else... damn, damn, damn... one hell of a ride, this book, one hell of a ride, indeed.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally posted on A Reader of Fictions.

Gina Damico's Croak ranks as one of the funniest books I've ever read. She has this great, dark, absurdist sense of humor that I cannot get enough of. She has a way of making even the weirdest things sound believable. As such, Scorch was one of my most anticipated books and I was lucky enough to get an ARC at BEA. While, I didn't fall quite as in love with Scorch, though I cannot put my finger on quite why, it's still a wonderful sequel, hilarious and sa
Hylary Locsin
Originally posted on my blog: http://libraryladyhylary.blogspot.com ! Check it out for more reviews!

After Zara stole her power to Damn souls to an eternity of torment, Lex has become an outcast in Croak. The townspeople don’t seem to understand that Zara killed Lex’s sister, Cordy, to get to her and that she never meant for her power to transfer to Zara; they only know that Zara is on a murderous rampage and that Lex is responsible. Determined to put a stop to Zara’s killing spree, Lex, her frie
Kaelyn
Aug 02, 2014 Kaelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Crazy for Young A...: Scorch (Croak #2) by Gina Damico → Start Date: October 5th, 2015 37 18 Oct 24, 2015 04:41PM
Do you like the whole Lex and Driggs thing? 3 21 Dec 28, 2014 07:24PM
Lex and Driggs 12 58 Apr 19, 2014 08:41AM
scythe 2 6 May 24, 2013 06:35AM
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Perry's Killer Playlist (Perry & Gobi, #2)
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • I'll Protect You
  • A Touch Menacing (A Touch Trilogy, #3)
  • Flame (Fireborn, #1)
  • A Stranger Thing (Ever-Expanding Universe, #2)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)
  • Burn Bright (Dark Star, #2)
  • The Girl is Trouble (The Girl is Murder, #2)
  • Blackwatch (Wintercraft, #2)
  • Haze (The Rephaim, #2)
  • The Debt & The Doormat
  • The Suburban Strange
  • Hell Week (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #2)
I grew up under four feet of snow in Syracuse, New York. I received a degree in theater and sociology from Boston College, where I was active with the Committee for Creative Enactments, a murder mystery improv comedy troupe that may or may not have sparked my interest in wildly improbably bloodshed. I have since worked as a tour guide, transcriptionist, theater house manager, scenic artist, movie ...more
More about Gina Damico...

Croak (3 books)
  • Croak (Croak, #1)
  • Rogue (Croak, #3)

“Fine!" he relented, giving her a dirty look. "But only if you stay in front."
She rolled her eyes. "My, what chivalry."
"To hell with chivalry. Your idea, you die first.”
46 likes
“Driggs whispered to Lex out of the side of his mouth as they walked, "I never got grounded before you came here."
"You never touched a boob before I came here either."
35 likes