Start by marking “A Patch of Ground: Khe Sanh Remembered” as Want to Read:
A Patch of Ground: Khe Sanh Remembered

A Patch of Ground: Khe Sanh Remembered

A poignant, often humorous, recollection of the siege of Khe Sanh--a pivotal turning point in the American war in Vietnam. Under constant bombardment from the enemy, Mike Archer and his cadre of fellow nineteen-year-old Marines--Orr, Pig, Old Woman and Savage, just to name a few--managed to survive and, in the process, learn about manhood, sacrifice and the darkest recesse ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Hellgate Press (first published April 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Patch of Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Patch of Ground

Joshua
Apr 29, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it
When I was younger my Dad told me stories here and there about his experiences in Vietnam but it took time and maturity to realize exactly what he and others like him went through in Vietnam. Fortunately, more veterans are talking about their experiences so that future generations can know their story. Mr. Archer's book is one of many that are being written to make sure that the generations to come will not forget the sacrifices and difficulties faced by this generation of soldiers. Mr. Archer's ...more
Steve
Oct 10, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps the best military history documentary book I have ever read. It's the best book on the Vietnam War I have ever read. If you lived that era, as I did, and want to know the war from the perspective of one Marine and are not too caught up in your own perspective of the war I have two words for you - READ IT!
As I read the book the voice in my head was the voice of my old buddy Mike who I knew in the 1980s.
Mike joined the Navy in the 60's to try to stay out of Vietnam. He figured bein
Chelsey Langland
Feb 24, 2014 Chelsey Langland rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, history, 2014
I was interested in this because my dad was stationed near Khe Sanh at about this time. I clearly did not read the blub about the book before I bought it. I was wanting more of a history book or military study. This was a memoir. It is going to sound way more disparaging than I mean it to when I say that it reads a bit as self-published. It's not bad, at all. It's a little navel-gazey. But it is important to get these histories down while the participants are alive, so this is a good thing in th ...more
Ben Dummitt
Jan 17, 2014 Ben Dummitt rated it really liked it
This book is probably more like 3.5 stars. It was pretty good but not fantastic. It's the story of Michael Archer's experiences surviving the siege of Khe Sanh basically as his introduction to service in Vietnam. He does a nice job telling the story and shares some interesting opinions on the war from an insider perspective. If you are interested in the subject matter I think you will probably like it.
Cheryl
Apr 20, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This is a firsthand account of a siege of Marines at Khe Sanh during the Vietnam War.

The author talks a little about his life before he joined the Marines, when he was a regular teen, uncertain of his future and uncertain of what he wanted from life. Then we go through basic training and shipment to Vietnam with him. Finally we get to the siege of Khe Sanh, where the young soldiers lived underground for weeks as they fought off the enemy.

Not sugarcoated or overtly philosophical, but simply told
Frank
Mar 21, 2013 Frank rated it it was amazing
the Vietnam war obviously is the setting for this book, but it is more of a diary of how an average American boy experiences all the nasty elements of war and comes home a changed man. What he comes home to is a sad testimony, as these boys were just playing their roles and hoping to survive, and this book strongly gets that point across.
James Goalder
Feb 23, 2013 James Goalder rated it it was amazing
Archer does a fine job bringing his squad mates to life and putting us there with them during the interminable seige. A wonderful glance at daily life amidst bombings and attacks for the group of soldiers who held Khe Sanh against a far greater (numbers wise) enemy.
Sharon Tzur
Jun 27, 2013 Sharon Tzur rated it it was amazing
A very well written book. It really gives you insight into what war is like for the simple soldier on the ground. Also, it is well written - there is very good organization of the materials in a very readable manner.
G
Apr 02, 2008 G rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who had relatives in Vietnam
Since I have family representation in this book...I am emotionally tied to this book. Archer is just as "off color" humorous in person. Good description of what actually happened.
Andy-cheri Chapman-coan
I found this book interesting but difficult to read. What an experience this young man had, and his story is only one of thousands. War is a horrible thing.
Bank
Aug 18, 2010 Bank rated it did not like it
Khe Sanh is one of the greatest stories in USMC history; unfortunately this book does not capture it ; more a collection of anecdotes
Ted Kendall
Feb 18, 2013 Ted Kendall rated it it was amazing
This was an intimate and engaging memoir of Viet Nam. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to feel what it was really like.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
KAY ALLRED
KAY ALLRED rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Suzanne Krzyzek
Suzanne Krzyzek rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Zach
Zach rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
nick
nick is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2016
Mark Fancher
Mark Fancher marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Sandy Yablonski
Sandy Yablonski rated it it was ok
May 26, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Christie Srenaski
Christie Srenaski marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Christopher Phillips
Christopher Phillips marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
JLasketty
JLasketty rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016