Start by marking “The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)” as Want to Read:
The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)

The King's Bishop (Owen Archer #4)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  923 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
From the murky Thames to the misty Moors of the North, murder stalks Welsh soldier-sleuth Owen Archer and his dearest friend...

It is 1367. When Sir William of Wyndesore's page is found drowned in the icy Windsor Castle moat, some say he was done away with by Ned Townley-soldier, spy, and jealous lover, But Ned's struggle to prove his innocence to his ladylove, Mary, is thw
Published September 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Bishop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Bishop

Werehare
Dec 17, 2012 Werehare rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
4/10

Ambientazione gradevole e ben ricostruita per un giallo tutto sommato mediocre, con una soluzione per niente ad effetto e scritto in modo passabile. Gradevole, pur se non brillante, il protagonista ma insipidi e già sentiti tutti gli altri personaggi. Terribili la ripetizione ad libitum degli "occhi da gatta" di Alice Perrers, un paio di vigole tra soggetto e verbo (spesso le virgole sono messe con poco criterio) e il personaggio che parla di sé in terza persona.
Jeanne
Jan 23, 2015 Jeanne rated it liked it
ghostlibrarian
Nov 14, 2008 ghostlibrarian rated it really liked it
Mystery in the middle ages. I loved these books.
Vickie
Feb 20, 2008 Vickie rated it really liked it
Just love this series.
Jan 19, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
"The King's Bishop" is part of the Owen Archer series by Candace Robb. Owen Archer is one of my favorite fictional characters. This one-eyed former archer turned apothecary apprentice lives in the 1300's in England. He is also a spy for the archbishop of York and as such finds himself on many adventures, facing peril and intrigue alike while unraveling the mysteries that affect the archbishop and his position both in the church and at the Royal court.

In this installment of the series Owen's frie
Rachael Hewison
I came across this book, not realising it was the fourth in a series. Although I was unfamiliar with the characters, it was easy to get into and I did not need to read any of the former books to know what was going on.
Robb uses a vast array of characters, ranging from King Edward, to Archbishops to shepherds in the moors. This was perfect for creating a murder mystery as the killer could literally be anyone. At times it did feel somewhat overwhelming trying to remember who was who (William of Wy
Booknblues
Jan 26, 2016 Booknblues rated it really liked it
4th Book
This series set during Edward II reign in the 14th century, feature the Welsh, former Archer, Owen Archer who serves the archbishop of York by performing various tasks for him.

In this one he finds he must defend a friend on a murder charge.
Sandy
Aug 16, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it
In winter of 1367 Owen Archer is called upon to investigate his own friend Ned who has fallen in love with a servent of Alice Perrers, mistress of the King. Ned is accused of killing a page in the household of Sir William of Wyndesore after the two exchanged words, but he swears that he did not do the crime. It seems the crime might hit close to the throne and the Archbishop would lkie nothing better than to see Mistress Alice removed from court, but how to investigate without arrising the ire o ...more
Kathy
Sep 10, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
I admit to being highly distracted while reading this one, so if I am to pursue any others in the series I will have to read while alone and not otherwise busily occupied. Can't say I liked this one.
Kris

Such an IMPROVEMENT over the previous book, it's like it was written by a whole different person. Robb twines the real life events of courtly intrigue and politics in the last ten years of Edward III's reign with a mystery of murder and conspiracy. Sadly not much has changed in 700 years, it's still all about whose penis was in who and when. The book is well written and moves along nicely, the characters are realistic for their time period and the setting is believably presented.
Argum
Owen's friend Ned has finally fallen in love - with one of the ladies of the King's Mistress. She had been in company with a young page and Ned is jealous so he threatens the young man. He of course ends up dead. Then so does the girl. Ned is caught in a web of suspicion from all angles and behaves stupidly making even Owen question him. Meanwhile the Archbishop is trying to help his foe get a bishopric because the King wishes it. The problems soon overlap.
Susan
Jul 16, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, series
As with all this series, I enjoyed this simple little historical mystery involving Owen Archer and his family and friends. His wife Lucie is not as prominent in this book as in some; but Owen's friend Ned Townley finds himself in a huge amount of trouble, and Owen has to help sort it all out. The supporting character Magda continues to be one of my favorites, and is full of surprises here.
MBP
I'm really enjoying this series - they seem to be well researched (love the inclusion of maps and an author's note). The growth of the series characters is interesting to follow, as some evolve in unexpected ways. The only thing that really annoyed me about this book was the character of Ned Townley - hard to see why he would be a friend of Owen's.
Siria
Rather pedestrian—the prose never rises above workmanlike, and while Robb resists the temptation to tie up all the loose ends at the novel's conclusion, there's no real tension to the plot. The info dumps about medieval history weren't the worst I've ever seen, but atmosphere and context could have been more elegantly provided.
Mhd
Dec 29, 2015 Mhd rated it it was ok
Not as good as others in this series...little action / seems repetitive. Very little with Lucie.
Ailish
Sep 08, 2014 Ailish rated it it was ok
Perhaps I shouldn't have started with no 4 in the series, but reading this book felt like reading Cadfael minus Cadfael. Apart from Owen Archer and his family, there are not many attractive characters in this untidy medieval murder mystery set amongst court intrigues and scheming clergy.
Mfred
Feb 14, 2016 Mfred rated it really liked it
I find all of the Owen Archer books just superb. I'm not a huge fan of the mystery genre, but the way Robb writes these characters, the depth of historical knowledge she can fit into a story -- but never bogs down the story! -- makes these books great. I heartily recommend.
Awallens
Feb 11, 2013 Awallens rated it liked it
this book was Ok, though I found the plot really complex. Sometimes I love complex mysteries and other times I am hoping for an easier mystery and don't like them so much. Undoubtedly I'll read this book again when I'm in a more complex frame of mind and enjoy it.
Jennannej
Dec 31, 2012 Jennannej rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, london
Picked this up as a light read for Christmas-time. The mystery did drag on a bit. I wasn't very pulled in, it took me a week to read- even on vacation! There were quite a few characters and I didn't feel that the resolution was very satisfactory.
Susan
Nov 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was ok
I don't like mysteries, that's what it really comes down to. This series is set in medieval England, which is great, but yeah, I don't really like mysteries. The character development just doesn't live up to my standards.
Marcia
Apr 02, 2016 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Love good 12th Century historical fiction! (THIS SHOULD SAY 14th, not 12th!)
Heidi
Jun 23, 2008 Heidi rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-like
Only finished this because it was easy to read while nursing. Too many characters to keep straight and not entertaining enough to make it worth the effort.
Feodora
Nov 04, 2013 Feodora rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, crime, read-2013
I had to update my knowledge about the reign of Eduard III but it was a delight to read.
Nice plot, well woben net of history and fiction.
Cece
Dec 03, 2015 Cece rated it really liked it
This series depends on being read in order, as the characters and their interrelationships grow from book 1 on.
Margareth8537
Candace Robb was back to form with this story of Owen Archer, his friends and his family
Marisa
Oct 28, 2012 Marisa rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, medieval
i love medieval mysteries and this book did not disappoint.
9989898 rated it did not like it
May 03, 2016
kathy ebright
kathy ebright rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
BookBear
BookBear rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 2 6 Aug 06, 2014 01:57PM
  • The Heretic's Apprentice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #16)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
AKA Emma Campion or Candace M. Robb
My novels are inspired by my study of the late Middle Ages in Northern Europe. My three mystery series feature medieval sleuths: the Kate Clifford mysteries debut in May 2016 with The Service of the Dead, set in York at the cusp of the 15th century with a strong, independent young widow forged on the warring northern marches. The Owen Archer mysteries are set in
More about Candace Robb...

Owen Archer (10 books)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)