The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)

The King's Bishop (Owen Archer #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  18 reviews
From the murky Thames to the misty Moors of the North, murder stalks Welsh soldier-sleuth Owen Archer and his dearest friend...

It is 1367. When Sir William of Wyndesore's page is found drowned in the icy Windsor Castle moat, some say he was done away with by Ned Townley-soldier, spy, and jealous lover, But Ned's struggle to prove his innocence to his ladylove, Mary, is thw...more
Published September 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Bishop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Bishop

Werehare
4/10

Ambientazione gradevole e ben ricostruita per un giallo tutto sommato mediocre, con una soluzione per niente ad effetto e scritto in modo passabile. Gradevole, pur se non brillante, il protagonista ma insipidi e già sentiti tutti gli altri personaggi. Terribili la ripetizione ad libitum degli "occhi da gatta" di Alice Perrers, un paio di vigole tra soggetto e verbo (spesso le virgole sono messe con poco criterio) e il personaggio che parla di sé in terza persona.
ghostlibrarian
Mystery in the middle ages. I loved these books.
Vickie
Just love this series.
Rachael Hewison
I came across this book, not realising it was the fourth in a series. Although I was unfamiliar with the characters, it was easy to get into and I did not need to read any of the former books to know what was going on.
Robb uses a vast array of characters, ranging from King Edward, to Archbishops to shepherds in the moors. This was perfect for creating a murder mystery as the killer could literally be anyone. At times it did feel somewhat overwhelming trying to remember who was who (William of Wy...more
Susan
As with all this series, I enjoyed this simple little historical mystery involving Owen Archer and his family and friends. His wife Lucie is not as prominent in this book as in some; but Owen's friend Ned Townley finds himself in a huge amount of trouble, and Owen has to help sort it all out. The supporting character Magda continues to be one of my favorites, and is full of surprises here.
MBP
I'm really enjoying this series - they seem to be well researched (love the inclusion of maps and an author's note). The growth of the series characters is interesting to follow, as some evolve in unexpected ways. The only thing that really annoyed me about this book was the character of Ned Townley - hard to see why he would be a friend of Owen's.
Siria
Rather pedestrian—the prose never rises above workmanlike, and while Robb resists the temptation to tie up all the loose ends at the novel's conclusion, there's no real tension to the plot. The info dumps about medieval history weren't the worst I've ever seen, but atmosphere and context could have been more elegantly provided.
Ailish
Perhaps I shouldn't have started with no 4 in the series, but reading this book felt like reading Cadfael minus Cadfael. Apart from Owen Archer and his family, there are not many attractive characters in this untidy medieval murder mystery set amongst court intrigues and scheming clergy.
Mfred
I find all of the Owen Archer books just superb. I'm not a huge fan of the mystery genre, but the way Robb writes these characters, the depth of historical knowledge she can fit into a story -- but never bogs down the story! -- makes these books great. I heartily recommend.
Awallens
this book was Ok, though I found the plot really complex. Sometimes I love complex mysteries and other times I am hoping for an easier mystery and don't like them so much. Undoubtedly I'll read this book again when I'm in a more complex frame of mind and enjoy it.
Jennannej
Picked this up as a light read for Christmas-time. The mystery did drag on a bit. I wasn't very pulled in, it took me a week to read- even on vacation! There were quite a few characters and I didn't feel that the resolution was very satisfactory.
Susan
I don't like mysteries, that's what it really comes down to. This series is set in medieval England, which is great, but yeah, I don't really like mysteries. The character development just doesn't live up to my standards.
Heidi
Only finished this because it was easy to read while nursing. Too many characters to keep straight and not entertaining enough to make it worth the effort.
Feodora
I had to update my knowledge about the reign of Eduard III but it was a delight to read.
Nice plot, well woben net of history and fiction.
Cece
This series depends on being read in order, as the characters and their interrelationships grow from book 1 on.
Margareth8537
Candace Robb was back to form with this story of Owen Archer, his friends and his family
Marisa
i love medieval mysteries and this book did not disappoint.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Otto
Otto marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 2 6 Aug 06, 2014 01:57PM
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Rose Rent (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #13)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
AKA Emma Campion or Candace M. Robb
My novels are inspired by my study of the late Middle Ages in Northern Europe. I write crime novels under my own name, and historical novels about women in King Edward III's court under the pen name Emma Campion. I live in the beautiful Pacific NW, but frequently spend stretches of time in England, Scotland and Wales doing research and exploring. I have two ongoi...more
More about Candace Robb...
The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1) A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6) The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2) The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5) The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)