Start by marking “Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth” as Want to Read:
Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  915 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Chocolate Caramel-Pecan Souffl Cake . . . Cinnamon-Donut Bread Pudding . . . Double-Crumble Hot Apple Pies . . . Giant Coconut Cream Puffs . . . Here's a collection of desserts that gives more than 75 sticky, chewy, messy, gooey reasons to stock up on napkins. In addition to each sugary favorite, the author has included simple techniques and tools to help home cooks recrea ...more
Published August 13th 2007 by Chronicle Books (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey

Shelah
Lots of people think they have a sweet tooth, then go on to say that their favorite dessert is something like Strawberry Pie (which has way too much healthy stuff in it to qualify as a decadent dessert) or cheesecake (which in its vanilla form is way too blah for serious dessert lovers). This morning in Gospel Doctrine, the teacher talked about how she had a craving for the Klondike bars in her freezer, but decided she was too lazy to make the effort to go downstairs to get one. Believe me, if t ...more
Laurie
Mar 27, 2009 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: serious sweet-tooths, bakers, people with incredible tastebuds
Recommended to Laurie by: The Cover
Shelves: delectable
The photos and anecdotes that accompany the recipes are almost as delicious as the sinful treats themselves- rich, oozy, & oh-so-chocolatey! Yes, some recipes are a little more involved than others, but the end product is so worth it. Plus you can have loads of fun whipping these desserts up and luxuriating in the sweet smells swirling around your kitchen. Buy it, bake it, eat it up!

Wendy
I want to love this cookbook, and I keep opening it to the recipes I've marked and then deciding they will take too long and require too many specialized ingredients. Might copy a few in case inspiration strikes, but not all that hopeful.
Farrah Soares Parker
I haven't made anything from this book, but let me tell you I wish it was a scratch, sniff & lick book!! The pictures are to die for, and the page colors, textures and appearance of the book makes me want to buy it!
Elizabeth
Indulge your inner Augustus Gloop with white and dark chocolate fondue with coconut madelines and homemade marshmallows, chocolate soup with cinnamon-sugar pound cake croutons, mascarpone cheescake pots with shortbread spoons, or butterscotch bourbon macadamia nut pie.

These desserts truly are for the "serious sweet tooth," and will appeal to those of us who love to spend our evenings in the kitchen working with various sugary substances and baking materials.

Aside from the decadent recipes, Jil
Rachel
I can't even begin to say how much I love this cookbook! I finished it today and already put it on my to-buy list on Amazon. It's like the author knows exactly what I like and has all these amazing recipes to cover it. For example, she has this dessert called Chocolate Malted Madness which is basically a chocolate Pavlova with chocolate malted creamy filling and topped with malted milk balls. Then there is Cinnamon-Donut Bread Pudding, Coconut Milk-Cream Cheese Flan, or best of all the Mocha Haz ...more
Jessi James
Jan 14, 2012 Jessi James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a sweet tooth and an interest in baking
Recommended to Jessi by: it was a gift
if ever you're looking for a delicious dessert with a major wow-taste factor, it is in this book!! i have my copy in storage and won't be able to get it again for a while, so i bought it again in kindle format-- that's how worth it is. this book is wonderful for anyone ranging in skill level from beginner to advanced. the author jill o'connor is wonderful about explaining all the technicalities involved in the terms, and she makes it fun and easy. and the recipes!! oh my god, don't get me starte ...more
Cynthia Edge
A lot of the goodies that were featured in this book looked delicious, but they also did not really move me to make them. Maybe I didn't find them that original?

I made just one thing from this book, and that was the death by chocolate brownies, the first recipe. I used M&Ms in lieu of nuts because of a hater in the household. I did one batch in he muffin tin as it instructed, but they were murder to get out, despite following instructions. I made the rest of the batter in a 9x13 and they we
LibraryDanielle
My rating on this one is more a comment on the formatting than the actual book itself. The formatting SUCKED. Big time. Recipes ran into each other, photos were funky, spacing was weird, etc. The recipes all sounded good, and I would totally make them, but the format of the book put me off.
Abby
This is my favourite baking book. Her recipes are always perfectly lavish, the pictures are beautiful, and the design of the book is really pretty. Every recipe I make out of the book is always decadent and worth the (sometimes extra) effort. I've been baking from it for 3 years, and I haven't tired of the fun descriptions at the top of each recipe or the range in yummy, special desserts waiting to be baked.
Stephanie
The recipes in this book are all very enticing with easy to follow instructions. I wish I could have desert for breakfast, lunch and dinner so I could work my way quickly through the recipes. Fun quotes and interesting information and helpful hints are sprinkled throughout the book too. I enjoy seeing my scrapbooking hobby influencing the the layout design of the book too.
Rachel
I love the title. It works perfectly for the book. The author has 4 sections in the book: 1)Sticky, chewy chocolate. 2) The Pudding Club. 3) Cookies, Cakes and Pies. 4)Do Try this at Home!. The author has also included a lot of tips and information to help you get the best dessert possible. The recipe for "Deep, Dark Chocolate Pudding" sounded divine :)
Challis
One of the most delicious looking dessert books ever. Like another reviewer said, it was like scratch n sniff trip and you want to lick the pictures. Incredibly decadent fabulous looking recipes like 'Chocolate soup' and she even has spoons made out of cookies to eat your dessert with. Absolutely love it!
Susan Erhardt
This has some delicious sounding desserts in it, but many were way too fussy for me. I suppose I shouldn't "mark it down" for that, but I only photocopied five recipes from it, which is a bad sign. However, if you love to bake and don't mind making something that is time consuming, you'll love this book!
Png
Toothsome, sinfully-rich, decadent-looking chocolate and dessert pics. These recipes are for those who have a (very serious!) fondness for sweets! Loved the cute quotes and the scrapbooking look. The New York Cheesecake Milkshake sounds DIVINE!!
Ardis
If there are too many accessories involved, I'm just not going to cook it. Also, desserts on sticks don't appeal to me. Some of these recipes sounded great, but looked like too much trouble to make.
Lauren
I love sweets, and this is seriously the best, and cutest, baking cookbook I have ever seen! I recommend this for everyone who loves to bake and who is looking for some delicious treats to try.
katie
Nov 13, 2007 katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dessert fiends, people who like pink
Shelves: cookbook, read_07
almost every dessert in here looks amazing and the design is all cute and pink and adorable. the author's stories and anecdotes are charming as well.
Michelle
This is a gorgeous cookbook -- beautifully layed out and photographed. I've got several recipes marked and I can't wait to try them!
Amy Berry King
This book is great! I want to make every recipe in the book. I've made a few already and they are all fantastic.
Nora
Pretty colors & photos, but the recipes don't look like anything to write home about.
Megan
Lots of great recipes. My favourite brownie recipe is in this collection.
Pirate Nurse
recipes aren't very practical. fun to look at book, that's about it.
Poon
Apart from the recipes, I love the photographs and page layouts.
Mandy
looks tasty but it's too hot to cok anything right now
Traci Hewitt
This is the most PERFECT dessert cookbook!
Sonja Isaacson
Phoenix
Aug 02, 2008 Phoenix is currently reading it
yummmmm
vanessa bill
vanessa bill marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • Cupcakes!
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Baking
  • Crazy About Cupcakes
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • Tartine
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey Treats for Kids Simple French Desserts Phyllo: Easy Recipes for Sweet and Savory Treats Sweet Nothings Easter Treats: Recipes and Crafts for the Whole Family