Start by marking “Tease Monster: (A Book about Teasing vs. Bullying)” as Want to Read:
Tease Monster: (A Book about Teasing vs. Bullying)

Tease Monster: (A Book about Teasing vs. Bullying)

When One of a Kind is laughed at by Purple One and called a name by Green One, is the Tease Monster to blame? This whimsical story teaches children the difference between mean teasing and friendly teasing.
Published February 15th 2013 by Boys Town Press

To ask other readers questions about Tease Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tease Monster

Jeff
Feb 21, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Two for two - Julia Cook books are for me in terms of 5-star ratings. Sure, I'm only two books in, so there's definitely a strong opportunity for a 4-star rating in the future... But, I'm awestruck for now. I think her books are tremendous.

"Tease Monster (A book about teasing vs. bullying)" is very intelligent yet entertaining and user friendly - for, I believe, children or adults. And I could confidently say the same for the other Cook book I read earlier today ("Lying Up a Storm") as well.

Cons
Narita
Nov 12, 2016 Narita rated it it was amazing
When our girls were growing up, I can remember working hard at teaching them the difference between teasing and bullying. Our motto was, “If it isn’t fun for everyone then it’s not fun!” With bullying being such an epidemic among children, they all need to know which is which, and when they are crossing the line.
The characters are very unusual as most books go; they are all a number “One”. What makes them different is the various colors except for “one”. (pardon the pun) He distinguished from th
Nadia Buffa
Apr 21, 2013 Nadia Buffa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
Tease Monster is a children’s book that discusses the differences between teasing and bullying. The tease monster is about a “one” who gets teased by the other “ones” in his class for being unique. They tease him for the way he eats, for his many different colors, for his big feet, for being clumsy, and for his intelligence. When he gets home from school, he tells his mother that he is upset that the other “ones” are teasing him in school. His mother tells him “dealing with the tease monster is ...more
The Styling Librarian
Tease Monster (A book about teasing vs. bullying) by Julia Cook, illustrated by Anita DuFalla – 5/6 years old and up – appreciated this book that made the number 1 the main character and special, one of a kind. Reminded me of many of my serious, thoughtful students who cannot differentiate between jokes and bullying even with their friends. I found that other books didn’t quite address this and I was grateful that once again Julia Cook found a way to address the topic. Also appreciated that ...more
Bonnie
Oct 20, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This story lightly touches on teasing versus bullying. It describes the differences and gives examples for young elementary level.

Basically, there are two types of teasing: nice and mean.

Mean teasing is negative, bullying and not a good thing. The ones doing it are trying to be mean. It comes from someone who doesn't care about you and wants to embarrass you or make you feel bad on purpose.

Nice teasing is positive and adds to your life. It can help you solve problems in humorous ways and get yo
Kim
Mar 20, 2013 Kim rated it did not like it
This book is too wordy and doesn't really do a good job describing the difference between bullying and teasing in kid friendly terms. It's confusing and it would be better off if the "ones" were just monsters and the "tease monster" was a mean monster. I can't use this with my kids because it's over their heads and the length of it makes it incredibly boring, which is never good with young kids.
Maggie Burgess
Mar 07, 2015 Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
Not my favorite Julia Cook book. Love her others, but for me, I'd be nervous to use this with my students, as they might get confused between the different kinds of teases. I can think of a couple of students who would try to do "nice teases" and would rub peers the wrong way. It might be a nice receptive lesson, but if they kids tried to start expressing the teases, it could get tricky...
Jodie
Aug 07, 2013 Jodie rated it liked it
A book about teasing and bullying. It addresses mean teasting that is meant to hurt you and nice teasing that friends do with one another. It also shows that you need to think about the words you use and how others might hear them differently than what was intended.
Brandie
Dec 30, 2013 Brandie rated it it was amazing
Great book - my 6-year-old's current favourite! Talks about the difference between good-natured teasing between friends, vs mean teasing, meant to hurt. Also talks about how good-nature teasing between friends can be misunderstood. Also provides problem-solving for handling misunderstandings.
Kirsten
Aug 09, 2016 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I personally I think that this book it too wordy for the age group its directed to. And considering how wordy it is--it still doesn't drive home the difference between bullying and teasing.
Paula
May 05, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Julia Cook has a great way of teaching a lesson while making it fun. This book is no exception! She teaches children about playful teasing and bullying.
Nicole Coleman
Nicole Coleman rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Alleta Baltes
Alleta Baltes rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Linley Mccomb
Linley Mccomb rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Renee L. Oliver
Renee L. Oliver rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2016
warren t. meehan
warren t. meehan rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Carina Batista
Carina Batista rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Stephie McCumbee
Stephie McCumbee rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Karrie Winkelman
Karrie Winkelman rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Sue Pratt
Sue Pratt rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Rosie
Rosie rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Lisa Devine
Lisa Devine rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Chandler
Chandler rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Mary Jane
Mary Jane rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Sassy School Counselor
Sassy School Counselor rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016