Start by marking “The World's Great Speeches: 292 Speeches from Pericles to Mandela” as Want to Read:
The World's Great Speeches: 292 Speeches from Pericles to Mandela

The World's Great Speeches: 292 Speeches from Pericles to Mandela

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  6 reviews
opened never used
Hardcover, Fourth Enlarged Edition, 920 pages
Published 1999 by Dover Publications (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Great Speeches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Great Speeches

Tortla
Okay so I haven't read all these speeches. But I remember doing a presentation of Red Jacket's speech and thinking that it was a very eloquent attack on whitey. Which I'm all for. Because Manifest Destiny was stupid, and white people needed to be told to stop it (even if they didn't listen). Also, I think I read a few other ones and thought they were interesting. I should probably (re-)read this if I actually want to review it.
Stratos
Σπουδαίο βιβλίο. Οποιος γνωρίζει Αγγλικά να το πάρει, είναι πραγματικά μια όαση στην πλημμύρα των βιβλίων
James
I really liked this collection of Speeches and still do, but was disappointed to find recently that at least one was edited heavily. Whole paragraphs were taken out of the Eugene Debs speech from 1919. I am currently reading another book that contained the whole speech and they edited out some really good stuff. Now I wonder how much all the other speeches were edited.
Em
Compilation of some of the greatest oratory gems from ancient Greece to WWII. It sucks that most of the speeches are from West Europe and United States. Not a lot from Eastern Europe...or the rest of the world for that matter. So it's not complete, but it definitely is entertaining to flip through. The words as they spoke them; it definitely has a weight to it.
Brian
Not the best collection I've ever read and also not verbatim, which is just a cop-out. I listened to Martin Luther King's speech and read along and there were differences. That was not professional; I could have done a better job.

Still, some broad stuff that I am glad to have read.
Jason Owen
Some great words by some great men, though they may not have known it at the time.
Danicamariz
Danicamariz marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Kord Basnight
Kord Basnight is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
sabra
sabra marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Swapneel
Swapneel marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Travis Johnston
Travis Johnston is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Jerett
Jerett marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Abby Squire
Abby Squire marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Phon Samnang
Phon Samnang marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Amanda Zanin
Amanda Zanin marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Matt Cohen
Matt Cohen marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Teona Galgoțiu
Teona Galgoțiu marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Pankaj garg
Pankaj garg marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Evelina
Evelina marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Audrey Edgerton
Audrey Edgerton marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Hend Mohamed
Hend Mohamed marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Katleen Shibata
Katleen Shibata marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History
  • Lend Me Your Ears: Great Speeches in History
  • Great Love Poems
  • On Golden Pond
  • Windcatcher
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • Blow Him Away: How to Give Him Mind-Blowing Oral Sex
  • Leading So People Will Follow
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification, Part Two: January to August 1788 (Library of America #63)
10,000 Jokes, Toasts, Stories High School Subjects Self-Taught - Vol. 2 The World's Greatest Speeches The World's Best Jokes Austin's New Encyclopedia for Homemakers