Start by marking “The Me I Used to Be” as Want to Read:
The Me I Used to Be

The Me I Used to Be

That Was Then

Me, Allyson Cole. Age sixteen. Living in the world of endless summers, of going wherever you wanted. And yes, my parents may have worried that I was riding into trouble -- but I was young and in love, and growing up was something I had to do....

And This Is Now

Me, again. Allyson Cole. This time, age fifty-one. I have everything I always wanted -- almost. I don

Published October 1st 2005 by Harlequin Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Me I Used to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Me I Used to Be

Christy
Sep 19, 2011 Christy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this nice tale about forgiveness, moving on, reconciling the past and accepting what is.
Heather
Apr 24, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: electronic
After the original Woodstock, sixteen-year-old Allyson Cole found herself pregnant and alone when her boyfriend Sonny runs away without a word, and her parents forced her to give the baby up for adoption.

Thirty years later, Allyson is stunned to find an eighteen-year-old boy on her doorstep: Nicholas, the son of the daughter she gave up for adoption. Before Allyson's daughter died of cancer, she found where Allyson lived and told Nicholas to go to her "because she owes me". Allyson and Nicholas
Jennifer Archer
Feb 25, 2013 Jennifer Archer added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote the book so I might be just a bit prejudiced. ;) I will say, however, that it was one of my favorite books to write!
Andrea Guy
Apr 22, 2011 Andrea Guy rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Archer paints a vivid picture of a mother who gave up a child for adoption and how it comes back to haunt her in a good way.

The characters in The Me I Used To Be are very complex and very human. But aren't all people that way. Allyson goes to Woodstock with her bad boy boyfriend and when it is over she's left alone and then later finds out she's pregnant.

Flash forward 30 some years and a teenage boy shows up telling her he's her grandson and that the daughter she gave up has died of can
Louise
Mar 20, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Very nice story of a 51 year old woman trying to find out what she's lost and what she has.

From back cover:

"That was then...Me, Allyson Cole. Age sixteen. Living in the world of endless summers, of going wherever you wanted. And yes, my parents may have worried that I was riding into trouble - but I was young and in love, and growing up was something I had to do...

And this is now...Me, again. Allyson Cole. This time, age fifty-one. I have everything I always wanted - almost. I don't have him...a
Pam
Oct 07, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
10/08/05 #176
TITLE/AUTHOR: THE ME I USED TO BE by Jennifer Archer
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Women's Fiction, 2005, 289 Pgs
COMMENTS: Enjoyable read. At 16, in 1969, Allyson Cole
was at Woodstock. At 51, in 2004, Allyson owns the Slender
Pea -- a succesful Health Food Restaurant. Allyson is
finally ready to make the commitment to marriage (her 1st)
but can she fully say yes when there are parts of her
past she has not come to terms w/.

Caitlyn
Nov 14, 2010 Caitlyn rated it really liked it
Nice, quick read. Its about this couple that goes to Woodstock, they get JIggy with it there and he leaves her after. She finds out that shes pregnant with him and gives the baby up for adoption. Then its years and years later and who comes to her doorstep but a boy claiming to be her grandson. She goes on a journey finding the the answers she needs to move on with her life. Its a good, touching book. I enjoyed it.
Jordin
Jun 05, 2010 Jordin rated it really liked it
This was a fast read. I really liked it. It felt to me like a simple, easy read which was exactly what I'd been looking for. It's about a woman who meets her grandson for the first time after sixteen years. It explores her new relationship with him and her past. I really enjoyed the book.
Cathy
Jan 13, 2011 Cathy added it
Great book! This was about a woman who gave her daughter up for adoption 35 years ago. She is now searching for the father of their child. He knew nothing about the baby because he left with no notice. There's a very important reason why she's doing this now. You'll have to read it to find out.
Yousra
Jun 17, 2014 Yousra rated it really liked it
The me I used to be by Jennifer. archer
Awesome read!!
Maria Dunn
Maria Dunn rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Tammielyn
Tammielyn rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Kim Muldoon
Kim Muldoon rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Mary Lee Woods
Mary Lee Woods rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Shannon Furey
Shannon Furey rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
CD
CD rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2009
Seraling
Seraling rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2011
Amber Grace
Amber Grace rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Stephanie D
Stephanie D rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Not Just the Nanny
  • Million-Dollar Marriage Merger (Napa Valley Vows, #1)
  • Wedlocked: Banished Sheikh, Untouched Queen (Dark-Hearted Desert Men #1)
  • A Life That Fits (Toronto, #5)
  • Naked Sushi
  • Her Valentine Fantasy
  • All She Wants for Christmas is Her Dom (1Night Stand, #60)
  • 33 Valentines
  • The Scarlet Thread & Leota's Garden
  • Homefront Hero
  • Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary: Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of
  • The Girls on Rose Hill
  • Midnight Special / Coming on Strong
  • Dead as a Scone (Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • Grey's Lady (Carte Blanche, #1)
  • Invincible (Benedict Brothers, #2)
  • Prince of Secrets (By His Royal Decree, #2)
  • Anything
At the age of ten, Jennifer Archer made up her mind to become a writer. Then she grew up, became “sensible,” and earned a business degree with a minor in accounting instead. After years of trying to find her way through a confusing maze of debits and credits she realized that, for her, accounting was no more sensible than becoming a World Federation wrestler. So in 1993, she enrolled in a creative ...more
More about Jennifer Archer...