Start by marking “Curious Warnings: The Great Ghost Stories of M.R. James” as Want to Read:
Curious Warnings: The Great Ghost Stories of M.R. James

Curious Warnings: The Great Ghost Stories of M.R. James

Montague Rhodes James - M. R. James - was an English academic and provost of King's College and Eton. He started writing ghost stories to entertain his friends... one hundred and fifty years after his birth he is now revered as the father of the modern English ghost story.
This gorgeous hardback contains all thirty-five of M.R. James's highly acclaimed ghost stories, inclu
Published April 1st 2012 by Jo Fletcher

To ask other readers questions about Curious Warnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious Warnings

Katherine
Sep 15, 2016 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: spooky
An utterly charming collection of ghostly short stories. James has an Edwardian lightness of touch and humour that keeps me reading. He specialises in atmosphere, in bringing unsettling glimpses of the terrible into everyday settings. His donnish characters find in manuscripts or letters, the country church or a village inn, just a little more than they expected. These half-seen horrors are all the more unsettling for hovering on the edges and hinting at unknown terrors.

These are not stories to
Suzanne (winterscribbler) Cole
SPOILERS-ISH
The first thing I need to say about this edition is that, physically, it's beautiful; the kind of book that can't be replaced digitally. (I also have a well worn pocket edition that has traveled with me a fair distance.) The cracked red leather effect makes it seem like something one of James' protagonists might stumble across on an ancient bookshelf. Les Edwards' illustrations are a wonderful addition, and are finished so that they almost feel still damp to the touch, which is perfe
Banjomike
Jan 01, 2015 Banjomike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Read the original stories instead.
There is no real way to dislike a book of M.R. James tales. The stories are as good as ever. But this edition is NOT the one to read. I do NOT like (and do NOT see the point of) the editorial changes to the punctuation.

As an example, this is the first paragraph of “Oh, Whistle, and I’ll Come to You, My Lad”
Original:
‘I suppose you will be getting away pretty soon, now Full Term is over, Professor,’ said a person not in the story to the Professor of Ontography, soon after they had sat down next to
D.M.
Feb 09, 2013 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of those happy accidents readers love: I'd just read James' 'The Ash-Tree' in an old issue of Twilight Zone magazine, and had been thinking I really should seek out more of him to read. After one unsuccessful browse at the library, during a later visit there was this mighty tome staring me in the face when I walked in.
The title kind of underplays the relevance of this collection: this is a collection of pretty much ALL of James' superb supernatural writings. Not all of them are
Mark
Jun 24, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“M R James was a wonderful storyteller but he was not much of a stylist.” claims Stephen Jones in the first sentence of his Introduction to this new collection of Montague Rhodes James’ ghost stories.
Although Stephen then qualifies this further by saying, “Well, he was a stylist – but he wrote in a unique style that was very much all his own.” the point is perhaps a fair one.

I must admit that, for me, it is that uniqueness that makes MR one of my favourite ghost story writers. Nothing works quit
Scott Munro
Scott Munro rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Lamprini
Lamprini marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Steve Cooper
Steve Cooper marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Tom Král
Tom Král marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Vex the Swan
Vex the Swan marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Jason Stenger
Jason Stenger marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Maria (M.J) Hyland
Maria (M.J) Hyland rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
heather
heather marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Artemis Kalliste
Artemis Kalliste rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Harvey Connolly
Harvey Connolly marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Alan Swift
Alan Swift rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Richard Igel
Richard Igel marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Linsey Hunter
Linsey Hunter is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2015
Henry
Henry rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Raeden Zen
Raeden Zen marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Bean
Bean marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Ian Dyga
Ian Dyga rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Dan Ryan
Dan Ryan rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Stephen Bray
Stephen Bray rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Montague Rhodes James, who used the publication name M.R. James, was a noted British mediaeval scholar & provost of King's College, Cambridge (1905–18) & of Eton College (1918–36). He's best remembered for his ghost stories which are widely regarded as among the finest in English literature. One of James' most important achievements was to redefine the ghost story for the new century by di ...more
More about M.R. James...