Start by marking “Paul for Everyone: Prison Letters” as Want to Read:
Paul for Everyone: Prison Letters

Paul for Everyone: Prison Letters (New Testament For Everyone #14)

Making use of his true scholar's understanding, yet writing in an approachable and anecdotal style, Tom Wright captures the verve and sparkle of these letters. Paul wrote the letters while in prison facing possible death, but their passion and energy are undimmed. They reveal Paul's longing to see young churches grow in faith and understanding, rooted in Jesus himself, and ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Paul for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul for Everyone

Tim
Jun 13, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I began Wright on Paul's prison epistles I feared this setup (Wright's translation, followed by brief devotional commentary introduced by a contemporary story) would not be as effective for the dense writing of Paul as for the more narrative driven Luke (having read Luke for Everyone last year). But that wore off as I got into the three epistles covered here. I think I know them well, but Wright knows them better, and he provides keen insights for such brief comments.
Evan Hays
Oct 13, 2011 Evan Hays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, devotional
Yet another excellent NT Wright for everyone book. I am starting his Hebrews next, and have the last few of the series on my wishlist for this Christmas since they are coming out this fall.

I especially appreciated how he highlighted Paul's theme of unity in Phillipians and how he highlighted Paul's emphasis on the oneness of the Trinity in Colossians.

Thinking back, the Colossians stuff blew my mind. Sometimes I fall into the wrong thinking that the Trinity was something not clearly formulated un
Christopher
Nov 10, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This is another solid commentary from biblical scholar N.T. Wright that is useful for believers at any level from the newly saved to the veteran saint. This is also the second of three grouped commentaries, this one dealing with the Prison epistles, the letters Paul wrote when he was imprisoned. Paul makes mention of this in his epistles, but Mr. Wright's gift is to bring out Paul's dedication to the Word even while in chains and his near desperation to see that certain churches are on a sound f ...more
James
Wright's 'for Everyone' commentaries are great resources for bridging the gap between the text and the contemporary (Western) context. As a commentary, it falls a little flat. It is oscillates between being insightful and aggravatingly overly simple. But it is N.T. Wright, so most of the substance is brilliant, even if he doesn't have his scholar hat on for it. He draws out the meaning of the text through personal anecdotes. You get the sense here of how he might preach these texts to a church. ...more
Sagely
Dec 01, 2014 Sagely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up from the church library a few days before leading a Bible study on Philemon. I respect NT Wright's scholarship greatly, so I thought this volume of the PfE/NTfE series would offer a safety rail to keep my reading of Philemon from rolling into the gutter of bad scholarship.

PfE does provide a bit of a scholarly safety rail, though you wouldn't know the depth of Wright's scholarship from a quick read. PfE reads almost like a devotional commentary, with plenty of introductory illust
Becky B
Mar 19, 2014 Becky B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-commentary
Another great commentary from NT Wright. True to the rest of the NT For Everyone books I've read, he provides a readable commentary of these books, breaking it down pericope by pericope with his own translation of the text followed by a story to make aspects of the text more relatable to modern readers followed by any historical background needed (though this is usually brief), and application for today. I continue to appreciate this series for the way it brings out depth and greater understandi ...more
Neville Ridley-smith
Aug 27, 2015 Neville Ridley-smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, christian
I've been using this for my daily Bible reading. Wright brings alive a lot of the history and context that surrounds these letters. The 3 sections on Philemon at the end were particularly good.

The only downside is that I'd often be hard-pressed to remember what I had read but perhaps that was because I would often read it at night time when my brain was fairly dead... since I've started getting up early and reading in the morning, that hasn't been as much of a problem.
Matt Maples
I've read the part of this commentary on the book of Ephesians and it's very nice. I like this series by N.T. Wright because it's very readable and a nice overview. I would not recommend these commentaries if you are really wanting to study the book at hand, but if you want to supplement your other information on the book or if you're just taking a first step toward learning more about the scriptures then this is a good commentary and series to consider.
Laura Sanchez
Aug 30, 2012 Laura Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-testament
Refreshing take on the prison letters. Wright translates from the Greek in plain American English so as to make it as understandable as possible.
Радостин Марчев
Оценката ми се отнася само до посланието към Ефесяните. коментарът е много кратък (едва 80 стр.) но може да бъде полезен дори за хора, които са свикнали с по-сериозни разглеждания.
Mmetevelis
Very good treatment of the texts. Excellent way to bring out the larger themes of Paul. Used some insights here in a class on Philippians to good effect.
James Kim
Aug 06, 2016 James Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentary
What can you say about N.T. Wright's Paul for Everyone? It's another solid, practical, easy to read, easy to understand exposition of the Scriptures.
Chase
Mar 25, 2008 Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this as a devotional. A great blend of depth and accessibility, from the best NT scholar I've encountered.
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Aaron Gray
Aaron Gray rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Denisse Saldana
Denisse Saldana rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2015
Dusty Craig
Dusty Craig rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Kelley
Kelley rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2007
Tony Bleything
Tony Bleything rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Susan McSwiney
Susan McSwiney rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Shane Clements
Shane Clements rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Daniel Gates
Daniel Gates rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Jon Trainer
Jon Trainer rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Hunter Deng
Hunter Deng rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • What Saint Paul Really Said: Was Paul of Tarsus the Real Founder of Christianity?
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • Genesis (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary, #1)
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • The Message of Ephesians (Bible Speaks Today NT)

He also publishes under N.T. Wright.
More about Tom Wright...

New Testament For Everyone (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Matthew for Everyone: Part One, Chapters 1-15
  • Acts for Everyone, Part 1: Chapters 1-12
  • Acts for Everyone, Part 2: Chapters 13-28
  • Paul for Everyone Romans: Part One Chapters 1-8
  • Paul for Everyone Romans: Part Two Chapters 9-16

“I don’t believe that our human emotions are silly surface noise and that we should get down beneath them to a calm, untroubled state. That’s not what I mean by “joy”.” 0 likes
“2Watch out for the dogs!” 0 likes