Start by marking “The Other Side” as Want to Read:
The Other Side

The Other Side

An original ebook short story from New York Times bestselling author Chevy Stevens featuring Psychiatrist Nadine Lavoie and Staff Sergeant Sandy McBride, from Never Knowing.Sandy is working the biggest case of her life—the Campsite Killer, who has been hunting women for almost forty years. She’s finally close to nailing him, if she can just keep her head in the game. But w ...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side

Brenda
Staff Sergeant Sandy McBride and partner Billy were getting closer to nabbing the Campsite Killer – the desperation of “sooner rather than later” was with them, as it was spring and he always killed in the summer months. When a woman came forward with a link to the killer, it was their best lead yet…

In the meantime, Sandy was still working the cold case of her mother’s murder many years previously – she had been a child of six years old – her father had never been found and the “not knowing” had
Rachel
Apr 04, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it
I love Chevy Stevens, but I saw absolutely no point to this at all. I couldn't even remember the book, let alone try to remember this character. Or care. Skip it. Or read it on the toilet. No, skip it.
Cheryl
Apr 17, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
Campsite Killer had a daughter named Sara. When the killer learned of this news, he reached out to her. Staff Sergeant Sandy McBride is on the case. While Sara is investigating she is contacted by someone who has information about her mother’s murder. Sara will finally learn the truth about her mother’s murder.

I thought this book was a nice, quick read for a short story. It was a nice tie in to Never Knowing. It is in that book where Sandy fully investigates the case of the Campsite Killer. Howe
Dean
Mar 22, 2014 Dean rated it it was ok
After just having read her really good novel, "Still Missing," this was a major letdown.
Frankly, after all was said and done, I am not sure what happened.
I flipped back and forth a couple of times at the end to see if I missed something.
Fast to the end, convoluted and oddly puerile.
Far more novice attempt than her debut.
1.5 stars.
(PS-if you are a fan this is super-short so, if you must read all of her stuff-read it at your peril).

Namaste~

Aug 27, 2016 Ezgi rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, reviewed
Marianne
Nov 25, 2013 Marianne rated it really liked it
The Other Side is an e-short by Canadian author, Chevy Stevens. It is a very short story (half the content of the download is a preview of the author’s next book, Always Watching), and which involves Staff Sergeant Sandy McBride, one of the police officers in Never Knowing. On a background of some of the events in Never Knowing, Sandy learns some new information about the murder of her mother when Sandy was just six years old, a crime attributed to her violent and missing father. This small dose ...more
Amy
Jun 29, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
THE OTHER SIDE brings together psychiatrist Nadine Lavoie and police sergeant Sandy McBride and tells a parallel story to NEVER KNOWING, but also works as a stand alone tale. Sandy is working the case of her life, The Campsite Killer. Nadine's client is his daughter. When Nadine is attacked, everyone assumed The Campsite Killer is responsible. Sandy has another killer on her mind, her father who had killed her mother decades ago. Or did he?

The story kept me on the seat of my chair, wanting more
Jackie Lane
Jun 16, 2013 Jackie Lane rated it really liked it
This novella serves as a summary of Never Knowing and yet it give us insight into some of the characters. I'm guessing that it will lead into her newest book which is coming out soon. There was some new information revealed and I'm sure it is to bridge the gap between the two book.

I'm excited to see where the story is going and to find out more details about the Campsite Killer and apparently there is now a story to who killed Sandy's mother and what happened.

3.5 - 4 stars (remembering this is a
David
Mar 04, 2014 David rated it liked it
A short quick read that filled my lunch hour for me. The story had the initial focus of capturing and solving the case of the so called 'Campsite Killer', but was actually about the heroine's personal life and solving the (unrelated) murder of her own mother. Maybe I overthought the story, but I expected the two case threads were actually going to tie together. Alas, they didn't. Nevertheless, an entertaining read from an author I haven't come across before.
Ginger
This was just ok to me. I have enjoyed this author in the past. Although this is a short story, I just felt everything was a bit too rushed. Just because i didn't love this, it won't deter me from reading her other books.
Hitessh Panchal
Jul 07, 2016 Hitessh Panchal rated it did not like it
It got over , even before it started... she wrote it for the heck of writing and i read it for the heck of reading !!!

You won't miss anything , if you skip this one !!!
Nov 18, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
I liked this, but it ended just as it was getting started! I was expecting it to be longer which is why I'm disappointed.
Kimberli Galvez
Apr 10, 2013 Kimberli Galvez rated it it was ok
That was it!!!??? She is a genius for doing this though, sell for .99 and make thousands. Am looking forward to her next novel, but am not falling for these short e-books anymore!
Ohio
Apr 04, 2013 Ohio rated it did not like it
Was all telling, didn't hold my interest at all. Didn't connect with characters.
Becky
Jun 07, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
The Campsite Killer case has been dragged out for quite some time but the recent discovery that the killer fathered a child with his one surviving victim has given the police hope of finally catching him. The case hits a little too close to home for Staff Sergeant Sandy McBride, though, bringing up bad memories of her own mother's murder. And while Sandy herself was witness to the event - her own father brutally killed her mother while the young girl hid in the bedroom closet - her father ...more
Kimberly Kay Mcbride
May 19, 2013 Kimberly Kay Mcbride rated it it was amazing
The Other Side is a short story that basically reviews of the plot of the author's last phenomenal novel, Never Knowing. However, even if you read Never Knowing, you should still read The Other Side because it is amazing and because it is serves as a sort of connection between Never Knowing and the much anticipated release of the author's new novel next month. On June 18th, we will finally have access to Chevy's third novel, Always Watching. Luckily, I purchased the ebook and was therefore able ...more
Wynn
In this short story you get "the other side" – meaning the side of Staff Sergeant Sandy McBride from the novel Never Knowing. I had to go back in my memory to that dreadful (one star novel) to remember events. In The Other Side, you get the story of McBride’s personal life which shares a similarity to Sara Gallagher's. The cover image is creepy, but doesn’t match the actual feel of the short story.

I absolutely hated Never Knowing; therefore, based on the description of this short story I probabl
Richelle
Jul 08, 2016 Richelle rated it liked it
Shelves: own, ebook
first off I'd like to say I am not very happy to have paid 1 dollar plus tax for 5 minutes of reading.. when the books is classified as a novella I understand that it's short but this "very short story" took me all 5 minutes to read! I was excited when I started seeing some
old characters from her previous stories pop
up .. and was so exited to see where this one was going to go.. but then poof it was
over and I didn't really understand
the point.. it wasn't a complete story.. it was a few events wi
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jul 20, 2014 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it did not like it
You all know how much I love Chevy Steven's books but sadly, this is the one that I don't love. I will even go further to say I wished I saved my money. I just saw a short story by her, not bothering to read the description or anything and bought it because I love everything else I've read. That was poor judgement on my part. I would have noticed, had I read the synopsis, that I didn't really need to back-track. Honestly, my curiosity might have won out either way though.
This short story should
Teena in Toronto
Dec 27, 2015 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
Sandy is a cop looking for the Campsite Killer. He has been on the run for many years but popped up recently when he contacted his adult daughter, Sara. She is also dealing with something from her past ... her mother had been murdered by her father and then he disappeared. And if that wasn't enough, her boyfriend of many years is pressuring her to have a baby.

This is a side story of "Never Knowing" focusing on Sandy, which I read last month. It's written in first person perspective from Sandy's
Rich Stoehr
May 25, 2013 Rich Stoehr rated it liked it
"The Other Side" is a short and mostly unnecessary transition between Chevy Stevens' novels 'Never Knowing' and 'Always Watching.' It introduces Nadine Lavoie, the mostly-silent therapist from Stevens' first two books and the narrator of the third, as a character and tells a quick side story about one of the police officers who featured prominently in 'Never Knowing.'

Taken in itself, apart from the books, "The Other Side" is not much to speak of - a story of a childhood trauma that seems resolve
Lisa Anne
Jan 01, 2014 Lisa Anne rated it liked it
I love Chevy Stevens! She is one of my favorite thriller authors, so I think the fact that I only gave this 3-stars has more to do with the fact that I must not be a short-story-kind-of-girl. I can't recall the last time I read a short story, and just wanted something quick to get thru this afternoon, so decided on The Other Side. It was just "fine." I guess my biggest issue was the lack of character and scene development, but considering it's a short story, I think that's more of a genre issue, ...more
Janet
Aug 05, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
What a good mystery! This is the story of a woman psychiatrist . When she is treating a new patient, she starts re-living parts of her childhood that were spent in a commune. I won't say more. Just that it was a great read, impossible to put down, lots of interesting characters and a great story that takes lace in British Columbia. Chevy Stevens is a terrific writer- I have really enjoyed all of her books (and Im rarely a mystery reader!) but she knows how to tell a story! Can't wait to see her ...more
Judy Collins
Mar 28, 2014 Judy Collins rated it really liked it
This was a short-ebook short story novella--I actually read after reading ALWAYS WATCHING. (should have read it prior to). I was familiar with Nadine, the psychiatrist (Always Watching), and Sergeant Sandy McBride Never Knowing).

Sandy is working on the big case (Campfire Killer),as she gets closer gets a call about her mother's murder as she is pulled back into her past she thought was buried. A quick intense suspense with two strong characters - offering a teaser of Always Watching-which I rec
Elvan
Apr 04, 2013 Elvan rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short focusing on Staff Sergeant McBride, the chief investigator working tha Campsite Killer case from Steven's second novel, Never Knowing. The mystery is not hard to solve but the short story serves to both recap key elements of Never Knowing along with beginning to develop the backstory for Nadine Lavoie. Lavoie is the central focus of Chevy's third novel, Always Watching. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 in anticipation of her new release.
This is a short story about a staff sergeant as she searches for answers to her mother’s murder while searching for a serial killer. This is a quick read, so it is fast paced and any action that occurs happens rather suddenly and without much detail or explanation. Overall, it reads like a character profile that an author would write while preparing for a novel. I like the main character but wish that there was a bit more substance to the story itself.
Jeanette
Jun 16, 2013 Jeanette rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I don't like novellas very much and try to stay away from them because there really isn't much there and I often get frustrated by them. And with this one, it was more of a reminder of what the last book was about with a few new things thrown in. I read it mostly because Stevens' new book is coming out next week and it was free.
Mindy
Sep 11, 2016 Mindy rated it it was ok
Maybe it's been too long since I read her other books.....I didn't really remember the characters or about the initial plot (finding the Campsite Killer).
I know this is a short short story, but it was too short for me. There was no real detail, just this happened, this happened, this happened, end of story.
Jack Okorn
Jan 16, 2016 Jack Okorn rated it it was amazing
This is a short book that will keep you turning the pages. It is a fast paced story of a girl always thinking that someone close to her killed her mother. She has been working this case for years as she has been working others. It's great to see how one case can lead her to the truth about one that is near and dear to her heart. Great story and a nice evening read.
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Snowflake Obsidian: Memoir of a Cutter
  • The Whispering Hollows
  • Smoke (Lydia Strong, #4)
  • Little Lies
  • Stay Close: A Mother's Story of Her Son's Addiction
  • You Don't Look Sick!: Living Well with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • No One's Daughter
  • Who is Sarah Lawson
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Heartless
  • Suspicion
  • Solstice
  • Never Forget
  • The Unbreakable Boy: A Father's Fear, a Son's Courage, and a Story of Unconditional Love
  • Strong at the Broken Places: Voices of Illness, A Chorus of Hope
  • Falling Immortality: Casey Holden, Private Investigator
  • Witness to Death
CHEVY STEVENS grew up on a ranch on Vancouver Island and still calls the island home. For most of her adult life she worked in sales, first as a rep for a giftware company and then as a Realtor. While holding an open house one afternoon, she had a terrifying idea that became the inspiration for Still Missing. Chevy eventually sold her house and left real estate so she could finish the book. Still ...more
More about Chevy Stevens...