The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe

The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Has Gabriel created a monster?

Gabe and Seth used to play make-believe games in the woods behind Seth's family farm. It was the perfect creepy landscape for imagining they were up against beasts and monsters and villains.

Just as Gabe's decided he's outgrown their childish games, though, it appears that their most monstrous creation could be real.

Is there a ghoulish man-eati...more
Published July 30th 2013 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe

The Runaway King by Jennifer A. NielsenThe False Prince by Jennifer A. NielsenThe School for Good and Evil by Soman ChainaniRump by Liesl ShurtliffThe Ability by M.M. Vaughan
Middle Grade Novels of 2013
169th out of 324 books — 591 voters
The Broken by Sean FrawleyDoll Bones by Holly BlackThe Doll in the Garden by Mary Downing HahnThe Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire LegrandA Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
Spooky Middle Grade Reads
46th out of 110 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Tony
I read this book for my English class for something we call SSR (Sustained Silent Reading). We read a different book every quarter and then have to do a review for it on here for one of the grades.
I really enjoyed this book. The plot was very well thought out and had LOTS of twists and turns that were very unexpected! It always kept me on the edge of my seat. Although the plot at times seemed like it was slow to progress throughout, it still kept your attention through some of the plot changes...more
Keyara Clay
i think that this book was really good. this book was about a boy named gabe who moved into a new town and had no freinds. he moved there because his old house had a fire in his dads office and burned it all down. Gabe is sortof happy that they did because gabe was always being teased by his classmates because his dad makes puppets for a job. he soon had a friend named seth and he told him that a hunter is going to get him and that is what the rest of the book ends up with the hunter getting the...more
Renee
When a game becomes real things start to get creepy and that’s exactly the case in Dan Poblocki’s most recent book, The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe. Gabe and his family have recently moved in with his grandma in her home near a dark forest. Gabe quickly becomes friends with Seth, who lives on the other side of the forest with his mom. Seth invites Gabe to play a game where they’re fighting the terrible and evil child eating creature call The Hunter to survive. While Gabe finds the game a little odd...more
Misha Rudder
The author unintentionally did something great in this book, not only was the antagonist in this book a bad guy. So was the protagonist in many ways. For example, when Gabe was eating lunch with his popular friends, his much closer friend, Seth who wasn't popular whatsoever tried to have lunch with him, then, because of his embarrassment for being best friends with a so-called "loser" Gabe says, "No...I want to sit with you guys"(61) When saying this he is talking to the group of popular kids. T...more
Rylie Walters
The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe follows Gabe as he and his family move in with his grandma, in a new town with a new school. Gabe's first new friend is Seth, who lives right down the hill. Seth teaches Gabe how to play a game in the woods seperating their houses, but what they uncover is shocking and unpredictable. This book will keep you turning pages with its main twists and turns. Some might say all the changes can get confusing and hard to keep up with, but it all ties together in the end. Pobl...more
Cathy
Truly creepy. A tale with lots of plot twists, rich back story and a very surprising end. The chapters swap from "Now", "Then" and "Never" as the story develops, and when things really start to take off, these designations begin to entangle. Gabriel himself deals with the all-too real problem of middle school social order, and bullying is a theme throughout- one the author handles realistically. A ghost story, yes, but so much more. A slow start that will reward- with a bonus side of goosebumps!
Ms. Yingling
Gabe family moves in with his grandmother, a famous book illustrator, after a fire destroys the family home and his father’s puppet studio. Gabe is just as happy—he meets Seth, a neighbor, and has a great role playing game going in the woods. When school starts, he meets Mazzy and Felicia and gets accepted into a popular crowd, which is better than being taunted as “puppet boy” back home. Seth is no longer welcome in the group, although he once was, since his brother David’s disappearance. Soon,...more
Barbara
Eighth grader Gabe and his family have recently moved to a small town north of Boston after a fire that destroyed his puppeteer father's studio. Now they are staying with Gabe's grandmother in her mansion, and Gabe is doing his best to fit in. But his friendship with Seth and their involvement in a game in which they try to evade the Hunter, a monster that lives in the nearby forest. Gabe finds it easy to switch from fantasy to reality, and when his new classmates pave the way for his acceptance...more
Andrew Marr
Michal Hope
Poblocki continues the spine tingling mystery with Gabriel Ashe that he introduced in The Ghost of Graylock. Basically the story goes like this: boy loses home in fire, moves w/ family to grandmother's mansion, makes friends with local boy who is ostracized at school, has to choose b/w new friend and group of popular people, discovers local mysterious disappearances, and has to find an ending to the strange happenings around town. Gabriel is the main character but Seth's character also holds up...more
Laura Phelps
Courteney
Louanne
"But tonight, I think we've both proven that we are more than just scared. Tonight, we've learned how to be brave." A unique coming of age story taking place before, never, now, and after, The Haunting of Gabriel Nash delivers equal doses of reality, the paranormal, and possibility. The plot is unpredictable and fresh, breaking away from formulaic YA plots that have recently become boringly popular. As with Poblocki's Ghost of Graylock, this is a five-star read!
Heather
If you pick up this book, push through the first 100 pages because it is so worth it! It does start off a little slow, but by the end my heart was racing and I found myself holding my breath & holding back tears.
Shay
Oh wow! I absolutely LOVED this book. It had very exiting moments and hidden dun dun DUN moments, mixing for the perfect storyline. The ending was the best. I don't want to spoil anything, but that was my favorite kind of ending!
Eryn
Not as creepy good as The Ghost of Graylock, but still a decent book with a good storyline. I like Poblocki's work because he builds a good story and still manages to give you the chills a bit. The middle school boys in my classroom don't seem to think he's scary enough, but they're boys.
ambbryant
Joe Holman
A decent spooky type book. Did a good job in creating a credible cast of characters with some interesting twists to the plot.
Carly
This book wasn't the best book ever, but I thought it was good.

I have read some Dan Poblocki before, and he is always great at writing scary books. This book was no exception (I turned it cover-down before going to sleep) and I enjoyed the reading experience very much.
Judy
Definitely a chilling mystery book! Don't read it before going to bed but is does have a good storyline . The beginning is a little slow but keeps you guessing.
Guinevere
A chilling horror story, I recommend for any age! Well, perhaps actually a bit scarier than I thought it would be, I'm having my 8-yr-old hold off a year. :) So glad I came across this writer and I'm looking forward to more of his books. I've got The Nightmarys on my shelf, I'll be on that as soon as I finish Belle Epoque!
Brooke Hanson
Disappointed at the ending but... other then that its really great .
Anne
I liked it a lot until the end, I did not like the ending.
Amy Seibert
Okay, but I wish I would have known prior to starting this book that several characters mentioned were from an earlier book by Poblocki. I think I would have enjoyed it more had I had more of the backstory of Nathaniel Olmstead. I know this isn't a sequel but more of an offshoot, but I was annoyed that it wasn't clear when reading the description of this book. I wouldn't have started with this one.
Allyleigh
Awesome ending! It kept me guessing. It was a very quick read.
Ann
2014 Best Fiction for Young Adults
Cindy Jacobsen
This was definitely a page turner; just when you think it has hit the turn around point it kicks it up a notch. Saying much about the plot or characters would give too much away, but let's just say the monster is about as evil as they come and stops at nothing to get what it wants. The only character that I couldn't understand was the grandmother. She clearly knew what was going on; why didn't she step in? And Mason - whoa! This is a book I will recommend to my students.
Christine
I am normally not a big fan of horror books, but this was one that I could not put down. Young Gabe quickly finds out that his family's move to a quiet rural town is anything but! Readers will be carried along with the realization that what Gabe and his friend Seth thought was a game with a hideous man-eating hunter is anything but. Gripping action scenes and haunting details will make many younger readers want to keep on the lights at night after this read!
Maryum ❤
the beginning was pretty boring but in the middle it got better
Alison
It may be just when I chose to read this book, but there were times where I had a hard time getting into the story. It would start to hook you in, then it would slow down again. I also think the title was a bit misleading because not only was Gabe not the only one effected, but the haunting didn't even originate with him. I did enjoy the story once it picked up, but this was not my favorite book by this author.
  • Turn Left at the Cow
  • Gravediggers: Mountain of Bones
  • Constable & Toop
  • Ghost Hawk
  • The Shadowhand Covenant
Author of The Stone Child, The Nightmarys, The Ghost of Graylock, and the Mysterious Four series,The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe, and The Book of Bad Things.
More about Dan Poblocki...
The Stone Child The Ghost of Graylock The Nightmarys Hauntings And Heists (The Mysterious Four, #1) Clocks and Robbers (The Mysterious Four, #2)