Start by marking “Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business (Bloody Jack, #11)” as Want to Read:

Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business (Bloody Jack #11)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,598 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
Jacky Faber has a habit of making waves--even when docked in her adopted city of Boston, where she is attending to the business of Faber Shipping Worldwide. With big dreams and perhaps a bit too much exuberance for the very Puritan populace, she purchases the Pig and Whistle Inn, determined to revive her old stomping grounds and establish a musical theater.
But Jacky quickl
Published September 10th 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Boston Jacky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boston Jacky

Fangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Dream Thieves by Maggie StiefvaterThe Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly BlackThe Burning Sky by Sherry ThomasUnited We Spy by Ally Carter
YA Books - Publishing September 2013
56th out of 85 books — 198 voters
Blackhearts by Nicole CastromanBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerMy Bonny Light Horseman by L.A. MeyerSteel by Carrie VaughnIn the Belly of the Bloodhound by L.A. Meyer
YA & Middle Grade Pirates
21st out of 70 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

First off, don't let my rating fool you into thinking I disliked this book. To be honest, I rather enjoyed it, as I do with all of the Bloody Jack books. Jacky just makes everything so hilarious and worthwhile... she is the reason that I've read 11 of these books! And this series is worth the read if you're in the mood for a light, historical tale with enough humor to bring tears to your eyes!

I was just overly annoyed with Jaimy in this particular installment. I guess the angst between Jacky and
Oct 18, 2014 Heidi rated it liked it
I have always loved Jacky's stories and everything about them, so I'm really sad to say this is the first time I've been pretty disappointed. Everything was awesome as usual except for one thing...Jaimy. I don't know about everyone else but I am getting real tired of the same old with the Jacky/Jaimy relationship. Seriously, where is the book where they actually meet face to face and discuss their relationship,instead of haphazard breakups and makeups they always have via letter. Just a little r ...more
Apr 16, 2013 Clickety rated it it was amazing
My prediction: NO! Jacky will thwart the thwarters and dodge being comeupped once more! :D
Amy Swartz
Sep 13, 2013 Amy Swartz rated it really liked it
Emily Dusicska
May 21, 2013 Emily Dusicska rated it it was amazing
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!! I STARTED HYPERVENTILATING WHEN I SAW THE COVER!!!! Words can't even describe the excitement I felt when I decided to see if there was a cover and saw there was!!!! I'm crying now. There are tears of anticipation on my face and keyboard. THANK YOU SO MUCH L.A. MEYER!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2014 Darashea rated it liked it
as much as I love bloody jack books I want them to manny
Sep 11, 2013 Jaye rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
I love Jacky Faber. I've read them all and always pre-order the new one. What is it about these books that makes me want to come back? Many things.

First, the stories are great. Young London orphan girl joins gang. When the gang leader is killed and Jacky thinks the killers are coming after her next, she ships out as a boy on a ship. From then on, hold on to your hats!! You never know what Jacky will do next!

Second, you learn some history if you bother to pay attention. Jacky serves as a messenge
Sep 16, 2013 Bryn rated it liked it
I don't really know what I think. The story was more engaging than perhaps some of the past few have been. It had less of the feel of serialization, or an adventure that simply prolonged the story. I like that the Jaimy business had to be confronted, but I don't know if I care for how it went down (the feminist in me was feeling mightily uncomfortable towards the end). I liked how things did not go perfectly and how Jacky had to account for a few of her past actions. I'm still reading these so o ...more
A great book! It was fun to get to revisit some of the characters from the previous stories, and I wish Jacky and Jamie well in the next book in the series which I think will be the last. We will know the last book from the title which Mr. Meyer has decided will be called She Will Play the Wild Rover No more. Now, he *might* not keep to that title, but the hero's journey has been completed with this book. Well, almost. One more book should do it.

This is a quote from Mr. Meyer's Facebook page:

Lori Twichell
Sep 19, 2013 Lori Twichell rated it liked it
This most recent installment of the Bloody Jack series puts Jacky in even more hot water but it’s quite different in that her friends and the people she loves have gotten directly involved. After all, it’s difficult to keep the women’s temperance league happy when you own a bar. But what takes it all up a notch is Amy’s involvement with the league. And what is that Archie MacBride up to these days? Nothing but trouble for poor Jacky.

Another raucous adventure surrounded by friends and familiar se
Sep 21, 2013 Liviania rated it liked it
Jacky Faber has returned to Boston, this time to discover that her shipping business is losing money, the Irish are becoming unwelcome in Boston, and that Jaimy Fletcher hasn't made it back yet. The first bit of BOSTON JACKY feels very same old, same old, and the new elements introduced never go as far as they might. The various extortionary fire companies are introduced, but I can only remember one fire in the book - and it's not a particularly big fire.

I did like the introduction of women's su
Oct 08, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: children-teen
I am growing a bit tired of Jacky Faber. She has become a static character who needs to start growing up. The characters in the novel around her are all maturing and coming into their own while Jacky continues to push her luck. Also, I am greatly unimpressed with how Jamie is developing. I think I will read the next book in the series, but I will be giving it up if there aren’t some changes made soon.
Nov 16, 2013 Aubrey rated it it was ok
I guess I get why this book needed to happen- Jacky has *got* to start growing up- but, it was not a fun read.

Everything with Jaimy was infuriating. How he can hold every completely unconfirmed story against Jacky when he has *not* been faithful (Clementine and Bess)is inexplicable. He's going to have to make some major changes in the next installment to be a realistic romantic hero.

Everything else in the plot seemed tired. It felt very contrived to have so many characters from past books be in
Apr 29, 2014 Venus rated it liked it
Jacky Faber is at it again in this eleventh installment in the Bloody Jack series. Having made port in her adopted city of Boston, Jacky is hoping to extend her fortunes by buying and Inn and a Theater. However, the rather puritanical attitude of those in Boston as well as the ethnic tension between the native born and those coming in from Ireland are making her time there difficult to say the least. Making more enemies than friends, Jacky is a little out of her depth when it comes to things on ...more
Jan 26, 2014 Indigo rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2014 Bailey rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2014 Keri rated it it was ok
This series has run its course and the author would be wise to wrap it up. The neverending search between Jaimy and Jacky is completely unbelievable and in this installment, it doesn't fit Jacky's observant and intelligent nature to not realize Jaimy is in Boston but in disguise. Please Mr. Meyer, let them find each other and end the series.
Feb 23, 2014 Erika rated it liked it
I love Jacky. She is one of my favorite characters. This wasn't favorite of the Bloody Jack books, but also not my least favorite. Half the book is a recap of the series, while I was grateful for the reminders since it has been a while, it was a little tedious. The last half of the book was the best. I don't like Jaimy, maybe he is supposed to be cool now that he has some awesome ninja moves, but he spends the whole book dressed up like an old hunchback. Not particularly appealing. I have the pe ...more
Marjorie Pfister
Nov 11, 2015 Marjorie Pfister rated it did not like it
The adventures are growing thin and very few characters are not despicable in one way or another (Jacky, get yourself under control; Jaime, you do not have the high road you think you have when it comes to philandering), but at least it seems like the adventures are winding down and we may be closing in on an eventual conclusion to this series.

I'm continuing with this series in spite of its shortcomings because Kathryn Kellgren is amazing and I want to listen to her all day, except that I worry
Jun 04, 2014 Anberlin rated it liked it
Shelves: wish-list
Well, I was surprised at the ratings of this book and after reading it I'm thinking 3 or 3.5 stars which is surprising for me as well given my other ratings for the series.

There isn't as much fun in this one as everything takes on a dramatic turn for the finale and Jacky becomes embroiled in the seedy business politics of Boston with old antagonists and new ones. Painful is not a term I'd use for the series but it was so during the reading of this book. Everything went downhill to the oblivious
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of L.A. Meyer's Bloody Jack series, and clearly, if I've made it to book #11, I must be. Yet, I found myself a bit disappointed in this installment. Although many of my fellow reviewers have often balked at the repetitive nature of the plots (Jacky begins the book freshly out of a jam, quickly finds herself in another, becomes an intricate part of some important piece of history and then executes an elaborate plan to get herself free again), I've never minding b ...more
Aug 29, 2014 Garren rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
At eleven books in, it's hard to say anything about this series without spoiling earlier books. Suffice to say, my girlfriend and I are eagerly awaiting the release of the final book in November. We're not waiting for the audiobook version and, instead, have decided to take turns reading it out loud to each other.

We like this series, a bit. I've also started two other people at work on the Bloody Jack series and they've been voracious. Why aren't you getting started? :)
Mar 12, 2015 L. rated it it was ok
This story brings Jacky back from her adventure in Portugal. Now she's in Boston and has to deal with some of the consequences of her former actions. All the spending that she did at high points during the previous few novels has emptied her accounts. Her practice of bringing Irish workers over to America has not endeared her to Bostonians. There's a bit of history here: corrupt cops working with the worst members of the immigrants, selling "insurance" which basically is extortion: display my s ...more
Kristi Bernard
May 24, 2015 Kristi Bernard rated it really liked it
Boston Jacky is the eleventh book in the Bloody Jack Adventures series. Author L.A. Meyer was the acclaimed writer of the Bloody Jack Adventure series, which followed the exploits of an impetuous heroine who had fought her way up from the squalid streets of London to become an adventurer of the highest order. Meyer created the character while listening to a radio show that played nineteenth century songs featuring young girls who dressed up like boys so they could be with their boyfriends when t ...more
Feb 03, 2016 Brendi rated it it was amazing
I seriously can't get enough of these books!
Fantastic! The audio version is superb.
Joelle Anthony
May 31, 2016 Joelle Anthony rated it really liked it
This was a good one. It set up a lot of things that don't have easy resolutions which makes the reader feel a bit off kilter and worried. However, honestly, it made me feel like Jaimy's not worthy of her because he's so judgmental, but I suppose they'll end up together because how can you have twelve books leading up to that and then not have the pay off? Still, I enjoyed this one and I especially love the Ravi/Jacky relationship.
Oct 12, 2016 J.S. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-ya
Bloody Jack is a generally entertaining series of books - although I could do without so much of Jacky's mooning over her dearly beloved Jaimy - but I've been disappointed with the last few installments. We're treated to an ever-increasing flood of Jacky's teen girl hormones and her eagerness to jump into bed with every beautiful boy or man (or girl) she meets - even if she doesn't DO anything with them (well, most of them). There's less of that in this book but we get a huge dose of her selfish ...more
Judy Walloch
Oct 21, 2016 Judy Walloch rated it it was ok
This book does not stand up in comparison to previous bloody Jack books. There is much repitition in the book. Repetition of events from previous books (which is un necessary but understandable), but also parts repeated with in the book, does the author think that the reader can not remember events from a few chapters before????
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • Christmas Present (The Chronicles of St Mary's #4.5)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • The Princetta
  • 風のアルビオン (Zero No Tsukaima, #2)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4)
  • The Accidental Highwayman: Being the Tale of Kit Bristol, His Horse Midnight, a Mysterious Princess, and Sundry Magical Persons Besides (Adventures of Kit Bristol, #1)
  • Hidden Truths
  • はたらく魔王さま! (2) (Hataraku Maou-sama!, #2)
  • The Misadventures of Maude March (Maude March Misadventures #1)
  • Hear the Wind Blow
  • My Lady Pirate (Heros of the Sea, #3)
  • The Traitor's Smile (Pimpernelles, #2)
  • Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • Cave of the Dark Wind (Never Land, #2)
  • Imagine: John Lennon
  • Alchemy and Meggy Swann
  • Pirate Code (Sea Witch Voyages, #2)
Louis A. Meyer is best known as the author of the Bloody Jack novels. He was also a painter and the author of two children's picture books, and he and his wife owned an art gallery called Clair de Loon in Bar Harbor.

Louis A. Meyer passed away on July 29, 2014 from refractory Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His final Jacky Faber book, Wild Rover No More, was published posthumously in September that year.
More about L.A. Meyer...

Bloody Jack (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack, #6)
  • Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)
  • The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay (Bloody Jack, #8)
  • The Mark of the Golden Dragon: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Jewel of the East, Vexation of the West, and Pearl of the South China Sea (Bloody Jack, #9)
  • Viva Jacquelina! Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Over the Hills and Far Away (Bloody Jack, #10)

“Thanks, Tink, for being a good brother to me," I say, misting up a bit. "She's a fine girl, and I just know you'll be very happy together." I give him a kiss on the cheek.

"The Brotherhood forever, Jacky," is what he softly says in return, encircling me in his warm embrace. "Forever.”
“I see you've sent another group of raggedy ship's boys off to sea... All that batch lacks is a tomboy girl to go with them to put them straight.” 4 likes