Start by marking “The Mesmer Menace (Gadgets and Gears, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mesmer Menace (Gadgets and Gears, #1)

The Mesmer Menace (Gadgets and Gears #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Welcome to the Amazing Automated Inn, home of twelve-year-old inventor Wally Kennewickett, his genius scientist parents, and hisdashing dog, Noodles. From the lightning harvester on the roof to the labs full of experiments in the dungeon, the inn is a wonderful place for a curious boy and his loyal dog to live. That is, until President Theodore Roosevelt himself calls the ...more
Published November 19th 2013 by Clarion Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Mesmer Menace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mesmer Menace

Jamie
Jun 19, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
This book is great for the kids. Adventure from a dogs perspective! Through in some science and steampunk and a dachshund's best friend and we get The Mesmer Menace!

When I first started this I was pleasantly surprised to be getting the story through Noodles' eyes. Very unique and fun and lighthearted. The President presents himself to the Kennewickett family for assistance. Yet while the adults are away Noodle's and his human, Wally have their own villian they must stop!

Each character is very
Susan Ferguson
Jun 12, 2015 Susan Ferguson rated it really liked it
A fun book using big words although the clever dachshund narrarator explains them. Noodles is Wally's dog and best friend. Wally's parents Oliver and Calypso are brilliant inventors, as is Wally. But Wally's cousins live with them and dislike Wally and Noodles. So Noodles keeps a close eye on them to keep Wally safe.
Jun 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Summary:
The story is narrated by Noodles, an adorable Dachshund, who is loyal to Wally Kennewickett, a twelve-year-old inventor. The two live in the family's Amazing Automated Inn, where automatons staff and run the inn, and the basement is a laboratory. The Kennewickett's are brilliant inventors and are often called away to solve problems. In this tale, President Roosevelt calls upon Wally's mom and dad to help solve the case of evil Mesmers controlling the minds of very powerful people. The on
Sharon Tyler
Mar 08, 2014 Sharon Tyler rated it really liked it
The Mesmer Menace: Gadgets and Gears is the first book in a new series for middle grade reader written by Kersten Hamilton and illustrations by James Hamilton. The Amazing Automated Inn is home of twelve-year-old inventor Wally Kennewickett, his genius scientist parents, his dashing dog Noodles, and a pair of snobby cousins. There is a lightning harvester on the roof and labs full of experiments in the dungeon. The inn is the perfect place for a curious boy and his loyal dog to live. Then Presid ...more
Allison Campbell
Feb 08, 2014 Allison Campbell rated it really liked it

If you’ve been desperate for middle-grade fiction with a steampunk theme, told from a dog’s point of view, look no further! Lilah and I enjoyed GADGETS AND GEARS, the first in the series THE MESMER MENACE narrated by a dachshund named Noodles and chronicling the 1902 adventures of Wally Kennewickett in his inventor parents’ Automated Inn. Lilah was particularly delighted that Wally’s dog serves as narrator. I was skeptical at first, but Hamilton pulls it o
Libby Ames
May 24, 2014 Libby Ames rated it liked it
The Amazing Automated Inn is the perfect home for twelve-year-old inventor Wally Kennewickett and his dog Noodles. Filled with science labs and run by an automaton staff, tourists are drawn to the Inn and its innovations. Trouble arises when the evil Mesmers try to take over the Inn (and eventually the world) with their mind controlling hypnosis. Will Wally and Noodles be able to stop their evil plan?

This children’s steampunk adventure novel is perfect for elementary readers. The vocabulary is m
Aleece
Dec 26, 2013 Aleece rated it really liked it
Oliver and Calypso Kennewickett are famous scientists and because of their intelligence President Theodore Roosevelt seeks their help in uncovering the problem of the Mesmers (or magicians) that are hypnotizing important people. However, things take a completely different turn when the problem comes to the Automated Inn after Wally's parents leave to help the President. So it is up to Wally and Noodles (the dachshund) to save the day.

I liked that the story was actually told from Noodles' perspec
Robyn
Wally Kennewickett is the son of two scientific geniuses living in The Amazing Automated Inn in the early 1900’s. The story is narrated by Wally’s dachshund Noodles, who explains difficult concepts and technologies through his puppy perspective. One day, Theodore Roosevelt arrives at the inn, begging them to help stop a secret society known as the Mesmers. The Mesmers have developed technologies to hypnotize world leaders and control their minds! The family must use their inventions to stop the ...more
Paula
Dec 10, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, clear, clear-group
Lemony Snicket meets steampunk in this new historical fantasy series by Kersten Hamilton. In The Mesmer Menace, Wally and his faithful sidekick, Noodles the dachshund, must figure out a way to defeat the evil Mesmers - magicians who are bent on controlling the minds of the world's leaders - before they are able to capture the president, Theodore Roosevelt. Filled with automatons, hypnotic pigeons, and a courageous canine, this is sure to appeal to young readers making the transition from early c ...more
Ayah Assem
You could also read this review on my blog:http://theoutrageousjourney.weebly.co...

I receiv an Arc for this book in an exchange of an honest review.Gadgets and Gears is book one of The Mesmer Menace children's fiction series.

Our narrator is a Dachshund, yes , a dog ! And as if that is not exciting enough, the dog, Noodles, lives with Walter ,his parents, the Kennewickett's, and his annoying cousins. But, it is not just a typical family; Walter and his parents are inventors! They are so good at
William Jackson
Nov 21, 2013 William Jackson rated it really liked it
The Mesmer Menace takes place during the Fall of 1902 in the Automation Inn.A group of evil magicians are controlling people by hypnotizing them. The protagonist of the novel is a dachshund named Noodles. His owner Wally is an aspiring scientist who lives with His mother, Calypso who is a scientist, and his father, Oliver who also happens to be a scientist. Wally's mother and father leave on government business and leave Wally to watch the house.

This book is told by the dog which is really nice.
Iamaby En
Narrated by an awesome dachshund named Noodles! I don't normally like junior books, but this one was great! Love it! One of my favourite lines narrated by Noodles: "The desire to rule the world appears to be the first symptom of a malfunctioning mind." This quote is about an automaton named Jeeves who went crazy @~@
Jasmyn
This was a really fun book. I loved the steam punk aspect and all the gadgets and robots that helped run the Amazing Automated Inn. Our storyteller, a cute little dachsund named Noodle, was such a great voice. I loved how his thoughts really brought the story to life and added a bit of comedy at times. When the mesmers come to invade the inn, it's up to Noodle and his owner to try and save them. Their creativity and bravery was great to watch.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest revie
J. Jefferson
Dec 05, 2014 J. Jefferson rated it really liked it
Told from the perspective of a dog, this book could definitely be used to teach point of view to students. Full of wonderful, colorful vocabulary, this adventure-like book would be easily enjoyed by voracious young readers over the age of eight.
Ariana Baxter
Feb 09, 2014 Ariana Baxter rated it really liked it
Mix a boy scientist with some history and adventure, add steampunk elements and a trusty dog and you end up with a delightful book to enjoy with your children.

*Book provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
Bethe
May 12, 2014 Bethe rated it liked it
Steampunk meets easy chapter book mystery! Narrated by a dog with Sherlock Holmesian vocabulary, this book features a favorite adventurous president, automatons, and pigeons. Nice beginning to a unique new series.
Chris
Apr 29, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
I won't bother trying to write a review for this one since I believe my enjoyment was dampened by the fuzzy brain I had from the sinus surgery recovery drugs (and pain) I was on while reading it.
Wendy
Jun 24, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: karla
Science Fiction
This story was told from the family dog's prospective. I think this may be interesting to young boy readers.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This slim little book is packed with cool robots and not-so-cool bad guys. Oh, and an eloquent dachshund narrator.
Kimberley Little
Apr 09, 2014 Kimberley Little rated it it was amazing
A fun, exciting romp of an adventure with Victorian Steampunk!
Barbara
Twelve-year-old Wally Kennewickett lives with his brilliant inventor parents and several automatons as well as his beloved dachshund, Noodles. A secret surprise visit from Teddy Roosevelt alerts the family to the threat of hypnotists who intend to control the minds of those in power. With his parents on the trail of the Mesmers, Wally is left behind with his arrogant cousins to contend with some trickery. The fact that the book, part of a planned series, is narrated by his dog provides a unique ...more
Alyssa Tabor (Tween You & Me)
Fun and quirky. Very fluffy plot.
Kim Heimbuch
Feb 12, 2014 Kim Heimbuch rated it really liked it
Review posting soon
lisa
Jul 08, 2013 lisa rated it really liked it
Fast read! And who doesn't want to read a book from the point of view of a dachshund.
I loved the new vocab, and the amazing abundance of alliteration throughout the story.
the plot was a bit rushed through, but for quick bit amusement you can beat it. A fun adventure full of cool gadgets, gizmos, and greedy magicians, I look forward to the final artwork and the sequel.
Katie Jane
Apr 14, 2014 Katie Jane rated it it was amazing
It's a dachshund narrator, people. What's not to love?
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
I think this book will be great for kids. The drawings (even when they aren't final yet) are adorable. For me, I couldn't connect with the POV, which is a dog. It just made it hard and I don't think this MG is very suitable for most adults.
Sara
Recommended. Better than expected. Steampunk. Emerging readers / Elementary grades.

Series: Gadgets & Gears

Readalikes:
Molly Moon series / Georgia Byng
The Inquisitor's Apprentice / Chris Morarity

Lynn
Sep 01, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it
Really cute start to what should be a fun series. Steampunk for the young set - all told by a dachshund. Inventors, evil geniuses, automatons and more!
Miss Clark
Jul 25, 2014 Miss Clark rated it it was ok
Shelves: mg

A simple steampunk MG novel that stars Teddy Roosevelt, inventors, mesmerizing pigeons and cute wiener dogs. Recommended for ages 7 +.
Rebecca
Has a fairly Saturday-morning-cartoon plot, and too young for middle school.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Gadgets and Gears (2 books)
  • The Ire of Iron Claw (Gadgets and Gears, #2)