The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation

The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  30 reviews
WithThe Moosewood Cookbook, Mollie Katzen changed the way a generation cooked and broughtvegetarian cuisine into the mainstream. In The Heart of the Plate, shecompletely reinvents the vegetarian repertoire, unveiling a collection of beautiful, healthful, and unfussy dishes—her “absolutely most loved.”Her new cuisine is light, sharp, simple, and modular; her inimitable voic...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2013)

Trish
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt deserves much credit for making this book as beautiful as it is. They have really made it the standard to reach. Katzen has done her cool line drawings--now in color!--on the endpages so with her tasty, (can I say thoughtful?), modern recipes her unique talents are again on display.

Now that I have had a chance to work with it a bit, I decided Katzen has chosen some real winners here. Her soups and salads are lovely to look at and probably worth the price of the book al...more
Jeanette
I really like the layout and variety and color photos. I can't give this a rating, because I've only tried the Tahini-Lemon Sauce, and a cookbook is only as good as its recipes, regardless of how beautiful it looks.
Kathleen
This book is beautiful, with lovely full-color photographs. At the same time, when you read it, it feels as homey as one of the Moosewood Cookbooks, famously produced in Mollie Katzen's handwriting.

What I love about Katzen's vegetarian cookbooks is that while they are not free of tofu (which to me is like the vegetarian version of Campbell's cream of chicken soup), they tend to use simple less processed ingredients. And this one is no exception.

I have never had a bad experience with a Katzen re...more
Cheryl
I am NOT a vegetarian in any sense of the word, I'm not even close to it. In fact, I have more meat in my diet than vegetables as the fiber in said vegetables creates havoc in my digestive system. And on top of that I never really developed a taste for anything more than corn, potatoes, green beans, onions or green peppers and even then, some of the above was used to season other foods.
So that being said, as I read through the many recipes...I found myself longing to try things I had never tast...more
Dana
First of all, this is an absolutely gorgeous book! The artwork is beautiful, the layout is great and the photographs are well done. I have had it checked out from the library as many times as I can renew it and I think I may have to purchase one of my own. Not only is it totally beautiful, but the recipes are great. They are well-written, easy to follow and delicious. I will never ever be able to make any of them look like they do in the photos, but that is ok. I have made the Forbidden Rice wit...more
Alisha
Great recipe book! After finding this gem at the library I reluctantly returned it.....but only after buying my own copy online at Abe Books. We are definitely not a vegetarian household....however we do love to add veg to our plates and this book is packed with fantastic recipes.

The recipes are varied yet practical. While some recipes venture out - there are no recipes in this book that will take 3 days to make or require 16 different ingredients that you must buy online at a specialty shop. T...more
Betsy Dudley
Lovely vegetarian recipes, colorful illustrations, information is presented well. Nice addition to my home!
Virginia Campbell
Legendary chef and cookbook author Mollie Katzen offers up a fresh feast of palate pleasers in "The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation". Ms. Katzen's original "Moosewood Cookbook" revolutionized the theory and thinking behind vegetarian and vegan cooking, and it remains a venerated classic to this day. With "The Heart of the Plate", we are treated to the author's exuberance, experience, and expertise in refining and reinventing vegetarian and vegan dishes which will temp...more
Darren
Through this rather large book the author promises to redefine vegetarian recipes for a whole new generation. A broad promise, to be sure and something that perhaps this meat eater might not fully appreciate…?

Certainly vegetarianism can have a bit of a poor reputation, if only through tired-old preconceptions about the relative boring selection of recipes that invariably are to be found. So anything that shows that even vegetarians can have interesting, exciting, tasty and varied food must be a...more
Toni
I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but I have flirted with it many times over the years and am constantly looking for ways to add more veggie variety into my diet. Katzen is most known for the Moosewood Cookbooks which were a hearty staple of the average vegetarian kitchen for years. The subtitle suggests that this book if for a "new generation" and that is reflected in the contents. The hippie, granola feel of the Moosewood books is mostly gone and replaced by color photos and illustrations. Th...more
Kim
All but one of the recipes I've made from this book has been outstanding. The one that wasn't outstanding wasn't offensive, just a little bland. I'd totally recommend this book for anyone interested in dabbling in vegetarian cooking. I have an older Katzen cookbook I turn to now and again, but this book's recipes are much more flavorful and "mainstream" than the hippyish Moosewood recipes of old.
Who doesn't love Mollie Katzen and her great hand illustrated cookbooks? While this one isn't hand illustrated (except for the beautiful end pages)it has the same spirit of those old beloved books (and in classic Mollie style has zero smug veg pretension). Great inspiration whether you eat everything (and just like veggies) or don't do animal products at all. I haven't had a chance yet to try everything that sounds good (and the book is due back at the library) so I'll probably update again afte...more
Heather
While the recipes and pictures depict fresh, vibrant food, I find myself hesitant to cook most of it. I cannot imagine that (for the most part) just one recipe from this cookbook would be filling enough, and I don't plan on making multiple dishes for a meal.
Bonnie
Okay, I actually made the Enchanted Broccoli Forest a couple of times in my early Mollie Katzenjammer years. This is a lovely, photo-filled collection of recipes that is missing the hand-written text, but includes a variety of cultures and intriguing-sounding vegetarian/vegan dishes that will satisfy even this carnivorous household (or at least the adults in residence).
Tmorgan
Delicious! Beautiful. Lovely illustrations. Only wish there were a few more photos.
Cindy
I have the kindle version on loan from the library. I'm really enjoying the book. The introduction made me want to go play in the kitchen. I love the drawings even though they don't show up that well on the kindle.
My daughter and I have tried several of the recipes and liked our results.
Anastasia Tuckness
Katzen does a great job of offering delicious flavor and texture combinations, while also encouraging you to be creative in the kitchen. This book has many recipes with simple, easy-to-find ingredients, and simple prep (although there are more complex ones as well). The recipe photos are beautiful, and the recipe headnotes make me feel like she's in the kitchen with me, sharing her years of experience. Highly recommended for those who want to experiment with well-balanced, flavored, yet healthy...more
Catherine
The latest from Moosewood Cookbook author Mollie Katzen. Nice chapter about salads and sauces; otherwise only a few recipes that I felt like I have to try.
Mills College Library
641.5636 K1996 2013
Janet
I love the look of this text. The recipes are a unique blend of colors and flavours that aren't always commonly paired. I am not vegan only because I eat eggs so the recipes that contain dairy (of which there were more than a few) I skipped. Most of the recipes are nutritious but some aren't (like the desserts, but they still look delicious!) I can't wait to try some of the recipes (soups, for instance) during the cooler months of autumn and winter.
Michelle
Lovely book from a doyenne of vegetarian cooking. Many recipes can be easily made vegan. Liked the recipes but some seemed too fussy or foodie for me. Now, I'd gladly eat them! Just don't know if I have time to make 4 or 5 of them for dinner while also preparing food for the nonvegan family! LOL Also, how I wish there was nutritional information! Even so, these were a delight and the book was a pleasure to browse and read.
GONZA
The bible of vegetarian and vegan recipes, well explained and with pictures (almost always), collected in all parts of the world and with ingradients not too hard to find.

La bibbia delle ricette vegetariane e vegane, ben spiegate e con le immagini (quasi sempre), raccolte in tutte le parti del mondo e con ingradienti non troppo difficili da trovare.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT FOR THE PREVIEW!
LaLa
Jun 21, 2014 LaLa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: foodie
anything that makes me want to cook vegetarian is a big success. also i like when chefs share the recipes that they cook at home- that they come back to over and over again for years and years.
Tim
come on, now. every 22 year old anarchist liberal arts degree major who moves to california after under-graduation knows mollie katzen and her sly moosey ways of seducing you into this commie vegetarianism lifestyle. pick up the old stuff. this new book is wont for some 2010s self-awareness. nothing about these new recipes screams innovation. maybe i needed to be hungrier, but jesus - more ways to toast farro?
Heart of the Plate had great recipes and I particularly enjoyed the sauce portion of the book. It was a unique way to use vegetables and they all sounded good. I wasn't crazy about the physical book, it seemed too formal for a cookbook and an uncomfortable shape. But those are minor problems.
Jo Calabrese
Wonderful text and great recipes, many are vegan.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This was ridiculously awesome. I had the local library's copy and was marking all the recipes i'd like to try, and when it ended up being almost half the whole book i decided to heck with it, i'm buying this one.
Wendy
Halfway through this book, I already had a grocery list of ingredients I haven't cooked with before! Farro, dried chick peas, yellow split peas- I can hardly decide what to make first!
Bunny
The problem with wanting to go vegetarian is the lack of vegetarian recipes that make me actually want to renounce meat products.

I found two recipes I like. So, that's something.
Carol
Saw several recipes I'd like to try. Always enjoy reading her cookbooks.
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom
  • River Cottage Veg Every Day!
  • Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!
  • Every Grain Of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and the Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • Mayim's Vegan Table: More than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Mr. Wilkinson's Vegetables: A Cookbook to Celebrate the Garden
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You: More than 100 Delicious One-Pot Meals for Your 1.5-Quart/Litre Slow Cooker
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
Educated at the Eastman School of Music, Cornell University, and the San Francisco Art Institute. Although her formal training was as an artist and musician, she exhibited natural cooking inclinations from a very early age, and cooked professionally - in restaurants and as a caterer - for ten years. In 1973 she was one of the founders of the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, and during her...more
More about Mollie Katzen...
The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking) The New Moosewood Cookbook The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up